Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post Match Views - Charlton v Burton

Comments

• Options

Lee Bowyer says that Charlton won't be taking their foot off the gas just yet despite healthy points cushion in play-off race

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/lee-bowyer-says-that-charlton-wont-be-taking-their-foot-off-the-gas-just-yet-despite-healthy-points-cushion-in-play-off-race/

• Options
    LouisMend said:
    Fortunately we don't have to take risks with players now, with the gap to 7th. Unless Bielik is fully fit on Saturday, there's no need to play him
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Parker didn't show nothing. I thought he put in a shift and did OK. He made several crucial bits of defending from corners and won several free-kicks. He kept their defenders occupied. He showed far more than Vetokele of late
    I also thought his flick on gor Taylor early doors was a sign of ghings to come but yhen he never got a decent ball again .. think the partnership has potential
  • Options
    Enjoyed the first half.  After the opening five minutes I had the feeling we were about to deliver an absolute thrashing for Burton, but it all calmed down into a straightforward win.  Whether Saturday took a lot out of everyone or the pitch was heavy after the rain, the second half was a bit of a drudge but they saw the game out. 

Nice to see Reeves make good use of his gigantic, weird forehead!  A well made and well taken goal.
  • Options
    Awful 2nd half......and that after having a terrific first 5 mins when we could (& should) have been 3 up. If there was one game where "comfortable 4-0 home win" was so apt then this was it. 

Cullen MOTM by a country mile......the rest just awful. Phillips kicking.....wtf  ??  Get Maxwell in there now.

May out !!!
    A few comments on Phillips' kicking in the thread but no one ever suggested Dean Kiely was dropped despite having exactly the same problems.
  • Options
    Sky highlights:

https://www.skysports.com/charlton-athletic

Looked a soft penalty award for us, at the very least was an extremely theatrical fall from Taylor. The reaction of the Burton players suggests it wasn’t a complete dive but I’m surprised the didn’t protest a bit. 

Goodnes knows what Bauer was doing dangling his arm out there. Definitely a penalty. 

Great header from Reeves. A proper thumper. Love a headed goal from a midfielder on the run.

Didn’t get to watch the full match but sounded like we were a bit lacklustre. Was always likely after Saturday. Job done though. It’ll take an almighty great balls up to finish outside the playoffs now. 
  • Options
    If we can keep that Bielik, Cullen, Aribo and Williams diamond in tact for the playoffs, with Reeves and Fosu off the bench,  I’m very confident.

We looked nowhere near as good today, but all things considered it was a good performance, and a good result. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Following Bow's update I am full of respect for Joe Airibo.  Joe it seems is suffering from exactly the same symptoms as me and yet still managed to play. Whereas I, (an otherwise ever present this season) couldn't even make it to my seat for the past two games. 

“Joe is ill,” he explained,

“Yesterday he came into work, didn’t feel good and he said he got worse through the night. He keeps coughing, he’s chesty. He looked like he wasn’t his normal self, that’s why we brought him off. He wasn’t his normal self, that was obvious to see.”

• Options
    Despite playing poorly, in many ways it was a more comfortable win than Saturday. Burton were a bit toothless going forwards. Not sure it is right to dig players out, it is a positive to play poorly and win the odd game, and in the case of Burton, I think they are tricky opponents and are in decent form. What will be worrying is if we carry on playing like that.

We do have a few what could be key players that need to improve their levels. Hopefully the coming games will give us an opportunity to peak as the play-offs approach.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Following Bow's update I am full of respect for Joe Airibo.  Joe it seems is suffering from exactly the same symptoms as me and yet still managed to play. Whereas I, (an otherwise ever present this season) couldn't even make it to my seat for the past two games. 

“Joe is ill,” he explained,

“Yesterday he came into work, didn’t feel good and he said he got worse through the night. He keeps coughing, he’s chesty. He looked like he wasn’t his normal self, that’s why we brought him off. He wasn’t his normal self, that was obvious to see.”

Why did he start?
    Because Morgan played Monday for U23s, I guess, which was always a risky decision with Bielik and Williams out.
  • Options
    Struggling to understand why Purrington is so consistently low rated by what seems the majority?
    Absolutely I see him improving every game
  • Options
    Struggling to understand why Purrington is so consistently low rated by what seems the majority?
    Because they need someone to take Morgan Fox's place 
    He played well tonight other than the mad 5 seconds which did nearly cost us a goal.
    Naby Sarr dropped a clanger in first minute which should of been a goal as well.
    Taylor should of scored from Purrington pass just before the penalty.

The lad's doing fine.
    I agree, as Bows would say, he is what he is, a left back. He defends very well but is a bit limited going forward.

All in all he has been a very good loan signing. We desperately needed a left back and he has a) played consistently well and b) is fit and has stayed that way.

Just imagine if he had not signed?

Actually, don’t. It is the stuff of nightmares. Just say a silent pray that he stays fit.
  • Options
    Purrington has tried to get forward more of late no doubt with the encouragement of the management. We were told he is a steady Eddie and he is, although has been at fault for some goals conceded recently.

Others have pointed out that you need attacking full backs or at least one when playing the diamond formation and I think his backwards sideways mindset does him no favours. An attacking outlet like Da Silva he certainly isn't and apart from Djiksteels performance on the other flank v Pompey the RB slot has also been been lacking attack wise IMO. On the plus side he has given us a bit more height and better balance in Page's absence.
  • Options
    Blucher said:
    We certainly got away with one tonight, although this was always going to be difficult game against a decent footballing side who were unbeaten in their last seven away league games. That was particularly so with Bielik and Williams out and a couple of other players carrying strains (Aribo and Sarr were mentioned in that respect by Bowyer on the weekend). Saturday's game clearly took a bit out of the team and a three quarters empty and freezing Valley probably didn't help either.

I thought that we made a very good start, got our noses in front thanks to Taylor's trickery in the box, but then conceded a penalty when Burton opened us up rather too easily down Chris Solly's side. A great cross by Taylor and Reeves' diving header (his 4th goal of the season) edged us ahead, although I thought at half time that there would probably be further goals.

in the event, Burton dominated the second half but, for all their possession, they lacked a cutting edge in the final third and Dillon was not unduly troubled. 

In terms of our players, I thought that Bauer was excellent again at the back, repeatedly winning headers and stepping out to win the ball as a result of his superior reading of the game. Naby was a little off his game tonight and the full backs were very average.

Cullen turned in a man of the match performance and effectively held the team together. With two of Saturday's quartet out injured and Joe Aribo not fully fit, that was just as well. Apart from his goal, Reeves didn't contribute much, whist Fosu turned in a typically frustrating performance, although he's much better out wide than at the tip of the diamond, where he seems to lack the necessary craft and intelligence required in that position.

Up front, Lyle Taylor baled us out and he was, ultimately, probably the difference between the two teams. Josh Parker tried hard and won some useful free kicks, although his touch is heavy and he carries very little goal threat. Igor got on for a late cameo but looked a little flat-footed and off the pace and we have to pray that Taylor stays fit until the end of May.

An undeserved win perhaps but a great result in all the circumstances. Tonight's results probably leave us only needing a point a game from the last nine to guarantee a top 6 finish, although overhauling Pompey - a distinct possibility - would give us a second leg semi-final at home.

Excellent summary. 
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    Purrington has tried to get forward more of late no doubt with the encouragement of the management. We were told he is a steady Eddie and he is, although has been at fault for some goals conceded recently.

Others have pointed out that you need attacking full backs or at least one when playing the diamond formation and I think his backwards sideways mindset does him no favours. An attacking outlet like Da Silva he certainly isn't and apart from Djiksteels performance on the other flank v Pompey the RB slot has also been been lacking attack wise IMO. On the plus side he has given us a bit more height and better balance in Page's absence.
    I think he has improved us. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    On the subject of Parker, I thought it was interesting that he took up the Lyle Taylor being next to the  goalkeeper position when we had corners. Trying to keep Taylor free of a yellow? 
    He's limited as a player, but definitely put a shift in. 
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Yes of course compared to playing people out of position as we had to. If he was that good however he would have been playing in Championship Rothetham's 1st eleven and not loaned out to relegation favourites Wimbledon.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Parker didn't show nothing. I thought he put in a shift and did OK. He made several crucial bits of defending from corners and won several free-kicks. He kept their defenders occupied. He showed far more than Vetokele of late
    I think you are in a very small party tonight if you think Parker put in a decent shift . In fact I think it may consist just of you. 

A+ for effort, F for attainment I'd say.
  • Options
    Sky highlights:

https://www.skysports.com/charlton-athletic

Looked a soft penalty award for us, at the very least was an extremely theatrical fall from Taylor. The reaction of the Burton players suggests it wasn’t a complete dive but I’m surprised the didn’t protest a bit. 

Goodnes knows what Bauer was doing dangling his arm out there. Definitely a penalty. 

Great header from Reeves. A proper thumper. Love a headed goal from a midfielder on the run.

Didn’t get to watch the full match but sounded like we were a bit lacklustre. Was always likely after Saturday. Job done though. It’ll take an almighty great balls up to finish outside the playoffs now. 
    Slightly surprised they didn't show Fosu hitting the bar, rather than the 2 wide Burton shots.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:

Yes of course compared to playing people out of position as we had to. If he was that good however he would have been playing in Championship Rothetham's 1st eleven and not loaned out to relegation favourites Wimbledon.
    So basically, of the players we have available to us he is the best option.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:

So basically, of the players we have available to us he is the best option.
    Hobson's choice,
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Defended ok late on but offered little in attack. He could improve and play an important role in the weeks to come but he looks half the player that Igor is. His touch looks very heavy.

Parker played behind the front two when Fosu went off on 80 mins and then left-midfield for the final couple of minutes when we went 4-4-2., with Marshall wide right.

• Options
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:

So you agree he has improved us, that’s all that  needs to be said. We’re no longer getting run all over the shop by the opposition’s right mid, so he’s been a great loan addition.
  • Options
    LouisMend said:

Lee Bowyer says that Charlton won't be taking their foot off the gas just yet despite healthy points cushion in play-off race

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/lee-bowyer-says-that-charlton-wont-be-taking-their-foot-off-the-gas-just-yet-despite-healthy-points-cushion-in-play-off-race/

I think Reeves may need to consider adopting the same hairstyle as Parker and Williams...

Did he head the rest of his hair off?
  • Options
    I wonder if Bowyer believes in resting the team when they’re knackered? Sometimes a rest is just what they need. Send them the Margate for a nice walk along the beach and a game of skittles.