Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post Match Views - Charlton v Burton

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Oggy Red said:
    CAFCOlly said:

Also, Phillips is a solid goalkeeper but his kicking is awful. I don’t agree that it’s not important as suggested by some on here. It is a justified concern that needs to be addressed - so many times his kicks head straight into Row Z which leads to unnecessary self inflicted pressure. Very frustrating as with decent distribution he’d be a more than capable goalkeeper. 

Yeah, his kicking could be more consistantly better. But this is the Third Division remember; good players at this level still have some flaws in their game, which is why they're playing in the Third Division instead of the Prem.

Our defence seem happy enough with Phillips. And his manager is picking him every game, when there's a very decent keeper on the bench, who's played at a higher level and much more experienced.

He's conceded just 8 goals in 12 matches since being recalled to the 1st team on Jan 1st.
    In that period he's had 4 clean sheets, including 3 in a row in January.

That's a record that any young keeper would be proud of. And Dillon's shown very decent handling and fine shot stopping. That's why his manager is picking him every week.
    Except I haven’t criticised his overall goalkeeping ability nor am I saying he shouldn’t be our number 1. However, this doesn’t mean that parts of his game shouldn’t be scrutinised or discussed, like with every other player in the team. 

Phillips has come on leaps and bounds this season and is rightly our number one. However, his kicking does need to improve and putting this idea forward shouldn’t mean taking away from his overall value and contribution to the team, which is what’s been implied in your post. 
  • Options
    Weird how both games against Burton have ended up with both teams getting a penalty before we get the winner from a relatively unlikely source, after not playing very well!
  • Options
    Terrible second half performance but great result .

Worst double I've ever see us get in a season, bizarre to be so poor in both matches yet win both.  Burton must be sick of us!
    I think you're being too harsh on us.
    We looked a bit leggy, but with a couple of first teamers out tonight we did a thoroughly professional job on them second half & won the game reasonably comfortably.
    I never thought they were going to equalise. 
  • Options
    We were leggy and had made 4 changes. We were below par and got away with it. Parked, done, onto Saturday.

The general quality of Bielik and the driving thrust and energy of Williams were noticeably missed tonight
  • Options

Worst double I've ever see us get in a season, bizarre to be so poor in both matches yet win both.  Burton must be sick of us!
    We looked a bit leggy, but with a couple of first teamers out tonight we did a thoroughly professional job on them second half & won the game reasonably comfortably.
    I think that was more down to their lack of cutting edge than good play by us, as our passing wasn't good and we also looked toothless in the second half.

Nobody was outstanding for us today. Dillon's keeping was fine but his kicking unacceptable. Defence was reasonable, Cullen was generally very good, Reeves ineffective other than the goal, Aribo was quiet (but then he was ill), Fosu was frustrating and contributed little. Taylor was more lively, Parker worked hard and did some of the dirty stuff well (defensive work, winning free kicks) without ever looking like an attacking threat.

The subs didn't contribute much either
  • Options
    Great result!
    Didn’t get to see the match tonight, so catching up via this thread. I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a split in opinions as there is over Parker. Sounded like he tried at least, which is the least you’d expect. Can’t be easy when you don’t get a run of games, which Sarr explained hampered his own progress. Perhaps it might be the same with Parker. 
    I thought Igor was pretty good in the second half on Saturday. 
    Big gap now. Automatics mathematically possible still. You never know what can happen in this league. 
    We need Bielik back pronto. And Williams too, to a lesser extent perhaps. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

At least Taylor didn't get booked tonight.

The 37th match of the season has passed. And next Saturday, Lyle ...... you can play out of your skin.

Red card for a two footed lunge coming up!
  • Options
    With regards to both Taylor and Bielik

Do they each now have to survive until the end of the season without picking up 15 bookings to avoid another ban?
  • Options
    Quite enjoyed the 1st half, thought at half time we fully deserved our lead and as usual,it should've/could've been more. Man alive,that 2nd half was appalling,we looked leggy and a better team than Burton would've got something out of the game. I think I would've dozed off if I hadn't been so cold, such a boring half of football. Cullen as already mentioned was MOTM by a country mile. Fosu, Purrington and Phillips poor tonight. Got to be pleased with the 3 points though. Onwards and upwards.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Great result!
    Didn’t get to see the match tonight, so catching up via this thread. I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a split in opinions as there is over Parker. Sounded like he tried at least, which is the least you’d expect. Can’t be easy when you don’t get a run of games, which Sarr explained hampered his own progress. Perhaps it might be the same with Parker. 
    I thought Igor was pretty good in the second half on Saturday. 
    Big gap now. Automatics mathematically possible still. You never know what can happen in this league. 
    We need Bielik back pronto. And Williams too, to a lesser extent perhaps. 
    Parker comes across as a hardworking journeyman - more or less what I expected.
  • Options

I think that was more down to their lack of cutting edge than good play by us, as our passing wasn't good and we also looked toothless in the second half.

Nobody was outstanding for us today. Dillon's keeping was fine but his kicking unacceptable. Defence was reasonable, Cullen was generally very good, Reeves ineffective other than the goal, Aribo was quiet (but then he was ill), Fosu was frustrating and contributed little. Taylor was more lively, Parker worked hard and did some of the dirty stuff well (defensive work, winning free kicks) without ever looking like an attacking threat.

The subs didn't contribute much either
    Agree with all of that, but they are a decent team, especially away from  home, but we were better & deseved the win imo.
    I just think it's harsh to say we were terrible.
    I've seen us far worse literally hundreds of games. 
  • Options
    Three points, one moment of quality for second goal, but overall a poor performance. Parker did nothing, Aribo and Fosu disappeared. Does Phillips even practice kicking?
  • Options
    Phil said:
    I’d like to post something meaningful but I’m still pissing myself after Brayford’s shot in the 83rd minute!
    I was more amused by his hairstyle which seemed designed to show off his bald patch!
  • Options
    Three points, one moment of quality for second goal, but overall a poor performance. Parker did nothing, Aribo and Fosu disappeared. Does Phillips even practice kicking?
    His kicking was okay early on but got worse as the match went on.
  • Options
    Should, could, have been 2 up in initial few minutes, deserved 2-1 at half time, 2nd half awful but a great ugly 3 points.
  • Options
    Great result.

Tired performance, but Cullen outstanding and held it all together. Fosu was poor at the top of the diamond. For me he did not seem to understand the role and was running in with the strikers instead of dropping into the hole. I think he would have been better left side, Aribo right and Reeves at the point.

Interestingly our second goal came after Reeves and Aribo swapped sides. Good call from someone.

Parker is not the answer for me up front. Tries hard and better in the air than Veto, but nothing for a defences to worry about.

I think we all need to hope and pray that Taylor and Vetokele can forge a partnership in the coming weeks.
  • Options
    No Bielik, No Williams, Aribo Average, and Cullen MOM. Everyone else put in a shift.
    But low on quality.
    Parker won a few free kicks, and ran around, but doesn't offer a goal threat.
    Reeves has scored 3 vital goals now, 
    It was always going to be after the lord Mayor's show. To get 6 points from the two home games was good.

Without the class of Williams and Bielik we looked so average but Cullen held the team together and 11 points on Peterborough means do we freewheel to the Play offs or go hell for leather.

Fitness at the end of 46 matches may decide our season.

• Options
    One or two of those off-sides in the first half from the lino. I want a second opinion from his guide dog.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No Bielik, No Williams, Aribo Average, and Cullen MOM. Everyone else put in a shift.
    But low on quality.
    Parker won a few free kicks, and ran around, but doesn't offer a goal threat.
    Reeves has scored 3 vital goals now, 
    It was always going to be after the lord Mayor's show. To get 6 points from the two home games was good.

Without the class of Williams and Bielik we looked so average but Cullen held the team together and 11 points on Peterborough means do we freewheel to the Play offs or go hell for leather.

Fitness at the end of 46 matches may decide our season.

Very good point - always good to have winning momentum though. Fine balance with being knackered for the final push.

LB is very new to all of this but seems to be astute in many ways also.

Going to be interesting that’s for sure.

Dont want to see another last years Shrewsbury performances in the play offs as we never really looked at the races.
  • Options
    Struggling to understand why Purrington is so consistently low rated by what seems the majority?
    Because they need someone to take Morgan Fox's place 
    He played well tonight other than the mad 5 seconds which did nearly cost us a goal.
    Naby Sarr dropped a clanger in first minute which should of been a goal as well.
    Taylor should of scored from Purrington pass just before the penalty.

The lad's doing fine.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Awful 2nd half......and that after having a terrific first 5 mins when we could (& should) have been 3 up. If there was one game where "comfortable 4-0 home win" was so apt then this was it. 

Cullen MOTM by a country mile......the rest just awful. Phillips kicking.....wtf  ??  Get Maxwell in there now.

May out !!!
  • Options
    3 terrible kicks out by Phillips straight out  for a throw marred an aim performance from him, nothing he could do with their pen

i thought the Lino running outside the east stand was very poor but that was from north Upper and peeps I. The west stand said he got a lot of first half offsides correct. If so, Lyle Taylor baby needs to have a look at the line.

i thought ours was a nailed on pen and theirs was a bit borderline. Didn’t see it well at the other end but the younger lads next to me saw arm out and video kinda supports that.

great second goal from us. 

Faorly cold and attritional second half. I did t think we pushed on as much as we should, attacking subs front bowyer though, fair play. 

We won on a cold, previously wet evening, let’s move on 
  • Options
    edited March 2019