Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post Match Views - Charlton v Burton

Comments

• Options

At least Taylor didn't get booked tonight.

The 37th match of the season has passed. And next Saturday, Lyle ...... you can play out of your skin.

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Parker didn't show nothing. I thought he put in a shift and did OK. He made several crucial bits of defending from corners and won several free-kicks. He kept their defenders occupied. He showed far more than Vetokele of late
    All those defensive headers from Parker from their corners. He's a poor man's Shaun Bartlett. 
  • Options
    I’d like to post something meaningful but I’m still pissing myself after Brayford’s shot in the 83rd minute!
  • Options
    Table looking good now.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Parker offered far more than Igor. He held the ball up well at times, and won some clever free kicks. He tracked back and defended set pieces, too. He’s not going to offer what Grant had. Not sure what people are expecting from him in all honesty. Overly criticised IMHO. 

Also, Phillips is a solid goalkeeper but his kicking is awful. I don’t agree that it’s not important as suggested by some on here. It is a justified concern that needs to be addressed - so many times his kicks head straight into Row Z which leads to unnecessary self inflicted pressure. Very frustrating as with decent distribution he’d be a more than capable goalkeeper. 

All in all a solid result that we ground out. Fair play to the team and manager - well deserved 6 points from two good teams. 

COYR
  • Options
    Not a great game. We looked a bit leggy but did the minimum required to win. Play Offs virtually guaranteed now. Have to win three more games than Barnsley out of 9 remaining! They need to collapse basically. Can't see it, but Sunderland and Barnsley may put pressure on each other. We need to play better than that anyway.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Also given the Player Marks so far, did I see a different Sarr to all of you? I saw numerous beastings of their forwards, a few huge tackles and some lovely balls over the top. So in short I saw the usual. Was it just too cold to appreciate his charms or something?
    He did do all of those things but he also gave the ball away far too much and made a howler in the opening few seconds that should have led to a goal - I stand by my 7.

He wasn't bad, but he wasn't as good as he has been of late.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes, he was up and down but overall solid at the back. 7 is fair.
  • Options
    I think we played reasonably well first half and played tired the 2nd but decent result all in all. 
    Not a fan of Parker as I just don’t see anything in him but he will do the ugly stuff. Phillips kicking is never good, I think he takes his eye off the ball before he kicks. Hope he works on that as his shot stopping and general handling seem to be quite good 
  • Options
    Three points, phew, but talk about chalk and cheese with Saturday.

Bowyer, can we please never play Fosu again, he's woeful and makes it more difficult for those around him. If I was one of the more senior players tonight i'd be tearing him a new one, lazy, no work ethic.work rate. Pearce as Captain should pull him for tonight.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    CAFCOlly said:
    Parker offered far more than Igor. He held the ball up well at times, and won some clever free kicks. He tracked back and defended set pieces, too. He’s not going to offer what Grant had. Not sure what people are expecting from him in all honesty. Overly criticised IMHO. 

Also, Phillips is a solid goalkeeper but his kicking is awful. I don’t agree that it’s not important as suggested by some on here. It is a justified concern that needs to be addressed - so many times his kicks head straight into Row Z which leads to unnecessary self inflicted pressure. Very frustrating as with decent distribution he’d be a more than capable goalkeeper. 

All in all a solid result that we ground out. Fair play to the team and manager - well deserved 6 points from two good teams. 

COYR
    Absolutely this! 100% agree! Phillips kicking is extremely concerning! Not good enough....to add to that I can understand him playing out to the back four every once in a while but I hope we are not using this tactic to counter his abilities to kick!
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Credit to Burton who pressed us up to the edge of our box and passed the ball well. Just as well for us they lacked a cutting edge plus Bauer was very solid at the back.

Decent first half, second we couldn't break Albion down and seemed to lack any fluency.

Parker and Fosu didn't impress and showed just how much Igor does for the side.

Cullen tried to make things by happen but the team didn't click. 

Very good goal from Reeves, thankfully he can't check back onto his other foot with a header.

No booking for Taylor is excellent news especially as he's playing well and scoring again.
  • Options
    Not a lover of Parker but at least he tries and puts himself about. Igor looked lazy and did not seemed to be bothered when he came on, Igor came on as fresh legs but would have prefered to have left Fosu on who again was trying hard. I thought we played really well against Portsmouth but we were very poor tonight, but luckily Burton was orse. 
  • Options
    Job done, lads were tired but dug deep. 

Cullen, Bauer and Reeves decent. 
    Purrington poor imo. 

Sarr mistake waiting to happen. 
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Well apart from the first 30mins I thought that was very much a repeat of the performance at the Pirelli; I thought Burton dominated proceedings for large parts of the game which was disappointing as after the early stages we could have been 3-1 up

Both Taylor and Fosu were unfortunate not to take opportunities that came their way and was a relief that we managed to retake the lead

Agree with other comments that Cullen was MoTM by a long distance whilst apart from the opening exchanges felt that Fosu became a passenger and was surprised he lasted so long... I was impressed with Parker who never got a chance on goal yet felt his work rate to win fouls (ensuring the pressure on our defence slackened) and tracking back showed a good team effort from him

Little worried about Aribo going off... He didnt look as sharp tonight and is always a concern to see a player going straight down the tunnel after being replaced
  • Options
    Awful game especially the second half which was 45 minutes of garbage. Midfield apart from Cullen did very little - Fosu was very poor and Aribo wasn't much better.

Parker put in a shift and helped out in defence - not as bad as many are making out. Taylor did what was needed.

I thought Naby played well after his early error and Dillon's kicking seemed to get worse as the match went on.

Pleased that we won but if our midfield performs like that we'll struggle against stronger opponents.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thought Burton looked a few good players away from being a very decent side. Just lacked any potency. 

Probably in the top 2 sides to visit The Valley this season.
  • Options
    That was very poor but the result was terrific.  Awful second half and shows how much we miss the class of Williams and Bielik. Lucky that Burton were weak up front. I was cold and bored.  But I’d have taken six points from these two games in a heartbeat and we’d have to really mess up to miss out on at least a play off place from this position. I’ll be awarding some of the lowest marks on t’other thread in a minute for a game that we actually won but at the end of that day we won and that’s that. 
  • Options
    Dire game. I agree that Parker worked his socks off. 
  • Options
    Thought Burton looked a few good players away from being a very decent side. Just lacked any potency. 

Probably in the top 2 sides to visit The Valley this season.
    Burton tried to play football but had no attacking threat.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    PWR

Two doubles in two matches, A double double, a double bubble.
    Not a great game, but a banana skin avoided and three very handy points,
    No real controversy, both penalties were right, and the winning goal was excellent, Solly released Taylor, he looked up and delivered a superb ball in and Reeves headed in well.
    I suppose there was some question about the generally poor display by the ref and the east Stand lino, but in the Taylor offside incident the officials were absolutely right. Players who earn their living from the game should read and learn the laws of the game they earn from.
    As for the game, a deserved win overall, we hit the woodwork from Fosu early on, and generally had the best attacking play, Phillips didn't have a lot to do, the penalty certainly wasn't his fault.
    Of the back line Bauer and Solly were the best ones, Naby great and a bit dodgy too, and Purrington was pressured more than usual.
    However the man of the match ahead of Taylor was Cullen, who was everywhere doing everything in the absence of Belik and a quiet Aribo who I assume was carrying a knock. Reeves played well and scored, Fosu not as good as Saturday.
    Parker was okish, a better target man than grant and has that Taylor quality of drawing a foul when crouching over the ball. Not really up to the standard of Grant though, the great thing was how Taylor has got his mojo back, and he wasn't booked either so all good there.
    It was really blimmin cold, and the crowd were positive but few in number and shivering a lot.
    Now we re-group for Bristol Rovers.
  • Options
    Of the Burton players Id like to give credit to their Centre Back: Buxton... Dunno how he did it but midway through the first half ended up right in front of me, on the concrete in front of the East Stand

Bloke just got up and jogged back to his position - Know had that been me Id have been in bloody agony
  • Options
    Job done against a very good football team. If they had a goalscorer or two they would be challenging for the play offs. 
  • Options
    Wow that was a pretty average performance after Saturday's brilliant performance. However 3 points, increased the gap to 6th, no booking for Taylor and gave some players a rest.

Cullen mom by a mile.

fosu and Parker weak links in the chain.