Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Burton | Tue 12 Mar | 7:45pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2019
    As I reported after the away game at the Pirelli, Burton are no mugs and we executed the classic smash and grab that night. Enforced changes for us in midfield after an exhausting performance on Saturday and with Burton's 7 game unbeaten away league run this year, it'll be a close encounter. Hope I'm wrong and we stuff them COYRs.
  • Options
    They played really well against us at their place . We robbed them . 
    I expect a tough game but they play football which will suit us . 
    2-0 win ( Igor and Taylor)
  • Options
    Partnerships do have to grow sometimes. Despite not pulling up any trees yet, Igor does look a bit sharper than I thought he would be. 
  • Options
    Very excited.  Two home games for me in a week. Loved Saturday.  

The way I see it, it's promotion or bust. If we dont go up it's a complete balls up with potentially no team, no manager and no sign of Roland's departure. 

Flight booked for May 26th.

This could be tough though.

• Options
    Considering injuries and other aspects, I think it’s unbelievable we could be 4th by end of Tuesday.

Having said that, think we’ll get a score draw tomorrow. 
  • Options

It's indisputable that League One is a very tight division. On the day, any team can beat any other. So which Charlton will turn up to face Burton Albion?  Tell you what - I'll let you know around 9.40 tonight.

In the meantime a few stats will reinforce the point. So far, 431 games have been played out of 552 for the whole regular season. Results are summarised thus:
    Draws 116 games 26.9%
    1-goal wins 175 games 40.6%
    2-goal wins 82 games 19.0%
    3-goal wins 38 games  8.8%
    4-goal wins 18 games 4.2%
    5-goal wins 2 games  0.5%

So two-thirds of all games have been drawn or settled by a single-goal margin.

Only one freak game produced 8 goals - Scunthorpe 5-3 Addicks (boo). There were 3 games with 7 goals and 12 with 6 goals. The biggest margin was 5 goals - 2 games 5-0.

With such narrow margins how far does luck play a part, or does it even itself out?
  • Options
    woke up this morning feeling fine...
  • Options
    2-1. Taylor and Igor.

Hopefully, a ten point gap between us and 7th and we can concentrate on preparing for the play offs.

• Options
    Heard George could be in line for a start.

Not from the most reliable source so I’m not sure, I personally would go with the midfield of the original post, but with Reeves on the right of the diamond.

I personally don’t think he will start and it will be the midfield most are expecting. But thought I’d share what I’ve been told, even if it’s not accurate.

Wont be doing a full preview as usual today. I’m at uni before having to go to hospital and making it in time to The Valley tonight.

Burton will be a difficult game, they are now really playing for how high can they finish and those games are dangerous as we could be complacent. But I think we will treat it like Saturday and turn up.

Charlton Athletic 2-0 Burton Albion
    Taylor
    Reeves
  • Options
    1 - 1 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    2 zip. 

Cullen and Taylor. 
  • Options
    I'd like to see Saturday's performance give us the confidence to move into top gear. A good win tonight and we can build up the confidence and make promotion more likely.
  • Options
    I don't think there's any likelihood of complacency, the players will know how lucky we were to win at their place and that Burton will be tough opposition
  • Options
    If Burton score first we will struggle. However, still think we have just enough to win this tough game. Fingers crossed 1-0.
  • Options
    Burton are unbeaten away from home this calendar year, 7 games, 13 points. 3 wins, 4 draws. That’s included Doncaster, Barnsley and Coventry. It’s at home they’re poor, 3 points from their 4 home games since the beginning of 2019.

Could be tough tonight.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Burton are unbeaten away from home this calendar year, 7 games, 13 points. 3 wins, 4 draws. That’s included Doncaster, Barnsley and Coventry. It’s at home they’re poor, 3 points from their 4 home games since the beginning of 2019.

Could be tough tonight.
    Was going to go with a comfortable 4-0 win until I read that.

Nailed on 1-1

• Options
    Sage said:

Could be tough tonight.

Nailed on 1-1

But then our home form is very good. We haven’t lost in 5 months at home, and even then it was a collapse in the last 5 minutes or so to lose the game from a winning position. Prior to that our last home defeat was the game back in August where we were robbed in the last minute against Peterborough.

Overall, we’re a very good side at home this season.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Sage said:

Could be tough tonight.

Nailed on 1-1

But then our home form is very good. We haven’t lost in 5 months at home, and even then it was a collapse in the last 5 minutes or so to lose the game from a winning position. Prior to that our last home defeat was the game back in August where we were robbed in the last minute against Peterborough.

Overall, we’re a very good side at home this season.
    28 points, scored 19, conceded 6 in 5 months at home. W8 D4
  • Options
    Expect us to win but likely weather will ruin the game. 
  • Options
    Deflating toothless 0-0 with Taylor picking up a booking for petulance but the 5 month unbeaten home run continues so not all bad.

Please no more injuries!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I would like to see Reeves start.  Technically, he's not as good as Williams or Bielik but we look more balanced and creative with him on the pitch. 
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Is the game under any threat from the weather?  It is absolutely sheeting it down here in Dartford with the forecast getting worse as the afternoon goes on?   Not expecting much of a walk up crowd tonight!!!
  • Options
    Is the game under any threat from the weather?  It is absolutely sheeting it down here in Dartford with the forecast getting worse as the afternoon goes on?   Not expecting much of a walk up crowd tonight!!!
    According to BBC, stop raining between 5pm and 6pm and the wind speed will be 15mph, if true, should be no problem, although I stopped trusting BBC weather a long time ago
  • Options
    Charlton getting ready to water the pitch at 7pm.
    As the rain will have stopped by then.
  • Options
    Wow, I was literally thinking exactly that.
  • Options
    Wow, I was literally thinking exactly that.
    Funnily enough, so was I!  Great minds. 
  • Options
    There was some worrying analysis earlier this season from a CL poster I think about our poor form when we played on a Tuesday. Anyone know if this is still the same. Could be the result of the relatively fast pace we play at and lack of strength in depth squad, meaning they are still knackered on the Tuesday/ dont have same prep that the weekly games gives us. Glass half empty from me. Prove me wrong Charlton!
  • Options
    There was some worrying analysis earlier this season from a CL poster I think about our poor form when we played on a Tuesday. Anyone know if this is still the same. Could be the result of the relatively fast pace we play at and lack of strength in depth squad, meaning they are still knackered on the Tuesday/ dont have same prep that the weekly games gives us. Glass half empty from me. Prove me wrong Charlton!
    Well from my near 46 years supporting this lot, I am expecting a kick in the bollocks after Saturday's glory!