Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Joe Aribo

Comments

• edited September 2019
    @paulie8290 when it comes to England (and probably most major European nations) I suspect you’re right to the extent that an international player that never played a youth international is the exception.

I will hazard a guess and say that’s because a lot of these lads come through at the best academy set-ups we have to offer. They are watched from a young age, through their teens and into their pro careers.

I can’t speak much to the set up of youth football in Nigeria but I don’t suspect that they have a St George’s Park in Lagos, nor the extensive scouting network to spot their brightest young talents.

Aribo may have made his pro football breakthrough with us at the age of 20 but compared to even Joe Gomez, he could be considered a late bloomer and I’m not surprised he missed out on youth international caps.
  • Its very enjoyable how deluded Rangers & Celtic are, neither would get promoted from championship and I think Rangers would be in relegation trouble
    Could be right about Rangers. But Celtic would be up by the second year, easy.

Their gigantic attendances would lead to large matchday income advantages.
    Being in English football, they would attract more bigger-money sponsors right away.
    Celtic is a bigger club than ANY club in the Championship globally (except maybe Leeds) and good players would die to play there. Within two transfer windows they would have the best team in the division by a landslide.

Once in the PL, this dynamic would get even bigger. I think in time they would be top 7 regularly. Just like every other club that averages 58,000+ per match.
    Like Newcastle........
  • sam3110 said:
    Scored on his Nigeria debut
    Said this on the international thread, he has never played international football at any youth level, weird that he was called up to full level without the experience of youth level
    Really......I don’t find it weird, it happens all the time......always has and always will.
    Happens all the time really??

Most international playets have played under 15s or 16s or 17s or 18 or 19s or 21s

But Joe never did, for England or Nigeria what I am saying is surprising is Joe has just turned 23 and Nigeria never looked at him when he was able to play in their under 21 squad
    Because when Aribo was 20 he'd played a handful of games for a struggling league one side. Why would Nigeria call him up?

And do we also even know if they were aware of him being of Nigerian descent, Also could be Aribo wanted to wait to declare as he was born and bred in London.
  • This is such an underrated thread
  • Came on as an 83rd minute sub against Feyenoord...
  • One of their 5 relevant games this season and he played 7 minutes.  Thought he was a PL player in the making for us, I hope his move to Scotland does not become a failure.
    Rangers fans don’t rate him . It’s a very bad move in my opinion.
  • One of their 5 relevant games this season and he played 7 minutes.  Thought he was a PL player in the making for us, I hope his move to Scotland does not become a failure.
    The bank balance suggests otherwise.
  • Sponsored links:

I watched more of this game than the other two and felt the standard of football in that match last night was awful at times. Any of the top 7 or 8 L1 teams from last season would have ripped either of those teams apart. Why it took so long for Aribo to get on the pitch is a mystery and when he did it was like he was having to dumb down his play to fit in. 
  • So Aribo only as a sub & not having the best of times up there.... badly advised by his agent imo, Dijksteel not having the best start at Boro. Ok their earning more money but they were loved & appreciated here & were growing & learning their trade, Bowyer trusted them........... almost rough justice in a way....but wish them well really! 
  • So Aribo only as a sub & not having the best of times up there.... badly advised by his agent imo, Dijksteel not having the best start at Boro. Ok their earning more money but they were loved & appreciated here & were growing & learning their trade, Bowyer trusted them........... almost rough justice in a way....but wish them well really! 
    I think in Dijksteels case it was not that he wanted away, Boro came in for him, Bow saw an opportunity to strengthen the squad and was happy to sell him.  He could have said no, but there are many quotes of players saying once a club wants you gone, you are gone
  • AllysArmy said:
    One of their 5 relevant games this season and he played 7 minutes.  Thought he was a PL player in the making for us, I hope his move to Scotland does not become a failure.
    Rangers fan here. Can confirm we do rate him, he’s one of our better midfielders if a little raw. We play Thursday-Sunday and did last year. Our squad was stretched. We have plenty of very good midfielders which allows us to use our squad depth, and is something Gerrard has done and will continue to do. 

Side note, since bowyer said this was a bad move for him - he’s been called up and beat Feyenoord in the Europa league, and already scored a couple in the qualifiers.  He will move on to an English side for £10m+ In the future if he continues the way he has. He still has lots of learning to do. I cannot understand why so many Charlton fans are saying this is a bad move for him? You can bang on about opposition but outside 3 or 4 clubs in the championship, your league isn’t up to much either. On top of that he will be visiting Porto, Rotterdam and Bern for europa league matches. It’s a win-win. Cheap signing for us which has proven to be a great move this far, and a good platform for Aribo to try and get that move to a bigger league.
    He's certainly playing in front of bigger crowds but with the exception of Celtic/Rangers I think the vast majority of Scottish teams are not at a great standard. The Championship is a much more competitive league.

Aribo may get European experience but can't see the domestic experience raising his game.
  • AllysArmy said:
    One of their 5 relevant games this season and he played 7 minutes.  Thought he was a PL player in the making for us, I hope his move to Scotland does not become a failure.
    Rangers fan here. Can confirm we do rate him, he’s one of our better midfielders if a little raw. We play Thursday-Sunday and did last year. Our squad was stretched. We have plenty of very good midfielders which allows us to use our squad depth, and is something Gerrard has done and will continue to do. 

Side note, since bowyer said this was a bad move for him - he’s been called up and beat Feyenoord in the Europa league, and already scored a couple in the qualifiers.  He will move on to an English side for £10m+ In the future if he continues the way he has. He still has lots of learning to do. I cannot understand why so many Charlton fans are saying this is a bad move for him? You can bang on about opposition but outside 3 or 4 clubs in the championship, your league isn’t up to much either. On top of that he will be visiting Porto, Rotterdam and Bern for europa league matches. It’s a win-win. Cheap signing for us which has proven to be a great move this far, and a good platform for Aribo to try and get that move to a bigger league.
    Just to put you right here re The Championship, it is rated as the seventh most highly rated/powerful league in world football.
  • AllysArmy said:

Just to put you right here re The Championship, it is rated as the seventh most highly rated/powerful league in world football.
    Just out of interest, do you know where the SPL is rated?

• AllysArmy said:
    AllysArmy said:

So powerful you cannot compete with Rangers or Celtic for wages, you cannot enter European competitions. You are limited for being in such a “powerful” league. A league that wasn’t deemed worthy of a cap for Aribo. Funny that. 

Charlton to Rangers is a step up, a big one at that. No offence to you and i’m sure Charlton is a great club with great traditions etc but you aren’t even on the same level as Rangers or Celtic. 
    LOL!
  • Sponsored links:

• Ignorance is bliss I guess. This poor Rangers fella doesn't even realise we're not in League One anymore. It must be difficult when you're facing League One standard opposition every Saturday...
  • Bet ya can’t wait for the game at St Johnstone tomorrow... they got pumped seven nil by your neighbours. Some league that is.
  • Bet ya can’t wait for the game at St Johnstone tomorrow... they got pumped seven nil by your neighbours. Some league that is.
    Watford 5-0 down after 18 minutes today in the division above ours. Just saying. 
  • If Rangers were south of the border they'd be no bigger than someone like Sunderland or Derby, same as Celtic.

Apart from the wages, playing for Rangers is a step down from the Championship, sure he'll get to play in a couple of European games but having a decent season in Scotland might get you a move to Norwich,o Bournemouth or Watford, a decent season in the championship is more likely to earn you a move to Everton, Leicester, maybe even a top 6 club like James going to Man United from Swansea
    Watford 5-0 down after 18 minutes today in the division above ours. Just saying. 
    Bit of a difference between Man City and Celtic though, wouldn't you say?
  • edited September 2019
    AllysArmy said:
    AllysArmy said:

So powerful you cannot compete with Rangers or Celtic for wages, you cannot enter European competitions. You are limited for being in such a “powerful” league. A league that wasn’t deemed worthy of a cap for Aribo. Funny that. 

Charlton to Rangers is a step up, a big one at that. No offence to you and i’m sure Charlton is a great club with great traditions etc but you aren’t even on the same level as Rangers or Celtic. 
    “European Competitions” = the Europa League in Scotland. Basically Europe’s League Cup, let’s not overstate the opportunity to play European football that playing for the Old Firm brings.
    Bit of a difference between Man City and Celtic though, wouldn't you say?
    That’s not the point you were making though. You were criticizing the difference between the top two and the rest in Scotland. Well it’s fast going that way down here too. 
  • AllysArmy said:
    AllysArmy said:

Aribo never played for us in the Championship.

Unquestionably though looking through the last Nigeria squad he'd have definitely got a cap if he stayed with us.
  • Joe was 'Man of the Match' today for Rangers according to the BBC match coverage.
  • Celtic is a big game, that's a given. But seriously?  Aside from maybe Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen the rest are tiny clubs.  That's half the season spent crushing minnows.  How rewarding is that?

Scottish Premiership cumulative attendances
    Total home crowdAverage home crowd
    Celtic1,095,22957,644
    Rangers941,72049,564
    Hibernian337,72417,775
    Hearts333,72417,564
    Aberdeen283,56714,925
    Kilmarnock130,9996,895
    Dundee114,5096,027
    Motherwell103,5125,448
    St Mirren101,6805,352
    St Johnstone73,9373,891