Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Joe Aribo

Comments

• Options
    Kilmarnock who finished 3rd last season got knocked out over 2 legs by a part time Welsh side last night, Aribo will look class up there and will probably move on to bigger things in a year or two 
    We just lost to Ebbsfleet.... 
    One was a pre-season friendly the other was a competitive Europa League tie...
    The Europa League is completely meaningless as a competition for most clubs and doesn't carry much more weight than a friendly. 
  • Options
    Kilmarnock who finished 3rd last season got knocked out over 2 legs by a part time Welsh side last night, Aribo will look class up there and will probably move on to bigger things in a year or two 
    The Europa League is completely meaningless as a competition for most clubs and doesn't carry much more weight than a friendly. 
    Not according to the Rangers fans and their associated fan sites who couldn't understand why a lot of people felt this was not progression for him  ;)  
  • Options
    ask my pal who is an arsenal fan who would of been delighted on winning it and beating chelsea he also spent circa 2k going out to the match, if teams are not going to try they should tell the fans.
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:
    That’s complete rubbish. Even the Prem sides have been taking it seriously in recent years.

The Europe League has improved in standard a lot, whilst the Scottish league remains generally poor. Kilmarnock would’ve wanted to win that game. 
    As mentioned by someone on the Europa League thread

All teams need to take European competitions seriously (especially from coefficients outside the top lot) as results each season will depend on places in the competitions in the future
  • Options
    Not according to the Rangers fans and their associated fan sites who couldn't understand why a lot of people felt this was not progression for him  ;)  
    Both Rangers and Celtic would like to play in a competitive league but they never will, simply because no other league needs a couple of teams supported by bigots. It will always hold them back and they will never repeat the success Celtic managed in the 60s with the Lions of Lisborn.

As a Rangers or Celtic fan, it must be a bind knowing that you will always be rubbish. I mean, as Charlton fans we know we can get to a higher level than them. We might not be at that level now, but we have the potential to and always will have. That isn't to do with our size and support but the fact we don't play in a league were the top division is full of sub standard teams with no prospect of the situation changing. I pity them both.

I am sad Joe chose them when he had better options. I think he had the game to play at the highest level, and he needs to make sure he stays there as little time as he possibly can. I think his agent should be struck off.
    I hope he goes on to have a great career. I also think he made a clever move on reflection. He's almost guaranteed game playing time up there and the exposure Rangers get is disproportionately big, especially since Gerrard went there. I don't follow Scottish football at all but I know the main rangers and Celtic players purely through BBC headlines. I give it 1 or 2 good seasons there and he'll be in the premier League.
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:
    That’s complete rubbish. Even the Prem sides have been taking it seriously in recent years.

The Europe League has improved in standard a lot, whilst the Scottish league remains generally poor. Kilmarnock would’ve wanted to win that game. 
    There's a huge number of teams in it and the majority of teams know they don't have s chance. 

You'll be telling me next that all English teams take the FA cup seriously.
  • Options
    There are large numbers of team in all competitions. The comparison was a European competitive game with a pre season friendly.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Laddick01 said:

There's a huge number of teams in it and the majority of teams know they don't have s chance. 

You'll be telling me next that all English teams take the FA cup seriously.
    A lot of the bigger sides don't tend to take it seriously until the later knockout stages. But you only have to look at the winners over the last few years to see big clubs tend to win it. Chelsea, Man U, Atletico, Sevilla. Spanish sides in particular seem to take it seriously because with Barca and Real they don't get much chance to win anything domestically.
  • Options
    Being Scottish, I share the general views expressed here about the standard of Scottish football. I can see though why joe chose to go there. Rangers have an excellent chance of eclipsing Celtic this year which will be big box office for those who care. If Joe tears it up this year (my jury is out) he will likely get an even bigger money move next year and I guess his agent would have been advising him accordingly. His alternatives were probably a premier league move where he would have likely have done a. “Lookman” and sat on the bench all season or a top end championship club in which case he might as well have stayed with us (oh wait...££££££). 

Good luck to the lad. He did us proud. But he’s gone now. 
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    There are large numbers of team in all competitions. The comparison was a European competitive game with a pre season friendly.
    The Europa League qualifying is hardly a competitive game for most of the teams involved as they know they're not going to advance anywhere in the competition - different for the bigger teams.

It's ludicrous the way the competition is organised - very unwieldly. The old European knockout competitions worked far better but obviously UEFA had to come up with ridiculous formats.

The qualifying matches are pre-season and I vefy much doubt if most teams involved take them too seriously. 
  • Options
    Didn't realise we would have got 7 figures if he'd moved to an English team.

Guess he actually just went there just to screw Roland. Gerrard rubbing in the salt.
  • Options
    jac52 said:
    Didn't realise we would have got 7 figures if he'd moved to an English team.

Guess he actually just went there just to screw Roland. Gerrard rubbing in the salt.
    I think he decided to move to Rangers because it was the best deal for his agent,
     and he had not explained all the other offers available. Only speculation, but given the huge profit that Rangers expect to make, it is not unreasonable to draw that conclusion.
  • Options
    A bit of an unnecessary nose rub from Gerrard, but he's obviously taken umbrage at Lee Bowyer's comments and is playing to the gallery up there. Wittering on about making a notional profit on Joe, especially after one appearance against St Josephs of Gibraltar, really is a little silly.
  • Options
    This is the reason Rangers wanted Aribo and Grant. Players so they can sell on for a tidy profit each time after looking good against League One & Two standard opposition all season. It's funny how they're not interested in Grant anymore now they can't get him on the cheap.

I'd laugh if Aribo saw out his Rangers contract and walked out on them too.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    I wouldn't - he can't stay in that shitty football for more than a season. We are now looking at damage limitation in terms of his career.  His next step was a season in the Championship!
  • Options
    This is the reason Rangers wanted Aribo and Grant. Players so they can sell on for a tidy profit each time after looking good against League One & Two standard opposition all season. It's funny how they're not interested in Grant anymore now they can't get him on the cheap.

To me that's just shrewd transfer business and given the mess Rangers have been in, in recent times, probably a very good way to run the club.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2019

To me that's just shrewd transfer business and given the mess Rangers have been in, in recent times, probably a very good way to run the club.
    I get the point you're making but you've taken my quote out of context only highlighting half of it when the whole point needs to be applied. Not knocking you or anything because I do agree buying players to sell for a tidy profit is a good strategy.

But i'm glad for one that our approach is not the Rangers way of just looking at players with an expiring contract. Even Driesen can do this on Football Manager. At least when our signings are in the building we get Steve Gallen telling us they've looked at the player for a considerable amount of time. And I go back to my other point, are Rangers no longer interested in Karlan Grant because he's got more than 12 months left on his contract with Huddersfield? Quite clearly yes and I far rather our current scouting approach than that of Rangers.
  • Options
    Scored his second European goal just now.

Rangers fans creaming themselves over him.

Roland got 300k for him. What a complete and utter incompetent numpty.
    They will be- he’ll eat that division alive.  
  • Options
    Blucher said:
    A bit of an unnecessary nose rub from Gerrard, but he's obviously taken umbrage at Lee Bowyer's comments and is playing to the gallery up there. Wittering on about making a notional profit on Joe, especially after one appearance against St Josephs of Gibraltar, really is a little silly.
    Great player but he's always been a complete knob
  • Options

I would imagine he'll be gone inside two seasons.

A good agent will see to that, as the agent has already with the first 'career' move.
  • Options
    Doesnt look overly challenging for him in that game though...
  • Options
    Still don't understand how he couldn't get a decent championship move - the majority of games he plays for Rangers will be very one sided.