Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Portsmouth 2019 post-match views

Comments

• Options
    I've somehow managed to miss both of our Sky home matches this season, and two of our best performances, being ill for Sunderland and flying back from Vietnam yesterday.

Hopefully it won't be a case of after the Lord Mayor's show for my return vs Burton...
  • Options
    Igor isn't looking like the goal machine he was back in the days of yore but he's making good runs and making space, drawing out defenders for Taylor to exploit. Once he's fully fit he can hopefully add goals to his own game too.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    thenewbie said:
    I thought everyone played well and stood up to a very physical team. Only concern was the amount of space Pittman was getting after coming on a sub.

Can’t fault any of them as they gave their all and much more.

In fairness the amount of effort and running put in across the board yesterday lead to some tired legs, and Pittman is a good player, finding space is something he does well (especially against tired/tiring legs.) Perhaps we should ask referees to send Bowyer to the stands more often as apparently he's found a second wind after the deflation of the transfer window and the players seem to have rediscovered their passion and fight too.
    Keeping this sort of effort up for the rest of the season is going to be a pretty big ask but if we play like that, none of the other teams will want to face us in the play offs, we'll be the team to avoid or dread and that's a great advantage to have.
    You wouldn’t find Jimmy Seed in the dugout ;-)
    Really?
    He preferred the Directors’ box or the top of the staircase that led down to his office. He was a very nervous watcher. 
    Don't think there was such a thing as a bench or dug out in Seed's time. Certainly no subs to sit on a bench
  • Options
    Everyone gave 100% yesterday including Igor , it's just a shame he's not the player of old . Parker should replace him for the Burton game , not sure why he has been written off by many as not really been given a chance  . One of the best performances I've seen in recent years.  Bowyer is really doing a remarkable job under the circumstances  .
  • Options
    I would continue with Igor, he needs games but is better than Parker.
  • Options
    And breath.
    Great win, but in typical Addicks fashion they made us sweat bucket loads for it, despite totally out playing them for 85 mins.

That is the worrying thing, played really well but had to hang on at the end.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I think Parker hasn't been given a proper chance yet. He looked really sharp in the last reserve game, albeit that it was a reserve game. But against Sheffield Wednesday at least 
    He also looked shit against Blackpool. Igor is a better player and would definitely prefer to see him have a run with Taylor. 
  • Options
    watch on Sky, besides the whole team playing well it made a hell of a difference having a good referee.

I'm not a betting person but is it possible to go into a bookies now and getting odds on us beating Sunderland in the play off final and if good odds placing a bet?
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Aribo was an excellent and exciting player before his injury, but since his injury he seems to have found an extra few percent. What is worrying is that yesterday's performance will have made even more notice him. 

Igor is showing signs that with a few more games he might be our second best striker. Bowyer needs to give that a chance to develop.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just about to watch the game on the box and this nice little advert pops up at the start. 

I hope a few of us on here took note a placed the said bet. 
  • Options
    So, has Igor "kicked on" yet after his recent goal?
  • Options
    I think Parker will start Tuesday as Vetokele hasn’t been able to store up the fitness yet. Missing pre-season and a long injury it is going to take time for him to regain full fitness.

Parker should be over his illness and if given the chance, it will be up to him if he takes it. There is a place to be had. May the best player win.
  • Options
    Loved it.

More to come later, probably tomorrow, but loved it.
  • Options
    My daughter's first game in months. We were both buzzing after that. Had to tell her that the ref is never usually that good, that we'd definitely raised our game for Pompey, but making us sweat at the end, yes that was normal.
    Good atmosphere as well - loads of noise from our end and the Pompey fans kept going throughout. Felt like a proper game.
    Cullen very impressive for me - like a terrier who never lets go and very brave. At one point he headed the ball while one of their players tried to kick it and it was their guy who went down and struggled to get back up. Also good to see Bielek bossing it first half and Bauer looking very assured - first time recently where he's been better than Nabby.
  • Options
    Watched on TV .. a game we controlled except for at the finish. And, to get the negative out the way, this is the second week running that we have been in charge only to be clinging on for the last ten minutes against potential play off opponents. We could/should have been 3 or 4 ahead on the run of play, goal scoring is still a problem as is a tendency to fall back in defence rather than go for the kill, perhaps understandably when a play off spot is virtually guaranteed but needs to be absolutely set in stone.

The midfield was terrific. I hope Bielik is not badly hurt, he went down a few times last week at Doncaster and lasted just the first half yesterday. It was good to see Purrington play a positive attacking role and Dijkstiel looks a better deal at right back than the whole hearted Solly. Every career must come to an end, every hero has his day. Let's hope Solly can fight his way back, if not I would hope that a coaching career with CAFC is next for him.

In defence Bauer and Sarr were superb and were well supported by the full backs and midfielders.
    Aribo was M O M, Cullen was terrific as were Bielik and Williams, until he was also forced off injured. Worries about midfield fitness remain.

Taylor was terrific and took his goal well, he is so important to us. Vetokele did OK without contributing much, if that makes sense
    All in all a good win against a poor Pompey. BUT, we should have been well secure long before the final anxious few minutes. Let's hope the curse of sky has been lifted.
  • Options
    Another South London treble weekend. Palace and Millwall losing, and the reds continuing their dominance over Portsmouth in recent times. Happy days.
    Pompey in the play-offs please.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    thenewbie said:
    I thought everyone played well and stood up to a very physical team. Only concern was the amount of space Pittman was getting after coming on a sub.

Can’t fault any of them as they gave their all and much more.

In fairness the amount of effort and running put in across the board yesterday lead to some tired legs, and Pittman is a good player, finding space is something he does well (especially against tired/tiring legs.) Perhaps we should ask referees to send Bowyer to the stands more often as apparently he's found a second wind after the deflation of the transfer window and the players seem to have rediscovered their passion and fight too.
    Keeping this sort of effort up for the rest of the season is going to be a pretty big ask but if we play like that, none of the other teams will want to face us in the play offs, we'll be the team to avoid or dread and that's a great advantage to have.
    You wouldn’t find Jimmy Seed in the dugout ;-)
    Back in Curbs' day, he would send Keith Peacock to sit in the stands to watch the match from a higher perspective to get a better overall picture of how the team/game was progressing, than seen from the dugout.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't think we've bossed a game like that in a long time.

The injuries to Williams and Bielik are worrying.

Purrington is a weak link.

Good to see Taylor putting himself about more.  Just one more game to go without a booking, isn't it?
    I don't think Purrington is a weak link,
    He's a very decent League 1 LB, who did some really good work yesterday.
    Page is injury prone unfortunately, and great work by Steve Gallen to get Purrington in.

Anyone who watched the game yesterday and thought we had a weak link watched a different game to me, Igor worked very hard but still needs to improve and probably wouldn't make the starting 11 if the window had been different.

The 2 CL members who gave Williams a 5 and Cullen a 5 on the players marks need to go to Specsavers !

Cullen was fantastic and without checking wasn't it Williams cross that Igor blocked on the line from Cullen's shot ?

Purrington is quite limited going forward and they got in far too many crosses from their right yesterday so I think it's a fair comment to describe him as weak.
  • Options
    "Could still be a Charlton v Sunderland play off final v2 scary stuff.

Haven't recovered from the last one"

lol
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Grinch alert 

OK. Vetokele ran down the line, turned and fed Aribo, who set up Reeves, who set up Taylor, who scored. He also ran back to help in defence before nicely passing to their midfielder who then set up their best chance of the half. People are using this to justify marking him ahead of, say, Reeves, who set up a goal, got into the box, passed it well, got some good crosses in and dropped back to cover in exemplary fashion. I literally cannot understand! People are marking Reeves down, with a straight face, for 'giving the ball away by shooting too much'. Meanwhile, Vetokele didn't get to shoot once. Why? Because he was two yards behind the pace, because his touch was extremely poor and because he could hardly move with the ball without it getting nicked off him. He was also beaten in the air almost every time. I know we should try and be positive about our players and I know he tried hard and all but unless he's used in a substitute role I cannot see how his fitness is up to the task. He offered almost nothing and I feel some people are being extremely generous out of desperation for us to have a second striker. Someone gave him an 8 on the player marks. 8!! Meanwhile Reeves is dismissed as someone who shoots too much. Well I say to him, shoot! Shoot and keep shooting. You'll hit one that shuts up all the doubters soon enough. 
    I castigated Reeves for shooting from far too far out with too many of their players in front of him.  Yes, shoot if there's a good chance you'll score but blasting away from outside the box without a clear opening is just a waste.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Comment from a pompy fan on there

Well I think we played the playoff winners today. For whatever reason, Charlton have left themselves too much to do for the autos, but they are the 2nd best side I’ve seen all season after Luton. They are my tip to go up regardless of who else is in the playoffs.

We were shite mind. Jackett’s instructions for us off the ball are horrendous. Low blocking and aiming for a counter like we are playing a top 6 prem team. Negative and ineffective - the goals we conceded were so soft.

It’s 2 from 3 for the autos now. Luton will go up I still think. So it’s Barnsley or yourselves. 1 will go up, the other will fail in the playoffs.
  • Options
    Think this Sunderland fan is smoking something tho, could have won by 5 or 6

Just wait til you see an 11 man sunderland away from home, you won't know what has hit you. We absolutely played Charlton off their own pitch a few weeks ago, and if Wyke hadn't have missed 5 open goals we would have won by 5 or 6 goals.

Anyway, it will be yourselves, Barnsley, Chalton and one other battling it out....good luck, is hate to see you lose twice at Wembley in the same season.
  • Options
    Some nice comments on there and shows the good side of the English game

Funny how Sunderland are terrified of facing us in the Play-Offs and how they havent gotten over '98 yet

For me I'm terrified of facing them @ Wembley as cant see lightning striking twice for us
  • Options
    We are only 8 points off our total of 71 last season.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Grinch alert 

OK. Vetokele ran down the line, turned and fed Aribo, who set up Reeves, who set up Taylor, who scored. He also ran back to help in defence before nicely passing to their midfielder who then set up their best chance of the half. People are using this to justify marking him ahead of, say, Reeves, who set up a goal, got into the box, passed it well, got some good crosses in and dropped back to cover in exemplary fashion. I literally cannot understand! People are marking Reeves down, with a straight face, for 'giving the ball away by shooting too much'. Meanwhile, Vetokele didn't get to shoot once. Why? Because he was two yards behind the pace, because his touch was extremely poor and because he could hardly move with the ball without it getting nicked off him. He was also beaten in the air almost every time. I know we should try and be positive about our players and I know he tried hard and all but unless he's used in a substitute role I cannot see how his fitness is up to the task. He offered almost nothing and I feel some people are being extremely generous out of desperation for us to have a second striker. Someone gave him an 8 on the player marks. 8!! Meanwhile Reeves is dismissed as someone who shoots too much. Well I say to him, shoot! Shoot and keep shooting. You'll hit one that shuts up all the doubters soon enough. 
    I castigated Reeves for shooting from far too far out with too many of their players in front of him.  Yes, shoot if there's a good chance you'll score but blasting away from outside the box without a clear opening is just a waste.
    Players play to instructions.

We've haven't been scoring too many goals lately. And if Reeves (and others) are now shooting from distance, then you can bet Bowyer's told them to do so.