Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Portsmouth 2019 post-match views

Comments

• Nice couple of pints in the bugle before wandering down to the ground. Didn’t appreciate being held at the top of floyd road to let the Pompey hordes progress. A lot of heros when there is a phalanx of police around!   Mr Curbishley was in our presence looking bemused.only just made it to my seat for kick off and then the real fun began. What a performance. Not anooor performance insight. I was a bit hard on Igor and Purrington love but having watched the whole game again on tv I’ve marked them both up. Midfield absolutely mustard and what a brilliant referee. Buzzing.  
  • I thought everyone played well and stood up to a very physical team. Only concern was the amount of space Pittman was getting after coming on a sub.

Can’t fault any of them as they gave their all and much more.

•  That was the best and most entertaining match for a very very long time. The last time I remember being so engrossed with a game I think it was when Cardiff came to play and we won something like 5-4. I was pleased for Taylor as up until he scored he was probably one of the least effective players on the pitch. But after he scored he was definitely our best player along with Joe aribo and Josh: but nobody had a bad game and if they can continue on Tuesday night where they left off yesterday , it sets us up for a very entertaining remainder of the season.  Bowyers attempt to keep Joe aribo is very canny and also correct as Joe  has improved immeasurably under  Bowyer and so have other players.If we get promoted it will be in spite of our owner and in spite of grants departure in January. Whereas last season it was more in hope than expectation that we ever thought we would be promoted I think this season we can now fancy our chances of at least getting To Wembley which should be a fantastic experience regardless of the outcome. Bowyer is the type of person who does not get carried away by these victories and because of his stoic approach to things I, for one, think that he is the best manager under the circumstances for a very long time.Well done Charlton players and fans.
    We look a lot better side than last season and certainly have a chance of going up. I fancy Luton and Barnsley to take the automatic places and the playoffs are pretty competitive.

Sunderland and Portsmouth are both decent sides and I expect Doncaster to get the remaining playoff place.
  • purdis said:
    For those having a pop at Vetokele, it was his excellent channel run and hold up play that lead to the winning goal - if he doesn’t make that run then we draw 1-1.
    Another occasion Igor ran inside and drew the defender allowing Lyle to run into the space behind him he’d created.
    i said to my lad that Igor was doing a lot of good work off the ball.
    Think some are giving him unnecessary criticism after his poor pass near the end that they nearly equalised from. I think he was just knackered by that point and ran out of steam.
    Just before he was subbed he made a 60yd run to go and support Dijksteel and won the ball back when he wasn't really expected to get involved in that area of the pitch, he then gave the ball away  was gutted for him after the effort he put in at that instance. 
    Cracking effort from him yday. 
    I was just saying how brilliantly he'd done to wiggle through a few men and get into space before he gave that ball away. You can actually see him look up to play a pass forward and see that there's no-one in front of him, which then leads to the cock-up. I don't think he'll ever be truly fit again, but I'm glad to see him on the pitch trying
  • I thought everyone played well and stood up to a very physical team. Only concern was the amount of space Pittman was getting after coming on a sub.

In fairness the amount of effort and running put in across the board yesterday lead to some tired legs, and Pittman is a good player, finding space is something he does well (especially against tired/tiring legs.) Perhaps we should ask referees to send Bowyer to the stands more often as apparently he's found a second wind after the deflation of the transfer window and the players seem to have rediscovered their passion and fight too.
    Keeping this sort of effort up for the rest of the season is going to be a pretty big ask but if we play like that, none of the other teams will want to face us in the play offs, we'll be the team to avoid or dread and that's a great advantage to have.
  • thenewbie said:
    I thought everyone played well and stood up to a very physical team. Only concern was the amount of space Pittman was getting after coming on a sub.

In fairness the amount of effort and running put in across the board yesterday lead to some tired legs, and Pittman is a good player, finding space is something he does well (especially against tired/tiring legs.) Perhaps we should ask referees to send Bowyer to the stands more often as apparently he's found a second wind after the deflation of the transfer window and the players seem to have rediscovered their passion and fight too.
    Keeping this sort of effort up for the rest of the season is going to be a pretty big ask but if we play like that, none of the other teams will want to face us in the play offs, we'll be the team to avoid or dread and that's a great advantage to have.
    You wouldn’t find Jimmy Seed in the dugout ;-)
  • I don't think we've bossed a game like that in a long time.

The injuries to Williams and Bielik are worrying.

Purrington is a weak link.

Good to see Taylor putting himself about more.  Just one more game to go without a booking, isn't it?
  • Sponsored links:

• Well that's the telly hoodoo defeated. Great performance. Only negative is we should have won by more than one goal.

Any watching neutral must have been very impressed.
    My Spanner brother thought it was a good game but he couldn't bring himself to say we played well.
  • A very enjoyable 3 points, let’s hope we can keep it going by a win on Tuesday night.
  • JamesSeed said:
    thenewbie said:
    I thought everyone played well and stood up to a very physical team. Only concern was the amount of space Pittman was getting after coming on a sub.

Really?
  • Assuming it’s Luton and Barnsley 1 & 2 then I think that it’s Sunderland, Portsmouth, Charlton and Doncaster for the playoffs. 

All three of those could win at Wembley but so could we. Nothing in those three teams to really fear. On our day we could beat any of them. 
  • edited March 2019
    Assuming it’s Luton and Barnsley 1 & 2 then I think that it’s Sunderland, Portsmouth, Charlton and Doncaster for the playoffs. 

All three of those could win at Wembley but so could we. Nothing in those three teams to really fear. On our day we could beat any of them. 
    Agreed, injuries permitting Bielik and Williams both taken off with tight hamstrings yesterday. We need our strongest 18 available.
  • Assuming it’s Luton and Barnsley 1 & 2 then I think that it’s Sunderland, Portsmouth, Charlton and Doncaster for the playoffs. 

Having beaten Portsmouth twice, I would be worried about playing them again. How many times has a team been beaten in the the playoffs having done the double over them in the normal season?
    I would think them and Sunderland would be more concerned about playing us.
  • Last time I think we won on live on Sky sports I think we went on to be promoted!!! Huddersfield at home 2-0  
  • JamesSeed said:
    thenewbie said:

Really?
    He preferred the Directors’ box or the top of the staircase that led down to his office. He was a very nervous watcher. 
  • edited March 2019
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    thenewbie said:

Really?
    He preferred the Directors’ box or the top of the staircase that led down to his office. He was a very nervous watcher. 
    Dugouts never existed in those days as no subs or entourage of back room staff. The trainer was the only one who definitely needed to be pitch side and maybe the manager but I suspect the majority of them, suited and booted, used to distance themselves from the touchline no?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2019
    RedChaser said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    thenewbie said:

Really?
    Dugouts never existed in those days as no subs or entourage of back room staff. The trainer was the only one who definitely needed to be pitch side and maybe the manager but I suspect the majority of them, suited and booted, used to distance themselves from the touchline no?
    Correct. You don’t see many photos of anyone on the edge of the pitch in those days. Did Trotter have a little stool or bench to sit on @Henry Irving ?
  • uie2 said:
    Last time I think we won on live on Sky sports I think we went on to be promoted!!! Huddersfield at home 2-0  
    We beat Middlesbrough 2-0 in front of the SKY cameras when we had that protest planned only for Jorge Teixeira to block it by scoring exactly when it was planned

Having beaten Portsmouth twice, I would be worried about playing them again. How many times has a team been beaten in the the playoffs having done the double over them in the normal season?
    Wouldn’t Portsmouth be more worried about us? 

They've had two opportunities to beat us and failed both times. 
  • The curse of sky is finally lifted. Great win COYAs.
  • Watched on TV. Wonderful performance from all players.  

Mad to think how totally different directions our club could go in next few months.

1. Promotion, new owners, new contracts for our best players with Cullen and Beilik made permanent v's 2. Losing play offs, RD still owner and most of the team off!

Last thing, couldnt help thinking that Karlan Grant would have watched that and felt sad not to be involved in such a great game for a team potentially off to Wembley, after Huddersfield meekly rolled over v Bournemouth.
  • Grateful to my mum and dad for letting pinch their Sky Go password to watch that yesterday! First game I have seen us play this season and thought we were superb. We made a team that have been at the top all season look easily second best. Bielik put in as classy a 45 minutes as I have seen for a long time. Aribo was excellent, hardly lost the ball all game despite having a couple of their players right on him more than once. Cullen superb and everyone put in a very good shift. Think some of the stick Igor is getting is unfair but guess we'll always need someone to pick on. Think Purrington is solid but doesn't offer too much going forward but probably been spoilt with how attacking Da Silva was the last 2 seasons.

Game should have been put to bed given how superior we were but it's the Charlton way to make us sweat a bit at the end!

The biggest sadness with that performance is that it shows how good we can be and what great talent we have, both on the pitch and in Bow and JJ. There is so much potential that we could build on but that yellow toothed Belgian prick seems happy to let it evaporate. Please just sell the club!
  • I think Parker hasn't been given a proper chance yet. He looked really sharp in the last reserve game, albeit that it was a reserve game. But against Sheffield Wednesday at least