Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Portsmouth fans

Comments

• RedChaser said:
    TEL said:
    I remember a bunch of Chelsea turning up too mid seventies and loitering around that silly little gate  across the West stand car park, they at first wasn't unfriendly but towards the end of the match (no idea who we were playing) they had a little go at the Covered End and got run off...some bloke in a blue trench coat in particular thought he was a bit tasty but he ran away with the rest of them.
    Don't tell me he was chased by a bloke in a Red trench coat Tel :smiley:
    A Red Chaser  perhaps .
  • RedChaser said:
    TEL said:
    I remember a bunch of Chelsea turning up too mid seventies and loitering around that silly little gate  across the West stand car park, they at first wasn't unfriendly but towards the end of the match (no idea who we were playing) they had a little go at the Covered End and got run off...some bloke in a blue trench coat in particular thought he was a bit tasty but he ran away with the rest of them.
    Don't tell me he was chased by a bloke in a Red trench coat Tel :smiley:
    A Red Chaser  perhaps .
    No comment :wink:.
  • edited March 2019
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Taxi_Lad said:
    We can take the piss out of @MillwallFan and have fun doing it but they were top dogs for most of the hooligan heyday, mixing it with the likes of Chelsea West Ham Leeds. But it rankles with me when they claim to have been present at so many Charlton games.  I can think of 2/3 at most 
    I don't get why them being 'top dogs' is a positive thing. Top of all the knuckle-dragging mindless thug idiots? Congratulations. What an honour. 

Why would anyone would want to imply that us having a 'decent mob' would be something to be proud of, either? I'd rather we never had one.
    Well if we were all the same, and times didn't change then the world would be a boring place. I'm guessing you utilise social media for everything, use the phrase "Can I Get" and pay for a pint with a card. Now I don't get most of that, but that's today, and we were then.  None of us are saying that the passage of time, has not put it into a different perspective. However, it was a thing of its time. 
    Chunes help you breath more easily.......or not........as the case may be.
    Que?
    The TV advertisement “Tunes help you breath more easily.” was a household saying that sort of took hold of popular popularity for a while back in the day.
    Just a play on the words ‘Chunes & Tunes’ by me, which would most likely be lost on anyone under the age of 50 or so.
    You can Google the ad if you have the inclination.
  • Haha, fair enough.
  • Chunes said:
    Haha, fair enough.
    There was also a version of the advert where a lad said he came from 'Dottingham', popped in a Tune menthol sweet and then miraculously pronounced it 'Nottingham' :wink:
  • Here you go gents

https://www.80scasualclassics.co.uk/

With everything from Fila track tops to Lois cords I expect to see you all decked out next home game 

Just had a cheeky glance... my that took me back a few years.....!! :-)

• RedChaser said:
    Chunes said:
    Haha, fair enough.
    There was also a version of the advert where a lad said he came from 'Dottingham', popped in a Tune menthol sweet and then miraculously pronounced it 'Nottingham' :wink:
    That was actor Peter Cleall who played the part of Duffy in the 1968/72 comedy series Please Sir.
  • SE7toSG3 said:
    me at Barnsley away 1984-85, sporting a Fila BJ, Pringle and Lois cords, trademark Gazelles out of view
    Tops mate! Respect,

I was at that game as well
  • Hahaha I see you now as you were and are. 
  • For anyone who is interested in the good old/dark days, an article by one of the old Pompey lads. Charlton get a mention....

https://transalpino.co.uk/football-fighting-fashion-2/
  • Sponsored links:

• Taxi_Lad said:
    We can take the piss out of @MillwallFan and have fun doing it but they were top dogs for most of the hooligan heyday, mixing it with the likes of Chelsea West Ham Leeds. But it rankles with me when they claim to have been present at so many Charlton games.  I can think of 2/3 at most 
    I never claimed that Millwall were present at the Charlton games, as so many people on this thread seem to be implying that I said. 

All i I said is that it’s quite a well known fact that Millwall quite often used to go on the hunt for Pompey when they was away at Charlton or palace, and they would be equally up for it. Not at the grounds, but on route. Or at Waterloo. 

In those days that sort of thing happened a lot. We barely played West Ham for about 20 years, that doesn’t mean we never met them. There was loads of incidents of trouble between us in that time. Millwall would be at home to someone shit like chesterfield in division 3, they’d be away to United, there’s a good chance the Millwall lads of that era would go and hang around Kings Cross or the like hoping to bump in to them on their way back from Manchester. 
    They got off at new cross one year on the way to palace, Millwall was at home to Hull, and it kicked right off. That’s just how it was then. 
    I can remember when Arsenal were waiting at Euston for Spurs and we got there first after Watford away....Arsenal didn't hang about.
  • Taxi_Lad said:
    I never claimed that Millwall were present at the Charlton games, as so many people on this thread seem to be implying that I said. 

All i I said is that it’s quite a well known fact that Millwall quite often used to go on the hunt for Pompey when they was away at Charlton or palace, and they would be equally up for it. Not at the grounds, but on route. Or at Waterloo. 

In those days that sort of thing happened a lot. We barely played West Ham for about 20 years, that doesn’t mean we never met them. There was loads of incidents of trouble between us in that time. Millwall would be at home to someone shit like chesterfield in division 3, they’d be away to United, there’s a good chance the Millwall lads of that era would go and hang around Kings Cross or the like hoping to bump in to them on their way back from Manchester. 
    They got off at new cross one year on the way to palace, Millwall was at home to Hull, and it kicked right off. That’s just how it was then. 
    I can remember when Arsenal were waiting at Euston for Spurs and we got there first after Watford away....Arsenal didn't hang about.
    That was a good day out. I remember Selwyn running down the platform at Charing Cross, with a great big scaffold pile, chasing one of them on to the tracks.
  • Taxi_Lad said:

That was a good day out. I remember Selwyn running down the platform at Charing Cross, with a great big scaffold pile, chasing one of them on to the tracks.
    I remember that .quality day out .
    RIP Selwyn. 
  • For anyone who is interested in the good old/dark days, an article by one of the old Pompey lads. Charlton get a mention....

I looked for our mention but couldn’t find it?
  • edited March 2019
    For anyone who is interested in the good old/dark days, an article by one of the old Pompey lads. Charlton get a mention....

I imagine that's the joke
  • Croydon said:
    For anyone who is interested in the good old/dark days, an article by one of the old Pompey lads. Charlton get a mention....

I imagine that's the joke
    It had crossed my mind actually, I just couldn’t be arsed to skim through it all again after my initial glance.
    If there is no mention then it’s obviously a piss take from one of our friends from SE19.......better known as “the zone of vile repugnance”.
  • edited March 2019
    There's a caption on one of the pictures along the lines of "...on the way to Charlton..."    I creamed my pants!   MF must get through some Kleenex.
  • Easter Saturday 1984. Charlton away with the usual row with Millwall at Waterloo and London Bridge.
  • Easter Saturday 1984. Charlton away with the usual row with Millwall at Waterloo and London Bridge.
    Yer that was our only mention....one of the top 5 firms in England (Portsmouth) was a tad OTT.
  • Taxi_Lad said:
    fog horn said:
    Pompey have always come to us in their numbers. They seem to respect us but it can be a little hostile down at their place.
    in the world of "Terrace Culture" the fact that Pompey respect little old Charlton is quite impressive  In their pomp (excuse the pun), with the 657 crew, Pompey were a match for most ! 
    We had a huge rivalry with Pompey during the late 70’s, 80’s and early 90’s. Talking to a couple of their lads once they said they always had to take a solid mob to Charlton and palace because it was inevitable that Millwall would have a go at either Waterloo or along the line somewhere on route to the valley or selhurst Park. Their train once got attacked at Queens Road Peckham on the way to palace. Not something I’m glorying in, just explains why they turned up at yours mob handed. Nothing to do with respect for charlton, more to do with the rivalry with Millwall. 
    Load of bollocks 

• Sponsored links:

• Taxi_Lad said:
    fog horn said:
    Pompey have always come to us in their numbers. They seem to respect us but it can be a little hostile down at their place.
    in the world of "Terrace Culture" the fact that Pompey respect little old Charlton is quite impressive  In their pomp (excuse the pun), with the 657 crew, Pompey were a match for most ! 
    We had a huge rivalry with Pompey during the late 70’s, 80’s and early 90’s. Talking to a couple of their lads once they said they always had to take a solid mob to Charlton and palace because it was inevitable that Millwall would have a go at either Waterloo or along the line somewhere on route to the valley or selhurst Park. Their train once got attacked at Queens Road Peckham on the way to palace. Not something I’m glorying in, just explains why they turned up at yours mob handed. Nothing to do with respect for charlton, more to do with the rivalry with Millwall. 
    Load of bollocks 

Not really. It’s quite a well known fact amongst those who were/are involved in this sort of thing that Millwall and Pompey would seek each other out whenever Pompey we’re away to palace and Charlton. 

I read that 657 book years ago and the chapter on Millwall was the biggest in the book (bigger than the chapter in Southampton) and it’s mentioned in there about the clashes v Millwall whenever they was away at yours and palace. As I say, I’m not glorifying it. I couldn’t give a shit either way tbh, I’m just stating a fact. 
    Absolute bollocks pal.....and believe you me, I would know.

• The Nigels would give that Pompey mob a run for their money.
  • Chunes said:
    Taxi_Lad said:
    I don't get why them being 'top dogs' is a positive thing. Top of all the knuckle-dragging mindless thug idiots? Congratulations. What an honour. 

Why would anyone would want to imply that us having a 'decent mob' would be something to be proud of, either? I'd rather we never had one.
    Well if we were all the same, and times didn't change then the world would be a boring place. I'm guessing you utilise social media for everything, use the phrase "Can I Get" and pay for a pint with a card. Now I don't get most of that, but that's today, and we were then.  None of us are saying that the passage of time, has not put it into a different perspective. However, it was a thing of its time. 
    Very well put sir
  • Addickted said:
    The Nigels would give that Pompey mob a run for their money.
    Doubt it
  • Addickted said:
    The Nigels would give that Pompey mob a run for their money.
    nice jumpers though.
  • Do all hooligan books sound exactly the same?
  • Remember standing on east terrace as our lot went in to the Pompey end during a 2-2 draw they then came running back with the old bill behind them and someone dropped a knife right in front of me.
  • Taxi_Lad said:
    fog horn said:
    Load of bollocks 

You are such a knob.
  • You're a bit early mf, kickoff's at 2.30