Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Portsmouth fans

Comments

• MrOneLung said:
    What happened in Greenwich?
    Was there an incident at the station?
  • edited March 2019
  • addick05 said:
    milo said:
    That pic of the Pompey game is not Chsrlton and Pompey having it.It was Charlton v Plod ---- Pompey weren't about that day.

We were in three pubs in Havant and Plod moved everyone out from there. Shoved us into one section in the ground and then started aiming people out.Thats till it went off.

I think this was very close to when we got booted out of The Valley ,probably the first big away game
    Was there that day -think we lost .Soon after we we won 5-3 down at Brighton .Curbs scored for us .

We won 2-1, drew 1-1 ‘home’ to Portsmouth at Selhurst that year. Portsmouth were relegated we finished two places above them. The season we needed a draw away to Chelsea to avoid the playoffs.

brighton 5-3 was our promotion season.

Remember that game. Mike Flanagan scored, came running over to us and jumped up on the wire fencing in celebration. Listened to the radio in the motor on the way home and the Brighton manager (can't remember who he was) bemoaning the fact that if Brighton 'were going to go up they had to beat the likes of Charlton'. Cocky dipstick. Wonder what he made of the final table at the end of the season. Back to the punch-up stories, who remembers the FA Cup against Arsenal at Highbury - 1968?- when Charlton took the North Bank?
    1969 ;-) Thousands of Charlton there that day, up the North bank & on the side. Hundreds ran riot in Holloway Road early on, many shop windows went through & mass looting of Jewellers off licences & clothes shops. Leicester coach on the way to Millwall passed us by with a few missiles thrown. Made front page headlines in the Evening News that night. 
  • Chunes said:
    Taxi_Lad said:
    We can take the piss out of @MillwallFan and have fun doing it but they were top dogs for most of the hooligan heyday, mixing it with the likes of Chelsea West Ham Leeds. But it rankles with me when they claim to have been present at so many Charlton games.  I can think of 2/3 at most 
    I don't get why them being 'top dogs' is a positive thing. Top of all the knuckle-dragging mindless thug idiots? Congratulations. What an honour. 

Why would anyone would want to imply that us having a 'decent mob' would be something to be proud of, either? I'd rather we never had one.
    Well if we were all the same, and times didn't change then the world would be a boring place. I'm guessing you utilise social media for everything, use the phrase "Can I Get" and pay for a pint with a card. Now I don't get most of that, but that's today, and we were then.  None of us are saying that the passage of time, has not put it into a different perspective. However, it was a thing of its time. 
    This times ten.
  • Sponsored links:

• Chunes said:
    Taxi_Lad said:
    We can take the piss out of @MillwallFan and have fun doing it but they were top dogs for most of the hooligan heyday, mixing it with the likes of Chelsea West Ham Leeds. But it rankles with me when they claim to have been present at so many Charlton games.  I can think of 2/3 at most 
    I don't get why them being 'top dogs' is a positive thing. Top of all the knuckle-dragging mindless thug idiots? Congratulations. What an honour. 

Why would anyone would want to imply that us having a 'decent mob' would be something to be proud of, either? I'd rather we never had one.
    Well if we were all the same, and times didn't change then the world would be a boring place. I'm guessing you utilise social media for everything, use the phrase "Can I Get" and pay for a pint with a card. Now I don't get most of that, but that's today, and we were then.  None of us are saying that the passage of time, has not put it into a different perspective. However, it was a thing of its time. 
    Great post mate, well said.
    Excellent post mate 100 percent right
  • Just to add to what Ralph said.
    Actual violence/fighting was only a tiny percentage of what went on, usually lasted no more than a minute and from our side never involved anyone who wasn't up for it.
    No regrets here.
    Bloody hooligan. 
  • As someone who couldn’t fight his way out of a wet paper bag , you do need some nutbags who can scrap with the other teams nutters .
    so as much as it seems wrong , you need em to act as a deterrent to the oppos lunatics !
  • Don’t forget the clobber! A weeks wages sometimes just to look good at footy
  • Taxi_Lad said:
    Just to add to what Ralph said.
    Actual violence/fighting was only a tiny percentage of what went on, usually lasted no more than a minute and from our side never involved anyone who wasn't up for it.
    No regrets here.
    I sort of regret those purple Lois jumbo cords I wore 😳
    least we had proper flares.
  • As someone who couldn’t fight his way out of a wet paper bag , you do need some nutbags who can scrap with the other teams nutters .
    so as much as it seems wrong , you need em to act as a deterrent to the oppos lunatics !

Or someone to hide in the bogs with when it kicks off in Hereford!
  • Any road you bloody hooligans...  Any truth in the rumour that Wall had it on with the Burton Massive last night in Floyd Road?  Something to do with some previous in 1985 between them and a dodgy stare out from one train platform to another incident... 

Or someone to hide in the bogs with when it kicks off in Hereford!
    Ha ha ! That was Si , I was frontline as it kicked off and slipped in to reverse and slid to the back of the pub !
  • Sponsored links:

• Taxi_Lad said:
    No regrets here.

worn with a pair of Diadora Bjorg Elite and a Fila BJ tracksuit top I hope.
  • Taxi_Lad said:
    No regrets here.

worn with a pair of Diadora Bjorg Elite and a Fila BJ tracksuit top I hope.
    Spot on! With a Lyle & Scot roll neck. Loved that Fila track top til I burnt a big iron mark on the back of it😩
  • Chunes said:
    Taxi_Lad said:

Chunes help you breath more easily.......or not........as the case may be.
  • 1905 said:
    Taxi_Lad said:
    The last time they came was against Burnley (I think) and about 50 got a good hiding where our Police control box is now. One of those was Craig Fairbrass the actor. The afters went on for some time afterwards including my brother getting done by them on a bus.

Was this against Barnsley?  We were in the Jimmy Seed as the seats were being put in the North?

Millwall caught a cold that day. 

fog horn said:
    Trust Millwall to turn it around to be all about them. LOL 
    Pretty sure it was Barnsley and the Millwall mob first tried to see if Barnsley were interested in teaming up - they weren't. We arrived at the back of the South Stand where the Millwall were grouped and when the numbers evened out it all kicked off and they fought a running rearguard out of the ground. I had great fun chasing Fairbrass up the muddy slope behind the flats in Valley Grove. He was shitting himself and covered in mud as he desperately tried to climb away. A bully who I once heard scream "I hope you die of cancer" to a Traffic Warden ticketing his Merc at The Standard. I came across him threatening a mate of mine once outside his home (old schoolboy) and asked him to pick on someone his size - he laid an egg. After many years of doing it, that was the last time Millwall ever showed up at a non-Millwall game.
  • Don’t want to steal oohaah’s thunder but I take it we are on the left

200 Charlton 😂
    The right.
  • addick05 said:
    milo said:
    That pic of the Pompey game is not Chsrlton and Pompey having it.It was Charlton v Plod ---- Pompey weren't about that day.

We were in three pubs in Havant and Plod moved everyone out from there. Shoved us into one section in the ground and then started aiming people out.Thats till it went off.

I think this was very close to when we got booted out of The Valley ,probably the first big away game
    Was there that day -think we lost .Soon after we we won 5-3 down at Brighton .Curbs scored for us .

We won 2-1, drew 1-1 ‘home’ to Portsmouth at Selhurst that year. Portsmouth were relegated we finished two places above them. The season we needed a draw away to Chelsea to avoid the playoffs.

brighton 5-3 was our promotion season.

Remember that game. Mike Flanagan scored, came running over to us and jumped up on the wire fencing in celebration. Listened to the radio in the motor on the way home and the Brighton manager (can't remember who he was) bemoaning the fact that if Brighton 'were going to go up they had to beat the likes of Charlton'. Cocky dipstick. Wonder what he made of the final table at the end of the season. Back to the punch-up stories, who remembers the FA Cup against Arsenal at Highbury - 1968?- when Charlton took the North Bank?
    1969 ;-) Thousands of Charlton there that day, up the North bank & on the side. Hundreds ran riot in Holloway Road early on, many shop windows went through & mass looting of Jewellers off licences & clothes shops. Leicester coach on the way to Millwall passed us by with a few missiles thrown. Made front page headlines in the Evening News that night. 
    There was large article on the Charlton march to the game, the trouble at the match and damage and theft from jewellers en route in the News of the World too.
  • 1905 said:
    Taxi_Lad said:
    The last time they came was against Burnley (I think) and about 50 got a good hiding where our Police control box is now. One of those was Craig Fairbrass the actor. The afters went on for some time afterwards including my brother getting done by them on a bus.

Was this against Barnsley?  We were in the Jimmy Seed as the seats were being put in the North?

Millwall caught a cold that day. 

fog horn said:
    Trust Millwall to turn it around to be all about them. LOL 
    Pretty sure it was Barnsley and the Millwall mob first tried to see if Barnsley were interested in teaming up - they weren't. We arrived at the back of the South Stand where the Millwall were grouped and when the numbers evened out it all kicked off and they fought a running rearguard out of the ground. I had great fun chasing Fairbrass up the muddy slope behind the flats in Valley Grove. He was shitting himself and covered in mud as he desperately tried to climb away. A bully who I once heard scream "I hope you die of cancer" to a Traffic Warden ticketing his Merc at The Standard. I came across him threatening a mate of mine once outside his home (old schoolboy) and asked him to pick on someone his size - he laid an egg. After many years of doing it, that was the last time Millwall ever showed up at a non-Millwall game.
    Your memory is excellent sir. I knew it began with  B.