Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Portsmouth fans

Comments

• Remember well drinking out side the Royal Oak it wasn't summer but pub was packed. I'm guessing at about early 80,s. Pompey came up over the railway crossing and it went off at the oak. Including some kind of home made explosive device that left a really large burn on the car bonnet it exploded on. 

Trouble is so many Millwall fans spout shit about their history and people suck it up and add their bit before passing it on. Although Charlton from the age of five, I was a South London lad. Perhaps the last of an era that went to both clubs. Many of my best mates were Millwall, I was at many of the biggest Millwall games over the years, Luton , West Ham, West Brom, Villa even Lincoln on a Tuesday night in the Sherpa Van final or what ever it was called back then. 

Whilst Millwall fans who know fuck all will spout the anorak train spotting shit about us. If you actually meet the guys who were really there, you will find a lot of respect for our 70's into 80,s firm. They knew they always had us in numbers of hardcore up front hooligans. But, they also knew that on if we put our main 40 up against their best, it would be no walk over. Hence the many occasions their second string hoolies came in the covered end and got a bloody good hiding. Then retreating until the heavier mob arrived. 

I have stood toe to toe out the back of the Alderton road terrace, on a dark Tuesday night at 9:45 having it large. An some Millwall Fan can come on here and say what he likes. But, as it was 20 years before he was born, I will go with my memory rather than his knowledge of Millwalls history.

This is no attempt to glorify those days. It was , what it was. An I don't regret a day of it. I don't remember to many people getting badly hurt. Black eyes fat lips, and flat noses were the order of the day. Weapons were rarely carried or used. An were frowned upon by most, as if can't hold your hands up then don't come. 

But, like ricketts, the British Empire , an white dog shit, it's now ancient history and the world has fortunately moved on. 

Another spot on post

• Remember well drinking out side the Royal Oak it wasn't summer but pub was packed. I'm guessing at about early 80,s. Pompey came up over the railway crossing and it went off at the oak. Including some kind of home made explosive device that left a really large burn on the car bonnet it exploded on. 

Trouble is so many Millwall fans spout shit about their history and people suck it up and add their bit before passing it on. Although Charlton from the age of five, I was a South London lad. Perhaps the last of an era that went to both clubs. Many of my best mates were Millwall, I was at many of the biggest Millwall games over the years, Luton , West Ham, West Brom, Villa even Lincoln on a Tuesday night in the Sherpa Van final or what ever it was called back then. 

Whilst Millwall fans who know fuck all will spout the anorak train spotting shit about us. If you actually meet the guys who were really there, you will find a lot of respect for our 70's into 80,s firm. They knew they always had us in numbers of hardcore up front hooligans. But, they also knew that on if we put our main 40 up against their best, it would be no walk over. Hence the many occasions their second string hoolies came in the covered end and got a bloody good hiding. Then retreating until the heavier mob arrived. 

I have stood toe to toe out the back of the Alderton road terrace, on a dark Tuesday night at 9:45 having it large. An some Millwall Fan can come on here and say what he likes. But, as it was 20 years before he was born, I will go with my memory rather than his knowledge of Millwalls history.

This is no attempt to glorify those days. It was , what it was. An I don't regret a day of it. I don't remember to many people getting badly hurt. Black eyes fat lips, and flat noses were the order of the day. Weapons were rarely carried or used. An were frowned upon by most, as if can't hold your hands up then don't come. 

But, like ricketts, the British Empire , an white dog shit, it's now ancient history and the world has fortunately moved on. 

20 years before I was born? What the mid 50’s?? 

Mate, I know all the main lot from Millwall who were involved in the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s, and have done for a very long time, and I have never heard anyone rate Charlton as a mob, not once. Respect? Not once have I heard that. Sorry. 

Agree with the last last paragraph though. Night
    Bet they don't rate West Ham either. 
  • Excruciatingly painful thread to read... grown adults ffs!

Agree with SE9, football in this era sounds shite.
    You have to appreciate the world was very different. We all left school at 16,were working in shit jobs, on low wages, an didn't do 2 years of upper 6th before doing 3 years at Uni, before sodding off round the world for a few years. We had a very different localised , almost tribal view of the world. 
    Passion.
  • Excruciatingly painful thread to read... grown adults ffs!

Agree with SE9, football in this era sounds shite.
    You have to appreciate the world was very different. We all left school at 16,were working in shit jobs, on low wages, an didn't do 2 years of upper 6th before doing 3 years at Uni, before sodding off round the world for a few years. We had a very different localised , almost tribal view of the world. 
    Passion.
    Talking of knobs
  • Taxi_Lad said:
    fog horn said:
    Pompey have always come to us in their numbers. They seem to respect us but it can be a little hostile down at their place.
    in the world of "Terrace Culture" the fact that Pompey respect little old Charlton is quite impressive  In their pomp (excuse the pun), with the 657 crew, Pompey were a match for most ! 
    We had a huge rivalry with Pompey during the late 70’s, 80’s and early 90’s. Talking to a couple of their lads once they said they always had to take a solid mob to Charlton and palace because it was inevitable that Millwall would have a go at either Waterloo or along the line somewhere on route to the valley or selhurst Park. Their train once got attacked at Queens Road Peckham on the way to palace. Not something I’m glorying in, just explains why they turned up at yours mob handed. Nothing to do with respect for charlton, more to do with the rivalry with Millwall. 
    Load of bollocks 

Not really. It’s quite a well known fact amongst those who were/are involved in this sort of thing that Millwall and Pompey would seek each other out whenever Pompey we’re away to palace and Charlton. 

I read that 657 book years ago and the chapter on Millwall was the biggest in the book (bigger than the chapter in Southampton) and it’s mentioned in there about the clashes v Millwall whenever they was away at yours and palace. As I say, I’m not glorifying it. I couldn’t give a shit either way tbh, I’m just stating a fact. 
    It was a load of bollocks that pompey HAD to take a solid mob because they were frightened of you.

Throughout the 70's/80's firms would often bump into each other at stations, sometimes planned usually random. Remember no mobiles then or arranged fights.

One of the most vicious I was in was coming back from QPR a tube train full of Chelsea pulled up and we got in. It was carnage.

How old are you MF?
    That must be the time we had half a carriage and the rest of the train was all Chelsea.  We all got off at the same station.
  • Taxi_Lad said:
    fog horn said:
    Pompey have always come to us in their numbers. They seem to respect us but it can be a little hostile down at their place.
    in the world of "Terrace Culture" the fact that Pompey respect little old Charlton is quite impressive  In their pomp (excuse the pun), with the 657 crew, Pompey were a match for most ! 
    We had a huge rivalry with Pompey during the late 70’s, 80’s and early 90’s. Talking to a couple of their lads once they said they always had to take a solid mob to Charlton and palace because it was inevitable that Millwall would have a go at either Waterloo or along the line somewhere on route to the valley or selhurst Park. Their train once got attacked at Queens Road Peckham on the way to palace. Not something I’m glorying in, just explains why they turned up at yours mob handed. Nothing to do with respect for charlton, more to do with the rivalry with Millwall. 
    Load of bollocks 

Not really. It’s quite a well known fact amongst those who were/are involved in this sort of thing that Millwall and Pompey would seek each other out whenever Pompey we’re away to palace and Charlton. 

I read that 657 book years ago and the chapter on Millwall was the biggest in the book (bigger than the chapter in Southampton) and it’s mentioned in there about the clashes v Millwall whenever they was away at yours and palace. As I say, I’m not glorifying it. I couldn’t give a shit either way tbh, I’m just stating a fact. 
    It was a load of bollocks that pompey HAD to take a solid mob because they were frightened of you.

Throughout the 70's/80's firms would often bump into each other at stations, sometimes planned usually random. Remember no mobiles then or arranged fights.

One of the most vicious I was in was coming back from QPR a tube train full of Chelsea pulled up and we got in. It was carnage.

How old are you MF?
    That must be the time we had half a carriage and the rest of the train was all Chelsea.  We all got off at the same station.
    Correct.
  • This thread proves what I have always said

BBW is a good and insightful poster
    MF is just knob and WUM who should just go back to NSB and take his crap there
  • Sponsored links:

Mate, I know all the main lot from Millwall who were involved in the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s, and have done for a very long time, and I have never heard anyone rate Charlton as a mob, not once. Respect? Not once have I heard that. Sorry. 

You're embarrassing yourself.

FUCK OFF knob
    Swearing Ban Application Review Committee Verdict - Application Granted
    Thanks boss.
    I shall now be on my best behaviour. 
  • Addickted said:
    I'm truly shocked.

You've actually read a book.
    Aye, green it was. 😉
  • I wonder what that copper was thinking.
  • Think I can just spot Harry the Dog, Terry Hurlock and Daniel Day Lewis right in the mixer there 
    Daniel Day Lewis was Charlton. Fact.
  • Sponsored links:

"I'll ask Danny Baker for his autograph at half time".
    Why didn't we take that fence in the middle out then they could kill each other.
  • edited March 2019
    We can take the piss out of @MillwallFan and have fun doing it but they were top dogs for most of the hooligan heyday, mixing it with the likes of Chelsea West Ham Leeds. But it rankles with me when they claim to have been present at so many Charlton games.  I can think of 2/3 at most 
  • Taxi_Lad said:
    We can take the piss out of @MillwallFan and have fun doing it but they were top dogs for most of the hooligan heyday, mixing it with the likes of Chelsea West Ham Leeds. But it rankles with me when they claim to have been present at so many Charlton games.  I can think of 2/3 at most 
    The last time they came was against Burnley (I think) and about 50 got a good hiding where our Police control box is now. One of those was Craig Fairbrass the actor. The afters went on for some time afterwards including my brother getting done by them on a bus.
  • edited March 2019
    I remember walking back from cold blow lane after a millwall Charlton game late 80's/early 90's. Cant remember the score but assume we lost! My dad sensible told us to tuck our scarfs in tight and move quickly as there were lots of people running round fighting. One fella was wearing a Charlton shirt and got started on by about 2 or 3 millwall. He whipped his shirt off,  threw it the ground and had it with them! Never seen anything like it haha! I assume he got a kicking, but maybe not?

Football was certainly rougher in the 80's, but as a kid i didn't really notice  apart from Leeds at home in the play offs obviously! Glad i didnt take my kids on Saturday as i wouldn't have wanted them to see anything bad. As soon as th KO was moced back i knew it would be lively :smile:
  • Taxi_Lad said:
    The last time they came was against Burnley (I think) and about 50 got a good hiding where our Police control box is now. One of those was Craig Fairbrass the actor. The afters went on for some time afterwards including my brother getting done by them on a bus.

Was this against Barnsley?  We were in the Jimmy Seed as the seats were being put in the North?

Millwall caught a cold that day. 

• That pic of the Pompey game is not Chsrlton and Pompey having it.It was Charlton v Plod ---- Pompey weren't about that day.

We were in three pubs in Havant and Plod moved everyone out from there. Shoved us into one section in the ground and then started aiming people out.Thats till it went off.

I think this was very close to when we got booted out of The Valley ,probably the first big away game
  • That pic of the Pompey game is not Chsrlton and Pompey having it.It was Charlton v Plod ---- Pompey weren't about that day.

We were in three pubs in Havant and Plod moved everyone out from there. Shoved us into one section in the ground and then started aiming people out.Thats till it went off.

I think this was very close to when we got booted out of The Valley ,probably the first big away game
    plod were only there in case Millwall turned up
  • edited March 2019
    Wasn't the pic when police were waiting for (their words) the Charlton Action Group, who they wrongly assumed were to protest at Fratton about the move to Selhurst. They had saved the middle pen to isolate the so called CAG, but when the lads arrived, loads more of us joined them in this middle pen and buggered up the police strategy.