Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Portsmouth fans

Comments

• Options
    What would a train full of Portsmouth fans be doing at Peckham on their way to Palace when there is a direct line from Portsmouth to East Croydon?
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    fog horn said:
    Pompey have always come to us in their numbers. They seem to respect us but it can be a little hostile down at their place.
    in the world of "Terrace Culture" the fact that Pompey respect little old Charlton is quite impressive  In their pomp (excuse the pun), with the 657 crew, Pompey were a match for most ! 
    We had a huge rivalry with Pompey during the late 70’s, 80’s and early 90’s. Talking to a couple of their lads once they said they always had to take a solid mob to Charlton and palace because it was inevitable that Millwall would have a go at either Waterloo or along the line somewhere on route to the valley or selhurst Park. Their train once got attacked at Queens Road Peckham on the way to palace. Not something I’m glorying in, just explains why they turned up at yours mob handed. Nothing to do with respect for charlton, more to do with the rivalry with Millwall. 
    Portsmouth once bought about 80 coach loads to the valley. 
    I suppose they all came by coach in case Millwall jumped them on a train.
    What game was that? I mean, what was at stake and was it an awkward kick off time? Pompeys mob traditionally used the train, the clues in the name.. 6:57
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    fog horn said:
    Pompey have always come to us in their numbers. They seem to respect us but it can be a little hostile down at their place.
    in the world of "Terrace Culture" the fact that Pompey respect little old Charlton is quite impressive  In their pomp (excuse the pun), with the 657 crew, Pompey were a match for most ! 
    We had a huge rivalry with Pompey during the late 70’s, 80’s and early 90’s. Talking to a couple of their lads once they said they always had to take a solid mob to Charlton and palace because it was inevitable that Millwall would have a go at either Waterloo or along the line somewhere on route to the valley or selhurst Park. Their train once got attacked at Queens Road Peckham on the way to palace. Not something I’m glorying in, just explains why they turned up at yours mob handed. Nothing to do with respect for charlton, more to do with the rivalry with Millwall. 
    What game was that? I mean, what was at stake and was it an awkward kick off time? Pompeys mob traditionally used the train, the clues in the name.. 6:57
    It was an FA cup game.
    I can't remember the exact year but Pompy had thousands there that day.
    I'm sure someone on here will remember the year and the amount of Pompy at the game .
  • Options
    Probably 1976.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Taxi_Lad said:
    fog horn said:
    It was an FA cup game.
    I can't remember the exact year but Pompy had thousands there that day.
    I'm sure someone on here will remember the year and the amount of Pompy at the game .
    As @superclive98 said it was 1976 and long before the 657 crew had even been born. They turned up early and tried to take the covered end but got nowhere near it. They were repelled at the back of the old West Stand 
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    fog horn said:
    I used to love playing cowboys and Indians too.
    When I was 9.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    fog horn said:
    Load of bollocks 
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    fog horn said:
    Chinny reckon :smiley:
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    fog horn said:
    One thing hasn't changed, you still talk b******s in the 70's.80's.90's  and 2000's.  Another keyboard warrior. 
    You are talking crap this time. In the 70s Charlton got in the Pompey end and stood their ground. 
  • Options
    I suppose they also brought it on with us down at Fratton too just in case any Millwall had made the trip??
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Going to football in the olden days sounds dreadful 
    You was always guaranteed a fun filled day regardless who you was playing. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    I have to admit it , I loved it most of the time. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    redbuttle said:
    se9addick said:
    I think we all did even though it got a bit hairy at times
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    redbuttle said:
    se9addick said:
    I think we all did even though it got a bit hairy at times
    Could be 'fun' at times, but not when we 'entertained' the likes of Chelsea, WHU, Millwall and Spurs.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    It was the best of times and the worse of times
  • Options
    I remember a Pompey game back in the 60's, and for once I stood on the East terrace and observed a running fight from the East to the "open end", now Jimmy Seed, and was told it was Millwall fans against Pompey. What surprised me was a big (I mean fat) bloke with his smaller brothers t-shirt on standing in front of me, (quite empty then) and he was surrounded by about a dozen younger kids (about 12-13 years old), and he was directing them as to where and when to fight.
  • Options
    Chelsea at there's in the battle of the Bridge was fun

As was Spurs away in the FA Cup

Even Millwall away when the trains were fecked and they let us all out together

Happy days
  • Options
    Well I don't know how anyone can argue... it is obvious that Wall are involved in ANY bother in the UK and continental Europe!  Makes you wonder how they have the time to sell fruit off a barra and talk shite loudly in Sarf Lunden pubs...   
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    fog horn said:
    Load of bollocks 

Not really. It’s quite a well known fact amongst those who were/are involved in this sort of thing that Millwall and Pompey would seek each other out whenever Pompey we’re away to palace and Charlton. 

I read that 657 book years ago and the chapter on Millwall was the biggest in the book (bigger than the chapter in Southampton) and it’s mentioned in there about the clashes v Millwall whenever they was away at yours and palace. As I say, I’m not glorifying it. I couldn’t give a shit either way tbh, I’m just stating a fact. 
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    fog horn said:
    Load of bollocks 

Not really. It’s quite a well known fact amongst those who were/are involved in this sort of thing that Millwall and Pompey would seek each other out whenever Pompey we’re away to palace and Charlton. 

I read that 657 book years ago and the chapter on Millwall was the biggest in the book (bigger than the chapter in Southampton) and it’s mentioned in there about the clashes v Millwall whenever they was away at yours and palace. As I say, I’m not glorifying it. I couldn’t give a shit either way tbh, I’m just stating a fact. 

• Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    fog horn said:
    Load of bollocks 

Absolute bollocks pal.....and believe you me, I would know.