Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Portsmouth | Sat 09 Mar | 5:30pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    We are strange to watch as when we have the ball from the back, we often build like a Premier League Side. But it seems to be style over substance at the moment.  
    I think when we’ve had a good spell we’ve mixed it up a bit. Long balls to Taylor when pressed, or balls over the top.
    I don’t care how we do it tomorrow so long as we win. 
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    I think the movement and speed of pass can be terrific, until the final third when decision making is dire. Also, our midfield who look so good with the ball, don't win enough second ball. But it is probably why quite a few opponents are impressed with us. Doncaster fans said we were the best team they have played but maybe should have beaten us. Mind you it dates back to KR. I recall going to Oxford and walking back to the car some Oxford fans were raving about our football, and I was thinking, we drew the game 1-1 and could have lost it.
  • Options
    Taylor and Grant were very good at running the channels and stretching teams, especially Grant on the left, whose pace was too much for League 1 defenders to handle. That gave us more of an ‘out’ ball and made teams wary of pressing us too high. That opposition concern has now abated, following Roland’s January sale.

Vetokele or Parker do not have that kind of pace, so I think that has contributed to more neat but ponderous, non-penetrative play in midfield. I’m sure that Bowyer and Jacko have been assessing the best alternative combination(s) up front, including from the bench, and working hard on that in training.
  • Options
    Losing Grant's pace has been such a big factor. His pace and clever movement pushed defences deeper and pulled players out of position creating space. The likes of Aribo, Taylor, Fosu, and Reeves, at times, had ridiculous amounts of time and space to work in. The killer ball is a lot easier to find when you're not being rushed by a defender. When teams did try to squeeze us then he was great outlet into the channels and provided a number of assists himself with pull backs and crosses from the byline. He didn't get nearly enough credit for it when he was here, received wisdom was that Taylor made him look good, but if anything it's looking like Grant made Taylor look better.

It's still early days though, the front line has been so unsettled in the last 6 weeks, Grant leaving, Taylor suspended, Parker injured/ill, Igor back from a long spell out, Reeco not being ready, and failed experiments like Marshall up front. I think we're just writing off our goalscoring threat by extrapolating and drawing conclusions based on too little data. Unless I am mistaken, Taylor has started one game with Parker and one game with Igor - nowhere near enough to properly judge what they can do together and not much time for Bowyer to figure out how we need to play to get the best out of the new front pair.
  • Options
    It is true, but a sniffer type striker may have given us a different attribute that could have been as effective or even more so. We won't know because Grant wasn't replaced, which was criminal. I think we are short of players who make runs into the box where it hurts. We absolutely have to give Fosu a run, because he is an attacking player that can give defences real problems. The problems we give defences needs to be raised a few levels with what we have got if possible.
  • Options
    Not replacing Grant was f@#$ing criminal imo.
    It makes you wonder if Shitweasel wants us to go up or not.
  • Options
    I think he does as selling the club has to be easier, it is just he doesn't understand that a player he is paying £7.5k a week might not be that good anymore. I hope he is right on that, but we haven't seen any evidence he is. Even if by some miracle Vetokele gets back to something like he was before his injury, it was always too much of a gamble not to cover the fact he might not. 
  • Options
    Charlton on the Roger Melly! Got a Pompei win all over it
  • Options
    We played some excellent football in the first 10-20 against Donny. The first 70min were full of very good football from us and we kept going at them. Pompey, I believe, like to hit teams with pace on the counter. At times we've seen Cullen, Bielik, and both fullbacks get caught too far upfield leaving our center backs completely exposed. Love Bielik, an absolute classy player, but hopefully this week in training Bows and Jacko have been talking to him about stay close to his center backs when we're in possession. 

Agree with your team FA. No clue on the result though. 
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    SDAddick said:
    We played some excellent football in the first 10-20 against Donny. The first 70min were full of very good football from us and we kept going at them. Pompey, I believe, like to hit teams with pace on the counter. At times we've seen Cullen, Bielik, and both fullbacks get caught too far upfield leaving our center backs completely exposed. Love Bielik, an absolute classy player, but hopefully this week in training Bows and Jacko have been talking to him about stay close to his center backs when we're in possession. 

Agree with your team FA. No clue on the result though. 
    re the full backs .. I would have said often caught in no man's land rather than too far upfield .. neither are over blessed with pace and like to hover around the half way line .. as to covering the defence, Pratley, the forgotten man does that job well .. but who to omit to find a place for him ? 

EDIT .. just seen the injury Pratley picked up against Mansfield is 'worse than at first thought' .. hence he can't play the role I'd like him to ((:>)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    On the dreaded Sky Sports with a live game meaning we miss our 3pm traditional slot. Think the gap to 7th will be closer come 5.30pm and I cannot see us closing it. 1-0 Portsmouth and not a pretty match.
  • Options
    Back from Honkers for this one and very excited. 

Seven members of the grumpy clan will be in the east stand Block F to cheer the boys on to an historic victory and the breaking of the 300 year old Sky curse.

3-1

So you're the culprit that's booked all the tickets in our row.....had to buy a ticket 2 rows further forward than normal. !!

Game on Sky.....Pompey starting to fire again (2 successive wins, 7 scored & 1 conceeded)....we are in the doldrums.

1-2. 
    My sincere apologies but I never like to sit any further forward than row H because you get soaked if it rains.

Will keep an eye out for two angry wet people, a few rows in front. 
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    I wonder if Taylor's dipped form is because he is trying to play without getting a yellow card
    Quite possibly .
    Personally I think it's due to losing Grant. 
    They had a very special and successfull partnership .Taylor has not looked the same since Grant left.
    Interestingly the only people to benefit from Grant going have been Grant (higher salary) and Roland (£2m in his pocket). From a footballing point of view, none of Charlton (struggled for goals), Taylor (no goals), Hudders (struggled for goals, 2 scored and 4 defeats in 5)and Grant (no goals except a fake goal) have benefited at all.
  • Options
    To be fair, Huddersfield were always going to struggle for goals. 
  • Options
    1-0 Charlton.

Phillips the hero to prevent any goals against. 
  • Options
    Pompey are bound to score so we will have to score 2 - therefore 1-1
  • Options
    Pompey are bound to score so we will have to score 2 - therefore 1-1
    Just had a look at league results this season. Pompey failed to score in 5 games so far and for us it’s happened 6 times. 
  • Options
    Would be good to see the goals start to flow from us. Tomorrow would be a good game to start. I really believe Fosu needs to be starting to give us a chance of that being a regular event though. I know his form has not been great but we can look a class apart and not get the goals we should so many times, that you have to change approach. I know we are doing ok in the play off places, but goal scoring is an issue and we have to try to address it, not carry on as we are.
  • Options
    I'd try this:               
                     Phillips
    Solly    Bauer    Sarr    Purrington
                     Cullen
            Williams       Aribo
                                          Fosu 
               Taylor    Vetokele
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'd try this:               
                     Phillips
    Solly    Bauer    Sarr    Purrington
                     Cullen
            Williams       Aribo
                                          Fosu 
               Taylor    Vetokele
    Could have just liked my post on page 1 😉
  • Options
    After tomorrow I'd be okay with giving that a go, at least at home, but I think that midfield is too lightweight and lacks the required defensive responsibility against a tough opponent, and Kenny Jackett sides are always physical.

Bielek is also very important to our level of defensive solidity - with him, Bauer and Sarr in the team we look a big side. Take him out and we suddenly look quite small overall.
  • Options
    We need Bielik in midfield for a bit of muscle and guile 
  • Options
    Is there live music at the swan before the game tomorrow? 
  • Options
    Yes, there is music Croydon from 3.30 til midnight.
  • Options
    Don't like going against the grain but Pompey have been scoring of late and if they can get two I think they win it 2-1. The late kick-off will give them another couple of hours drinking time which is not good news. I walked down Floyd Road during the match against them last season and have never seen so many pissed fans outside the ground for whatever reason. 
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    This is our problem. If a team gets one it is probably a draw and if they get two they probably beat us. Despite us being a decent side. It won't be solved without trying to get some more goals in the side.
  • Options
    My problem is a mix of late kick off and early Margaret river's shiraz. Fooking sky...
    5:4 Charlton
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Question:

Have we ever kicked off this late at the Valley on a Saturday ?
  • Options
    Question:

Have we every kicked off this late at the Valley on a Saturday ?
    We've had a few away games at this time but not at home I don't think.