Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Speed Cameras

Comments

• Options
    Greenie said:

On a lighter note a good mate of mine is a car dealer, he was ripped off by another dealer so found out what car and colour he owned, got the same model car, copied the number plates and blatted through half a dozen speed cameras. I bet it took some explaining when the NIP letter came through.
    Ditto with an old boss who sacked a mate for having some fun with his daughter.

Spent a whole weekend in a hired Volvo Estate with the same plates on. 16 speeding fines and four parking tickets.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Greenie said:

On a lighter note a good mate of mine is a car dealer, he was ripped off by another dealer so found out what car and colour he owned, got the same model car, copied the number plates and blatted through half a dozen speed cameras. I bet it took some explaining when the NIP letter came through.
    Ditto with an old boss who sacked a mate for having some fun with his daughter.

Spent a whole weekend in a hired Volvo Estate with the same plates on. 16 speeding fines and four parking tickets.
    revenge is oh so sweet aint it ((:>)
  • Options
    for some reason a lot of speed limits in our area have been reduced from 50 to 40 for no obvious reason. Never really saw any accidents on these particularly roads and always seemed pretty safe to me 
  • Options
    A few years ago on the stretch of the A2 (London bound) between the Black Prince and Falconwood exit three speed cameras. I used that stretch of road every day for work forward and return for 25 years and never once saw an accident on that section. A few years ago when the guidelines for speed cameras changed all three were removed. Been replaced by average speed cameras but at least I can see the logic in that.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    I used to work with a woman who, whenever she saw an "average speed check" warning sign, would look around her to see what speeds the other cars were doing.  And, if there were some going quite slowly, she would feel free to speed up a bit. 
    Please tell me this is a joke and that it didnt actually happen... Would be happy to take a whoosh if so
    It's absolutely true.  She had an important, multi-discipline role within a large, stock market-quoted, technology PLC.  She dealt with upwards of 80,000 B2B client customers, from offices in more than 100 countries and was able to call on any of several thousand staff.  

And, yet...
  • Options
    I think the switching of plates to get some kind of revenge is funny in one sense but I wonder what punishment would be meted out if the perpetrator was caught. Prison I would think.
  • Options
    Is there any trick to beating the average speed checks? I now have to frequent M20 daily since i moved (going homeworking soon) they are a nightmare, firstly where the roadworks are and even at 6:15 am you have to go 50-10mph, 50-10mph for a stretch. 

I say regarding the trick, as i tend to go just under 60mph but feel that its an accident waiting to happen and hopefully not several speeding fines coming my way (over the last 4 weeks) 

Always has been a grate of mine, also more so when they go down to 50/40 on the M25 when there is no problem
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Is there any trick to beating the average speed checks?
    There really isn't. Ultimately they are just timing the journey between 2 points a set distance apart. It's just pure mathematics (speed=distance/time). If your journey took less than the amount of time it would take at the designated speed limit you were speeding.
  • Options
    Is there any trick to beating the average speed checks? I now have to frequent M20 daily since i moved (going homeworking soon) they are a nightmare, firstly where the roadworks are and even at 6:15 am you have to go 50-10mph, 50-10mph for a stretch. 

I say regarding the trick, as i tend to go just under 60mph but feel that its an accident waiting to happen and hopefully not several speeding fines coming my way (over the last 4 weeks) 

Always has been a grate of mine, also more so when they go down to 50/40 on the M25 when there is no problem

Pull over onto the hard shoulder for a Jodrell in between the check points. That should do it. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    When when they first introduced average speed checks a mate of mine got a ticket for doing an average speed, let’s say, in excess 70mph. When he appeared before the beak, his defence was ‘the camera’s didn’t flash’ MLud. Before he realised they wouldn’t flash if they were measuring average speed. A loss of licence and a significant fine followed ... a lesson learnt 
  • Options
    Rizzo said:
    There really isn't. Ultimately they are just timing the journey between 2 points a set distance apart. It's just pure mathematics (speed=distance/time). If your journey took less than the amount of time it would take at the designated speed limit you were speeding.
    I do get that, i always thought that. Just i do see people sometimes fly past over what i am doing, i will be around 60mph in a 50, so i am speeding but trying to be clever eg. 55 for a bit. Just wondered if there is any little tricks people have as its a massive ball ache
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Rizzo said:
    I do get that, i always thought that. Just i do see people sometimes fly past over what i am doing, i will be around 60mph in a 50, so i am speeding but trying to be clever eg. 55 for a bit. Just wondered if there is any little tricks people have as its a massive ball ache
    Chances are, the people flying past you either don't realise what an average speed check is (and will probably slam on the brakes every time they pass a camera) or is a foreign driver who knows there is zero chance of actually having any penalty enforced. I drive the M20 most weeks and, as annoying as it is, I have resigned myself to just poodling along at about 52mph.
  • Options
    I was on a speed awareness course last May, and the ex copper who run the course said that a speed camera is installed whenever there has been two fatalities on a stretch of road. This applies to Hampshire not sue if this is national. They will often put one up after one fatality but that depends on the investigation. Certainly know this does not apply to the M25 it is purely a cash cow.
  • Options
    Driving back from Norfolk yesterday it was obvious that having an expensive car means that you can exceed the speed limit by a significant amount. 
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    Driving back from Norfolk yesterday it was obvious that having a German car means that you can exceed the speed limit by a significant amount. 
    EFA
  • Options
    Going on to the A13 from the Dartford Tunnel the speed limit is 50, then it goes up to to 70, then back down to 50 then, just for fun, down to 40! That's just between getting on the road and leaving at the flyover just past Barking Rugby club - 'barking' is an apt title!
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Addickted said:
    Crusty54 said:
    Driving back from Norfolk yesterday it was obvious that having a German car means that you can exceed the speed limit by a significant amount. 
    EFA
    You do not have my permission to alter my post. Please delete your post. 
  • Options
    Rizzo said:
    Rizzo said:
    Chances are, the people flying past you either don't realise what an average speed check is (and will probably slam on the brakes every time they pass a camera) or is a foreign driver who knows there is zero chance of actually having any penalty enforced. I drive the M20 most weeks and, as annoying as it is, I have resigned myself to just poodling along at about 52mph.
    The M23 has been set at 50 mph for ages while they upgrade it - I dawdle along around 50 as does most of the traffic.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Crusty54 said:
    Driving back from Norfolk yesterday it was obvious that having an expensive car means that you can exceed the speed limit by a significant amount. 
    Were you not aware of the benefits conferred upon you when purchasing an Audi, Beemer or Merc? It's part of the standard marketing merchandise - purchase of said vehicle entitles you to immediate use of the Krautside lane on all motorways, whilst simultaneously removing the burden of the requirement to indicate when turning
  • Options
    Rizzo said:
    There is the obvious way to beat the camera and avoid the a fine, points and a ban. It is not very popular to mention it on here. So I won’t.
  • Options
    Saw the old method in France years ago. Got the ticket at the toll booth, drove 100 miles or so and handed in ticket to pay when we changed roads. Another brit in the next booth pays and bell rings and local plod wander over. Tickets are timed on issue and when you pay they are timed again. Easy money. I always stop for a leak as soon as i go through the toll. Average speed then stays down. 
  • Options
    Its the SMART Motorways that are in place now

If your going in either direction between those two junctions and other sections of the M25 etc. now and see a Speed limit sign within a red circle then do that speed limit as its not a speed limit sign "suggesting" that you drop to that speed

They're bloody annoying when its obviously clear that your being reduced down to 50-mph for no reason and have clear roads, plus its bloody dangerous if the first sign tells you to drop to 60mph and then the next tells you to drop to 40mph as you've not got much time to reduce your speed accordingly
    The reason the speed limits are enforced on roads that are clear is because, by slowing you down upstream of the traffic hotspots, they are managing the rate at which traffic is arriving at those hot spots and reducing the accordion effect that contributes to the jams in those areas. These systems were piloted on the M42 on a stretch of road I used to drive often and it definitely improved traffic flow and although driving slower overall I used to get around that section faster with the smart speed limits than without them and using less fuel and getting less frustrated in the process.
  • Options
    Rizzo said:
    There is the obvious way to beat the camera and avoid the a fine, points and a ban. It is not very popular to mention it on here. So I won’t.
    @charltonkeston
    do share? please, unless its lane hopping? 
  • Options
    redman said:
    for some reason a lot of speed limits in our area have been reduced from 50 to 40 for no obvious reason. Never really saw any accidents on these particularly roads and always seemed pretty safe to me 
    The speed limit here on local roads were recently reduced from 90kmh to 80kmh. It's more to do with pollution apparently 
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Research suggests an average of more than 400 deaths or serious injuries are prevented each year in Britain by the use of cameras. That's after you allow for the general decline in road accidents, and for natural variation.

There are some longer of course, and some shorter - but let's assume the average individual journey length is 20 miles. At 50 mph that's 24 minutes, at 70mph it's just over 17 minutes. Excessive speed accounts for about 25% of all accidents - I would suggest losing 7 minutes on a typical journey is not worth the price.

I'm not some do-gooder evangelist and over the years I've been done for speeding 4 or 5 times (clean licence now). Yes they do raise money, yes sometimes the speed limit is too low - for example 70mph on an empty motorway in dry, good visibility daylight conditions is probably too slow - but equally 60mph on a country lane barely wide enough for two cars to pass (in some cases not) is way too fast. Let's have a review of speed limits, not discuss ways to circumvent them.

Just saying!

• Options
    Saw the old method in France years ago. Got the ticket at the toll booth, drove 100 miles or so and handed in ticket to pay when we changed roads. Another brit in the next booth pays and bell rings and local plod wander over. Tickets are timed on issue and when you pay they are timed again. Easy money. I always stop for a leak as soon as i go through the toll. Average speed then stays down. 
    And you arrive at precisely the same time. So why not just stick to the speed limit? 
    Sometimes the application of pure logic wins the day.