Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Doncaster v Charlton - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    So Roland was going to the match , but then what happened?
  • Options
    As far as I understand, it makes no difference if he attempts to head the ball or not. If he was stood in an off side position and it impeded Dillon then the flag goes up. Well played the lino. 
  • Options
    Purrington I like but he suffered against their right winger. In truth he was at fault for the goal. Pleased for Dillion, some excellent saves but kicking a weakness that needs working on. Ref was excellent and for me the best we have had in last couple of years.
  • Options
    Great trip up north. Deserved point. Could have won. Dillon immense at the end. Taylor a bit out of sorts in the last 20 mins - wondered if he was under the weather? Their goal was quality. Aribo was sensational/unplayable first 25, but then faded a bit. 
  • Options
    How long does Taylor have to survive before the booking limit increases?

Get the feeling that is affecting his game a little
    If he avoids a booking for the Pompey and Burton games, he will be fine
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I thought the sub immediately after we scored was a terrible call. Too negative. We play some good football when we have the ball but lose out on most 50/50s. Draw was a fair result but thankful that late goal was not allowed although not sure why!
    Can only presume Igor was struggling and it made sense to bring on fresh pair of legs?
    If Igor was then no problem bringing on a striker to replace him. Oh wait.....we didn't have one as the only other 2 we have BOTH played yesterday for the U23's. Numpty decision. 
  • Options
    Can we hold to the 5-point lead for the 6th spot with 11 left?
    Would be pretty poor if we can't make playoffs from this position.
    It's be like we've got a manager in his first full season, a load of players whose contracts are ending, we've sold one of our first choice strike team and our owner hates us.

So long as we avoid all that wellw be absolutely.... Oh fark.....
  • Options
    At the game.
    Just got home 
    Pissed as a pudding.

Philips was absolutely tremendous. 
    That's it 
    Night Night 
  • Options
    Was at the game. Excellent entertainment and as usual the Charlton fans were fantastic. I thought we dominated the first half and, as has been mentioned in other posts we played like the home team with Donny catching us on the break several times. Thought that Marquis and Wilks were dangerous although we seem to give the former too much space at times. Second half we seem to lose control of the game a bit and after Donny scored there was only one team in it. Thankfully we had Phillips in goal and a keen eyed linesman to help us out. Stand out performances for me were Aribo, Bielik, Sarr and of course Phillips.

Providing we can sort things out in the final third then we have a chance. Need Taylor and Igor to click into place for that to happen though.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Two subs changed the game. Fosu was much more direct and in general we actually started putting the ball into the box instead of just dribbling practice by the corner flag. Second subone we changed to a shape that has looked poor for us three times recently and allowed Donny straight back into.

Draw a fair result overall and probably better for us than them, but having gone ahead and been totally dominant for a couple of spells in the game, it’s hard not to feel disappointment that we didn’t get the win. 

A win today and again next week would have put us back in with an outside shout of the automatics. I think any flickering embers of that ambition have been fully extinguished now, even for an extreme optimist like me. 
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Stream

Decent game.

Negatives:
    Our build up play is quite slow, meaning Donny got plenty of players behind the ball, so when we finally shoot our shots are often blocked.
    Lots of faffing about on the wing before a cross comes in means we’re unlikely to get a head to the ball. 
    Aribo is great ghosting forward with the ball, but he adds nothing defensively. You couldn’t get away with that at a higher level. Needs to add some physicality to his game. 

On the plus side Fosu looks like becoming a threat again, and we at least created chances today. The save from Bielik’s volley was outstanding. 

I didn’t like how negative we looked after we scored though. 

But four points from the last two games is ok to be honest. 
  • Options
    We invited them to come at us after we scored.
    It's not as if we could not compete in midfield or that our defence is capable of shutting down the game, so why? 
    And the most frustrating thing about it is that with the substitution (Marshall for Igor I think)  it looked deliberate. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Parker looked excellent in the reserve game yesterday, as I've said...he surely has to be on the bench at least for the rest of the season!
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:
    Just on the train now coming home, not a bad performance but as others have said, lacks a cutting edge, Joe Aribo played well and Dillon was superb, kept us in it towards the end. Good day all in all with @Bedsaddick

Good noise for both the team on the field and the problems off it, Doncaster very quiet, on to Bristol Rovers next, play offs seem inevitable now

Up the Addicks....attached an actual view from today, reminded me of an 80s terrace classic from Northern away days
    Nice chippy just around the corner - well that was last year.This yr back to Railway tavern by station-Propper Boozer
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Parker looked excellent in the reserve game yesterday, as I've said...he surely has to be on the bench at least for the rest of the season!
    Which begs the question.....why ??
  • Options
    That was a good point but a game I believe we would have won with Grant. We do miss his pace and physicality. 

We opened the game really brightly without having a real killer instinct in front of goal. And it seemed as the game went on we were becoming more and more pedestrian. And then the goal came from where I thought we'd go on and. However, after the substitution, I think the players were still reorganizing (or lost concentration) because their player who brought it out of defence was allowed so much space through the middle. No one closed him down as we had been doing up to that point. We held the lead for 2 minutes. I can understand Bowyer being pissed off with that because we just switched off. After that I think we were rattled and it showed.

A special mention for Dillon. I think he had a superb game. Made a couple of cracking saves that kept us in it. Mind you, it shouldn't have even got that far as we could easily have been at least 2 up at the half.

So, all in all, a good point. We aren't scoring but we're also not conceding. I do think we'll make the playoffs and then we'll see from there. 

We had that game there for the taking and should have gone on to win it after we went in front. But, that's football for you. Portsmouth next week.  COYR!!     
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Which begs the question.....why ??
    The obvious answer is that Charlton probably travelled up to Doncaster on the Friday with Parker just about recovering

Having missed over a week of training though his fitness levels would have been effected so was given a run out in the U23s to aid his recovery... Regardless he's not been deliberately left at home by Bowyer until now so there will no doubt have been reasons
  • Options
    Good view of their goal at the death below

Part of me thinks we've gotten away with it, part of me thinks its the bloke sticking his leg out that makes him offside and disallows the goal

If that numpty doesnt do that then he's effectively not putting his foot into an offside position and cant be classed as interferring with play

• Options
    Still think we will make the playoffs,  but it won't be pretty. Grinding out 1-0s will have to be the way we do it 
  • Options
    I think we are a team that is best suited to an attacking mindset. We are not good at sitting back and allowing teams to come at us. When we have the ball, we are far and away the best team in this league although we tend to freeze a bit at the end of moves. When we don't have the ball, we probably only win 40% of second balls which sort of backs up why we need to impose ourselves on teams. 

I am happy for it to be an evolution as we get to the play offs but we need to get to those with Aribo, Fosu, Taylor and WIlliams starting and on good form. If we can do that, I think we have a pretty decent chance.
  • Options
    Got away with that late one. That potential 3-point swing with us and Donny could prove very impacting 
  • Options
    Their guy standing in front of the keeper was offside but we’ve all seen those given.