Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Doncaster v Charlton - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    Off_it said:
    Did Igor "kick on"?
    He did very little in the way of anything. The ball stuck to him like mercury. Worrying
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Did Igor "kick on"?
    Didnt get an opportunity... 

Comparing him with Grant I'd say he didnt have the pace to close down the opposition in the same manner and was probably just as weak in the air

There was one moment where he linked well with Taylor yet at the same time the partnership still needs work; When Lyle isnt out on the flanks or dropping deep there feels too much of a gap between them; the one other moment that Vetokele really had was when Taylor put in a low cross yet was behind Igor rather than in front of him where it should have been so wasnt really his fault

Naturally as a Striker most of your goals will come from the chances that others create for you; Williams | Cullen | Aribo aint creating much!!
  • Options
    I predicted that we would be out of the play offs by tonight so three points from our last two away games is tremendous. Still don’t think we playing well enough to threaten top two and today’s results elsewhere don’t help. But we remain in a position where a play off place is ours to throw away so we are a lot better off than I feared. Need to break our live tv hoodoo next week and our Pompey to the sword. Bowyer says we’re gonna thump someone soon so might as well be on telly. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Off_it said:
    Did Igor "kick on"?
    He did very little in the way of anything. The ball stuck to him like mercury. Worrying
    Wasn’t he sposed to be the Grant replacement?
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Off_it said:
    Did Igor "kick on"?
    Seem to remember Grant having the same issues at times with an even heavier touch
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Off_it said:
    Did Igor "kick on"?
    Wasn’t he sposed to be the Grant replacement?
    As in, Roland said to LB, you don’t need another striker you’ve got Igor already.
  • Options
    IR94 said:
    Hope Bielek injury aint to serious, his a big player for us
     He is but he too often goes for the hollywood pass. He gave the ball away so many times in that second half today! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How long does Taylor have to survive before the booking limit increases?

Get the feeling that is affecting his game a little
  • Options

I'll check but think he's ok now, as I thought it was 10 yellows before March 7th.
  • Options
    Could it be that we meet Sunderland in the play offs? But not confident should it goes to penalties. 
  • Options
    For all our pretty build up play we do not have a cutting edge. Williams and Aribo have some skill but too many Cryuff turns and flicks at times. Would like to see a driving midfielder getting forward quicker with purpose and have a few shots. When they equalized the body language worried me. Didn’t see anyone on the stream geeing up the players. Thought Purrington poor and he let Wilkes turn for the goal too easy. Sayin that we bossed the first half and should have been leading easily at half time. Automatic gone and Donny now breathing down our necks.
  • Options
    I'd say it was even until Doncaster's late surge and Phillips' two great saves. We had a great period of pressure before our goal but their keeper was far less busy overall. 

We huffed and puffed but we are lacking something to be a real top team, possibly Grant and a different dimension in the midfield. Williams has quality but he's a square peg in a round hole at the moment. 

Good turn out, shame about the few lame skirmishes walking back to the station. We have a lot more little oik fans compared to say 2012.
  • Options

I'll check but think he's ok now, as I thought it was 10 yellows before March 7th.
    If a player gets 10 yellows by match week 32 they will be handed a two match ban.
    So what week are we ?
  • Options
    Playoffs look a reasonable shout but we must start scoring goals. Good result at Doncaster. Taylor playing within himself to avoid another yellow before they get wiped out?
    You'd have to think Bowyer's told him to do this.  I'd say it's more important to have him around for all the games until the end of the two match ban period, even if he's less effective, than lose him for two.  The killer would be if he picked up a needless booking in the last minutes of the last game to earn the ban without scoring in the meantime.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2019
    There and enjoyed a decent game
    We don't score enough and part of the reason is we don't shoot enough .. decent performance if a bit schizophrenic .. we scored a fortunate goal (o.g.) after putting them under serious pressure and then just retreated .. f f s why ? .. 
    at the end three great saves from Phillips and a last second offside decision saved a point when we could and should have been out of sight. 
    The midfield today was very good but never looks collectively like scoring ..  Bielik (looks as though he could be injured again as he went down injured three times), Aribo, Williams and Cullen were full of energy .. Vetokele runs about a lot but doesn't really achieve much .. the full backs never got forward enough but defended well.. Taylor was excellent but has to make his own chances to a certain extent... Sarr and Bauer were solid ..  decent cameo from Fosu playing well forward down the middle for a change .. a good performance all round but that vital 'killer 'instinct' is just not there

Anyway a point earned against what is a decent team and we retain our play off spot .. but we need to keep at it as one loss and a Posh win or two could put us under serious pressure.

Just to emphasise the point about shooting .. here are today's shooting stats from the teams in the top six .. I know there was a discrepancy between the strength of the relevant opposition and home or away, but even so ..

Charlton 9..3 on target
    Barnsley 20..5 o t
    Luton 19..8 o t
    Sunderland 12..7 o t
    Portsmouth 17..8 o t
    Doncaster 12..3ot

• Options
    Fosu is better than Williams. I understand he blows hot and cold but at least he can contribute with goals and he drives forward with the ball everytime he gets it. We looked better once he came on today
  • Options
    We'll never make Wemberlee...

Portsmouth Charlton semis, draw at home, lose away and on to next season.

Happy new year.
  • Options
    Personally, I think we need to choose between Bielik and Cullen and play Fosu and Williams. Even though he was not fantastic, I think taking off Igor as soon as we scored sent out the wrong signal. But a point is a good result there.
  • Options
    Just got to win 10 of the last 11 and it will be automatics
    I don't even think that would be good enough. It'd give us 90 points. Luton and Barnsley only need 5 & 7 wins respectively from their last 11 to beat that.
  • Options
    We'll never make Wemberlee...

Portsmouth Charlton semis, draw at home, lose away and on to next season.

Happy new year.
    Last two visits to Pompey we have won, don’t write us off in the Play-Offs.
  • Options
    Play offs very achievable but think we'll fall short simply because we have no-one to put the ball away. Simples. Have to smile when I read LB's comments about us giving someone  hiding! We still have to play Pompey (scored 5 today) and Luton, who just score for fun.
  • Options
    Think its all been said already. Very fancy tippy tappy without the killer instinct in last third. Dillon pulled off some fantastic saves in the second half. I did think they seemed to have lots of space when they were pushing forward, felt like they had an extra midfielder. Vetokele was a slightly poorer version of Taylor. Not bad just didn't complement Taylor as Grant did. Great support. Great to be able to curse Roland and support the team.
  • Options
    I predicted that we would be out of the play offs by tonight so three points from our last two away games is tremendous. Still don’t think we playing well enough to threaten top two and today’s results elsewhere don’t help. But we remain in a position where a play off place is ours to throw away so we are a lot better off than I feared. Need to break our live tv hoodoo next week and our Pompey to the sword. Bowyer says we’re gonna thump someone soon so might as well be on telly. 
    Even better mate, we’ve got four points from last two aways. 
    Eek! I knew I shouldn’t start drinking too early on a Saturday! 😉
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Taylor doesn't look like scoring anytime soon, which is scary because neither does anyone else
    Might just be that he has lost his edge whilst trying to avoid the booking

Wait till we pass the 37 game mark and he isnt 1 booking away from a suspension and Lyle will be back
    And lost his and strike partner. Igor doesn’t threaten like Grant could.