Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Doncaster v Charlton | Sat 02 Mar | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Doncaster Rovers v Charlton Athletic
Saturday 2nd March 2019 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Bent Owner (Lancashire)

Introduction
Well who said being a Charlton supporter is boring? – Its been a week involving vandalism allegations and Simon Jordan coming out as a die hard Addicks fans, yet ultimately its been a chance for the Footballing community to see the trials and tribulations we’ve been forced to endure under our current ownership and so clarify the endless protests in recent seasons.

Back on the Football pitch though and we enter a period involving two crunch games… It’s a chance for Lee Bowyer and his boys to defy the early season predictions and all but secure a spot in the season ending Play-Offs; it begins this week with a trip to South Yorkshire and Doncaster Rovers for what will be the third clash between these sides this season!!

The Opposition
Name: Doncaster Rovers | Manager: Grant McCann
Ground: Keepmoat Stadium

League encounter at the Valley; 2-0 victory? – Check!!... Cup encounter at the Valley; 2-0 defeat? – Meh!!... Those are the blunt stats that involve these two sides gunning for promotion this season… the clash at the Valley would be a tight affair yet goals from Joe Aribo and Karlan Grant would ensure the all important points would remain in South East London yet it would be in the cup a few weeks later that controversy would strike amongst the Addicks fanbase.

Because for many a cup run is much desired… Losing to Doncaster in the 2nd Round was demeaning and although many of our reserves and U23s gave a good showing its clear that Doncaster for the time being have kept pace with the Play-Offs and also got to enjoy being defeated by Premier League side: Crystal Palace in recent weeks as their own cup campaign would get them to the fifth round.

With regards to the League; Doncaster will be heavily reliant on John Marquis and with 18-goals this season will be looking to cement his place as top scorer across the whole Division – Just two home defeats (both in October against Fleetwood and Sunderland) show that Donny’s season is built on a home fortress; Grant McCann himself is a respected Manager at this level, yet without a promotion to his name in three years, will inexperience begin to play his part

Charlton Team News
But from that there is one bonus that Lee Bowyer can take with him when he travels up to Yorkshire… and that is the fact that Doncaster have yet to score against his first-team this season, injuries still hamper the Addicks but not at the extreme like they did in November when Lee was forced to name an inexperienced team

Defensively: Naby Sarr is the first name on the team sheet at present whilst the returning Krystian Bielik will no doubt slot back into the base of the Midfield with Josh Cullen operating alongside him; Bowyer has already described this game as a six pointer so travelling away with two defensive midfielders is to be fully expected… In other squad news it seems as though a virus has spread through Sparrows Lane of late, whilst Josh Parker is expected to be absent once again with illness its also expected that a few more may well be forced to miss out.

Phillip
Solly | Bauer | Sarr | Purrington
Cullen | Bielik | Aribo
Williams
Vetokele | Taylor

Substitutes Bench: Maxwell | Dijksteel | Pearce | Lapslie | Marshall | Fosu | Reeves

Prediction
Goals have been an issue since the departure of our top scorer and Lee Bowyer will no doubt be still trying to find a resolution to that; clean-sheets avoid defeats yet goals will you games and its time for others to step up as we approach the business end of the season; Doncaster have just two defeats at the Keepmoat this season

Lets make it a third and put down a marker not just to those around us yet also to an owner who appears terrified of the financial graveyard that is promotion and the Championship!!

Comments

• Options
    Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • Options
    Great review!.. as always. Really tight one to call, would be happy to nick a point. 0-0. Hats off to our traveling support. Do us proud... as you always do!    COYRs!!
  • Options
    Is that really the referee's name...!!?
  • Options
    cafc-west said:
    Yeah Ben Toner...
  • Options
    0-5 win for the addicks

a brace a piece for Igor and Taylor before Sarrinho continues his fine form with a Tony Yeboah-esque screamer from 40 yards wrapping up a fine performance and victory for the addicks!
  • Options
    cafc-west said:
    Yeah Ben Toner...
    Ha ha.  The way you spelt it in the review thought it might be a reference to RD...!
  • Options
    Great review again FA.
    If we play like we have been playing recently  (1 win in 5 ) we will come away empty handed. 
    But with Igor now back in the side allowing us to play two up front I'm hoping we will get something from what is a massive game.
    As I'm going tomorrow I shall have my optomistic head on.
    2.1 Charlton to keep us on track.
  • Options
    cafc-west said:
    cafc-west said:
    Yeah Ben Toner...
    Ha ha.  The way you spelt it in the review thought it might be a reference to RD...!
    Two birds with one stone ;)
  • Options
    1-4 finally get a return on backing 4 goals or more
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This is a winning side:

Sarr
    Sarr | Sarr | Sarr | Sarr
    Sarr
    Sarr | Sarr | Sarr
    Sarr | Sarr

Charlton win 2-0, Sarr to get both.

:)
    Who would you have on the bench? - Or would we not need one with Sarr on the pitch?
  • Options
    This is a winning side:

Sarr
    Sarr
    Sarr | Sarr | Sarr
    Sarr | Sarr

Who would you have on the bench? - Or would we not need one with Sarr on the pitch?
    Good spot. If you're allowed one deliberate mistake very week in your preview I'm allowed one here :)

It'd be harsh on the lad, because I don't think he deserves to be on the pine, but I'd have Sarr on the bench.

Subs: Sarr, Sarr, Sarr, Sarr, Sarr, Sarr, Sarr
  • Options
    0-1 with a late goal from Lyle Taylor. 
  • Options
    1 - 0 to us. Beckensarr with another to cement his place as Player of the Season.
  • Options
    1-3, Veto, Tay and Williams.
  • Options
    Yep lets take this 2-1. Best form of protest would be to put the club back in the RD financial black hole. AKA The Championship
  • Options
    Parker playing for under 23 today, unless we have 2 Parkers. Fosu may not have recovered from sickness. Hoping for 1-2 win
  • Options
    Happily take a point. These guys are good on home turf. If they score first and we have to chase the game can see us getting beat. I'll take a gamble though, 2-1 Charlton.
  • Options
    I’d almost forgotten there was a match on. 
    1-1
  • Options
    Donny play 4-3-3.

I would play Dyksteel instead of Solly as he is more of a defensive midfielder so picking up the left sided player should be right up his street. He also has the pace to drive into the space behind. 

The diamond is perfect for over running their midfield three, especially as Taylor is so good at dropping in to the hole.

Sarr could be instrumental in the game as he has the ability to pass over the top of the press into the space behind and plays a good long ball.

It will be a physically demanding game and they played midweek. If it is 0-0 half time we will win.

Actually, I think we will win anyway as we are better than them all over the park.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't think Vetokele will start .. Bowyer has been quite cautious lately and against a  close rival, he'll pack midfield and rely on Taylor and the odd breakout .. Marshall in midfield adding defence capability  on the right is my bet
    Looking forward to this game and pleased that a large squad of Addicks will be trecking Norf to make some noise .. it'll be a tight game .. stop Marquis and we'll prosper

Doncaster Rovers 1 v CAFC 1
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    I’d almost forgotten there was a match on. 
    1-1
    As it's a Saturday I think you may have a good idea there's a match on.
  • Options
    Marquis and Wilks can cause us problems but Marquis has gone off the boil in their last few games.
    Herbie Kane stands out in their midfield and I like their two full backs Blair and Andrew.
    Despite all that, I was encouraged by that second half performance against AFC Wimbledon and I'm looking at our midfielders at long last to chip in. 
    2-3 win in a good game of football with Aribo, Williams and Vetokele on the scoresheet.
  • Options
    After hearing of a virus/sickness affecting a few players i think we will lose this game but hopefully beat pompey to make up for it. Would be happy with a draw and ecstatic with a win. 
  • Options
    This is a winning side:

Sarr
    Sarr
    Sarr | Sarr | Sarr
    Sarr | Sarr

I'd actually go:
    ...........Sarr
    Sarr Sarr Sarr Sarr
    ...........Sarr
    ......Sarr....Sarr
    Sarr .....Sarr.......Sarr

I really like Sarr out wide getting chalk on his boots and getting crosses in, or taking on his man and driving in to the box as we saw against Southend. Plus, you have Sarr sitting in front of the back four to really help ping it around and distribute, and two good ball playing center halves in Sarr and Sarr. And we all know we have an excellent target man and natural goal scorer in Sarr as the #9. 
  • Options
    Big tactical and selection decision willl involve Bielik and whether to include him after his suspension.I imagine that Bowyer will bring him back in to the starting 11 to make us defensively stronger, but the problem is taking chances.

With just over ten games to go we are still in a position to have a go at making the top 2, and winning at Doncaster would be a huge statement to the teams around us.

I think we will grind out a 1-0 win with Taylor getting back on the scoresheet.

• Options
    Worried about the virus. Hopefully it won't affect the side Bowyer would like to put out. I think they are there for the taking as long as we are not too badly affected. 
  • Options
    Will be in the home end tomorrow as visiting friends - will be interesting to get a different perspective - don’t think I’ve ever been in the oppositions end at a match before - the home match was one of the most comfortable victories we’ve had this season and our friends acknowledged our ground and team were a cut above - Vetokele coming good and continuing from his last minute goal last week is still the key to our season now in my opinion - COYR!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    There's a game tomorrow?

Igor is back, allo, allo

Addicks win