Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Protest against Roland at the Portsmouth match

Comments

• Options
    For my money, it will seem odd if we do nothing at all. Everyone is currently united in recognising that our owner is behaving erratically, and backing that up with a humorous, camera-friendly protest that doesn't disrupt the game is no more than people will expect. I like the idea of a big banner in the lower West saying something pithy, I also really like the idea of a Roland being chased around the stands by men in white coats -  anything that shows we know he's deluded and that his time is up. 

I thought that branding him a failure would be the best way to get at him, but now I think making him a figure of fun will hurt him more. He prides himself on his standing in his community so he will hate it if his local press and neighbours start talking about him being a figure of fun over here.
    Agreed. The “LIAR” on a bed sheet and the professional black and white banner received a huge amount of coverage. Something along the lines of this would be more powerful than any on the pitch disruptions.
  • Options
    Agree that any non verbal protest should be carried out in Belgium. As been said before the taxi was a success and caused a good publicity, how about upping the anti slightly and employing a London red double decker bus, imagine the signage you could get on that. Mind you I don’t know about the practicalities of getting it across channel, but you would also have transport for around 50 people to go out there. Would suggest some of his businesses would like to be visited by such a unique method of transport?
  • Options
    There's a poll on Facebook to protest or not.

Yes 238
    No    91

• Options

Think you will find London transport buses can be hired in Belgium or Holland.

One of my friends had a brother that hired his bus out based in Holland.

• Options
    Can here our supporters singing about Rolly on commentary.
  • Options
    Why not have a old chap running around the stands chased by 2 guys wearing white coats, doesn't stop the game but might draw a bit of attention, especially if accompanied by "Roland Out !"
    Where did you hear that idea :-) lol
  • Options
    Agree that any non verbal protest should be carried out in Belgium. As been said before the taxi was a success and caused a good publicity, how about upping the anti slightly and employing a London red double decker bus, imagine the signage you could get on that. Mind you I don’t know about the practicalities of getting it across channel, but you would also have transport for around 50 people to go out there. Would suggest some of his businesses would like to be visited by such a unique method of transport?
    Sounds like a remake of summer holiday..can we get cliff ,una Stubbs,Melvin Hayes and hank Marvin involved?
  • Options
    I don’t suppose someone could arrange for the Benny Hill tune to be played at half time?
  • Options
    Right, so final ideas - 

- No pitch invasion. It will get on Sky, but will disrupt the game and we not here to disrupt, we're also here to support.

- On that note, something that doesn't disrupt the game, but does get picked up on Sky. Something humourous, such as someone dressed up as Roland running around the stands and a banner in the West Lower

- Of course there will be chanting (Personal favourite is "we want EFL, I said we want EFL"). That way if it makes the Sky broadcast, it will force a discussion about Roland being a fucking idiot.

The banner is a great idea imo and it would be hilarious to see a Roland running around the stands on TV even if it doesn't get mentioned😂
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Perhaps that superb papier-mâché model of Roland could be bound up in a straight jacket, accompanied by its owner in a white coat and a suitable banner or two. A decent photo opportunity for the press (and the rest of us) pre-match outside the West Stand.
  • Options
    not been to a home game this season, but I hear all the anti-Roland songs have stopped for a while now. Is that the case ? 
    Protest songs sung loud and proud at Doncaster yesterday .

If we drop the c*nt one I don't see why sky wouldn't broadcast protest stuff.
  • Options
    No ideal having someone looking like Roland running around a stand without the men in white coats chasing him. 
    It’s not guaranteed the cameras will pick up on it though. 
  • Options
    not been to a home game this season, but I hear all the anti-Roland songs have stopped for a while now. Is that the case ? 
    Protest songs sung loud and proud at Doncaster yesterday .

If we drop the c*nt one I don't see why sky wouldn't broadcast protest stuff.
    But that's my favourite one.
    Only joking. 
    And yes sky probably would focus on the protest stuff especially if we kept on singing them.
  • Options
    It's a fact that supporters on the pitch and the perimeters is a kick in the bollocks to our players.

Someone in a Roland mask and straight jacket being chased by people in white coats is making me laugh just thinking about it. Couldn't this replace the HT crossbar challenge for one game ?
    BBC (Big Brian Cole) could join in the chase with the medical team on standby.

Sky would love to film this nonsense, and Roland Duchatelet would continue to be humiliated.  
  • Options
    Working in the disability and mental health sector,personally I'm really uncomfortable with any white coat or straight jacket costumes being used in the name of humour. 
  • Options
    I think it needs a plague of RDs and men in white coats. It will be easy for the stewards to stop this in its tracks if there is just one.

I remember at a Test match I attended in Brisbane that a load of The Barmy Army wore Richie Benaud masks and wigs and it got huge coverage. I think it needs several RDs and white coats to appear around the ground for maximum effect. Additionally, everyone in the crowd will notice a plague of RDs.
  • Options
    I think it needs a plague of RDs and men in white coats. It will be easy for the stewards to stop this in its tracks if there is just one.

I remember at a Test match I attended in Brisbane that a load of The Barmy Army wore Richie Benaud masks and wigs and it got huge coverage. I think it needs several RDs and white coats to appear around the ground for maximum effect. Additionally, everyone in the crowd will notice a plague of RDs.
    It’s just a shame no none’s ever made an RD mask. Have they?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Shrew said:
    Working in the disability and mental health sector,personally I'm really uncomfortable with any white coat or straight jacket costumes being used in the name of humour. 
    I disagree with you, for most of us its when we lose our Sense of humour that mental health issues kick in. 
    Having also been around disturbed people, (not just at the valley !) the importance of not taking yourself so serious is not emphasised enough by some mental health professionals.  A Wellbeing program worked for me as it  shifted the black cloud by replacing it with a lighter version. I found ways to deal with stresses and understand it all part of our own soap opera with shades of light and dark.

I understand the point your making but we're getting to the stage when only Politicians can be mocked. 

Ps. Mental health issues through class A drugs are self inflicted in most cases.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Shrew said:
    Was hoping the Benny Hill thing might make it ‘lighthearted’, but I do see your point. 
  • Options
    All the above is good knockabout stuff and might give us a laugh but I would question the effectiveness of it. Running around the stands would almost certainly be interrupted by the stewards and Sky would have an option of how much, or indeed, how little they would show. More effective, in my opinion, would be dozens of banners all around the ground near pitch level insinuating that Roland is dribbling and senile. The Sky cameras could not help but pick them  out merely by filming the game. More prosaic than a Benny Hill stunt but probably more effective.

Having said that I still believe that Belgium is the best place for protests. Being confronted in his own backyard seems to bring his insanity to the fore.
  • Options
    How about some banners in Flemish? - that would make the Belgian press. 
  • Options
    Calling people senile as an insult might not be a good idea. Dementia or Alzheimer’s not to be joked about. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Calling people senile as an insult might not be a good idea. Dementia or Alzheimer’s not to be joked about. 
    I do understand where you are coming from on this but virtually   any short statement of complaint against Roland will contain something that someone somewhere will find offensive. Something like “ Time to go “ or “ Sell up now”  is so anodyne as to be pointless. 

Given Roland’s mad ramblings this week, I think that many people could believe that the 72 year old is indeed in the grip of mental degeneration.

• Options
    Mametz said:
    JamesSeed said:
    I do understand where you are coming from on this but virtually   any short statement of complaint against Roland will contain something that someone somewhere will find offensive. Something like “ Time to go “ or “ Sell up now”  is so anodyne as to be pointless. 

Given Roland’s mad ramblings this week, I think that many people could believe that the 72 year old is indeed in the grip of mental degeneration.

I think he’s showing bad judgement and character flaws, rather than mental degeneration. 
  • Options
    In the bonkers Olympics, Roland wins the Gold.
  • Options
    The way to annoy Roland is to oblige him to spend a fortune on security.
    The Boy Who Cried Wolf is a good story in this regard.