Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post match views; AFC Wimbledon v Charlton

Comments

• Options
    At last! A win at the Kingsmeadow for me. My 6th visit including two friendlies. Such a tedious journey across town and a ramshackle of a ground. 
    Buoyed by the delirious scenes at the end. Onto the next leg of the tour - The Keepmoat Stadium. COME ON!!!
  • Options
    Ref - Jobsworth
    Lino - Even worse, how did he not see that handball late in the game. I was much further away than him.

• Options
    Went to bed at half time - in Kuala Lumpur, not lazy! - so a pleasant surprise to wake up to that. Massive win, we needed to stop the rot before it became a serious issue.

7 ahead of Posh now, they look like the team which will miss out on the playoffs
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Weird day. Turned up at two without a ticket as my womble friend reliably informed me that they sell returns from a little window, on the day. Today, being an all ticket sell out, they couldn't unfortunately. Couldn't find any touts, but at the last minute asked someone who'd picked up comps how you get tickets. Turned out he had a spare. 
    Had to stand with the Wimbledon fans, just behind their dugout, near some morons who I suppose were trying to wind our fans up.

Pretty poor first half really, no one played all that well, but Cullen in particular kept giving the ball away.  The only player their fans were worried about was Marshall, who actually looked quite dangerous at times. Blazed a shot over when he should have hit the target though. Taylor missed an open goal after their keeper parried a shot. He hit the ball into the ground and it bounced over the crossbar. (He also headed over from close in during the second half).

Wimbledon probably deserved their half time lead though.

Second half we battled our way back into it, particularly once Bowyer was sent off. I think it fired us up a bit. Taylor was holding the ball up better, and the midfield started winning their individual battles, and actually created some chances.

When we won the free kick just outside their box (the first foul given in favour of Taylor?) I remembered what I posted after the Blackpool game (and also once last season) 'Why doesn’t Naby take free kicks outside the area? He’s by far our best striker of the ball.' Obviously they must scan CL for little tips like this (lol) and when I saw Naby lining up to take it I just felt he'd score. I was right in line, and they put the wall in the wrong place for a left footer. He probably couldn't believe his luck. Beautiful strike though. And I loved his run over to Jackson.  Bowyer said after the game that Naby's taking all of the free kicks now. To be honest I can see him being a real threat because he's so accurate, and can also blast them.

We held our own after that goal, with the defense snuffing out the threat posed by their two big lads up front.
    Aribo was sublime. He so rarely loses the ball, even when outnumbered. Williams's runs were opening the game up, and we started finding space out wide. Wimbledon tied up quite badly, and it was good to see us finishing so strongly. Totally deserved the winner, which I saw from the far corner of the ground. I couldn't bear the idea that they might sneak a winner while I was surrounded by their fans, so saw the game out in the company of one of their stewards, a young black lad, who kept telling me that Charlton were by far the better team and would get a last minute winner. Two minutes later when we did I shook his hand and said thanks.
    Walked to my car after the game with a group of 'fellow' Wimbledon fans. Loved hearing their moans, and enjoyed saying that 'Charlton have a much better team than ours, that Aribo lad is brilliant, and I wish we had Taylor back' etc. Made my day.

Let's hope we can get on a roll now.
    I sat in the Wimbledon main stand and had to listen to how rubbish Taylor was and what a bunch of dirty diving cheats we were! Taylor played no differently for us this year as he did for them last year! Funny that people can’t see that and are bitter that he joined us. We controlled the last 60 minutes. I do think our players go down to easily but so do players from every team. Unfortunately it’s midern day football 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Any details on what Bowyer did to get sent off?
    He was interviewed on BBC London and said the first yellow was for complaining, as the ref apparently told Solly, 'yes, you were fouled', but he didn't give it.
    He said the the second yellow was for saying 'well done'.
    Well, that obviously deserves sending off then. Ref was a complete numpty all game......about the only free kick he gave us was the one we scored from. I hope Naby tells Reeves that's how you take them. 

As for the match itself. As PP's have said.....poor 1st half & we only sparked into life once we scored no idea what Bowyer was thinking of with that line-up......playing the worst team in the league & we go 1 up top ?? I realise LB doesn't have many options, esp with Parker missing  But dear God start with your best 11 & go from there. Vetokele needs to partner Taylor in a front 2 with Lapslie dropping to the bench & Fosu in for Marshall. 

Can't say too much else about the game.....awful terracing means you don't get too see much of the opposite goal.....especially when the sun is in your eyes or glinting off the dug outs. Also a clock telling the paying supporters how long is left would be good......just hope that is the last time we have to go to that poxy ground.

Only thing that matters is that we got 3 points, which was 2 more than Donny & Pompey and 3 more than Peterborough. Next 2 are mustn't lose games.....then we are into the final stretch.   
    Agree on Lapslie - he was a spectator for most of the first half and the number of times the centre backs were begging for him to come to the ball and he didn’t was frightening.
    Felt for Marshall as he had a very good game, imho.
    The problem with Marshall when he’s through on goal is that he needs to calm down and not try to score a Hollywood goal by breaking the roof of the net.
    Naby Sarr is proving to be even more a player than I always thought he was and he and Bauer make a scary central defence.
    Interesting how AFC were much more dangerous when they kept the ball on the floor but I guess they burnt themselves out - especially after their amazing result on Tuesday - and when we pushed forward and went three up, they resorted to long ball and when a team does that, you know they are panicking and you’ve got them.
    Shocking first half - our midfield might as well have not been on the pitch they were that absent but agree with James Seed that Bowyer’s red card shocked both the team and the fans into life.
    I also doubt the ref would have given the free kick for Naby’s goal had he not just sent off Bowyer - I watched his body language and he was very close to not giving it.
    Fantastic ending and worth the near four hour drive from Ipswich to Balham to pick up junior before we had to jump in an Uber to avoid missing kick off.
    South London traffic, especially Lewisham is just insane and the A205 closed is a joke.

• Options
    Ref - Jobsworth
    Lino - Even worse, how did he not see that handball late in the game. I was much further away than him.

Junior and I came to the conclusion that the defender slipped and therefore the Lino deemed the handball as accidental.
    For me it was hand to ball and intentional - yes, he slipped but he deliberately handled the ball thereafter to gain advantage 
  • Options
    Blucher said:

A pretty dismal first half in which Wimbledon dominated us, with relatively effortless defence and several incisive attacks, many of which were led by Scot Wagstaff, who  (without looking to damn the guy with faint praise) looked a yard faster than any of our players. Joe Pigott also played very well, together with his strike partner, and Patrick Bauer had a relatively torrid first first half.

In fairness, the same went for the rest of the team. Cullen was, uncharacteristically, caught in possession a couple of times in dangerous areas and Joe Aribo failed to impose himself on the game. Mark Marshall looked lively but, as has so often been the case, his final ball was poor.

Up top, Taylor barely touched the ball, save for missing what looked like an open(ish) goal following a burst through from Lapslie, although as I could only see about 70% of the pitch and I was up the other end, I may be talking out of my arse. What I can say with some conviction is that an out of position Jonny Williams barely touched the ball in the first half.

Overall, we were toothless offensively, vulnerable at the back, completely out-muscled by a physical, but fair, Wimbledon team and tactically outwitted.

This did little to suppress the downbeat mood on the away terrace, enhanced by a skip full of compost which had been placed just behind the away terrace - presumably courtesy of one of Wimbledon’s sponsors, ‘Reston Waste’. Great to see that the spirit of Harry Bassett’s Crazy Gang lives on. I looked over the wall to see it had a covering of grass cuttings but there can be no doubt from the smell what dwelt beneath.

In fact, a steaming pile of manure was a pretty apt metaphor for our first  half performance.

The second half was a different story and The Nabster’s free kick completely changed the dynamic. We put some real heat on the opposition for the next 15 minutes or so, following which the game evened up a bit and became a little more end-to-end. Towards the end, however, we started to turn the screw, with Fosu having an excellent effort just tipped around the post, Aribo stepping up to the plate and Williams putting over one tremendous cross which caused havoc in the Wimbledon box. In the end, Igor managed to get the ball in the onion bag and joy in the smelly, shallow-terraced away paddock was unconfined. 

The performance over the 90 minutes did little to dispel anxieties about our lack of firepower but a 7 point gap (and a better goal difference) over the 7th placed team is not to be sneezed at with only 12 games to go.

On to Donny.

Agree in the main but at least Cullen had the ball in the first half - Lapslie and Aribo were non existent.
    Looking forward to Bielik’s return as a midfield with Bielik at holding and Aribo, Cullen and Williams should be a formidable set up.
    We must not underestimate the chemistry of the relationship between Lyle and KAG and that is the potential stumbling block to us reaching the Promised Land.
    This win was crucial as we might just get back on track now.
  • Options
    @ValleyGary message me pls mate
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    ... the air was filled with a foul putrid shitty smell.

I used to go to school in Kingston and some days the whole town was covered with a foul smell from the tannery, but I imagined that closed down decades ago? The land near the river would have been too valuable to use for a tannery.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cabbles said:
    cabbles said:
    I thought we looked more dangerous when Lapslie came off. Williams and Aribo took up the slack and Fosu gave us more offensive bite.
    I’m thinking that the likes of Fosu and Vetokele may be better suited coming off the bench moving forward.  Vetokele because I don’t think he adds enough over 90 mins, and Fosu because of his pace when the game is stretched 
    So we start off toothless and change to a team that genuinely threatens the opposition's goal in the second half?
    That’s quite a jump based on what I said.  With regards to those two individuals I was saying that it may be they’re more effective from the bench, as opposed to starting.  Fosu has been very poor this season, and I don’t think Bowyer fancies him, but it may be that from the bench he has more of an impact.  Vetokele im just not sure about given all the injuries he’s had and given we only got one half a season out of him when he looked really good, do we know if he is good enough?  

My friend who is a dons fan said we passed the ball well today and he felt that Wimbledon tired a lot toward the end because of it.  It may be that our game suits their presence from the bench 
    No disrespect intended, and you are right - they would be effective off the bench. The issue is we don't have enough threat playing one up front and a load of missers - so circumstances require them to start.
  • Options
    For those wondering about the smell, the Hogsmill sewage treatment works is a mere spitting distance behind the far end goal. 
  • Options
    purdis said:
    Blucher said:

A pretty dismal first half in which Wimbledon dominated us, with relatively effortless defence and several incisive attacks, many of which were led by Scot Wagstaff, who  (without looking to damn the guy with faint praise) looked a yard faster than any of our players. Joe Pigott also played very well, together with his strike partner, and Patrick Bauer had a relatively torrid first first half.

In fairness, the same went for the rest of the team. Cullen was, uncharacteristically, caught in possession a couple of times in dangerous areas and Joe Aribo failed to impose himself on the game. Mark Marshall looked lively but, as has so often been the case, his final ball was poor.

Up top, Taylor barely touched the ball, save for missing what looked like an open(ish) goal following a burst through from Lapslie, although as I could only see about 70% of the pitch and I was up the other end, I may be talking out of my arse. What I can say with some conviction is that an out of position Jonny Williams barely touched the ball in the first half.

Overall, we were toothless offensively, vulnerable at the back, completely out-muscled by a physical, but fair, Wimbledon team and tactically outwitted.

This did little to suppress the downbeat mood on the away terrace, enhanced by a skip full of compost which had been placed just behind the away terrace - presumably courtesy of one of Wimbledon’s sponsors, ‘Reston Waste’. Great to see that the spirit of Harry Bassett’s Crazy Gang lives on. I looked over the wall to see it had a covering of grass cuttings but there can be no doubt from the smell what dwelt beneath.

In fact, a steaming pile of manure was a pretty apt metaphor for our first  half performance.

The second half was a different story and The Nabster’s free kick completely changed the dynamic. We put some real heat on the opposition for the next 15 minutes or so, following which the game evened up a bit and became a little more end-to-end. Towards the end, however, we started to turn the screw, with Fosu having an excellent effort just tipped around the post, Aribo stepping up to the plate and Williams putting over one tremendous cross which caused havoc in the Wimbledon box. In the end, Igor managed to get the ball in the onion bag and joy in the smelly, shallow-terraced away paddock was unconfined. 

The performance over the 90 minutes did little to dispel anxieties about our lack of firepower but a 7 point gap (and a better goal difference) over the 7th placed team is not to be sneezed at with only 12 games to go.

On to Donny.

Agree in the main but at least Cullen had the ball in the first half - Lapslie and Aribo were non existent.
    Looking forward to Bielik’s return as a midfield with Bielik at holding and Aribo, Cullen and Williams should be a formidable set up.
    We must not underestimate the chemistry of the relationship between Lyle and KAG and that is the potential stumbling block to us reaching the Promised Land.
    The issue with that midfield is Aribo is the only one likely to score. Unless Igor can replace Grant’s goals we need more goalscoring midfielders in the team.
  • Options
    purdis said:
    Blucher said:

On to Donny.

Which is why I thought Huddersfield should have bought the two of them at the start of the transfer window.
  • Options
    purdis said:
    Blucher said:

On to Donny.

Which is why I thought Huddersfield should have bought the two of them at the start of the transfer window.
    You are not welcome on CL, Roland.
  • Options
    I’m just posting this to clear a draft...
  • Options
    Did Igor’s goal go directly in from his header or did it come off a defenders leg or something? 

Watching on TV there’s something about it that doesn’t seem to travel right imo
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2019
    I will start by saying I think Bowyer has done an excellent job in difficult circumstances, but I am baffled we have taken this long to give the best striker of the ball a free kick. Especially given the crap free kicks we have had to put up with up to now. I am equally baffled why a player like Fosu has not been played into form, when he gives us something we desperately need given that goals from open play have been hard to come by. Only a couple of points, he seems to have got there with Sarr, hopefully Fosu will be next.

If we are going to give ourselves a good chance of going up, we need an in form Fosu.
  • Options
    The pile of horse shit next to the away end sums the dump up, actually cannot stand Wimbledon fans the poor me act has gone on for too long, the abuse taylor got was ridiculous, the Karl Robinson carry on before, the constant singing of mocking us and Crystal Palace - hope they rot in league 2 
  • Options
    Basically it’s all down to you that we won @soapboxsam :-)
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    purdis said:
    Blucher said:

On to Donny.

The issue with that midfield is Aribo is the only one likely to score. Unless Igor can replace Grant’s goals we need more goalscoring midfielders in the team.
    The options up front with Lyle would be Igor, Fosu or Marshall?
    Reeves and Lapslie not gonna produce goals from midfield.

That is why breaking up the Lyle KAG partnership was so bad for us.

Lyle seems lost without KAG and to play him as a sole target man, as with Magennis, is not going to work - somebody or somebodies are going to have to step up.

Maybe even try Naby up front with Lyle and bring Pearce back, as some have suggested and use wing backs more to whip the ball into the big man.
  • Options
    purdis said:
    Blucher said:

On to Donny.

You are not welcome on CL, Roland.
    From their point of view, not ours, obviously. 
  • Options
    Great win for Charlton yesterday.
    Probably not the thread to post this comment.
    Had a freebie to see Norwich play Bristol City at Carrow road.
    Watched Jay daSilver play for Bristol, he looked fairly average and was subbed after 70 mins and replaced by Kasey Palmer, another ex Charlton.
    Palmer looked aggressive in midfield and after a one reckless tackle which looked bad but he survived a booking or worse, he committed another foul and was booked.
    Good game though.  
  • Options
    Just watched the highlights, love the way Nabby ran straight over to jacko with the biggest smile you will ever seen. it's as if jacko has been teaching Nabby how to take a free kicks all week as his wise words has just paid off. 
    Possibly, but I think it’s more likely that JJ either agreed he could take them when Naby asked, or suggested he took them. It’s the Reeves and Cullens who need the coaching, not Naby ;-)