Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Flat Earth or Not?

Comments

• The sun doesn't set twice. 
    We are not on tattoine
    The sun is setting somewhere in the world every minute of every day. 

If the sun only set once ever or even once everywhere once a day then we would not exist.

Interesting my son told me a couple of days ago that the reason that people on the bottom of the earth (he said Australia) is due to gravity. He was a bit confused when I said that  while he was right that gravity was the force that kept everything within its reach close to the centre, Australia was just as much at the top as the UK. 

You’re wrong dad, Australia is always on the bottom of the globe. Yes, because the globe was drawn by people who lived in the top bit. 

Oh. 
  • Can anyone tell me what their answer is to the following, and I know obviously this doesn't mean you believe it, I am just wondering what their explanation is:

1) the fact that if you went continuously East/West/North/South you would end back at your original location. 

2) All of the pictures of the Earth taken from space

Just interested, although like many things where we get so worked up about people having opinions different to our own, it doesn't really matter.
  • Huskaris said:
    Can anyone tell me what their answer is to the following, and I know obviously this doesn't mean you believe it, I am just wondering what their explanation is:

1) the fact that if you went continuously East/West/North/South you would end back at your original location. 

Just interested, although like many things where we get so worked up about people having opinions different to our own, it doesn't really matter.
    People are entitled to their own opinions. They're not entitled to their own facts. 

I don't disagree with what you have said at all, but what I'm saying is "who cares?" It's like arguing that Little Mix are better than David Bowie, they're wrong, but you can't argue with stupid. 

On another note, I need a chat with you about cycling. Will PM you. 
  • The earth is round? Next you'll be telling me that men actually did land on the moon and that it wasn't all filmed in a studio in Hollywood.
  • So is the moon flat too? I’m confused...

• The sun doesn't set twice. 
    We are not on tattoine
    The sun is setting somewhere in the world every minute of every day. 

If the sun only set once ever or even once everywhere once a day then we would not exist.

Interesting my son told me a couple of days ago that the reason that people on the bottom of the earth (he said Australia) is due to gravity. He was a bit confused when I said that  while he was right that gravity was the force that kept everything within its reach close to the centre, Australia was just as much at the top as the UK. 

You’re wrong dad, Australia is always on the bottom of the globe. Yes, because the globe was drawn by people who lived in the top bit. 

Oh. 
    Technically, the sun doesn't set, the earth rotates but you're right, the sun is always setting somewhere.
  • Sponsored links:

• Slow handclap for HI
  • #spaceisfake
  • Huskaris said:
    Can anyone tell me what their answer is to the following, and I know obviously this doesn't mean you believe it, I am just wondering what their explanation is:

1) They say that the people taking you are all part of the conspiracy, and that they actually fly or sail you round in a circle.

2) They are fake. 

Forget reason when dealing with these people.  
  • Huskaris said:

1) They say that the people taking you are all part of the conspiracy, and that they actually fly or sail you round in a circle.

2) They are fake. 

Forget reason when dealing with these people.  
    Wow, shows you can get people to believe anything I guess. 
  • I've met some genuine flat earthers. They were also "government has chipped us" "gravity was invented by NASA to prevent us all learning to fly" and "money is a scam" lunatics.

To a certain extent I agree with the principle of don't believe everything you are told. I Will always try and understand the alternative opinion and see where they are coming from before I dismiss it as bullshit (something people debating brexit could do with following). I just wish these people would apply their own mantra to crap they read on the internet or some lunatics Facebook page.

I used to follow a few flat earthers on Twitter as it gave me a lot of laughs. One of them took a camera to the edge of what can only be described as a small pond and said look the water is flat not curved as though that was proof. He also took a spirit level (an instrument that works by gravity - a concept he believed to be a scam) on an aeroplane and somehow used that to prove the earth is flat. 

Other than the obvious why question. The other question for them is - how many people would have to be involved in the secret for this to be kept as a lie? Every government in every country over the last 100 years? All the hundreds of people who have been to space and done space research? All the pilots and tv presenters who have gone in planes to the edge of the atmosphere and can see the curvature of the earth. Are they all on on it. Or being paid to be quiet. Like really?
  • bobmunro said:
    I've met some genuine flat earthers. They were also "government has chipped us" "gravity was invented by NASA to prevent us all learning to fly" and "money is a scam" lunatics.

To a certain extent I agree with the principle of don't believe everything you are told. I Will always try and understand the alternative opinion and see where they are coming from before I dismiss it as bullshit (something people debating brexit could do with following). I just wish these people would apply their own mantra to crap they read on the internet or some lunatics Facebook page.

I used to follow a few flat earthers on Twitter as it gave me a lot of laughs. One of them took a camera to the edge of what can only be described as a small pond and said look the water is flat not curved as though that was proof. He also took a spirit level (an instrument that works by gravity - a concept he believed to be a scam) on an aeroplane and somehow used that to prove the earth is flat. 

Other than the obvious why question. The other question for them is - how many people would have to be involved in the secret for this to be kept as a lie? Every government in every country over the last 100 years? All the hundreds of people who have been to space and done space research? All the pilots and tv presenters who have gone in planes to the edge of the atmosphere and can see the curvature of the earth. Are they all on on it. Or being paid to be quiet. Like really?
    Seriously, are there really people who genuinely believe that the earth is flat? If so, I would hazard a guess that their opinion is in some way drug induced!

Anyway, if there are any flat-earthers then they are welcome to trudge up Church Lane after seeing Charlton lose to where I usually park my car. Flat earth, my arse! Although it does appear flat if we win!
    Maybe flatter!
  • My other half works at the royal observatory as an astronomer and had a teacher come up to her after her planetarium show asking about flat earth due to a Netflix show she watched. Safe to say, my other half told her enough reasons why it was all bollocks. 
  • Surely some of these are hardcore Terry Pratchett Discworld fans who have got a bit confused between fantasy and reality.
  • Sponsored links:

• I've met some genuine flat earthers. They were also "government has chipped us" "gravity was invented by NASA to prevent us all learning to fly" and "money is a scam" lunatics.

Yes - same as those that build, load, set up and switch on the chem trail machines in aeroplanes... All in on it...  
  • Fumbluff said:
    So is the moon flat too? I’m confused...
    No, but it’s made of cheese.
  • It is a good thing not to believe everything you are told, but if you are not open to compelling evidence, even the evidence of your own eyes or experiences, it is something different. When a leap of faith is required, one that refutes what you observe, then it is more like a religion. Belonging to groups like this fulfils a need some people have.

Of course the problem with this theory is that you don't have to go into space or high altitude to prove the world is round. You don't need to believe the video evidence. You can prove it in a number of ways. A simple way would be getting trusted friends in other countries to ring you when the sun sets. The time difference would prove the world is not flat. You don't need to do this, it is enough that is simple enough for anybody to do. It is not supressable. So anybody who deludes themselves is denying truth, which is completely different to testing everything.

But I'm sure their main reason is for the attention and to feel important. :)
  • edited February 2019
    It’s just attention seeking, pure and simple. 

[Edit: Oh, as he just said lol]
  • Huskaris said:

The most common questions are answered here:

https://wiki.tfes.org/Flat_Earth_-_Frequently_Asked_Questions

https://theflatearthsociety.org/home/index.php/about-the-society/faq
  • Fumbluff said:
    So is the moon flat too? I’m confused...
    No, I think they're generally accepting that the moon and the planets are spherical, "because we can see them".

So, just us flying around on a disc then.
  • My favourite thing about Flat Earthers is the notion that Antarctica is actually a huge ice wall around the edge of the disc shaped planet, and the sun being a small spotlight that can only illuminate up to a third of the planet at any one time. 

Absolute lunacy
  • sam3110 said:
    My favourite thing about Flat Earthers is the notion that Antarctica is actually a huge ice wall around the edge of the disc shaped planet, and the sun being a small spotlight that can only illuminate up to a third of the planet at any one time. 

Absolute lunacy
    Ah you’ve got me there, that sounds cool, I’m in....

Although what happens if I manage to climb over the wall? 🤪