Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

AFC Wimbledon v Charlton | Sat 23 Feb | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

AFC Wimbledon v Charlton Athletic
Saturday 23rd February 2019 ... 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Christopher Kavanagh (Lancashire)

Introduction
After two weeks at the Valley its time for the Addicks to return to the road as they search for those elusive three points that have been denied to us in recent games - Draws against Southend and Blackpool have enabled those below us to make up ground so its imperative that we return to winning ways and fast if we want to prolong our season into the depths of May... This Saturday its a short trip across South London for a derby of sorts; AFC Wimbledon await!!

The Opposition
Name: AFC Wimbledon | Manager: Wally Downes
Ground: Kingsmeadow

Out of the first twenty three games played I doubt there will be many who argue that the Wombles have been the worst of those that we've faced - Up against the ten men of the Addicks for the best part of half an hour, it would be Charlton who would always look the better side and despite the winning goals coming in the last thirty minutes (when the playing field was once again levelled) it was only ever a matter of time when those goals would come!!

Since that day and you have to question why and how AFC Wimbledon are down where they are... Everyone knows that they've one of the smallest budgets in League One yet as Accrington Stanley have proven at times; Budgets dont count for everything.

Their performances in the FA Cup (despite limping past Harrigny Borough in the 1st Round) have impressed people up and down the country and were unlucky to lose another South London Derby on the weekend, bowing out just before the Quarter-Final stages... Yet there are signs that they could make the great escape; ex-Academy graduate: Joe Pigott scoring a 95th minute hat-trick in midweek against Rochdale would see Wimbledon recording back to back wins for the second time this season, they've not won three on the trot so lets oblige them with that honour!!

Charlton Team News
Last Saturday saw the welcome return of Joe Aribo to the team and so confirmed that the physios room has reduced to just three players... In his weekly press conference Lee Bowyer confirmed that there was no timescale on the return of Lewis Page (which is sad to hear) whilst Jake Forster-Caskey could make an appearance before the end of the season which would be an extremely impressive feat for a player ruled out for the campaign before a ball was even kicked.

In regards to the rest of the squad; depending on your views there was the surprising / unsurprising absence of Tariqe Fosu in the team last week - You'd hope that his exclusion is the kick the player needs to discover some kind of form when we need him most... Lyle Taylor will no doubt lead the attack yet will be treading egg shells as one more yellow will see him missing the next two games which will be crucial to our Play-Off hopes... we'll have to wait and see if its Josh Parker or Igor Vetokele who partners him.

Phillips
Solly | Bauer | Sarr | Purrington
Williams | Cullen | Aribo
Fosu
Taylor | Vetokele

Substitutes Bench: Maxwell | Dijksteel | Pratley | Lapslie | Marshall | Reeves | Parker

Prediction
As already mentioned, there are two cases to argue that a win is must needed regardless of who we face tomorrow - Firstly Doncaster are breathing down our neck and with two games in hand we cannot give them a helping hand in closing that gap; secondly we face both Doncaster and Portsmouth next two games so we're at a stage of the season that could make or break our season

Thankfully we travel to a ground where we have yet to win in either a League or Cup encounter!!

Comments

• Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • AFCW...1  CAFC...0
  • Never have a good feeling against this lot. They play the type of football that we struggle with and their pitch is crap.

I'm expecting to barely see a 1-0 loss from the worst away end in the league.
  • AFC Wimbledon v Charlton Athletic

Introduction
    After two weeks at the Valley its time for the Addicks to return to the road as they search for those elusive three points that have been denied to us in recent games - Draws against Southend and Blackpool have enabled those below us to make up ground so its imperative that we return to winning ways and fast if we want to prolong our season into the depths of May... This Saturday its a short trip across South London for a derby of sorts; AFC Wimbledon await!!

The Opposition

Out of the first twenty three games played I doubt there will be many who argue that the Wombles have been the worst of those that we've faced - Up against the ten men of the Addicks for the best part of half an hour, it would be Charlton who would always look the better side and despite the winning goals coming in the last thirty minutes (when the playing field was once again levelled) it was only ever a matter of time when those goals would come!!

Since that day and you have to question why and how AFC Wimbledon are down where they are... Everyone knows that they've one of the smallest budgets in League One yet as Accrington Stanley have proven at times; Budgets dont count for everything.

Their performances in the FA Cup (despite limping past Harrigny Borough in the 1st Round) have impressed people up and down the country and were unlucky to lose another South London Derby on the weekend, bowing out just before the Quarter-Final stages... Yet there are signs that they could make the great escape; ex-Academy graduate: Joe Pigott scoring a 95th minute hat-trick in midweek against Rochdale would see Wimbledon recording back to back wins for the second time this season, they've not won three on the trot so lets oblige them with that honour!!

Charlton Team News
    Last Saturday saw the welcome return of Joe Aribo to the team and so confirmed that the physios room has reduced to just three players... In his weekly press conference Lee Bowyer confirmed that there was no timescale on the return of Lewis Page (which is sad to hear) whilst Jake Forster-Caskey could make an appearance before the end of the season which would be an extremely impressive feat for a player ruled out for the campaign before a ball was even kicked.

In regards to the rest of the squad; depending on your views there was the surprising / unsurprising absence of Tariqe Fosu in the team last week - You'd hope that his exclusion is the kick the player needs to discover some kind of form when we need him most... Lyle Taylor will no doubt lead the attack yet will be treading egg shells as one more yellow will see him missing the next two games which will be crucial to our Play-Off hopes... we'll have to wait and see if its Josh Parker or Igor Vetokele who partners him.

Phillips
    Fosu
    Taylor | Vetokele

Substitutes Bench: Maxwell | Dijksteel | Pratley | Lapslie | Marshall | Reeves | Parker

Prediction
    As already mentioned, there are two cases to argue that a win is must needed regardless of who we face tomorrow - Firstly Doncaster are breathing down our neck and with two games in hand we cannot give them a helping hand in closing that gap; secondly we face both Doncaster and Portsmouth next two games so we're at a stage of the season that could make or break our season

Thankfully we travel to a ground where we have yet to win in either a League or Cup encounter!!
    EFL site still saying tomorrow's ref to be conformed. Is there another site it's available on as you know it's Chris Kavanagh?

Introduction

The Opposition

Charlton Team News

Phillips
    Fosu
    Taylor | Vetokele

Prediction

EFL site still saying tomorrow's ref to be conformed. Is there another site it's available on as you know it's Chris Kavanagh?
    Rate the Ref is the website I use now

Was on the recommendation of another poster on here as for a few weeks now the EFL has been slow to confirm ours
  • I think we’ll lose and it will be the moment we realise we’re not going to make the play offs . 

2-0 Wombles 
  • 1-0 to  the addicks
  • God knows, we really need  win but the midfield needs to click.

0-2 Charlton as they are supposedly cack, hopefully i dont have to eat my words. 
  • Wimbledon are the worst team I've seen this season - they were woeful at the Valley. However, I can't see where our goals are coming from and the longer that continues the more I can see Wimbledon getting a goal like Southend's the other week.our players need to find form or we've got a dog of a year to look forward to next season
  • Sponsored links:

• Odds are Lyle will get another booking. The Wimbledon players know what hes like so they will target him. 
  • God knows, we really need  win but the midfield needs to click.

0-2 Charlton as they are supposedly cack, hopefully i dont have to eat my words. 

They were arguably the worst team I have seen at The Valley so far. Don't know about 'clicking' it's just that our midfield don't appear to have goal in them. Can see us having most of the possession but failing to score, whereas they will probably nick a goal second half and put 10 men behind the ball. Oh yes, and Taylor will get booked!
  • edited February 2019
    The goals have dried up and we don’t let many in. 0-0.
  • addick05 said:
    God knows, we really need  win but the midfield needs to click.

They were arguably the worst team I have seen at The Valley so far. Don't know about 'clicking' it's just that our midfield don't appear to have goal in them. Can see us having most of the possession but failing to score, whereas they will probably nick a goal second half and put 10 men behind the ball. Oh yes, and Taylor will get booked!
    From the performance on Saturday we didn't gel in the midfield, thats what i mean individually we look great on paper in the middle. 
  • 0-5 

Charlton straight out of the blocks with an early double from our midfield and then build on that in the second half with a Taylor hat trick and a booking and thus a two game ban
    Bit early to be pissed mate  😁

Introduction

The Opposition

Charlton Team News

Phillips
    Fosu
    Taylor | Vetokele

Prediction

Rate the Ref is the website I use now

Was on the recommendation of another poster on here as for a few weeks now the EFL has been slow to confirm ours
    Rate the ref is always very reliable. They release the appointments on Monday without fail. Another Premier league referee again then!! 
  • As we cannot score at the moment, the best I can hope for is a 0-1 win
  • 0-5 

Charlton straight out of the blocks with an early double from our midfield and then build on that in the second half with a Taylor hat trick and a booking and thus a two game ban
    Bit early to be pissed mate  😁
    Never too early 
  • don't know what to think about this one .. we can't score and yet are not conceding .. looks as though another 0-0 is the one to go for even though the talent in our squad and our form over the season indicates that we should win .. but 'should' never ever won a point or three

Afc Wimbledon 0 v CAFC 0 .. bore draw but am hoping for a MUCH needed win 
  • Sponsored links:

• Wally confirmed that Deji Oshilaja (foot) and Kwesi Appiah (hamstring) are still out, though James Hanson is progressing well after returning to full training last week. Dylan Connolly is doubtful with an ankle injury and Rod McDonald and Jake Jervis have been struggling through illness.

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/975059869?-11197:833
  • We snatch a late win , 1-0 to us. Sarr from a corner. If we fail in this one, the season is fast going to unravel.
  • I think we will play three at the back tomorrow as that worked well with 10 men in the home game.  0-2 my prediction, Williams and Vetokele

Phillips
    Dijksteel | Bauer | Sarr 
    Solly | Williams | Cullen | Aribo | Purrington
    Taylor | Vetokele

Substitutes Bench: Maxwell | Pratley | Lapslie | Marshall | Reeves | Parker | Fosu

• I think we will play three at the back tomorrow as that worked well with 10 men in the home game.  0-2 my prediction, Williams and Vetokele

Phillips
    Dijksteel | Bauer | Sarr 
    Solly | Williams | Cullen | Aribo | Purrington
    Taylor | Vetokele

Substitutes Bench: Maxwell | Pratley | Lapslie | Marshall | Reeves | Parker | Fosu

Not sure we can play solly and Purrington as wingbacks, neither like to get forward.
  • AFC 0-3  Charlton

Our season is on track. 
    Great to have Aribo back. 
    Addicks win three to zero. 
    Lyle Taylor is the hatrick hero. 
    Come on mate, it's not difficult. 
  • 0-1 to Charlton.
  • Time to turn it on, 2-3.
  • Waggy or Piggy will probably score.