Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Joe Pigott nets three

See Joe Pigott scored a hat trick for the Wombles last night.

Comments

• edited February 2019
    another one we sold before giving him a proper crack at proving himself .. one bad performance against Millwall and both the management and the 'fans' on here wrote him off .. real shame

also, Hanlan scored last night (19/2/19) for Gillingham
  • Macronate said:

Pleased for him.

Pity the team he faces this weekend.

I'm sure the team they face will capitulate nicely.
  • Always had the potential but was thrown in the deep end, shame we didn't keep hold of him to see how it would have turned out ala KG. Knows where the net is
  • Think stepping back into Non-League was the right thing for him to be honest, personally like Karlan was a fan of his yet he had a couple of loans that didnt seem to work out too well for him

Going down to Maidstone seems to have been his wake up call
  • He's 25, unlike Grant I think he needed to move away permanently to get regular football. He's had a good few years playing between the fifth and third tier and in his best spells he's scored around 1 in 3.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Pigott

I agree he shouldn't have been thrown in so early against Millwall though.
  • Scoham said:
    He's 25, unlike Grant I think he needed to move away permanently to get regular football. He's had a good few years playing between the fifth and third tier and in his best spells he's scored around 1 in 3.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Pigott

I agree he shouldn't have been thrown in so early against Millwall though.
    Tbf none of our players perform against Millwall.
  • Sponsored links:

• Joe always looked a willing trier and a player who likely performed better with the ball at his feat, but due to his size we stuck him up front against Millwall and launched pointless balls at him and he got written off.  

Good luck to the lad, hope he continues to improve and has a decent career.  Can’t believe he is 25 already.

Just be sure you are poor this weekend though please Joe.
  • another one we sold before giving him a proper crack at proving himself .. one bad performance against Millwall and both the management and the 'fans' on here wrote him off .. real shame

Disagree. He played quite a few games for us, and never delivered. We were a mid level Championship club at the time, not bottom of League 1 like AFC Wimbledon. 
  • cafctom said:
    another one we sold before giving him a proper crack at proving himself .. one bad performance against Millwall and both the management and the 'fans' on here wrote him off .. real shame

Disagree. He played quite a few games for us, and never delivered. We were a mid level Championship club at the time, not bottom of League 1 like AFC Wimbledon. 
    Twelve games in total... 11 came in the season that he had the Millwall meltdown

As the stats show most of his appearances were from the bench; we saw what happened with Grant when he went from being used sparingly to an actual starter

https://www.transfermarkt.com/joe-pigott/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/251831/plus/0?saison=2013&verein=&liga=&wettbewerb=&pos=&trainer_id=
  • cafctom said:

as @for@ForeverAddickted typed, 12 appearances, no goals for us .. I'd hardly call that 'not delivering' in a side that was struggling .. for the wombles ? .. 45 appearances, 13 goals .. in another struggling team .. most on here would give if not their right arm, a finger or two ((:>) for a striker with a (albeit not particularly spectacular but OKish) recent record like that ..  Pigott is delivering in this 3rd strata .. we need players who can deliver in THIS division .. let's worry about signing Championship quality when we actually get to the Championship .. 
  • We  couldn't afford him now.
  • edited February 2019
    cafctom said:

as @for@ForeverAddickted typed, 12 appearances, no goals for us .. I'd hardly call that 'not delivering' in a side that was struggling .. for the wombles ? .. 45 appearances, 13 goals .. in another struggling team .. most on here would give if not their right arm, a finger or two ((:>) for a striker with a (albeit not particularly spectacular but OKish) recent record like that ..  Pigott is delivering in this 3rd strata .. we need players who can deliver in THIS division .. let's worry about signing Championship quality when we actually get to the Championship .. 
    Well that’s my point - we were in the Championship when we had him, and he wasn’t having any kind of impact at that level. What were we supposed to do?

So before this week he has scored 10 in 44 games for AFC Wimbledon in League One. Are you sure we would all be over the moon at that? He’s not the sort of player that helps teams get promoted from this division.
  • edited February 2019
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:

Well that’s my point - we were in the Championship when we had him, and he wasn’t having any kind of impact at that level. What were we supposed to do?

So before this week he has scored 10 in 44 games for AFC Wimbledon in League One. Are you sure we would all be over the moon at that? He’s not the sort of player that helps teams get promoted from this division.
    To make a valid judgement we'd need to do three things:

(1) Are AFC Wimbledon actually creating many chances

(2a) If yes then Id agree that Joe is to blame for not scoring more

(2b) If no then whats his positioning like, i.e. Is he getting into good situations and not being passed the ball or is he just being lazy; I'd presume that if it is the latter then he wouldnt be playing

Of course there is nothing to say that Bowyer is looking to sign him but its called scouting, its why you do proper research into a player before you sign a player rather than going by their Spreadsheet stats, its why Roland and Tommy's project failed so badly

i.e. Else you could question why we've signed Ben Purrington as he would have been part of a Defence that was shipping goals and part of the reason they're at the bottom
  • cafctom said:
    cafctom said:

But Wimbledon are rock bottom of the league so not a bad return really. 
    He would probably scored more than that playing for a side pushing for promotion. 
  • edited February 2019
    Take away their respective penalties and how many has Joe scored this season v Taylor at the Dons last season would be interesting to compare.

Although sadly Joe did not have Taylor’s speed and movement.
  • Take over their respective penalties and how many has Joe scored this season v Taylor at the Dons last season would be interesting to compare.

Nailed it. Also, for a big lad there was a lack of physical presence about him. Think he's found his level (Div. 2 next season probably) although I bet he scores against us on Saturday!
  • Sponsored links:

• I’m not suggesting he is a bad player, but he is not Charlton level. He goes and scores a hat trick and people start saying “we should have given him more of a chance”. Every striker should score at least one hat trick in their career! 

I saw saw him in every home game he played for us, and not once did he impress me. Yes he can probably poach the odd goal - but again, so should any striker. 
  • addick05 said:
    Take over their respective penalties and how many has Joe scored this season v Taylor at the Dons last season would be interesting to compare.

Nailed it. Also, for a big lad there was a lack of physical presence about him. Think he's found his level (Div. 2 next season probably) although I bet he scores against us on Saturday!
    If you think he is big you should see his brother Sam.he is 6foot 8.
    He is best friends with my brother in law so I see him quite a lot.
    Nice to see Joe having some success at last he has worked hard for it.
  • addick05 said:
    Take over their respective penalties and how many has Joe scored this season v Taylor at the Dons last season would be interesting to compare.

To be fair most young players lack physical presence, which is why "big lumps" up front often tend to be older players
  • another one we sold before giving him a proper crack at proving himself .. one bad performance against Millwall and both the management and the 'fans' on here wrote him off .. real shame

The stars of League 1 tomorrow, today!
  • Nice guy and was in the academy and all that, but one of the worst strikers i've seen at The Valley in recent memory.