Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Pubs For Wimbledon

I'm told there's no away pub near the ground... Where is everyone boozing prematch? 

Comments

• last year ( midweek ) we went to clapham junction, their is nothing near the ground, we are thinking of going to wimbledon this time around anyone been?, also heard shouts of kingston. 

worst case will meet at waterloo and drink around there before getting on train. 
  • I am heading for Waterloo, there are a number of pubs in New Maldon High St (20 minute walk to the ground) but hardly any in and around Norbiton which is the closest station to the ground. 
  • If you like your real ale, I'd recommend The Albion in Kingston about a 15 min walk to the ground. 
  • edited February 2019
    Spoons near Kingston station or Mill ot the Ram on the river in Kingston or any other boozer s probably your best for an away day for AFCW tbf.

Though maybe the Spoons might have bloomin bouncers and the Mill might get packed for the rugby after the game.
  • Should be illegal to have a professional football stadium that far from a pub (one of the many issues with Wimbledon being allowed to play at that ground).
  • last year ( midweek ) we went to clapham junction, their is nothing near the ground, we are thinking of going to wimbledon this time around anyone been?, also heard shouts of kingston. 

worst case will meet at waterloo and drink around there before getting on train. 
    New Malden and Kingston would be my choices. Wimbledon is a bit out of the way.
  • edited February 2019
    Kingston is most definitely the best option. Plenty of pubs within walking distance of the train station. Directly opposite is a Cornerstone which shows the football.  The Spoons opposite Oceania nightclub will probably be most popular. There are a couple of pubs which show Sky and Bt Sport on the high street, best bet would be the one next to the Metro-bank. 

There are plenty of nice pubs on the river Thames (10 minute walk from the station), which have nice beer gardens, but I reckon these will be heaving with the nice weather expected on Saturday.

Other options are New Malden with the glass house, Bar Malden or The Watchmen which is 15 mins walk to the ground. 

• At home where i can see the game.... The only time i have been.  Hole in the wall and then train to norbiton. 
  • edited February 2019
    Loads of pubs in Wimbledon, then 9 mins on the train to Norbiton.
    No idea why anyone would want to go elsewhere.
  • Loads of pubs in Wimbledon, then 9 mins on the train to Norbiton.
    No idea why anyone would want to go elsewhere.
    sold 

will head here 
  • Sponsored links:

• There are 3 pubs within walking distance of Norbiton station 
  • edited February 2019
    I would advise going Kingston. There are pubs within a minutes walk from the station (Weatherspoons/Hungry Horse). Also, Fairfield Bus Station is right next to the train station where you can catch a 131 bus which stops right outside the ground. The bus journey only takes 5 minutes max. If you don't fancy taking the bus then it's only a 20-25 minute walk.
  • About 8 years ago, there was a tittie bar near the ground. 
    It's closed now. The White Horse at Wycombe is still open (when we play Wycombe).
  • I would give New Malden a miss. Hole. 
  • Try woodys new Malden. Sports ground  thetford road. 
  • se9addick said:
    Should be illegal to have a professional football stadium that far from a pub (one of the many issues with Wimbledon being allowed to play at that ground).
    It won’t be much better when they go back to plough Lane. Fans will have to drink In Wimbledon, Earlsfield or Tooting
  • se9addick said:
    Should be illegal to have a professional football stadium that far from a pub (one of the many issues with Wimbledon being allowed to play at that ground).
    It won’t be much better when they go back to plough Lane. Fans will have to drink In Wimbledon, Earlsfield or Tooting
    There are at least two pubs right on top of the new plough site. The corner pin and the leather bottle. Then with the option of several pubs in South Wimbledon and Wimbledon. Very different 
  • About 8 years ago, there was a tittie bar near the ground. 
    Very off putting at 13.00 on a Saturday afternoon.
  • the kilkenny tavern opposite south wimbledon station is probably one of the biggest shitholes i have ever been in was some bloke that supported palace but apparently liked charlton
  • Sponsored links:

• the kilkenny tavern opposite south wimbledon station is probably one of the biggest shitholes i have ever been in was some bloke that supported palace but apparently liked charlton
    sounds like you meet @LouisMend
  • markmc68 said:
    Try woodys new Malden. Sports ground  thetford road. 
    Personally, I wouldn't recommend this if you are using public transport. It's a slog to get to and out of the way. However, if you are driving then its not too bad a place to visit as there's plenty of free parking. Also, if checking out training grounds is your thing then you should visit as it's located right next to Wimbledon's training ground. I also believe Surrey Cricket train there as well, but that may be only their youth teams.
  • I remember our first ever game at Plough Lane against the original Dons. A whole bunch of us used a pub on the corner of the ground, I think it was called The Sportsman. We got there as it opened and by midday the pub was so full of Charlton fans, the Wimbledon fans had to use the pub up the road. 

• As others have posted above, The Albion at Kingston is an excellent real ale pub, as is Woodies at New Malden - both about a 20 walk to the ground.
  • The spoons in New Malden is a decent enough pub.
    That's where my lot are heading 
  • The Mill was a nice pub on the river where I had a nice meal. Though that don't open till midday and after the game it has live rugby and shortly before our game finishes at AFCW the Wales v England 6 nations kicks off. So that pub might be packed.
    @clb74 serves a cheap round.
    He ain't going this time. 
    I shall put it in his tab.
    He ain't going this time. 
    I shall put it in his tab.
    Be seeing you both at Doncaster