Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Romesh Ranganathan (ed. general comedy debate)

124»

Comments

• DA9 said:
    I put him in the category of “comedians” that I don’t find funny because of their limited material, although I liked his sitcom The Reluctant Landlord, I love Ricky Gervais’ tv stuff but don’t like his stand up stuff.

Alan Carr - I’m gay don’t you know
    Jo Brand - I’m a woman, I’m fat and have periods, all men are bastards
    Sarah Millican - I’m fat and like cake
    Paul Chowdry - I’m Asian
    Patrick Kielty - I’m Irish 
    Gina Yashere - I’m black
    Reginald D Hunter - I’m black

Interesting choices.

Do you dislike any British white straight male comedians?

Just in the name of balance, like?
    Not sure I want to get involved in this, but Jack Whitehall's act is a bit "ooh look how middle-class I am" - if you were looking for one.
  • Didn't have much of an opinion on him, other than the usual apathy towards panel show appearances and overly-scripted comedy shows... but saw Romesh headline a pretty small weeknight gig at Top Secret Comedy Club a few months ago where he was trying out some new material (had his notepad etc. on him) and it was really, really funny - like he was the standout act and a lot of the material was quite dark.

Obviously the atmosphere of the place and the fact that he was last up (audience on the beers etc.) all contributed to it... but just wanted to pop up and say I like him and think he's pretty funny.
  • forgive me if i'm just not getting it BUT, doesn't making the joke that he'd rather be a P**i than a spurs fan completely nullify his criticism of Millwall?
  • forgive me if i'm just not getting it BUT, doesn't making the joke that he'd rather be a P**i than a spurs fan completely nullify his criticism of Millwall?
    It does but I didn't want to say it.
    Surprised Chizz didn't notice, because he's usually all over racism in a split second.
    He must have missed that one.
  • DA9 said:
    I put him in the category of “comedians” that I don’t find funny because of their limited material, although I liked his sitcom The Reluctant Landlord, I love Ricky Gervais’ tv stuff but don’t like his stand up stuff.

Paul Chowdry - I’m Asian
    Gina Yashere - I’m black

Interesting choices.

Not sure I want to get involved in this, but Jack Whitehall's act is a bit "ooh look how middle-class I am" - if you were looking for one.
    Jack Whitehall's act, aims higher than middle class.
  • Chizz said:
    forgive me if i'm just not getting it BUT, doesn't making the joke that he'd rather be a P**i than a spurs fan completely nullify his criticism of Millwall?
    It does but I didn't want to say it.
    Surprised Chizz didn't notice, because he's usually all over racism in a split second.
    He must have missed that one.
    You make it sound like being "all over racism in a split second" is a bad thing..?
    Definitely not. It's just the selective racism that is nauseating.
  • I saw Romesh a couple of years ago, thought he was very funny. There wasn't much racial content TBF....he pointed out that as he is Brown with a wonky eye he ticks two boxes, then he was saying that if they deport his mum maybe the BNP would get his vote. I wasn't taking notes mind, just laughing like a hyena at most of it.

• DA9 said:

Paul Chowdry - I’m Asian
    Gina Yashere - I’m black

Interesting choices.

I know it wasn't aimed at me but I could give you a very long list due to the abundance of generic, unfunny comics out there. Here are four that come close to the top of my list. All far less funny than Romesh:

Josh Widdicombe
    Russell Howard
    Frank Skinner
    Noel Fielding

I am aware that I am now assuming their sexualities, whiteness and country of allegiance :wink:
    I know it’s all about opinions but I’ve seen Frank Skinner live as well as lots of other “top” comics and he is amongst the very best.
    You're right, it's absolutely about opinions.

Some of my favourites are either dead or have taken a back seat in recent times.

Richard Pryor, Dave Allen, Patrice O'Neal and Bob Monkhouse are the obvious ones.

A special mention goes to Dave Chappelle. Can't wait for him to fully get back on the circuit.

Of those still performing I think you're hard pushed to find better than Bill Burr, Jim Jeffries, Corey Holcomb and Tom Segura. They won't be everyone's cup of tea, though.

The great man is back and doing what he does best. If you haven't already, I thoroughly recommend watching 'Sticks and Stones'.

The usual media outlets reviewed it through the most progressive of eyes and even stopped the public from initially rating it so that they could try and drive their knives in and control the narrative. All hand picked reviewers gave it a zero rating and tried their best to slate it. As soon as it was opened to the public the ratings, rightly, went through the roof.

A must watch for all of those that appreciate unrestricted comedians.

• Sponsored links:

• edited September 2019
    We all have a different sense of humour and some will find people funny others won't. With some comedy, you have to sort of climb a wall to appreciate it - get your brain in a certain state. I doubt any comics we know of are rubbish as they will all have people who like them. The one comic I can't abide is Sarah Millican, only because her voice irritates me. Its a bit like a baby crying for me. I can't really listen to what she is saying to be fair.
  • I was never really a fan of Paul Chowdhry but found his 'Live Innit' set very funny.

Of course comedy is subjective. However, I believe some comedians transcend subjectiveness and are just plain funny with a touch of genius thrown in.

• There is brilliant comedy writing, crafted, worded and delivered on stage more or less word for word without too much spontaneity or ad libs. It’s generally quite easy to spot. Then there is the other type of comic and I’ll cite Lee Mack here. Probably not the most cutting edge comedy material but a genuinely sharp and electric quick wit and genuinely funny. 
  • I believe some comedians transcend subjectiveness and are just plain funny with a touch of genius thrown in.

Aah, Eric Morecambe. RIP
  • Comedy is a gift of life, and is very often subversive on a mild to shocking range.
  • edited September 2019
    There is brilliant comedy writing, crafted, worded and delivered on stage more or less word for word without too much spontaneity or ad libs. It’s generally quite easy to spot. Then there is the other type of comic and I’ll cite Lee Mack here. Probably not the most cutting edge comedy material but a genuinely sharp and electric quick wit and genuinely funny. 
    Having seen Lee Mack doing would I lie to you live three times, I can testify he is amazingly sharp. Sometimes, jaw droppingly so. 
  • edited September 2019
    I got sent a clip of an American comedian the other day..... Lisa Lampanelli. I'm not sure if she's still about - but she definitely falls into the 'shock comedian' category. Everything (normally race related from what I could see) and everyone was fair game in her set.
  • edited September 2019
    DA9 said:

Paul Chowdry - I’m Asian
    Gina Yashere - I’m black

Interesting choices.

I know it wasn't aimed at me but I could give you a very long list due to the abundance of generic, unfunny comics out there. Here are four that come close to the top of my list. All far less funny than Romesh:

Josh Widdicombe
    Russell Howard
    Frank Skinner
    Noel Fielding

I am aware that I am now assuming their sexualities, whiteness and country of allegiance :wink:
    I know it’s all about opinions but I’ve seen Frank Skinner live as well as lots of other “top” comics and he is amongst the very best.
    You're right, it's absolutely about opinions.

Some of my favourites are either dead or have taken a back seat in recent times.

Richard Pryor, Dave Allen, Patrice O'Neal and Bob Monkhouse are the obvious ones.

A special mention goes to Dave Chappelle. Can't wait for him to fully get back on the circuit.

Of those still performing I think you're hard pushed to find better than Bill Burr, Jim Jeffries, Corey Holcomb and Tom Segura. They won't be everyone's cup of tea, though.

The great man is back and doing what he does best. If you haven't already, I thoroughly recommend watching 'Sticks and Stones'.

The usual media outlets reviewed it through the most progressive of eyes and even stopped the public from initially rating it so that they could try and drive their knives in and control the narrative. All hand picked reviewers gave it a zero rating and tried their best to slate it. As soon as it was opened to the public the ratings, rightly, went through the roof.

A must watch for all of those that appreciate unrestricted comedians.

Chapelle's great. His 'So I kicked her in the pussy' set is my favourite stand up show in a long time. So much better than the anodyne, punch up bullshit that keeps getting churned out by comedians from this country just so they get a gig on a lame panel show. 
  • I got sent a clip of an American comedian the other day..... Lisa Lampanelli. I'm not sure if she's about - but she definitely falls into the 'shock comedian' category. Everything (normally race related from what I could see) and everyone was fair game in her set.

If it's the 6 minute clip I'm thinking of then it's certainly of a different era.

• I got sent a clip of an American comedian the other day..... Lisa Lampanelli. I'm not sure if she's about - but she definitely falls into the 'shock comedian' category. Everything (normally race related from what I could see) and everyone was fair game in her set.

If it's the 6 minute clip I'm thinking of then it's certainly of a different era.

Yeah - the clip I saw was definitely a few years old.....but still in the 2000’s I’d say. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I got sent a clip of an American comedian the other day..... Lisa Lampanelli. I'm not sure if she's still about - but she definitely falls into the 'shock comedian' category. Everything (normally race related from what I could see) and everyone was fair game in her set.
    Wiki:

"Lampanelli is a supporter of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender community.[29] When members of the Westboro Baptist Church planned to protest against a show she held on May 20, 2011 in Topeka, Kansas, she promised to donate $1000 to Gay Men's Health Crisis (the same charity she contributed to during The Celebrity Apprentice) for every protester that attended. After an initial count of 44 protesters she rounded the donation to an even $50,000, crediting the donation as being "made possible by the WBC.""

Hahaha brilliant

Yeah - the clip I saw was definitely a few years old.....but still in the 2000’s I’d say. 

You're right, it's from her 2005 'Take It Like a Man' show.

• funny but not as funny as Jim Davidson
  • You're either funny or you're not. Virtually everything is in the delivery. You can have the funniest joke in the world but if you haven't got the delivery, voice, facial expression then its not even funny. Your audience have got to want to laugh with you.

I love all forms of comedy other than shock stuff. If you are good enough to make people laugh then you don't need to be dabbling with disability, rape, offensive stuff. you're chasing cheap laughs from a cheap audience. Puts me right off.

• edited September 2019

You're either funny or you're not. Virtually everything is in the delivery. You can have the funniest joke in the world but if you haven't got the delivery, voice, facial expression then its not even funny. Your audience have got to want to laugh with you.

I love all forms of comedy other than shock stuff. If you are good enough to make people laugh then you don't need to be dabbling with disability, rape, offensive stuff. you're chasing cheap laughs from a cheap audience. Puts me right off.

My mum was a big Bob Hope (the comedic actor not the puffin stuff) fan. Once for her birthday, long ago,  I took her to see him at the Palladium. He was announced, walked onto the stage with THAT walk and THAT look on his face. The audience was laughing and applauding before he uttered a word. Comic genius
  • You're either funny or you're not. Virtually everything is in the delivery. You can have the funniest joke in the world but if you haven't got the delivery, voice, facial expression then its not even funny. Your audience have got to want to laugh with you.

It's all in the .........