Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Romesh Ranganathan (ed. general comedy debate)

Comments

• Options
    If it if it was not for racism he wouldn't have an act. It seems to be the only thing he goes on about. 
    Seems like we’re in the minority.

He has three angles... the stereotypical pushy Asian mum, a lazy eye and self deprecation.

His shows are directed to within an inch of their life and completely dull.
    If you dislike the guy that much, why are you wasting your own time watching his shows? 
  • Options
    If it if it was not for racism he wouldn't have an act. It seems to be the only thing he goes on about. 

He has three angles... the stereotypical pushy Asian mum, a lazy eye and self deprecation.

But you still watch them 
    I watch a League of their Own. My wife watches Just Another Immigrant whilst I stick hot pins in my eyes.
  • Options
    vff said:
    I thought Romesh made an astute observation. Millwall a club that is not racist but one where racism amongst the supporters is tolerated.
    Is that particularly astute? I’d say it’s fairly obvious that people working for and within the club are not actually racist because they must need at least a few brain cells to do the jobs they do.
  • Options

But you still watch them 
    I watch a League of their Own. My wife watches Just Another Immigrant whilst I stick hot pins in my eyes.

And he manages to speak about things that mean stuff to him and about him, whereas you just use those things to judge him, his mum, his disability and his race, you sir sound like you must have loads going for you to judge a lesser person........but then some people (yep you) are just knobs and wouldnt dare say anything like this to his face.
    LOL. Where to start with this.

1. I haven’t judged him. I’ve judged his comedy and the material he uses. To me It’s not funny. I don’t know him or what’s important to him. I couldn’t care less about his race, mum or eye. Which is probably why I don’t find him funny.

2. If in some bizarre parallel universe he said ‘hey, Rob, do you like my comedy?’ I would absolutely tell him I don’t. I’m sure he’s had harsher critics than me and I doubt he’d care.

3. You’re getting upset about me judging someone as a person, yet you’ve called me a knob based on my opinion. Is that not judging someone? Or are you deliberately being hypocritical?

I’ll leave it there. You already embarrassed yourself without me adding to it.
    I imagine you probably *could* care less about his "race, mum or eye".  
  • Options
    Chizz said:

But you still watch them 

And he manages to speak about things that mean stuff to him and about him, whereas you just use those things to judge him, his mum, his disability and his race, you sir sound like you must have loads going for you to judge a lesser person........but then some people (yep you) are just knobs and wouldnt dare say anything like this to his face.

1. I haven’t judged him. I’ve judged his comedy and the material he uses. To me It’s not funny. I don’t know him or what’s important to him. I couldn’t care less about his race, mum or eye. Which is probably why I don’t find him funny.

2. If in some bizarre parallel universe he said ‘hey, Rob, do you like my comedy?’ I would absolutely tell him I don’t. I’m sure he’s had harsher critics than me and I doubt he’d care.

3. You’re getting upset about me judging someone as a person, yet you’ve called me a knob based on my opinion. Is that not judging someone? Or are you deliberately being hypocritical?

In the sense that I’ve allowed myself to get dragged into an argument about it on a Saturday evening, you’re absolutely right.

In any other sense - you’re absolutely wrong.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

But you still watch them 

In the sense that I’ve allowed myself to get dragged into an argument about it on a Saturday evening, you’re absolutely right.

In the sense that you're literally the only person to bring up his "race, mum or eye" anywhere on this thread, or anywhere else, I'd say that any suggestion that you couldn't care less about these things is absolutely wrong.  Whatever day of the week it is. 
    I brought it up in the context of his own comedic material and not finding it funny. Not once have I used those things to judge him personally  or any one else as an individual.

In fact you’re the only person that I can see trying to turn this in to a personal context so perhaps you need to have a look at whether you *could* care less.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

But you still watch them 

In the sense that you're literally the only person to bring up his "race, mum or eye" anywhere on this thread, or anywhere else, I'd say that any suggestion that you couldn't care less about these things is absolutely wrong.  Whatever day of the week it is. 
    I brought it up in the context of his own comedic material and not finding it funny. Not once have I used those things to judge him personally  or any one else as an individual.

In fact you’re the only person that I can see trying to turn this in to a personal context so perhaps you need to have a look at whether you *could* care less.
    I could.  And I suspect, deep down, you know you could too. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

But you still watch them 

I could.  And I suspect, deep down, you know you could too. 
    A response like that confirms everything I need to know. I’ve out Chizzed, Chizz.
  • Options
    Has anyone put this on the grass thread yet?
  • Options

...and there it is hahahahahahah
  • Options

To hold my hands up, the post I originally quoted and full reply was meant in the context of his (in my view) limited comedic material.

Looking back, I can see why the original quote and response has been taken the wrong way and I apologise for that.

i won’t apologise for defending myself against personal insults and baseless insinuations, however. 

Never in in a million years thought that not finding Romesh Ranganathan funny would have me branded a ‘knob’ or insinuated as racist.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    vff said:
    I thought Romesh made an astute observation. Millwall a club that is not racist but one where racism amongst the supporters is tolerated.
    Is that particularly astute? I’d say it’s fairly obvious that people working for and within the club are not actually racist because they must need at least a few brain cells to do the jobs they do.
    Accurate - then if you prefer that word. 
  • Options
    I think he's pretty funny, I don't watch league of their own come to that I don't watch any panel shows really. Like anyone who has to work for a living he has a shtick that puts food on the table. I have a choice whether or not to watch generic chat shows or stuff like that. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Add me to your hahahaha list as well please as I don’t find him particularly funny either
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    I would actually say hes totally unfunny, and indeed actually sucks any fun out of the room, so I dont watch him now (which is difficult as it seems hes on nearly every Comedy show) but, hey, everyone has their own opinion.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
  • Options
    edited February 2019

Add me to your hahahaha list as well please as I don’t find him particularly funny either
    But do you consider that he only has one topic for his comedy and that is racism?  And do you see yourself as belonging to a minority?

PS I don't have a list but as you are a moderator I suppose I could start one for you?

:)
  • Options
    He is likable and he has a good sense of humour.

That is my very simple direct contribution to this thread.
  • Options
    Congratulations on your impending arrival mate
  • Options
    Congratulations on your impending arrival mate
    Yep. All the best from the Baldy family.
  • Options
    This turned in to a bit of a car crash last night and having slept on it and re-read the entire thread there's a couple of things I wanted to clarify.

Firstly, hands-up, I hadn't read the article linked in the original post before commenting. Having done so now, I understand that this was not the right thread to air my views on Romesh's comedy and should have been a better discussion about identifying and eradicating racism from the game. Apologies for my part in distracting from that.

Secondly, my original post was entirely meant in the context of his limited comedic material and not those things to judge him as an individual. Having read the original article, the original post I quoted and my response, I can understand why that wasn't clear and may have been interpreted differently. Specific apologies to @jonesyAddick and anyone else who I offended through my lack of clarity.

I accept that I am responsible for the misunderstanding, but equally resent the insinuation that my post was born out of any form of prejudice.

Anyway, time for a period of self-imposed leave. With my first child due any day, it's a good time to take a break from all things Charlton and focus on something altogether more positive.
    As someone with a 10 week old I can tell you no need to worry about Romesh or anything else on TV as you'll never have time to watch the anything ever again.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Seen him on LOTO, where I find Flintoff and Redknapp funnier and they aren’t even comedians. Saw him on Live at The Apollo, where I know you don’t get to use your best stuff, but found him poor.

Reading this thread, we should stick him in the ‘Hes a nice bloke so can’t be criticised’ box along with Phil Parkinson.