Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Naby Sarr.

Comments

• Options
    He wasn't that bad - had to be subbed as it was a risk after booking. 
    Own goal, silly booking and subbed at half time isn’t quite the greatest Wembley performance we’ve ever seen though!
  • Options
    Said to my lot at half time i would sub him.  Got the yellow and pulled out of two tackles straight after as he was clearly worried about a red - was looking a liability for it.  Was delighted when the change was made and Pearce is a fantastic and experienced player to bring on.
  • Options
    I suspect Naby is taking his fasting quite seriously, which means not only no food after about 2.30am but no water either. I really like him as a player and I think he'll do OK in the Championship. 
  • Options
    mentioned a while back about him fasting - when it comes to big games he does seem to let the pressure get to him - worries me for next season as places like elland road the crowd can be on top of you. 
  • Options
    Do we actually know that he was fasting? A Muslim friend told me once that sportsmen can claim exemption if they are competing during Ramadan and then make it up later on.
  • Options
    Nabby will be fine,just needs to get the ball on to his left foot a bit quicker after receiving it,he has this dangerous habit of stopping the ball and ending up with it on his weaker foot.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Do we actually know that he was fasting? A Muslim friend told me once that sportsmen can claim exemption if they are competing during Ramadan and then make it up later on.
    He was definitely fasting, as he also had to be dope tested after the match, much to Lyle Taylor's amusement as he said he hadn't drank anything. (that was all posted on instagram after the match)
  • Options
    I am fine with  Naby being on the squad next year.   With Bauer likely leaving, let Pearce and naby battle it out for the second starter position but we absolutely need an upgrade at one starting center half position.  There is definitely a difference in quality between league one and championship.  Of our current starting lineup I would be comfortable with Cullen, bielik, aribo being quality starters in the championship.  Unfortunately, there is no guarantee any of these will be on squad next year.  Lyle and Dillon are interesting cases, they have been outstanding in league one but the step up in quality at striker and goalkeeper seems higher than other positions. That being said realistically given budget constraints,  we might be only able to upgrade in a a few positions. Ideally, one center half, the second striker, and one midfielder with a mix of returning players and some journeymen on a free for the rest of the roster
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Did Pratley drop back into Defence then once we'd scored?
  • Options
    Before we scored (I think). Very handy having a player who can do that comfortably without the need for a sub. 
  • Options
    don't give away trade secrets haha 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Before we scored (I think). Very handy having a player who can do that comfortably without the need for a sub. 
    Agreed- it worked well against Brentford too.  I was very skeptical of Pratley this time last year but he has truly been magnificent in the last 6 months. 
  • Options
    Pratley is very underrated, he may be aging but strong, experienced and will always give 100% and probably great to have around the place for the younger players.
  • Options
    When battling is required, Pratley is your go to man. 
  • Options
    Part of the thing with Darren is the expectation of where we should be in the league and how much we should be dominating games. 

Last year we were expecting to dominate the majority of games and were likely to be put inder less pressure bu the opposition. So we were better off with the likes of Cullen and Bielik playing the holding roles as they are more technical and had more aspects to their game whilst bot being quite so good as the Pratley role.

This season we are expecting to be put under more pressure so having someone do solely the Pratley role is key. And he has thrived.
  • Options
    Soon the penny will drop with some Charlton fans and maybe players as well that Lee Bowyer picks a side to do a job against different opposition. 
    On CL and at the ground you still hear why is Sarr/Pearce/Pratley etc dropped after playing well ! 

At the beginning of this season there were question marks against every single player in this squad about could they prove themselves in the Championship.
    Solly and Pratley are playing better than they did in League 1.

The beauty of 3-5-2 is it dovetails into 5-3-2 when you are under the cosh to deal with crosses or through balls. 4-4-2 can still be effective but interesting that Leeds prefer to play against 4-4-2.

Naby Sarr will always give us heart stopping moments (Cruyff turn when last man !) But I for one was disappointed when he didn't take the free kick down the Covered end.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Really interesting that Bowyer picked Sarr over Pearce because he knew in advance that he wanted to switch to a back 3 after a few minutes, and would move Pratley back

With the back 3, if anything the choice is Pratley vs Pearce to play the CB in the middle, with Sarr and Lockyer having slightly more freedom to move forward with the ball
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Bowyer and Jackson know the measure of the man, that's why he's the only network-era signing who's still here. Wonder if our budget can accommodate a contract extension 
    Hope so!!
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Leuth said:
    Bowyer and Jackson know the measure of the man, that's why he's the only network-era signing who's still here. Wonder if our budget can accommodate a contract extension 
    That’s not the reason he’s still here. That’s because he signed a 5 year contract on very high wages.  Bauer and Igor’s were only 4 years; they left at the end of it .
    The 5 year contract will be the reason he's still here on his high wages no doubt.

But having said that would any of us be opposed to a contract extension on the same terms? Think that's the point Leuth was trying to make.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Leuth said:
    That’s not the reason he’s still here. That’s because he signed a 5 year contract on very high wages.  Bauer and Igor’s were only 4 years; they left at the end of it .
    The 5 year contract will be the reason he's still here on his high wages no doubt.

But having said that would any of us be opposed to a contract extension on the same terms? Think that's the point Leuth was trying to make.
    Or offer him reduced terms? He still might go for it.