Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post match views: Charlton v Southend

Comments

• Options
    RedChaser said:
    The Southend physio contributed to the time wasting in the sense that it took him about five minutes to waddle to the other side of the pitch to treat the countless casualties. He racked up about six minutes extra time all by himself. 
    I watched on stream with no sound but did 'who ate all the pies' get sung :smiley:
    I heard a faint rendition of “you’ve got a pie in your pocket” during one of his waddles. 
  • Options
    The Southend physio contributed to the time wasting in the sense that it took him about five minutes to waddle to the other side of the pitch to treat the countless casualties. He racked up about six minutes extra time all by himself. 
    It only took him that long to get from A to B because he was taking care not to drop any cake crumbs on the pitch.
  • Options
    I would happily give Sarr a go up top when Pearce is back.I thought Belik was awful yesterday and before you right off Igor you have to have service to do anything, Taylor would have struggled yesterday 
  • Options
    edited February 2019
  • Options
    I would happily give Sarr a go up top when Pearce is back.I thought Belik was awful yesterday and before you right off Igor you have to have service to do anything, Taylor would have struggled yesterday 
    I don’t think Taylor would have struggled because the team knows how he plays and he is very good at holding up the ball, which is not Vetokele strength.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    I watched on stream with no sound but did 'who ate all the pies' get sung :smiley:
    I heard a faint rendition of “you’ve got a pie in your pocket” during one of his waddles. 
    To borrow from the Bible - Physio, heal thyself.
  • Options
    One thing I noticed a couple of times yesterday, was Parker getting a good header from the back post into the box - with no sign of Igor to put it away.
    How many times did Igor even touch the ball in the second half?
    No disrespect to Igor, because I know he’s had some horrible luck with injuries over the last few years, but I don’t see much him in anymore.  It’s also so hard to tell whether or not he was ever a good player because we got half a season out of him.  Was that the real him of just a decent period in otherwise average player?
  • Options
    Apologies if this has been posted already but someone on FB saying that Bielik will be suspended for the next 2 games following his yellow card yesterday.

Is this true, please ? 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    One thing I noticed a couple of times yesterday, was Parker getting a good header from the back post into the box - with no sign of Igor to put it away.
    How many times did Igor even touch the ball in the second half?
    No disrespect to Igor, because I know he’s had some horrible luck with injuries over the last few years, but I don’t see much him in anymore.  It’s also so hard to tell whether or not he was ever a good player because we got half a season out of him.  Was that the real him of just a decent period in otherwise average player?
    I was at the Rotherham game when the 2 CB took turns in kicking lump out of him and he limped off and the problem started with the Achilles heel.

Brighton and Brentford away he was very sharp and scored but he has never looked that good at the valley since day 1.
    He moved quite well yesterday but was very rusty and totally messed up two chances in the first half. Unlike Cullen who looked Sharp in his first match back recently, Igor always looks slightly sluggish.

I'm very happy for Igor and his wife with their new baby BUT for Igor not to go into training after the Monday U23 game until Friday when surely 2 hours on Wednesday and Thursday would have prepared him better for the match. Parker must start with Taylor until Igor can show a bit more.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Just reminded me. Noticed that Williams went off the pitch after being fouled by thrir player who then got red carded. Now, I was categorically told on here 2 weeks ago that this law had been scrapped when a player is booked for a challenge that leads to an injury.

So......are you lot incompetent....or was the ref  ??
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A fan of Bowyer but that starting eleven was a joke ( I know he doesn't have many options at the moment ) . Parker should have started as Vetokele is not fit . Marshall and Fosu were poor and don't get me started on RHF . Loved Sarr's performance, Cullen and Reeves worked hard . Southend keeper was MOM and felt like a loss not a draw . Taylor and Bauer back next week should see an improvement in form . Think we could still do top two  .
    Top 2  ??  You are joking right  ?? Luton & Barnsley are miles better than us. Regularly score 3 goals or more where we, even with our 2 top strikers playing, would be lucky to get more than 2. Now that we are left with just Taylor & a midfield that scores approx 1 goal between them in every other game I think 6th is just about doable.
  • Options
    I had Parker starting ahead of Igor.
    That fantastic cross from Williams on the right which Vetokele messed up was more from Rustiness and not fitness, but may  have been converted judging by JP heading in the 2nd half.
    Also the one decent cross by Fosu for Williams may have found Parker as well.

According to a neutral source Igor is on 7k a week, if this summer he doesn't want to be out of work, he needs for his families sake as well as Charlton's to score half a dozen goals.
    Maybe Igor just needed the 90 minutes But as Ricky Holmes and Tarique Fosu have found out, football is an ephemeral experience and your can't live on previous seasons form, or in Fosu case one magic game against the Gills two months ago.
    Igor joined us in 2014 for a reported 2 million pounds plus and if your 7k is right that is a further 1.8 million pounds in wages.  We have had a dozen goals from him, that's not a great return.  I don't recall good performances from Igor (for us) since 2014/15.  If push comes to shove I'd much rather we released him and continued our investment in Fosu.
  • Options
    That fantastic cross from Williams on the right which Vetokele messed up was more from Rustiness and not fitness, but may  have been converted judging by JP heading in the 2nd half.

According to a neutral source Igor is on 7k a week, if this summer he doesn't want to be out of work, he needs for his families sake as well as Charlton's to score half a dozen goals.
    Maybe Igor just needed the 90 minutes But as Ricky Holmes and Tarique Fosu have found out, football is an ephemeral experience and your can't live on previous seasons form, or in Fosu case one magic game against the Gills two months ago.
    Igor joined us in 2014 for a reported 2 million pounds plus and if your 7k is right that is a further 1.8 million pounds in wages.  We have had a dozen goals from him, that's not a great return.  I don't recall good performances from Igor (for us) since 2014/15.  If push comes to shove I'd much rather we released him and continued our investment in Fosu.

In an ideal world you’d sell him for £2m and reinvest the money in a new striker, but we all know neither of those things will happen. 
  • Options
    Just reminded me. Noticed that Williams went off the pitch after being fouled by thrir player who then got red carded. Now, I was categorically told on here 2 weeks ago that this law had been scrapped when a player is booked for a challenge that leads to an injury.

He went off to continue treatment but then came back on straight away.
  • Options
    Apologies if this has been posted already but someone on FB saying that Bielik will be suspended for the next 2 games following his yellow card yesterday.

Is this true, please ? 
    Unfortunately, yes.

Bielik managed to beat Lyle to ten bookings for the season. He should be coming back from his ban when Lyle goes off for his ...
  • Options

But he didnt have any treatment off the pitch. He simply walked off & came back on....within seconds. I was told last week that if a player is injured by a player that is subsequently booked then the injured player does not need to go off to be treated. Accrington player didn't.... Williams did. Either you or the ref clearly don't know the laws.
  • Options

But he didnt have any treatment off the pitch. He simply walked off & came back on....within seconds. I was told last week that if a player is injured by a player that is subsequently booked then the injured player does not need to go off to be treated. Accrington player didn't.... Williams did. Either you or the ref clearly don't know the laws.
    Or maybe just Google it yourself?

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/10512322/laws-of-the-game-changes-ahead-of-the-201617-premier-league-season

Above link mentions the Premier League yet its the IFAB's rules that have changed meaning that it affects everyone...

If a player is fouled and hurt by an opponent who subsequently receives a yellow or red card for the challenge, the injured player may be quickly treated on the pitch without the need to leave the field of play.
  • Options

Less wages paid by Zulte Waregem and St Truiden while on loan for two seasons.
  • Options

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/10512322/laws-of-the-game-changes-ahead-of-the-201617-premier-league-season

Above link mentions the Premier League yet its the IFAB's rules that have changed meaning that it affects everyone...

If a player is fouled and hurt by an opponent who subsequently receives a yellow or red card for the challenge, the injured player may be quickly treated on the pitch without the need to leave the field of play.
    So the ref gpt it wrong. Williams WAS treated quickly on the pitch but then went off the pitch to come back on within seconds. He had no treatment off the pitch nor looked like he needed to. Ref now gets a 0 from me.
  • Options

So the ref gpt it wrong. Williams WAS treated quickly on the pitch but then went off the pitch to come back on within seconds. He had no treatment off the pitch nor looked like he needed to. Ref now gets a 0 from me.
    I noticed that as well, strange that our players and physio didn't query it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Apologies for newbie-ism, but I haven't seen anything at all from Vetokele that makes me think he should be anywhere other than on the bench. I know Taylor and Parker might be similar types of striker, but if Bowyer doesn't start with these two up front of Saturday I'd be pretty disappointed. What's the alternative? Certainly not Vetokele imho. I accept that he had a difficult task playing up front with Marshall rather than Taylor, but he doesn't seem to offer much of a threat.
    Williams was pretty good yesterday, but he's never going to be a goal threat when he mainly seems to get given the ball deep in our own half. Give him the ball nearer their penalty area more often, let him run at them, and something might happen.

• Options
    Phillips: had virtually nothing to do and executed it well, one hot headed punt into touch sent a good opportunity begging but I'd rather see a bloke stumble when trying than not trying
    Solly: hasn't really got the tools to play centre half but he acquitted himself well
    Bielik: few blunders but decent overall
    Sarr: imperious, centre half, winger, praps next week he can partner Taylor up front :smile:
    Purrington: did nothing wrong, odd he was sacrificed in view of the shameful dross served up by at least one other
    Cullen: not his best showing for us, trying too hard, a better failing than one or two others
    Reeves: that goal was a fluke, not his worst showing for us but he's so lightweight, slow and hides for 20 -30% of the time
    Williams: dynamic, inventive, brave, brutalised, quite a coup getting him
    Fosu: the next most embarrassing shambles since Thuram's debut, TF doesn't have that chump's excuse of utter ineptitude, not only does he relentlessly make bad decisions but he then sulks and gets greedy, he had to be the one to go at halftime, can't see LB selecting him in the starting 11 again until we're down to 11 fit players
    Marshall: struggled out of position throughout, looks like he's trying but probably doesn't have the tools, the pace he supposedly had has clearly gone.
    Vetokele: alright for 50 odd minutes, kept showing to make runs which his colleagues couldn't pick out, ran plenty until his lack of fitness caught up with him
    Parker: added some aerial presence, hampered by the frontline's unfamiliarity and the increasing desperation of the team as a whole while carrying the burden of TF
    Referee: made the bold but correct decision on the red card then shat his pants and let Southend take the absolute piss, ended up looking like a total piss weak farce 
  • Options
    look at the table !! .. right now Luton and Barnsley are streets ahead but so were Pompey a few short weeks ago .. among the 4 play off spot teams, we are in the best form over the last five games along with Doncaster .. the issue perhaps is games played, we are ahead of the rest .. 
    but still chaps, there's no need just yet for panic, hair shirt wearing, self mutilation or suicide, save all that until it might become necessary after the season finally plays out. Come on you Addicks !! 
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/league-one/table

• Options
    Big week for Sunderland playing Tues, Fri, Tues. 
  • Options
    look at the table !! .. right now Luton and Barnsley are streets ahead but so were Pompey a few short weeks ago .. among the 4 play off spot teams, we are in the best form over the last five games along with Doncaster .. the issue perhaps is games played, we are ahead of the rest .. 
    but still chaps, there's no need just yet for panic, hair shirt wearing, self mutilation or suicide, save all that until it might become necessary after the season finally plays out. Come on you Addicks !! 

Weirdly all the teams from 3rd to 7th have slightly gone off the boil. 
  • Options

Must be time for 1st and 2nd to drop off a bit too.
  • Options
    Amazed how Luton keep winning....
  • Options

Must be time for 1st and 2nd to drop off a bit too.

I've been waiting for that to happen but it doesn't look likely. My worry is that although we have not been picking up too many wins we haven't had a really bad run of half a dozen or so games - which most teams have in a season.
  • Options
    I can't criticise Bowyer, he tried to keep the possibility of goals on the pitch. I thought Reeves was having a poor game but then chips in with a good goal. He is one of the players you have to play when you are missing your goalscorers. We were still a bit powder puff in front of goal but we all know how important Taylor is to us.
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:
    Big week for Sunderland playing Tues, Fri, Tues. 
    Sunderland v TAccy Stan is on SSports this coming Friday evening