Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Players Marks: Charlton v Southend

13»

Comments

• Phillips: 6 does not fill me with the same confidence as Steer did. Not particularly dominant in commanding his back four - Phillips/Bielik look like a disaster waiting to happen. 
    Solly: 7 played the second half in a strange position centre back/sweeper did ok, but he is never going to set the world alight.
    Bielik: 6 Poor performance, basic errors, and makes too many fouls - explains why he is playing league one football and not in the PL with Arsenal.
    Sarr: 8 Had a real swagger about him, currently confidence is riding high, you can see why we paid the big bucks for him a while ago.
    Purrington: 6.5 Never going to see him marauding up the flank, looks a pretty solid defender though.
    Cullen: 7 Likes a side ways pass, evidently a good player though. Will not be playing for us next year if we do not get promoted.
    Reeves: 7.5 Played well, is able to pull off a great turn to beat a man. Consistency is his issue.
    Williams: 7.5 Good player, oppositions will try to kick him out of the game with his injury track record. Hopefully can get him tied down post this season.
    Fosu: 4 Woeful. Where is the player of last season?
    Marshall: 5 His crossing was so poor. We have two players (Taylor and Parker) who are strong in the air, yet we have nobody in the squad able to consistently deliver good crosses - we're potentially missing out on a lot of goals. 
    Vetokele: 5 Off the pace, why he did not get his head on those two guilt edged chances I will never know. Look like we're really going to miss Grant.
    Parker: Did quite well. Good header from the corner, either side of the keeper and he is the hero.
    Referee: 8
  • Ifollow

Phillips: 6.5
    Solly: 6
    Bielik: 7.5
    Sarr: 8
    Purrington: 6
    Cullen: 6.5
    Reeves: 6
    Williams: 7
    Fosu: 5.5 (Disappointing for his potential, but why mark him 1, 2 and 3? Is that compared to Messi? For an academy debutant that performance would have been quite exciting. A 9 then maybe?)
    Marshall: 6
    Vetokele: 6
    Parker: 7
    Referee: 6

Hackett-Fairchild: n/a (nearly lost the game twice, LB must see he is not ready, dont destroy the kid!)
    Lapslie: n/a

• Ifollow

Phillips: 6.5
    Bielik: 7.5
    Cullen: 6.5
    Reeves: 6
    Fosu: 5.5 (Disappointing for his potential, but why mark him 1, 2 and 3? Is that compared to Messi? For an academy debutant that performance would have been quite exciting. A 9 then maybe?)
    Referee: 6

Hackett-Fairchild: n/a (nearly lost the game twice, LB must see he is not ready, dont destroy the kid!)
    Lapslie: n/a

Why mark him 1,2 or 3?   Well, all marks from 0-10 are available and that was about as bad a performance that I have seen in a Charlton shirt. I gave him a point for putting his shirt on the right way round and another for finding the pitch at the end of the tunnel. That was about all he did right. Seriously though, if we have a ten point scale available I can’t understand why some markers just won’t give a mark below 5. Makes no sense to me. 
  • edited February 2019
    @Sillybilly my marking ststem FWIIW but it's each to their own;

1- atrocious, an embarrassment to his profession should never be allowed on a football pitch again
    2- absolute stinker
    3- very poor game
    4- poor game
    5- below average
    6- average
    7- good game
    8- very good game
    9- excellent performance
    10- outstanding / out of this world and should be playing for Barca / Real Madrid
  • Phillips: 7
    Solly: 6.5
    Bielik: 6.5
    Sarr: 8.5
    Purrington: 6.5
    Cullen: 6
    Reeves: 6.5
    Fosu: 5
    Vetokele: 5
    Parker: 6.5

• Phillips: 6.5 - one moment of hesitation in the first half which could have proved costly but otherwise solid and made a good save near the end
    Solly: 6 - did ok
    Bielik: 7 - an uneven performance but more good than bad
    Sarr: 7.5 - very good, with some excellent distribution from the back
    Purrington: 6 - sound
    Cullen: 7 - kept things moving nicely
    Reeves: 6.5 - an inconsistent player but does produce a few moments of real quality
    Williams: 7.5 - a very skilful ball carrier, who came in for a lot of heavy treatment from a very cynical Southend side
    Fosu: 3 - so much natural ability but so little application and football intelligence. What is going on inside the player's head ?
    Marshall: 4.5 - got into some great positions in the second half but, with the exception of the one for Reeves' goal, his crossing was diabolical
    Vetokele: 4.5 - offered no threat and was barely in the game. The 90 minutes will have helped him but I fear that Igor is unlikely to offer us much in the last 14 games
    Parker: 7 - offered aerial ability and a real presence up front during a promising second half appearance
    Referee: 
    Bielik: 6
    Purrington: 7
    Cullen: 7
    Reeves: 7
    Parker: 6
  • Phillips: 6.5 No chance with goal and did most things well, including two decent saves
    Solly:  7 So much space in the 1st half but the ball went to him too slowly; did OK in his libero role 2nd half.
    Bielik: 6.5 Solid but does have a bad habit of getting booked in almost every game due to over complicating things
    Sarr: 7.5 (MoM) Very good game
    Purrington: 5 Poor 1st half and good to see him tactically subbed at h/t
    Cullen: 6 Lots of ball but too slow getting in forwards
    Reeves: 6.5 Worked hard but often in the way of Williams
    Williams: 5.5 It may just be me but other than winning free kicks, I can't see what he brings to the table (yet)
    Fosu: 4.5 Very poor throughout
    Marshall:  5 Tactically wrong first half but better slinging in crosses during 2nd period.
    Vetokele: 4.5 Missed a couple of good (header) chances and generally off the pace
    Parker: 6 Did OK and nearly scored; gave the team balance
    Referee: 4 Very inconsistent, which benefited us as Cullen could easily have seen red too.
  • Phillips: 6.5-not much he could do for goal, needs to boss his box more though.
    Solly: 7 -OK
    Bielik: 4 - So many unnecessary fouls, puts us under pressure time and time again. Can see why people like him, not for me though.
    Sarr: 8 - MOTM
    Purrington: 5.5
    Cullen: 7 - tried hard
    Reeves: 7.5- should have stayed on
    Williams:7 - not enough in the end
    Fosu:3 - Lazy waste of space
    Marshall: 6 - Got an assist, not the best player but tries.
    Vetokele: 5-not enough.
    Parker: 7 - excited to see him with Taylor, looks as capable as Grant.

Referee: 1- How we finished trhe game with more yellows on that field is a joke, we played about 10 minutes football in that second half, not one booking for time-wasting.
    Solly: 7
    Bielik: 6
    Williams:7
    Referee: 7
  • Sponsored links:

Solly: 5
    Bielik: 7
    Sarr: 7.5
    Fosu: 4
    Marshall: 5.5
    Parker: 6
  • Phillips: 7 - Sticking to his line a bit at the moment but did well, no chance with the goal
    Solly: 5 - Wasnt quite at the races on Saturday
    Bielik: 7 - Did well in what has been an unfamiliar position this season
    Sarr: 8 - Solid performance from him
    Purrington: 6 - Isnt attack minded enough for me
    Cullen: 6 - Passed the ball nicely, would slow down play a bit much at times
    Reeves: 7.5 - Did well, nice header for the goal
    Williams: 6 - Looks good but struggles with the end product at times
    Fosu: 4 - Agree with Bowyer's comments on him
    Marshall: 4 - Agree with Bowyer's comments
    Vetokele: 5 - Had scraps yet like Grant and Taylor has to still try and make something from them
    Parker: 7 - Impressed me when he came on

Referee: 7 - Thought he did handled the Red Card really well
  • Phillips: 8
    Solly: 7
    Bielik: 7
    Sarr: 9
    Purrington: 8 
    Cullen: 7
    Reeves: 5
    Williams: 8
    Fosu: 2
    Marshall: 5