Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dillon Phillips signs new contract (to 2021)

13»

Comments

• JamesSeed said:
    When did Dillon do anything like this:

'GOAL - Wolves 0-1 Newcastle

Isaac Hayden

!!!

How did that happen?

Let me explain.

Fabian Schar plays the ball through to Isaac Hayden who makes a run into the left side of the area. The midfielder smacks a 'saveable' effort but Rui Patricio can only palm the effort into the net.

Extraordinary, really.'

Decent keeper our Dillon!

That was shocking.  I wonder if it gives Robbie a chance to find favour again, currently 3rd choice.

• Bowyer reckons goalkeeping coach Andy Marshall has helped with his progression.

He said: “Dillon has definitely improved as a goalkeeper from the start of the season. Marsh has worked hard with him and Dillon has been on board with that.

“He’s improved, that’s obvious to see. I think he’s making more saves. His distribution has got a little better. He still has to improve on that, but he is improving, that’s all you can ask of him.

“We were walking off the training pitch last week and I said to him: ‘You’ve done well since you came back in – that’s all you have to do. If you keep playing well, you stay in the side’.

“There was a time when Dillon felt like he didn’t really have a chance here. He wanted to go out and play games, those were his words. The intention was that he was going to go on loan in January. But he played in the FA Cup, before we brought Chris in, and I said to him: ‘It’s your shirt to lose’.

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-boss-bowyer-talks-in-detail-about-dillon-phillips/

• clive said:

Bowyer reckons goalkeeping coach Andy Marshall has helped with his progression.

He said: “Dillon has definitely improved as a goalkeeper from the start of the season. Marsh has worked hard with him and Dillon has been on board with that.

“He’s improved, that’s obvious to see. I think he’s making more saves. His distribution has got a little better. He still has to improve on that, but he is improving, that’s all you can ask of him.

“We were walking off the training pitch last week and I said to him: ‘You’ve done well since you came back in – that’s all you have to do. If you keep playing well, you stay in the side’.

“There was a time when Dillon felt like he didn’t really have a chance here. He wanted to go out and play games, those were his words. The intention was that he was going to go on loan in January. But he played in the FA Cup, before we brought Chris in, and I said to him: ‘It’s your shirt to lose’.

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-boss-bowyer-talks-in-detail-about-dillon-phillips/

You almost feel sorry for Maxwell, as it's the first time in 3 years where the loan goal keeper is genuinely behind Dillon

With the other 3 keepers Rudd, Amos and Steer, they were either the first choice from the start or it was a matter of time. I imagine Maxwell expected to take the jersey straight away
  • clive said:

Bowyer reckons goalkeeping coach Andy Marshall has helped with his progression.

You almost feel sorry for Maxwell, as it's the first time in 3 years where the loan goal keeper is genuinely behind Dillon

With the other 3 keepers Rudd, Amos and Steer, they were either the first choice from the start or it was a matter of time. I imagine Maxwell expected to take the jersey straight away
    Maxwell is also more experienced than those three two

If anyone was going to start from the off you'd always expect it to have been him
  • I think Maxwell might be in the team next week, given Phillips very poor kicking today.
  • I think Maxwell might be in the team next week, given Phillips very poor kicking today.
    Yes that's obviously our main problem. I'm happy with a keeper who keeps the ball out of the net.

• Gotta remember that Phillips has only conceded four goals this year? - Not bad with three clean sheets
    His kicking isn’t poor, it’s absolutely awful
  • Sponsored links:

I can't remember many of our keepers whose kicking was outstanding.

The main job of a keeper is to keep the ball out of the net at L1 level. We're not exactly Man City.

The main job of a keeper is to keep the ball out of the net at L1 level. We're not exactly Man City.
    A lot of pitches in League One arent Premier League standard either - Quite a few times you need to just lump it clear 
  • From back passes he shanked two kicks. He took one poor free kick near the end

That was it.

Constantly looked to release it early to counter attack and did that well.

More, far more, importantly, commanded his box and kept another clean sheet.
    Well done Dillon.
  • If his kicking was as poor as Dean's we'd still have a very good keeper. 
  • Ever since the 'sweeper keeper' concept arrived fans have become obssessed with the kicking of their goalkeeper. Being a bit 'old school' I'm quite happy if our keeper keeps the ball out of the net even if he does hoof into Row Z every so often.

If we played like Man City then the footballing skills out our keeper might be more of an issue.

Hamer had better distribution than Phillips but Dillon to me looks a better and more assured keeper based on the rest of his game. 
  • Sage said:
    Dillon’s kicking is by far his weakest area of his game and no doubt he knows it. It’s something that I am sure he’s working on and I am sure he will eventually get better at it.

However, he is playing with confidence, making great saves at crucial moments and is keeping clean sheets. Other than a slight mix up the other week, he is beginning to read the game well as a keeper, coming out and clearing danger, that’s a good sign as he is switched on and his starting position is very good. We look solid at the back, our problem now unfortunately is finding the net at the other end.

We have far more bigger and pressing issues than Dillon’s kicking. He is very good with his hands and his throws are accurate. Of course there are times when he really shouldn’t be kicking it out of play so needlessly, and times where he over hits the free kicks, but this really can all be coached.

He has only played 14 league games this season, conceding 10 and with 5 clean sheets. He has also only conceded more than one goal in one game, the opener away at Sunderland. The stats are pretty good which suggests he is a reliable keeper.
    Not wishing to take anything away from dhillon but I think you’ll find the defence will also have had something to do with how tight we are at the back and the clean sheets. It’s teamwork and there’s no room for having what looks like lapses in concentration when he wastes possession of the ball, it lets your teammates down and they are the ones that have to win it back.

Hamer's kicking was mustard
  • I don't know why Phillips bothers kicking, his throw is a beast 
  • Sponsored links:

• CAFCsayer said:
    I don't know why Phillips bothers kicking, his throw is a beast 
    can't pick up a back pass on a bobberly pitch
  • edited February 2019
    Ever since the 'sweeper keeper' concept arrived fans have become obsessed with the kicking of their goalkeeper. Being a bit 'old school' I'm quite happy if our keeper keeps the ball out of the net even if he does hoof into Row Z every so often.

If we played like Man City then the footballing skills out our keeper might be more of an issue.

Hamer had better distribution than Phillips but Dillon to me looks a better and more assured keeper based on the rest of his game. 
    If we played like Man City at this level, we could have me in goal....or better still, play with 11 outfield players!

But I'm with you on the old-style keeper thing. The goal-stopping is the important thing....the goal creation comes a distant 2nd.

PS: Phillips did do one brilliant kick 2nd half to Parker on the left wing, who then chose to bring the ball back to the half way line instead of trying to burst forward with it. He might as well have rolled it to Sarr.
  • Sage said:
    Dillon’s kicking is by far his weakest area of his game and no doubt he knows it. It’s something that I am sure he’s working on and I am sure he will eventually get better at it.

However, he is playing with confidence, making great saves at crucial moments and is keeping clean sheets. Other than a slight mix up the other week, he is beginning to read the game well as a keeper, coming out and clearing danger, that’s a good sign as he is switched on and his starting position is very good. We look solid at the back, our problem now unfortunately is finding the net at the other end.

We have far more bigger and pressing issues than Dillon’s kicking. He is very good with his hands and his throws are accurate. Of course there are times when he really shouldn’t be kicking it out of play so needlessly, and times where he over hits the free kicks, but this really can all be coached.

He has only played 14 league games this season, conceding 10 and with 5 clean sheets. He has also only conceded more than one goal in one game, the opener away at Sunderland. The stats are pretty good which suggests he is a reliable keeper.
    Not wishing to take anything away from dhillon but I think you’ll find the defence will also have had something to do with how tight we are at the back and the clean sheets. It’s teamwork and there’s no room for having what looks like lapses in concentration when he wastes possession of the ball, it lets your teammates down and they are the ones that have to win it back.
    Yes of course the players in front of him have been more solid of late, having a balanced defence is so important. But Dillon has still made some very good and crucial saves at times that has kept us in the game or stopped us going behind.

I don’t think you can call it lapses in concentration as he always seems very alert and aware. He just isn’t very good with his feet and often kicks it out of play. As said though, that is something that can be improved on for sure. Maybe he gets a bit anxious and nervous when the ball comes to feet, as he is very solid and assured with his hands.

I would prefer to have a keeper who keeps the ball out the net than a keeper who can ping a ball 70 yards accurately but concedes regularly.
  • edited February 2019
    Most goalkeepers play in between the sticks because they are not good enough to make a living as an outfield player ffs . I couldn't give a monkey's toss whether he can kick a ball or not, at L1 level he's a goal preventer first and foremost and he'll do for me. Rant over! 
  • CAFCsayer said:
    I think Maxwell might be in the team next week, given Phillips very poor kicking today.

Hamer's kicking was mustard
    He also had an amazing beard but was a bit dodgy as a keeper sometimes. I had forgotten how good he was at kicking....