Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Southend | Sat 09 Feb | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    I would play the same team as Sage.

Need the experience of Pratley and for everyone to be on their game. 

I think Vetokele will be key. Personally I think he will be good.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    I have been very supportive of Bowyer, but if he doesn't play Fosu I will be starting to turn. Why? Because it is as obvious a selection tomorrow as it was last Saturday! I know Fosu hasn't set the world alight this year, but you have to balance the team and being without Grant and Taylor, you cant fill the team with people who simply don't score and never will score many goals. Even if they are good players, he has to factor in that he doesn't have the strikers to allow him the luxury. 

We also have to face the fact that we have lost Grant without a suitable replacement. Getting the Fosu of last season back would be a bonus. The home game against Gills showed he has it in him still and Bowyer needs to allow him to play himself back to form. Whatever Bowyer's reasons for not playing him, which we may not be fully aware of, the situation demands a bit of common sense. The team we put out last week had absolutely no goals in it, that has to change tomorrow.

It wasn't that we were completely toothless, it was that we expected that team to be! That is not good. put some Goals in the side, even if you have to play some lesser players technically - this is a simple fact of football that applies to all levels of the game. It amazes me how some professional managers don't seem to get it!
  • Options
    I have been very supportive of Bowyer, but if he doesn't play Fosu I will be starting to turn. Why? Because it is as obvious a selection tomorrow as it was last Saturday! I know Fosu hasn't set the world alight this year, but you have to balance the team and being without Grant and Taylor, you cant fill the team with people who simply don't score and never will score many goals. Even if they are good players, he has to factor in that he doesn't have the strikers to allow him the luxury. 

We also have to face the fact that we have lost Grant without a suitable replacement. Getting the Fosu of last season back would be a bonus. The home game against Gills showed he has it in him still and Bowyer needs to allow him to play himself back to form. Whatever Bowyer's reasons for not playing him, which we may not be fully aware of, the situation demands a bit of common sense. The team we put out last week had absolutely no goals in it, that has to change tomorrow.

It wasn't that we were completely toothless, it was that we expected that team to be! That is not good. put some Goals in the side, even if you have to play some lesser players technically - this is a simple fact of football that applies to all levels of the game. It amazes me how some professional managers don't seem to get it!
    Nah, Vetokele and Parker playing in their correct positions for me.

Fosu would be more use coming off the bench against a tiring defence would be the best chance of regaining some confidence in his own ability. We know he has it him.
  • Options
    addick05 said:

My cock up 

Lucky you! Been quite some time for me, I am afraid.
  • Options
    All contenders for promotion away ( other than Luton - who win anywhere anyway)

Got to win against Southend or that’s 1 or 2 points gained from the last 9 points.

COYR’s

• Options
    Put it this way:

We win
    Doncaster lose

We are TEN points ahead of 7th with 13 games to go.

You never know...
  • Options
    0:0:0
  • Options
    Vetokele is just a  fuzzy reminder of those golden Luzon days.  I have never seen him do anything since his return from injury and he looks fat.

Just the wrong time to meet a well-drilled, gritty Chris Powell team at home and the writing is on the wall.

0.1  (Powell 98 mins)
  • Options
    Vetokele looks fat? Lmao he looks like a tank sure, but fat... Not really sure I can agree.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redrobo said:

Nah, Vetokele and Parker playing in their correct positions for me.

Fosu would be more use coming off the bench against a tiring defence would be the best chance of regaining some confidence in his own ability. We know he has it him.
    I could go with that, we just need to put some goals on the pitch. My concern is that Vetokele may not be fully up to speed, but I don't think it is easy. It is just if you fill your team with excellent players who don't score goals, you shouldn't be surprised when you don't score goals! There are not magic answers with our squad but you have to try something to address that.
  • Options
    Phillips

Solly, Bielik, Sarr, Purrington

Cullen

Pratley/ Reeves, Williams

Fosu 

Reeco, Parker.

subs: Dijksteel, Marshall, Reeves/Pratley, Stevenson , Vetokele, Ocran, Maxwell 
  • Options
    Cannot see us scoring in open play so the only hope is that the defence stays solid and doesn't concede and that somehow we score from a set piece.

0-0 will be good for us I think we'll go down 1 or 2 nil.

Sorry to be pessimistic but it's how I feel. Grant and Taylor leave a gap in our team the size of the Grand Canyon.
  • Options
    Charlton win the possession battle but Southend are more clinical in front of goal. 0-2.
  • Options
    Who is the penalty taker?
    Penalties have been one of this season's tropes.
  • Options
    A tight game, I think one game will clinch it for us. Hopefully no sending offs, 2 in our last 3 matches we don't need another game like the one at Root's Hall!
  • Options
    Charlton score and win with a 90th minute penalty. Sir CP sacked. Charlton Life full of protests claiming ‘it was never a penalty.’
  • Options
    Back when my mum opened the Jimmy Seed Stand one of the cup winning Charlton team told me that JS used to say, “when the wind’s behind you, boot the ball up in the air, it causes chaos in defences”. 
    So plenty of welly, combined with plenty of shots, and we should be fine. 

• Options
    Phillips, solly, bielik, sarr, purrington, cullen holding, reeves, williams, fosu, parker and igor up top. Attacking with pace and creativity - do not want to see pratley - lets worry about winning the game rather than not conceding.
  • Options
    Comfortable win - they’re a poor side in decline
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:
    Who is the penalty taker?
    Penalties have been one of this season's tropes.
    Grant :smile:
  • Options
    5 - 0 to Charlton - we defy logic, always have always will.
  • Options
    The coaching and training at Sparrows lane this week will decide the outcome of this match.
    Have Parker and Vetokele been training in a two up front, can they gel, can Igor play for an hour. Is Igor focused after baby ?
    Can Bowyer and JJ get a Gillingham MOM performance from Fosu ?
    Can Sarr and Bielik manage to go 90 minutes without being caught on the ball,
    Or making a faux pas ?
    Can Reeves, Williams and Cullen show their undoubted abillity at this level and boss the game ?

So many questions BUT unless you realize that 34 goals (without checking) have disappeared from the Charlton team  you simply haven't been paying attention.

Lyle, Karlan and Joe before you ask.

• Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Phillips, solly, bielik, sarr, purrington, cullen holding, reeves, williams, fosu, parker and igor up top. Attacking with pace and creativity - do not want to see pratley - lets worry about winning the game rather than not conceding.
    A midfield of Cullen, Reeves, Williams and Fosu would probably set a record for the smallest midfield ever started in a professional game! 
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    The coaching and training at Sparrows lane this week will decide the outcome of this match.
    Have Parker and Vetokele been training in a two up front, can they gel, can Igor play for an hour. Is Igor focused after baby ?

Bowyer said on Thu that he hasn't seen Igor since the U23 match.

• Options
    redman said:
    DOUCHER said:
    A midfield of Cullen, Reeves, Williams and Fosu would probably set a record for the smallest midfield ever started in a professional game! 
    Still not enough reason to put Pratley in though for me - we will be like the Barcelona of league 1!!!! I think he probably will go with Pratley and rhfc to start actually and that will give us more height but wouldn’t be my choice - get them in later after the game is won for defending an aerial bombardment 
  • Options
    Think Bielik having to move to defence will be a blessing in disguise. Much prefer the midfield wirh either him or Cullen at the base. Would probably have lapslie alongside to run all day with Fosu and Williams ahead. 

Igor and Parker up top.