Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bowyer: On transfer deadline day

Comments

• Options
    Bubble said:

It's like an elaborate wind up supporting Charlton,

* Charlton messing around on the last day to replace a striker sold 3 days prior knowing likely a week before he was leaving.
    * Bolton trying to sign Ched Evans on loan - Fleetwood subsequently don't sign the paperwork to release him from them which means Charlton don't sign Oztumer and Evans stays at Fleetwood.
    * Ched Evans goes on to score the winner for Fleetwood against Charlton 2 days later.
    * Charlton fail to have more than one shot on target and carry no goal scoring threat.

Does this happen to other clubs?

Outrageous!

We had two shots on target.
  • Options

Redrobo said:

N01R4M said:

So...

Bristol City & Bolton do not let their striker go until they have signed a replacement.

Charlton Athletic sells half of its effective striking force, keeping its fingers crossed a replacement will be available.

Hmmmm...

It is normal for the higher placed club to dictate things. Do you really expect a league 1 club that is after money to say to a premier league club, please hang on a bit we need to get someone else in? Not going to happen.

As I said on the rumour thread, the real issue is that Bows was not given any money.
    But Fleetwood (league 1) dictated negotiations with Bolton (championship), hence why Evans didn’t leave and we didn’t get Oztumer.
    yes, funny how a CONTRACTED player is "allowed" to leave with no replacement. In business a significant employee has at least a 3 month notice period, and more likely 6 months. The transfer window shut at 11pm on January 31st. It was hardly news to anyone.

I know I'm alone in this (when aren't I ?) but I would have just said to Grant "sorry son, until we get a player in to replace you the you're not leaving". Cant do that you say - he'll throw his toys out the pram - cant have an unhappy player around the place - yadda yadda yadda. F**k him. He's contracted to us. Let him throw a strop. See how the fans react to that. I might be cutting my nose off to spite my face, but hey.....maybe try a different way of thinking - it might just work.

I know this all falls down because RD is a twat & wanted the money, but he only wanted the money because there was an offer - and I bet Grant's agent had a hand in that, or did Huddersfield just wake up one day & say...." I know the way to keep us up - lets buy a player from League One"

btw. it happened with Scott Parker & at that time we had very good owners & plenty of money........so this isn't a one off !!!!
    But if Grant refused to play or deliberately played sub standard for the rest of the season, what's the benefit for Charlton ?
  • Options

Redrobo said:

N01R4M said:

So...

Bristol City & Bolton do not let their striker go until they have signed a replacement.

Charlton Athletic sells half of its effective striking force, keeping its fingers crossed a replacement will be available.

Hmmmm...

It is normal for the higher placed club to dictate things. Do you really expect a league 1 club that is after money to say to a premier league club, please hang on a bit we need to get someone else in? Not going to happen.

As I said on the rumour thread, the real issue is that Bows was not given any money.
    But Fleetwood (league 1) dictated negotiations with Bolton (championship), hence why Evans didn’t leave and we didn’t get Oztumer.
    yes, funny how a CONTRACTED player is "allowed" to leave with no replacement. In business a significant employee has at least a 3 month notice period, and more likely 6 months. The transfer window shut at 11pm on January 31st. It was hardly news to anyone.

I know I'm alone in this (when aren't I ?) but I would have just said to Grant "sorry son, until we get a player in to replace you the you're not leaving". Cant do that you say - he'll throw his toys out the pram - cant have an unhappy player around the place - yadda yadda yadda. F**k him. He's contracted to us. Let him throw a strop. See how the fans react to that. I might be cutting my nose off to spite my face, but hey.....maybe try a different way of thinking - it might just work.

I know this all falls down because RD is a twat & wanted the money, but he only wanted the money because there was an offer - and I bet Grant's agent had a hand in that, or did Huddersfield just wake up one day & say...." I know the way to keep us up - lets buy a player from League One"

btw. it happened with Scott Parker & at that time we had very good owners & plenty of money........so this isn't a one off !!!!
    But if Grant refused to play or deliberately played sub standard for the rest of the season, what's the benefit for Charlton ?
    In what world is that realistic?
  • Options
    The

Redrobo said:

N01R4M said:

So...

Hmmmm...

thought you wanted him sacked in the summer and never to play for Charlton again?

• Options
    Translated.

"The Belgian bitch fucked me over!"
  • Options

Redrobo said:

N01R4M said:

So...

Hmmmm...

IF he was on a longer contract then maybe. Out of contract and up to £2m on the table, crass stupidity for a league 1 club not to sell as not enough cash in getting promotion.
  • Options
    edited February 2019

Redrobo said:

N01R4M said:

So...

Hmmmm...

Scott Parker? Heard of him?
  • Options
    Oztumer is pure class but dont understand that CAM is literally the single last position we need bodies
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    CAFCsayer said:

Oztumer is pure class but dont understand that CAM is literally the single last position we need bodies

Bowyer said he couldn't get a 9, so a goalscoring 10 (15 goals last season) was the next best thing.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Redrobo said:

N01R4M said:

So...

Hmmmm...

IF he was on a longer contract then maybe. Out of contract and up to £2m on the table, crass stupidity for a league 1 club not to sell as not enough cash in getting promotion.
    Promotion is worth about £6m, albeit it brings extra costs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Redrobo said:

N01R4M said:

So...

Hmmmm...

I said it at the time & still stand by it that if we hadnt had sold him & he then refused to play for us I would have just left him in the reserves. Footballers LOVE to play football & Parker at that time would not have wanted to sit in the reserves & not play. Imagine not playing & seen to be playing week in & week out....in The Premiership - shown all over the world. Especially when he was on the cusp of an England place. And do you serious think he would then put in a sub-standard performance. No way.

It's called balls......and you need to show who's got them.
  • Options

Redrobo said:

N01R4M said:

So...

Hmmmm...

I said it at the time & still stand by it that if we hadnt had sold him & he then refused to play for us I would have just left him in the reserves. Footballers LOVE to play football & Parker at that time would not have wanted to sit in the reserves & not play. Imagine not playing & seen to be playing week in & week out....in The Premiership - shown all over the world. Especially when he was on the cusp of an England place. And do you serious think he would then put in a sub-standard performance. No way.

All I know for sure was Charlton said Parker refused to play for us.
  • Options

Redrobo said:

N01R4M said:

So...

Hmmmm...

Completly different circumstances, a guy whose had half a good season in league 1 would be ridiculously stupid to refuse to play especially given he's out of contract in the summer anyway. Would also take the piss out of Bowyer and Jacko who've played a big part in the reason he's come good + the club sticking with him during the summer incident. 1% chance
  • Options

Redrobo said:

N01R4M said:

So...

Hmmmm...

He said it rather loudly in public in the players" lounge after a match with his hair still wet to Curbs and Murray. Allegedly.
  • Options
    Going back to the Ajose thing, I doesn't sense to me either.

Good movement and looked to being trying, but snapping at chances due to being too desperate to score and low on confidence in that respect.

Surely, some issue behind the scenes, as why leave yourself short? (Grant to Rangers had been rumoured before Ajose left)
  • Options

Redrobo said:

N01R4M said:

So...

Hmmmm...

What happened to demanding we cancel his contract, not caring how many goals he scores and doing nothing but abusing him from the stands all season..... That's the line you took before the season started.

Nothing as fickle as a football fan.
  • Options

Redrobo said:

N01R4M said:

So...

Hmmmm...

What happened to demanding we cancel his contract, not caring how many goals he scores and doing nothing but abusing him from the stands all season..... That's the line you took before the season started.

Nothing as fickle as a football fan.
    Was it ?? Don't remember saying that. I might have......but that's not the argument. The argument now is that you shouldn't let the player, any player, dictate the terms.
  • Options

Redrobo said:

N01R4M said:

So...

Hmmmm...

What happens if the club says sorry you can’t leave and then he doesn’t score goals and he takes penalties like the one at Peterborough? Would making him stay seem like such a good idea ?
  • Options
    Charlton manager Lee Bowyer has admitted that Joe Aribo’s knee injury was a blessing in one sense – it stopped the midfielder heading out The Valley exit door last month.
    “If I’m honest then we’re probably lucky Joe Aribo has been injured for the last month or so,” said Bowyer. “There would definitely have been interest there.

“I know a few clubs were asking questions, in and around the circuit, about him.

“I think it’s a fortunate thing for us that he’s been injured.”

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/joe-aribos-injury-ended-risk-of-him-also-being-a-january-transfer-exit-for-charlton-athletic/
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Lee Bowyer saying what many of us were thinking before his knee injury.
    Would Joe go in the Window and
    Was it serendipitous he got injured when he did ?

We lost Grant because in the world of football, 5 months of 14 goals, being fast, hard working off the ball and being only 21 with Yes, 5 years of playing 1st team football (on and off) sealed the deal.
    Despite not being a clinical finisher at the moment.

If Aribo can be 100% fit from end of February then he will have a big say in our prospects. Sadly we will still lose him if Duchatelet is the Ring master come summer.
  • Options

Redrobo said:

N01R4M said:

So...

Hmmmm...

He said it rather loudly in public in the players" lounge after a match with his hair still wet to Curbs and Murray. Allegedly.
    You must be mistaken. In what world is that realistic ? :smiley::smiley:
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    CAFCsayer said:

Oztumer is a proven goal-scoring No.10. In the absence of a new No.9, then he would've been the right man. It also would've meant that LB could go 4-2-3-1 and sill have two goal-scorers in the front 4.

None of Reeves, Williams or Fosu have looked especially likely to get too many goals thus far (let's hope that changes as of Saturday!)
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

CAFCsayer said:

Oztumer is a proven goal-scoring No.10. In the absence of a new No.9, then he would've been the right man. It also would've meant that LB could go 4-2-3-1 and sill have two goal-scorers in the front 4.

None of Reeves, Williams or Fosu have looked especially likely to get too many goals thus far (let's hope that changes as of Saturday!)
    Fosu to score from his talent has to beat the holding midfielder and two CBs. He is not a shift it to the side and let fly type player. Put him one on one or one on two from wider and he will create a chance for himself.
  • Options

Simonsen said:

CAFCsayer said:

Fosu to score from his talent has to beat the holding midfielder and two CBs. He is not a shift it to the side and let fly type player. Put him one on one or one on two from wider and he will create a chance for himself.
    Although he scored exactly like that, was it V Barnsley or Blackpool?
  • Options

Redrobo said:

N01R4M said:

So...

Hmmmm...

You must be mistaken. In what world is that realistic ? :smiley::smiley:
    Who put 50p in you?
  • Options
    See Bow's gone public on his frustration with not getting a striker in. Fair play to him, but can see the cracks starting to appear and wouldn't be surprised if he walked / got pushed, which would be a massive shame as I think he's that best thing to happen to Charlton since RD took over -

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/category/sport/charlton-football/
  • Options
    unless Parker and/or Igor become goal scorers that 6th place is going to be mighty hard to get.
  • Options
    See Bow's gone public on his frustration with not getting a striker in. Fair play to him, but can see the cracks starting to appear and wouldn't be surprised if he walked / got pushed, which would be a massive shame as I think he's that best thing to happen to Charlton since RD took over -

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/category/sport/charlton-football/

To be fair, Bow knew the situation within the club before he agreed to take the job on. I for one and pleased he did. Bow (and JJ) are plugging away and seem to have the players motivated and they are certainly playing the style of football I want to watch. I hope he doesn't walk as I agree he is the best thing that has happened to the club since this cluster**** began.
  • Options
    I wonder how far Bowyer is from genuinely criticising Duchatelet. He'd certainly have the backing of fans if he did.