Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fleetwood v Charlton 2/2/19 - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    SE7toSG3 said:

just back in, long depressing drive home after what really was a shocking performance. We lacked bite, energy and any offensive spirit.

From Dillon conversing with supporters about why everything was being passed out and across the back four, inviting pressure and mistakes to Mark Marshall threatening to jump the barrier and whack a barracking fan, we seemed light years from the team that rolled Shrewsbury over just a few weeks ago.

Make no mistake, Fleetwood were there for the taking until they realised we were no threat and started to play themselves into it.

Positives? Nice friendly place, with the sun in our eyes they even let us move from the seats to the terrace so at least we could see how bad we were, another ground ticked off and the return or Roland Out & Just Sell the Club being sung.

Its clear our squad has been weakened this window, the supporters knew and the team and management knew it, but as our gaffer keeps saying 'it is what it is' and will be until Duchatalet has gone, untill then, the cycle of disappointment will continue

What was the Marshall incident?
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

JamesSeed said:

No sure which thread to ask this on, but has Lee Bowyer spent any money at all on transfers since he took over, or have they all been loans and frees?

Don't believe so, although what was the last player we did pay something for? If RD still owns come July it'll be a team of free transfers.
    Billy Clarke, I believe.
  • Options

Rob7Lee said:

JamesSeed said:

No sure which thread to ask this on, but has Lee Bowyer spent any money at all on transfers since he took over, or have they all been loans and frees?

Don't believe so, although what was the last player we did pay something for? If RD still owns come July it'll be a team of free transfers.
    Billy Clarke, I believe.
    Surely not, he returned back to Bradford.

Might not be a loan officiado.

Just sort of a cash back....

Roland knows what he is doing ;-)
  • Options
    I think I would rather be a greedy bastard in all honesty
  • Options
    Redskin said:

One striker leaves; one is suspended; we're in the play-off positions; yet one defeat and suddenly Bowyer can't pick the right team, the midfield's shite; the team's shite everything's shite.
    Get a hold of yourselves.

When the wheels come off ! They come off big time. We are fooked !
  • Options
    Redskin said:

One striker leaves; one is suspended; we're in the play-off positions; yet one defeat and suddenly Bowyer can't pick the right team, the midfield's shite; the team's shite everything's shite.
    Get a hold of yourselves.

I see said the blind man, when he couldn't see at all
  • Options
    I fear there's going to be plenty more like this between now and the end of the season, so better get used to it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We're not good enough for top two - best hope is scrape into the playoffs. Too many mediocre performances.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

JamesSeed said:

Ajose maybe? Can't think of anyone since.
  • Options
    So in summing up; do we believe RD fed Jimbo White a takeover line before the transfer window so we’d be placated through it, knowing full well he was going to flog our top scorer and not give Bowyer any of the proceeds to strengthen the team?
    Or is that just conspiracy theory overload?
  • Options

That was a real lame performance , summed up by Purringtons pathetic chipped cross straight in to the keepers arms at the end when a drilled low and hard cross was what was required .

Vetokele (please no one spell it Ventokele ) looked quite lively when he came on .

Philips done well apart from one horrendous mix up that led to a good chance being missed by Evans who looked a class above .

I dread to think of the difference in wage bills of our final 11 (before the BFG was sent off) on the pitch and fleetwoods .

it's a shit league so play offs should still be made but i'm not asconvinced about promotion as i was a month ago .

millwall 5 points from relegation and safe
    palace 7 points from relegation and safe

what a time to be a Charlton fan

Mate, you are genuinely mental if you think we are anywhere near safe. Very few of us do! It’s going to go to the wire I assure you. We couldn’t beat Rotherham at home ffs! I personally think we’ll do it, but it will be very tight and I wouldn’t be surprised at all if we went down.

(Sorry to jump on a non Millwall related thread, just wanted to assure my old nemesis Oohahh that we are far from safe. As you were)

Any trouble with Rotherham yesterday?
  • Options
    Guys, guys can we please stop digging out @golfaddick
    Okay he’s got a few things right but a lot more things wrong but at least he gives the uncomfortable opinions.
    Really he should be promoted to moderator...
  • Options

Golfies comments re Karlan make him look a right bitter knob end.

I mean seriously why would anyone turn down a big offer like that to stay at our basket case .
    Gotta make hay while the sun shines

I say again he's 21. He has 15 years to "make hay". And if being a basket case of a club is a reason for leaving, why did Williams leave Palace to join us.

Yes I agree I am a knob. But I stand by my comments. Better a knob than a greedy bastard.
    It was a (potentially)once in a lifetime oppotunity for him to hit the jackpot financially.

He cannot be blamed for what he has done, the chance may never have come again.

I fail to see what you do not understand with his reasons for going.
  • Options
    When you saw the team, the obvious question was where are the goals going to come from. Goals are not part of Williams or Cullen's game. I would say that it is too early to tell with Lapslie and Reeves is in theory a goal scoring midfielder. That was about it yesterday. I said before the game that if we scored one we wouldn't lose! And I was right.

Vetokele wasn't fit, but Bowyer had potentially better goal options in Parker and Fosu. Surely you have to do something with no Grant and Taylor out rather than pray that players that are not scorers by nature are suddenly going to become so.

When teams don't feel under threat it gives them more adventure, and that is exactly what we saw from Fleetwood as the game went on. I rate Bowyer and everybody makes mistakes, but yesterday was definitely that. No Taylor next week - Parker and Fosu definitely have to be in the side. Accepting he was rubbish yesterday, Reeves probably needs to be in it too.

If he tried to get some goals in the side with his admittedly limited options, whatever the result, I wouldn't be critical of Bowyer at all. His problem is that he can see that Cullen, Williams and Beilik are excellent players, but you have to drop one of them with no strikers available. For me that was probably Cullen yesterday. Bauer getting sent off could actually help Bowyer address the issue next week. It really isn't rocket science. Fill your team with players that don't score goals and you don't score goals!
  • Options

When you saw the team, the obvious question was where are the goals going to come from. Goals are not part of Williams or Cullen's game. I would say that it is too early to tell with Lapslie and Reeves is in theory a goal scoring midfielder. That was about it yesterday. I said before the game that if we scored one we wouldn't lose! And I was right.

Vetokele wasn't fit, but Bowyer had potentially better goal options in Parker and Fosu. Surely you have to do something with no Grant and Taylor out rather than pray that players that are not scorers by nature are suddenly going to become so.

When teams don't feel under threat it gives them more adventure, and that is exactly what we saw from Fleetwood as the game went on. I rate Bowyer and everybody makes mistakes, but yesterday was definitely that. No Taylor next week - Parker and Fosu definitely have to be in the side. Accepting he was rubbish yesterday, Reeves probably needs to be in it too.

If he tried to get some goals in the side with his admittedly limited options, whatever the result, I wouldn't be critical of Bowyer at all. His problem is that he can see that Cullen, Williams and Beilik are excellent players, but you have to drop one of them with no strikers available. For me that was probably Cullen yesterday. Bauer getting sent off could actually help Bowyer address the issue next week. It really isn't rocket science. Fill your team with players that don't score goals and you don't score goals!

It could have been worse....he could have played Prately as well !!! (As he has been doing recently)
  • Options

I mean seriously why would anyone turn down a big offer like that to stay at our basket case .

I say again he's 21. He has 15 years to "make hay". And if being a basket case of a club is a reason for leaving, why did Williams leave Palace to join us.

Yes I agree I am a knob. But I stand by my comments. Better a knob than a greedy bastard.
    15 years? Seriously? He might never get another chance like this to make a move like this - plenty of footballers are one season wonders and not find that form again. He might get a serious injury too. He might also do so well during the next few months that, when Huddersfield get relegated, another PL club will come in for him.

Absolutely nothing in certain in football so if the guy can sign a contract for much more money on a longer term contract at a higher level who can seriously blame him?

And if you still question his loyalty, ask yourself how many players next season will have been in the first team for more than 2 years? I would be extremely surprised if you come up with more than one - and he's only still with us because he would fail a medical. So why should Grant be any different?

• Options

It could have been worse....he could have played Prately as well !!! (As he has been doing recently)
    I don't think that would have been worse. Prately has more goals in him. Not loads, but when you are missing goals in one area you have to put them in others!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I don't think that would have been worse. Prately has more goals in him. Not loads, but when you are missing goals in one area you have to put them in others!
    Prately sounds a lot posher that Pratley, I bet he runs around with his little pinkie out...
  • Options

It was a (potentially)once in a lifetime oppotunity for him to hit the jackpot financially.

I now understand his reasons for joining Huddersfield. As you say, it was a once in a lifetime opportunity to earn some money because quite frankly he isn't ever going to play in the Premiership long term....he just isn't that good. Good enough for league one & boy could we do with him in our league one side.....but Premiership ?? You're having a laugh.

That's why it's all down to money. He knows he is "stealing a living" playing in The Premiership & jumped at the chance because he knew no other top tier club would ever think of buying a 3rd tier player with just one good (half) season under their belts.

And for context.....his income, even with us, would have been around 4 x the national average. So....at age 21 I think he has already "hit the jackpot".
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

Prately sounds a lot posher that Pratley, I bet he runs around with his little pinkie out...
    In this weather I would be very surprised.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    L

I now understand his reasons for joining Huddersfield. As you say, it was a once in a lifetime opportunity to earn some money because quite frankly he isn't ever going to play in the Premiership long term....he just isn't that good. Good enough for league one & boy could we do with him in our league one side.....but Premiership ?? You're having a laugh.

That's why it's all down to money. He knows he is "stealing a living" playing in The Premiership & jumped at the chance because he knew no other top tier club would ever think of buying a 3rd tier player with just one good (half) season under their belts.

And for context.....his income, even with us, would have been around 4 x the national average. So....at age 21 I think he has already "hit the jackpot".
    I doubt he’d put it quite like that. He’s only 21 and probably feels he’s improving. Which he is.
  • Options
    Nice friendly club and good to feel the warmth of the sun in the first half. That's the positives. Disjointed performance but the Marshall incident was bizarre. 4 fellows were singing Igor Igor non stop for about 15 mins which in the end sounded like they were taking the piss out of him. This didn't stop even when IV sat down and Pratley and Marshall started warming up. Drink may have been taken. Next thing l know Marshall calling one of these blokes a prick threatening to do him outside and all sorts. A word out place to a disgruntled winger?A misunderstanding? Or something more serious? No idea but the bloke was led away. Strange thing was the fellow was let back in for the 2nd half sat near me with the other three and thèy seemed like 4 normal bloles watching the footy with barely a peak out of them.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Looking on the bright side we won't finish in the bottom 4 with 54 points.

Beyond that I'm struggling.

Yeah, but look ahead a little. If don't get up coupled with so many players who could leave at the end of the season we may be struggling in the bottom 4 this time next year - that's a definite if the Belgian one is still here.
  • Options

LB probably 'sold' Charlton to Williams - club going for promotion etc. etc. So, I say- again-I do not blame Grant for leaving, I wouldn't blame ANY player from leaving the club while it's being run by a headcase who cares not a jot about me, you, Grant or Charlton!
  • Options
    I think we all should start to lower our expectations a tad. The last few games have been a reality check, we are also runs in this league and will be continue to be so all the time we have this state of flux at our club.
    The past week we have been unable to keep hold of our young striker,(I cannot blame him at all for going), replaced him with a player not good enough for another team in our league and add to that we have a squad full of soon to be out of contract players.
    LB has done well to keep us where we are but yesterday’s performance was not much of a surprise for me and probably most. It looks like we are treading water rather than taking part in a competition.