Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fleetwood v Charlton 2/2/19 - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    Leuth said:

Fosu gave us spark when he came on. One of Bowyer's worst decisions yet was not to start him IMO

This times a million.
  • Options

That had been coming.

Poor v Accrington with Grant and Taylor. Poor v Peterborough with Grant.
    Poor today with neither.

Our midfield just isn't doing it for me.
    Williams has talent but doesn't seem to impact, Ditto Reeves.

Season isn't over but we look average and easy to stop right now and Taylor alone isn't the reason.

Thankfully Pompey and Posh look even worse but Sunderland, Luton and Barnsley look miles ahead of us.

Oh, and no we won't miss Grant, easy to replace! the

Aribo is the biggest reason. Not convinced at all by Williams yet. Certainly I don’t think we can carry both him and Reeves in the same team too similar and while both are tidy I’m not sure either does enough consistently. Today they both did fuck all and should’ve been hooked for Fosu and Marshall at half time.

We have to get more pace and width into the team now Grant is gone and Parker and Igor both score a lot of goals from headers.
  • Options

That was a real lame performance , summed up by Purringtons pathetic chipped cross straight in to the keepers arms at the end when a drilled low and hard cross was what was required .

Vetokele (please no one spell it Ventokele ) looked quite lively when he came on .

Philips done well apart from one horrendous mix up that led to a good chance being missed by Evans who looked a class above .

I dread to think of the difference in wage bills of our final 11 (before the BFG was sent off) on the pitch and fleetwoods .

it's a shit league so play offs should still be made but i'm not asconvinced about promotion as i was a month ago .

millwall 5 points from relegation and safe
    palace 7 points from relegation and safe

what a time to be a Charlton fan

Been like that for four years now, I'm getting used to it. Won't change until you-know-who goes and then whoever replaces him won't be able to do much regarding strengthening the team until next season. So, we go with what we got. Exciting no?
  • Options

addick05 said:

Let's be honest, what did anyone really expect? One goal in three games and Taylor out next week, BFG red card.... gets better and better don't it?

Only good thing about the Bauer red card is that Bielik can play Centre Back next week... Hopefully means that him and Cullen can stop trying to show who is best at sitting in front of the defence as at the moment its our Gerrard or Lampard issue and question if they can play alongside each other
    I was thinking that. We can be a bit more offensive. The only way I am going next week is if Bowyer names his team and we have Parker and Fosu starting, Ridiculous to have a team with no goalscorers in it and not even trying to inject some goal threat. I know it isn't easy, but you have to try something.
  • Options
    RobRob
    edited February 2019
    That was awful. Worst performance of the season. The ridiculous mid season transfer window has done us. That and Taylor's red card. Back to the drawing board for Bowyer. I'm not sure where we go from here.

The pitch was bad and also seemed small (was it?). Everything seemed so cramped out there. We couldn't find any space to move. The worst performance of the season by a long chalk. Call it Robinson-isque. I feel for the fans who went all the way up there.

It seemed the transfer window had just deflated a few people. We had no spark today.

The reality is, with our tosspot owner about, things will never change.

A very depressing day at the office!
  • Options
    Not going to be a popular comment here but can someone tell me what Fosu did when he came on? - Yes he ran at their defence but there was no end product apart from one shot always going over and one over hit pass to Williams (?)

He's too predictable as the rest of the time the Fleetwood players would only have to stand their ground to stop him - The Fosu of old would have danced through them to get on goal or would have won a free kick

Dont think he put them on the back foot either as they had the goal so were doing what most teams do at this level by dropping deep in numbers and forcing us to try and break them down
  • Options
    Can’t believe I paid a fiver to watch that toilet. No urgency at all. Finally had a bit of a go for the last 10 minutes, BFG’s sending off looked harsh. Parker didn’t Inspire. I hope he improves. Fosu looked lovely after coming on, as did Igor. Other than that we just looked deflated.

LB needed to field a more attacking line up from the start. We were playing Fleetwood ffs. Fair play to the travelling fans who had that shit served up.
  • Options
    Dreadful performance from a dreadful looking first XI

No width, attacking intent and purpose, no strength and no cunning, just constant sideways football between a bunch of midgets
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Miserable game, largely toothless up front, but also sloppy at the back. Dodgy refereeing too, incredibly harsh red for Bauer.
  • Options
    He ran at their defence - that is important. When they realised we had no offensive threat they increasingly pushed forwards. Reeko is a fancy dan and a piece of cake to defend against.
  • Options
    Think we're due a few bad results after the last few performances plus losing Grant.

Williams so far doesn't seem to be doing much. Need to get back to playing two up front. Fosu needs to start more as well
  • Options
    Bowyers post match comments will be interesting. Difficult to avoid the conclusion that this was a game we should have won with Grant and perhaps the additional striker we should have had.
  • Options

He ran at their defence - that is important. When they realised we had no offensive threat they increasingly pushed forwards. Reeko is a fancy dan and a piece of cake to defend against.

He still needs to massively improve on his final ball though for me - Funnily when he joined I saw similarities between Fosu and Grant, the former needs to find the confidence that Karlan found for me as its seriously gone missing

Am not trying to dig him out either as really want us to get the Tariqe back that we had last season as he's certainly got potential
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Ref seemed content with Williams being kicked in the head in the first half then started waving cards with abandon. Wasn’t even convinced he was going to give the second yellow for Bauer as a free-kick.

Thought we fell away badly after half-time and Solly had a bit of a nightmare. All very predictable without either striker:
  • Options
    Hard too to avoid the conclusion that the side look demoralised and there only looks like more bad news to come....
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    I agree, but when you have no threat, at least you need to try to inject some threat. Fosu provided more threat than any other player bar Taylor who did ok for me. Reeves was dire btw.
  • Options

Bowyers post match comments will be interesting. Difficult to avoid the conclusion that this was a game we should have won with Grant and perhaps the additional striker we should have had.

He was honest when he said that unlike other teams we werent given the money from the Karlan sale (a clear sign that Roland just pocketed it) - think thats what he'd focus on if asked about that line
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Hard too to avoid the conclusion that the side look demoralised and there only looks like more bad news to come....

@Cardinal Sin more bad news? Are you talking about more lost games coming up or something different?
  • Options
    My feelings on the matter? Just listen to the opening line of Ian Dury’s Plaistow Patricia.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    At all levels of football, you have players that can score goals and players that can't. We have relied on a strikeforce that compensated for a midfield full of talent (for this level) but with no goals in them players. When those players are not available, not sure how you might think players that are clearly not scorers are going to score! It isn't perfect, but players that have the potential to get a goal or two were sitting on the bench! Not saying they were brilliant options, but the Fleetwood goal was coming when they realised we were no threat. Hacket-Fairchild is a fancy lay off merchant with no spark. Sorry, but its true at this moment in time.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    When Taylor comes back we will be a threat again as long as we can keep him on the pitch. Bauer being sent off is actually a bonus as midfield needs Fosu in it. A win next week is 50/50 - then we get Taylor back!
  • Options
    Interesting fact on the commentary today, I think I remember correctly that after losing Grant, Taylor and Aribo, the team today had 8 goals in them from 150 appearances!!
  • Options

Interesting fact on the commentary today, I think I remember correctly that after losing Grant, Taylor and Aribo, the team today had 8 goals in them from 150 appearances!!

Exactly. Actually I'm surprised it was that many.