Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

smoking in pubs - 2 weeks left

what measures have your local pubs put in place for the ban?

i'm (probably) in the minority in that i'm a non smoker against the ban. most of my drinking mates smoke and if they disappear en masse into the garden every 20 mins it will have an adverse effect on my night.
don't get me wrong i don't like going home clothes and hair stinking of smoke, and hate the rudeness of people smoking whilst others eat nearby.
i think the restrictions could've been brought in for certain areas of bars and pubs forced to have proper air conditioning systems.
as for the 'it works in other countries/cities' argument, i've heard reports that it has worked very well in some places, i've heard reports of bars closing down because of loss of trade and also heard that there are certain places thriving because they have totally ignored the ban.

Comments

• Options
    My local has spent a small fortune on their patio area and heaters.

Great for the smokers- not so good for global warming.
  • Options
    mine aer putting a car port over a small benched area, though it will be easier just to stand outside the front where there are benches.

me and my mate lit up 8 times between us in a non-smoking pub last thursday. Its going to take a bit of getting used to....
  • Options
    wheres that lid gone that was keeping my worms in a can??

i can't bloody wait for it as a non smoker but hardly any of my mates smoke (apart from a few of the Bugle Clique (TM)) which is different for you pbs.
  • Options
    what about pubs/bars without exterior license or land?

reckon there will be a lot of places shutting.

i mean...does it apply to clubs and venues?? I can't see clubs/venus like (off the top of my head) brixton academy, zens, the venue etc doing very well as there are no external areas? i know non smokers won't care, but sure it limits people's options?

won't make a difference to me. i'm giving up, and even if i wasn't, i can go for ages without one, but still.....it will be interesting. especially when smokers corner outside a pub gets told off for blowing smoke onto the external bbq serving food to alfresco eaters!
  • Options
    Any public enclosed space suze.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]wheres that lid gone that was keeping my worms in a can??

i can't bloody wait for it as a non smoker but hardly any of my mates smoke (apart from a few of the Bugle Clique (TM)) which is different for you pbs.

thats a point regards the bugle.
    the police insist that people must drink inside the pub on certain match days (may be depending on how they grade the game).
    could be a problem for them.
  • Options
    will they not be able to go out the back of the bugle in the car park? im surprised the landlord isnt making that a garden or something. They are having a "Death of the English pub" party with a smoking DJ on the 30th. obviously got the hump about it.
  • Options
    but not prison cells as they are not classed as public spaces. So get yourself banged up and smoke away to your heart's content (assuming you can trade for some snout with whatever you have to offer)

I can see a lot of out of the way pubs/working mens clubs ignoring this rule and so winning some trade back from the big chains.

I'm not a smoker so will be pleased to be able to eat in pub and take the boy in as well but I accept that pubs are smokey places and while I hate coming home stinking of fags I know that when I go in.

In the long term I guess it will reduce smoking across the population and that has to be a good thing.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I can see a lot of out of the way pubs/working mens clubs ignoring this rule and so winning some trade back from the big chains.
    I've got a feeling these will be targetted more so than the bigger chains. Also, the fines (or whatever the punishment is) will impact these type of establishments far more. is it worth taking a risk on your livelihood for the sake of cigarettes or do you pull in enough money from smokers to cover yourself?

Big question for these independant landpeople (see how PC i am!!)
  • Options
    There will be a reduction in people who would normally go to the pub who smoke,people who smoke will probably get cheap drinks from the supermarket/local store and drink at home.The pub will survive by offering a better slection of food and a better range of wines for it's new punters who tend to stay away.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Back in the days when pubs shut in the afternoon abd at 11.00pm (yes, you youngsters that really used to happen) you could always find a pub that would have a "locky" so you could drink all PM or all night if you wanted to. Police must have known but let it go for whatever reason.

Agree with Badger that pubs will have to offer more and better food and wine/coffee/tea etc to bring people in. Not such as bad thing but I do like an old fashioned pub that is just a pub that sells beer.
  • Options
    Life Nightclub in Sittingbourne opened a Fire Exit on Saturday night I'd imagine that will become the Nightclub smokers verader for want of a better desciption. This ban though is presenting me with my best ever opportunity to quit so I will be, after I come back from Ibiza July 10th..!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]will they not be able to go out the back of the bugle in the car park? im surprised the landlord isnt making that a garden or something. They are having a "Death of the English pub" party with a smoking DJ on the 30th. obviously got the hump about it.

they have to lock the back door for certain games because of the police not letting people drink outside. i would think if he fenced the car park in he may get away with it as he could control the home season ticket only policy.
    i can see it being a nightmare for landlords on matchdays as the police usually visit the pubs beforehand (though is it the local authority who enforce the smoking ban?)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Life Nightclub in Sittingbourne opened a Fire Exit on Saturday night I'd imagine that will become the Nightclub smokers verader for want of a better desciption. This ban though is presenting me with my best ever opportunity to quit so I will be, after I come back from Ibiza July 10th..!
    Saw another couple of clubs closed for a month Kets because of drugs. Amnesia was one i think
  • Options
    Earlier on this year I used to play poker in the pub but stopped going as I often stuck between two chimneys. Hopefully I'll start going again when the smoking ban comes in.
  • Options
    Went to Cork a month or so ago, Pubs felt very strange because mentally you connect them with a smell of beer and fags and they smelt of beer and food very off putting. Sat in a pub in the centre of town on a Friday lunch time, me and my colleagues where the only people drinking alchohol everyone else in there was eating and drinking tea/coffee soft drinks it was an almost surreal experience given the rep of the Irish. Smoking outside is hardly a big issue even in mid winter you just do it less.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    In the UK & Ireland, England is the very last to adopt a no smoking ban. Scotland has had a ban, I believe, since April last year. A month ago, I was in Fort William and Glasgow - and of all the pubs, cafes and a couple of restaurants I went to, I never saw one person try to flout the no smoking ban. Sure, there would be 2 or 3 at a time outside a pub doorway but the others just passively went outside the back where there there was a gazebo/verandah and the ubiquitous patio heater. No one complained - they would just say, "I'm going out for a smoke, coming?" in the same tone as people say that they're going for a pee.

No complaint at all.

It was exactly the same when I was in Dublin 2 years ago. And in New York you were fined on the spot if even caught smoking in the street - but on many side streets they got round it by having an old yellow school bus (just like you see in old American films) and charged a dollar for 15 minutes smoking time. How's that for entrepreneurial spirit?

Many Weatherspoons have been no-smoking for some time. In my local villages some pubs are already no smoking, others have a smoke free area around the bar, and others are in the process of adapting their outside space for smokers. A couple of publicans are spouting they will defy the ban but they know they'll be fined £1,000 (rising to £2,500 if prosecuted in court) each time if somebody is caught smoking in their pub.

And many non-smokers who presently will not go into pubs are saying they'll go back to using pubs once the ban is in force.

If the rest of the UK is any measure, no-smoking inside pubs in England will be considered normal within a few months.
  • Options
    I think it's an outrageous liberty that all started about ten years ago (approx) when a barmaid complained that the smoke was affecting her health. Fair enough but at what point did she believe working behind a bar in a pub would NOT be in a smokey environment? She got weighed out some money so everyone else jumped on the bandwagon of suing employers. Factories etc I can understand but surely pubs and smoke go hand in hand??

Now think what a back street pub will smell of now. I'll tell you what. Farts.

Smoke kills nearly every other odour, including the rectal leakage of some 60 year old man who's been on the stout all day. Which is more damaging for your health? I know which I'd rather smell at any rate.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite] Now think what a back street pub will smell of now. I'll tell you what. Farts.

LOL!!!

And at this time of day that is no mean achievement
  • Options
    They start early in Medway Stan ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The jokes, or "rectal leakage"??
  • Options
    Both.

A mate of mine when at a family funeral was talking to a relative he hadn't seen for a while who informed him he hadn't been well. What's been the matter? Inquired Ray. 'Rectal abscess' came the reply.

Ray burst out laughing. Loud.

I have no idea if this is truth or not but the way he tells it leads me to believe it is. The timing just seems a bit too good to be true.
  • Options
    lol carter
  • Options
    urgh to much talk of rectal problems.

but you're right apparently the nightclubs in ireland /scotland stink of farts and vomit and b.o. Beautiful... glad im too old to go clubbing.
  • Options
    Well done anti-smoking lobbyists.

I'd rather smell smoke than any of the smells that B mentioned.

Hippies
  • Options
    They got it right in Spain. They have a sign saying "Smoking is permitted in this establishment" or "Smoking is not permitted in this establishment" You then get the choice of whether you go in or not.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]Well done anti-smoking lobbyists.

I'd rather smell smoke than any of the smells that B mentioned.

Hippies

Then that's down to those pubs being rubbish. Most no smoking pubs in London i've been in just simply don't smell of anything, and that's how the vast majority are going to be apart from those run by people that don't care what their pub smells like.

It should of happened years ago.
  • Options
    should have :-)
  • Options
    so that's who he meant!
  • Options
    Oggy Red,

"No complaint at all".

I don't wander around complaining all day about the speed limit being 70mph, because it is the law and there is no choice in the matter. The idea of something being a success because we are forced to accept it is ridiculous, of course it is a "success", if they banned people from walking on the cracks in the pavement it would be a success if you knew you were going to get fined for doing it.

I also take issue on the non-smokers going to pubs bullshit.

1) They will go "back" to pubs, inference being that at sometime in the past they were regular pub goers, when more people smoked than now, then suddenly stopped because they noticed the smoke. Not true, they never went to pubs in the first place.

2) In New York, Ireland and Scotland takings plummeted, the swathes of anti-smokers, deprived of their god given right to have a booze up in a smoke free environment did not actually turn up when they got their chance. It is all self rightous bullshit. Those kind of people pop into their local on Christmas day for a sherry or two, and then you don't see their arse for another year. Pubs don't need their business, they need the traditional mainstay of pubs - the regular boozer, who is more often than not, a smoker. Those people keep pubs alive for when Mr. Clean wants his sherry.

The government claim it is following public opinion, firstly their own survey showed only 20% of people in favour of a total ban, secondly why should the opinion of people who don't go to pubs be taken into account? I don't go to church, so I don't expect to be consulted on what they get up to, even if I do pop in once a year or so for a christening or a wedding.

On another note, what is going to happen with films and TV? Anyone wanting to make a drama that looks real - ie with some people smoking - will have to go abroad to film indoor scenes, therefore depriving British based production crew of a job!