Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jeremy Hardy RIP

2»

Comments

• Options
    Personally never found him very funny, a bit too cynical and political for my liking.
  • Options
    RIP Jeremy
  • Options
    I liked him. Not my politics but had a way of putting things that at least made you give some consideration to his point of view.
    And excelllent on ISIHAC.

RIP
  • Options
    RIP, I hope he is now seated at the right hand of the father, cracking him up!
  • Options
    Halix said:

Personally never found him very funny, a bit too cynical and political for my liking.

Fair enough. I do think the RIP threads should be able to accommodate critical opinions.
  • Options
    At his best when being political. RIP
  • Options

Even if you didn't like his politics, I challenge anyone to listen to 'Hallelujah' in the style of George Formby and not laugh.

http://isihac.net/jeremy-hardy/

Absolute genius. Thank you for posting that link.
  • Options
    I liked him enormously, funny, with his political stance exposed with irony and wit and a degree of bewildered self-deprecation.

Once saw him live at the studio space at Catford Broadway Theatre. he was doing his thing all very nice and then suddenly asked the assembled throng:

'Anybody ever wanked into a sock'?

Slight laughter and uncertainty, then with immaculate timing after his face surveyed the audience he said:

'It must just be me then'.

Good stuff.

RIP Jeremy. Miles too young and a loss to all of us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Moving tribute from Miles Jupp before TNQ this evening. His voice was trembling with emotion for a very dear friend.
  • Options

bobmunro said:

Moving tribute from Miles Jupp before TNQ this evening. His voice was trembling with emotion for a very dear friend.

As far as tributes I can pay to him, The News Quiz and I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue are both genuine British comedy, and cultural institutions. In the years I have been listening to both, which go back to my childhood, when anywhere I went in the house Radio 4 seemed to be playing, and have continued even now I live outside the UK, both those shows were nearly always funniest when Jeremy Hardy was on them.

He really is such a sad loss and I shall truly miss his presence on those, and other, shows.
    You said what I think about him.

Thank you.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Jeremy Hardy was the funniest man on radio. Was he a political comedians, too right he was, sorry I meant too left he was.

The main reason I would listen to the news quiz was Jeremy Hardy, though Miles Jupp is funny as well.

Hardy was a Labour activist and went to the same causes as Corben and McDonnell, hence why they became such buddies.
    As Jack Dee said this did effect his TV work which dropped off in the last 15 years when he seems to become persona non grata while other alleged comedians got the gigs on main time TV panel shows.

A funny intelligent caring man, what ever your politics are.

RIP.
  • Options

Even if you didn't like his politics, I challenge anyone to listen to 'Hallelujah' in the style of George Formby and not laugh.

http://isihac.net/jeremy-hardy/

Hadn't heard that, thanks, it was very funny.
  • Options
    very witty and thought provoking man. loved his monologues on the state of the country. Politically he struck a chord with me on the majority of his views. will be a real miss on the News Quiz. RIP
  • Options
    Halix said:

Whatever you thought of Jeremy he seemed very genuine in his beliefs and his cynicism was certainly warranted. Some very nice and warm tributes to him - a decent man.
  • Options
    He was a big fan and friend of the funniest woman I've ever heard, Linda Smith. She died of cancer aged 48, 12 years ago, another great loss for the News Quiz. If there is a heaven, and I'm sure neither of them believed in it, I hope they will be happily reunited.
  • Options
    Someone I know posted that JH was "possibly the only person to use the term anarcho-syndicalist" in a comedy routine with a sense of what it meant.

I think I remember that moment - he was riffing on the state of the country and how the media always reported the negative: so it would be rail strikes as bad news for commuters : he turned it around - rail strikes! Good news for anarcho-syndicalists.
  • Options
    rananegra said:

Someone I know posted that JH was "possibly the only person to use the term anarcho-syndicalist" in a comedy routine with a sense of what it meant.

I think I remember that moment - he was riffing on the state of the country and how the media always reported the negative: so it would be rail strikes as bad news for commuters : he turned it around - rail strikes! Good news for anarcho-syndicalists.

I always assumed he used the phrase anarcho-syndicalists in part as a tribute to this scene...

https://youtu.be/R7qT-C-0ajI
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

A very intelligent comedian who always seemed to think deeply before speaking and meant every syllable,without being
    malicious or intimidating his audience to laugh with the currency of boring,dull and over-used rubbish like so many others. Step forward any number of so-called comedians,male and female,who think a loud voice and their own ego will carry them through. Hardy was a genuinely funny man and always made people laugh,usually at the end of a serious commentary on a pet subject of his. I know he seemed very distressed at Linda Smith's passing a few years ago,another comedian who spoke truthfully but with great humour and used thinking as her main focus and not ranting,tedious material which many comedians think is so much funnier than it ever will be.I'm not a left-wing supporter but he did so much for the causes he believed in and is to be applauded for doing so in such a heartfelt and genuine way.Wasn't carving some niche for himself but gave more weight to resolving and highlighting people's daily struggles.
    Such a young age to pass. He was deprived of the joy of being a real curmudgeon in later life,unable to exploit what would have been his new-found old-age licence to moan about everything in life but in such a humorous and sensitive way.
    My thoughts to his family on a tragic loss.
    RIP.

As someone who isn't old enough to collect his state pension but was old enough to get his works pension after taking redundancy I have in the last 4 years performed spoken word/poetry/prose in all parts of London at various venues from 6 people and one dog to 120 at a venue in Hampstead.

I perform light and dark, I will never be in Jeremy Hardy's class but it's so cathartic and the worse thing that can happen is the audience think you are a cockwomble.
    You only get 5 minutes unless you are featured where you will get 15 but
    I personally enjoy putting my head above the keyboard bunker parapet.

No one is safe from my curmudgeonly take on life, even Mother Teresa or David Beckham ! I'm very left field.
  • Options

A very intelligent comedian who always seemed to think deeply before speaking and meant every syllable,without being
    malicious or intimidating his audience to laugh with the currency of boring,dull and over-used rubbish like so many others. Step forward any number of so-called comedians,male and female,who think a loud voice and their own ego will carry them through. Hardy was a genuinely funny man and always made people laugh,usually at the end of a serious commentary on a pet subject of his. I know he seemed very distressed at Linda Smith's passing a few years ago,another comedian who spoke truthfully but with great humour and used thinking as her main focus and not ranting,tedious material which many comedians think is so much funnier than it ever will be.I'm not a left-wing supporter but he did so much for the causes he believed in and is to be applauded for doing so in such a heartfelt and genuine way.Wasn't carving some niche for himself but gave more weight to resolving and highlighting people's daily struggles.
    Such a young age to pass. He was deprived of the joy of being a real curmudgeon in later life,unable to exploit what would have been his new-found old-age licence to moan about everything in life but in such a humorous and sensitive way.
    My thoughts to his family on a tragic loss.
    RIP.

As someone who isn't old enough to collect his state pension but was old enough to get his works pension after taking redundancy I have in the last 4 years performed spoken word/poetry/prose in all parts of London at various venues from 6 people and one dog to 120 at a venue in Hampstead.

I perform light and dark, I will never be in Jeremy Hardy's class but it's so cathartic and the worse thing that can happen is the audience think you are a cockwomble.
    You only get 5 minutes unless you are featured where you will get 15 but
    I personally enjoy putting my head above the keyboard bunker parapet.

No one is safe from my curmudgeonly take on life, even Mother Teresa or David Beckham ! I'm very left field.
    Respect
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    iainment said:

Halix said:

Fair enough. I do think the RIP threads should be able to accommodate critical opinions.
    So do I, but I can’t add mine due to this...

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/84579/admin-moderation-update-please-read#latest

• Options
    RIP