Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Josh Parker - discussion of CharltonTV appearance p19

Comments

• Options

Good variety of goals in this clip including one at the valley, and a surprising amount of headers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sc87iG6L7t4

That was pretty much the last time Lord Naby has ever really screwed up for a goal. Helping his future teammate
  • Options

I'm surprised from the players point of you he would accept only a 6 months contract. Was he to be out of contract at Gillingham at end of season ?

Yes he was.
  • Options
    Well done to Gallen, Bowyer, JJ and Parkes because I have a feeling this sounds so left field that Josh Parker was way down the list 24 hours ago and because of other knock backs he emerged. To accept a six month contract, Josh's present contract must be up in the summer.
  • Options
    Think he'll be a good foil for Taylor.
  • Options
    Wonder if it was what enabled Gillingham to take Holmes on loan - i.e. Parker was never going to really command a fee that anyone would pay with his contract, by taking that over its freed up the cash to bring someone in to get crosses in for Eaves
  • Options
    Best of luck Josh - you're going to need it, what with all the naysayers.
  • Options

Wonder if it was what enabled Gillingham to take Holmes on loan - i.e. Parker was never going to really command a fee that anyone would pay with his contract, by taking that over its freed up the cash to bring someone in to get crosses in for Eaves

Probably but Holmes is meant to be out injured for another month or so.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:

Good variety of goals in this clip including one at the valley, and a surprising amount of headers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sc87iG6L7t4

That was pretty much the last time Lord Naby has ever really screwed up for a goal. Helping his future teammate
    I think DaSilva not tracking him at all really helped after Naby tackled their player putting the ball on Kashi's side of their player and Kashi pulled away from making the challenge.

A bit of an all out defensive shit house that day... No idea who Pearce was marking.
  • Options

Rob7Lee said:

Don’t really know anything about him but logic tells me that Bowyer/ Gallen rate him / have chose him over Ricky Holmes.

Would those unhappy have been happier if we had announced Holmes?

. If they rated him so highly why a 6 month contract? I
    Because in footballing terms it’s a short term fill. At a wider level we have a business that loses £500-600k a month, that the owner is looking to sell, and one way of making it more attractive is to reduce overheads / medium term commitments as much as possible. As a journeyman, Parker is unlikely to increase in valuation so there is little strategic gain in committing him for longer, imo
    Spot on
  • Options

I'm surprised from the players point of you he would accept only a 6 months contract. Was he to be out of contract at Gillingham at end of season ?

Yes.
  • Options

Rob7Lee said:

Don’t really know anything about him but logic tells me that Bowyer/ Gallen rate him / have chose him over Ricky Holmes.

Would those unhappy have been happier if we had announced Holmes?

. If they rated him so highly why a 6 month contract? I
    Because in footballing terms it’s a short term fill. At a wider level we have a business that loses £500-600k a month, that the owner is looking to sell, and one way of making it more attractive is to reduce overheads / medium term commitments as much as possible. As a journeyman, Parker is unlikely to increase in valuation so there is little strategic gain in committing him for longer, imo
    I don't disagree with the first part, but thats sort of my point, come the summer the club is going to be in all sorts of a mess if RD still owns us and the players out of contract leave, Bowyer if he gets a contract renewed will have to build almost an entire squad, with likely zero money.

I don't think reducing overheads by having next to no players will assist any sale.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Best of luck Josh - you're going to need it, what with all the naysayers.

He’s going to need some anyway. They’ll be an expectation even from positive fans that we want to be at Wembley at May and he is here to help that happen.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Karlan with an ability to not score.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Information on Josh Parker:
    When he was on loan at Aberdeen in 2016 he was on Come dine with me.

He had played 79 games in last two seasons so is a fit lad who is strong.

Played for Cafc on trial in u23 match and scored in 2016.
  • Options
    Better than I thought we'd get which was nowt.

There is definitely a bit of talent (at league 1 level) there but he is injury prone according to a Gillingham fan I know who rates him otherwise.

This fan says that he (Parker) wants to play regularly and that Steve Lovell seems to prefer our old player, Hanlon, or Lyst to partner Eaves. The question is why Lovell, a good judge of a striker, prefers others.

Wait and see I guess. At his best can definitely offer something I think.

That positivity does not mean I wouldn't have kept Grant given the choice.

• Options
    28 year old striker. Will people never learn?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

28 year old striker. Will people never learn?

How old is Lyle Taylor, do you reckon? :smile:
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Definitely played predominantly as a striker this season...

Played as Games, Goals, Assists
    Centre-Forward 11,1,1
    Attacking Midfield 6,2,0
    Left Winger 2,1,0
  • Options
    I reckon he will do well with Taylor, just a shame Taylor won’t be available for another 4 games of the season most likely.

If Vetokele has any boots left from his start season, better get Reeco to clean them for him.
  • Options
    I hope he replicates his form from last season rather than this
  • Options
    There was an interesting interview from last year:
    https://www.metro.news/josh-parker-making-up-for-lost-time-at-gillingham-after-his-red-star-nightmare/1330575/

This fella's been through a hard time, that perhaps would have broken some people ...... it seems it's been character building for him.

I've got a hunch this could be right time, right place for Josh Parker ..... Steve Gallen seems to believe in him. The player's obviously got a decent level of ability, the right work ethic and perhaps the type of character and determination that Bowyer expects.

He's the same age as Taylor, bit of a late developer also.
    You never know, it could be a partnership that bears fruit. We shall see.

• Options
    Lemons?
  • Options

Aside from me having a moan about the lack of signings, when I saw this pop up on twitter I was actually pretty happy with it.

I can only base it on one game cause it's only the one time I've watched him and it was this season against Gills at home when they were without Eaves. I expected a routine win for us but I thought that was a pretty good game and he was their stand out player for me along with their big goalie Holy. He seemed very quick and got the ball moving well and had good close control.

Any ifollow game I watch I usually record so being the saddo that I am if I have the game on my pc I'll cut out all his bits during the game where he looked decent and make a little montage out of it, just so people can see how he did against us cause I doubt many remember by the looks of twitter.

I feel like this is a Bowyer signing, deffo seems to fit into a Bowyer team more than Clarke would have and it's hardly a risk. The disappointing part of the evening is that we didn't manage Eisa cause I have thought for a while he would have been the player we needed to cover our lack of a pacey winger who can beat a man.

Ah well, good luck Parker and welcome to Charlton, couple of good games and people will forget the negative comments they made in a hurry

That video of the goals he scored last season made me feel slightly more optimistic than before, but it's a massive ask for him really, coming in with no Taylor for 2 games, and no Eisa, so there's a lot of pressure on him to hit the ground running.
  • Options
    What position can we expect to see Parker playing on Saturday?
    Steve Gallen gives us a clue:

"I can see him playing alongside Lyle, he’s got pace, he’s strong, he’s physical. He’s got that pace to be a threat in-behind and hurt teams on the break."
  • Options
    Does anyone know if Antigua and Montserrat are deadly local rivals? Would be pretty funny if so