Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Karlan Grant moves to Huddersfield

Comments

• Options

Good luck to him,but I just felt he owed us something for the way the club supported him over the Ibiza incident.,but their again loyalty is a thing of the past.Please can we not lay all of this at Rolands door,we are a third division club and no club(Except Sunderland) could have afforded to turn this down.

Sunderland lost Maja in the window, as a 3rd division club it's virtually impossible to keep hold of players in these situations.

I hope Karlan does well, but to be he's been bang average for most of the time I've seen him. Yes he was young, but Gomez and Lookman were young, and they stood out. Before this season Karlan had scored TWO league goals for us, is this season the "real" Karlan, or is it a "Nicky Ajose one off season" like the one he had at Swindon?
    Even though the amount we got from Liverpool was very low for such a gifted young player in Gomez, the amount for Lookman was higher even though still looks low compared to his next transfer(Inter Milan ?)

Grant fee is very low for a forward going to the Premier for 1.5 million, which reflects that Grant isn't in the same bracket as Gomez and Lookman were, at this point in his career.
    Grants pace is his main asset, plus he is stronger this season.
    I think it's more to do with only having 6 months left on his contract.
    Fair point Stu.
    I wonder what the fee would've been if Grant still had Two years to go ?
    We will never know because of the impassé on the sale of Charlton.
  • Options
    Well I'm amazed that a premier League club have come in for him. He's League One at best and won't get a game in the Championship.

Nonetheless, I wish him the best of luck.
  • Options
    He might score a couple of goals this season as once they are confirmed as relegated they will play with freedom, he will do well in the Championship so long as Huddersfield do ok, if they struggle he will be a bench player, his qualities are best playing in an offensive team.

Good luck to him though, bloody Belgian bafoon is the reason he wasnt on a better contract.
  • Options

Good luck to him,but I just felt he owed us something for the way the club supported him over the Ibiza incident.,but their again loyalty is a thing of the past.Please can we not lay all of this at Rolands door,we are a third division club and no club(Except Sunderland) could have afforded to turn this down.

Sunderland lost Maja in the window, as a 3rd division club it's virtually impossible to keep hold of players in these situations.

I hope Karlan does well, but to be he's been bang average for most of the time I've seen him. Yes he was young, but Gomez and Lookman were young, and they stood out. Before this season Karlan had scored TWO league goals for us, is this season the "real" Karlan, or is it a "Nicky Ajose one off season" like the one he had at Swindon?
    Even though the amount we got from Liverpool was very low for such a gifted young player in Gomez, the amount for Lookman was higher even though still looks low compared to his next transfer(Inter Milan ?)

Grant fee is very low for a forward going to the Premier for 1.5 million, which reflects that Grant isn't in the same bracket as Gomez and Lookman were, at this point in his career.
    Grants pace is his main asset, plus he is stronger this season.
    I think it's more to do with only having 6 months left on his contract.
    And being nowhere near as good as Gomez or Lookman, who both stood out with their touch and control
    If he had two years left on his contract instead of six months, he would’ve gone for 5-6m rather than 1.5m. Teams would have had to pay the premium for a young English goalscorer, as Everton did with Lookman before him.
    I find that hard to imagine. He’s worth a punt to Huddersfield at £1.5m, but his record surely wouldn’t justify a move for three or four times that regardless of his contract.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Well I'm amazed that a premier League club have come in for him. He's League One at best and won't get a game in the Championship.

Nonetheless, I wish him the best of luck.

Won’t get a game? Strange comment to make about someone who’s already got twenty plus Championship appearances to his name!
  • Options
    seems the fans want him to play.

a few comments from Udders fans -

"Now get him in the team, non of this learning our style bollox. Mounie and LDP have had their chances and fluffed their lines."

"Thank fook for that..
    Get him in at Chelsea..
    Bit of pace and movement up front..
    Mounie was his usual slug like self last night..
    My mother could have marked him..and she's dead🤕"

"4-4-2 alongside mounie please and lets go down fighting."

"Im more excited about this signing than any signing made in the summer - interesting comments from Siewert, offering us something different to current options, plays on the shoulder of defenders, looks to run in behind, pacey, natural goal-scorer.

Really nice business speak for what we currently have is rubbish

I think Grant will actually do well and he will be a very good signing"
  • Options
    Mixed feelings but no hard feelings. For Karlan, at least. Good luck. Roland? That's another matter.
  • Options

"Now get him in the team, non of this learning our style bollox. Mounie and LDP have had their chances and fluffed their lines."

"Thank fook for that..
    Get him in at Chelsea..

"Im more excited about this signing than any signing made in the summer - interesting comments from Siewert, offering us something different to current options, plays on the shoulder of defenders, looks to run in behind, pacey, natural goal-scorer.

To fans, the players not playing are always much better than those in the team when the team is struggling! You wonder why the manager doesn't just put all the reserves in and win the league!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    While the club is owned by that arsehole I can't blame anyone for getting out. Shame though, going to a team destined for relegation might not be the best move, but if it was all that was on offer and at a significantly higher wage...
  • Options

Last year it would have been doom and gloom but this year I have a feeling someone will come in. the right someone at that.

It’s not just about skill levels though is it. Strikers form partnerships and have a chemistry with each other just like Grant and Taylor had. It could take a while for any new player to gel with Taylor instead of hitting the ground running.
    completely agreeI just feel Bowyer and Gallen will pull something out of the hat which will be just what we need. I think the days of Sqaure pegs in round holes are gone. Again just a feeling
  • Options
    edited January 2019

For those saying he ain't good enough for the premier league.
    I'm pretty sure they know that.
    What they are doing is preparing a squad for next season in the championship.

There's no reason why Huddersfield can't go straight back up. Fairly well run club, parachute payments, unlikely to lose many players and will be able to outspend their rivals.

Did anyone think Nick Pope was good enough for the Premier League when he left? He used to get slated by most of our fans.
    Its weird but the parachute payments dont seem to have the high re-promotion success rate they had 10-15 years ago (not counting our own failure with them in 07-09!). Blackburn, Sunderland and Bolton have been double relegated in fairly quick succession in recent years.
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:

There's no reason why Huddersfield can't go straight back up. Fairly well run club, parachute payments, unlikely to lose many players and will be able to outspend their rivals.

Did anyone think Nick Pope was good enough for the Premier League when he left? He used to get slated by most of our fans.
    Its weird but the parachute payments dont seem to have the high re-promotion success rate they had 10-15 years ago (not counting our own failure with them in 07-09!). Blackburn, Sunderland and Bolton have been double relegated in fairly quick succession in recent years.
    True - although ownership problems at all of those clubs. Burnley are probably the modern model to follow.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

"Thank fook for that..
    Get him in at Chelsea..

To fans, the players not playing are always much better than those in the team when the team is struggling! You wonder why the manager doesn't just put all the reserves in and win the league!
    But Grant did play and scored 14 goals for us.

That's why we will miss him as well as his runs off the ball, which opened it up for others, and went largely unnoticed in the eagerness to scapegoat him and that was before any transfer talk!
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    CAFCTrev said:

A club which goes up and straight back down again without spending too much will probably do quite well, e.g. Burnley, as their wage bill will be quite low. Clubs who have been up for a while struggle, as they have loads of deadwood on high salaries

FFP seems to be an issue as well
  • Options
    The primary driver in this was his contract position, not I suspect his ability.

He’s worth (in Huddersfield’s eyes) taking a punt at 1.5m. It will be staggered over years, and if he flops they’ll be confident at his age of offloading at Champ level for min 400k 12months on if they wanted out. So any loss in failure will be very little, but the upside potential is huge.

Really not sure how much Huddersfield would have scouted him and doubt their current 1st team manager / coach would have seen him play.
  • Options

During that run at the end of the relegation season, I remember him getting lots of praise on here
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Someone at Charlton deserves a lot of praise for transforming a fast young striker with no confidence, no finishing skills and little footballing sense into a Premiership player worth 1.5 million quid.

I reckon that 'someone' is two ones, Bowyer and Taylor .. incidentally a mate tells me that Grant has bought (or perhaps rents) one of the new houses opposite the Valley in Floyd Road/Harvey Gardens .. is that so ? anyone know (or now care)
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    A quick question to the people complaining about Grants contract situation. When should have Grant been offered and expected to sign a new contract?

He hadn't done a thing to suggest his contract was worth extending before he went to Crawley. If he thought in the summer he would be 3rd or 4th choice behind Taylor and Igor he might not of wanted to sign one, even if it was offered. At that stage he had done nothing to warrent a "key first team" contract on a par with the likes of Taylor.

By the time he had had a run of games and was scoring goals why the hell would he have signed any contract with us before the window?

The best we could of hoped for, as with Aribo, is he was still here on Feb 1st and signed a new contract with a release clause if we don't go up.
  • Options
    Chance to earn good money. Who would turn it down at his age. Good luck but its the normal story for Charlton over the sixty odd years i,ve supported the club.
  • Options
    Disappointing to say the least, at least sell after you have got replacements in. Was hardly a secret.
  • Options
    Hinton said:

Chance to earn good money. Who would turn it down at his age. Good luck but its the normal story for Charlton over the sixty odd years i,ve supported the club.

As shown by your user name - taken in honour, I assume, of the great man Marvin Hinton!
  • Options
    The fact he’s gone is no surprise. Had he been on a longer contract we’d likely have got more, but I reckon we’d have still sold him.

RD scrimps and saves on water and electricity to keep running costs down, he was never going to turn down a 7 figure sum for a player to lessen his running loss.

Good luck to Grant, just hope we bring in a decent replacement although only likely to be a loan would be my guess if anyone at all.
  • Options

braydex said:

so who plays up front now?

Just dusted my boots off
    Top scorer in the league for my school 3 years running and we won the league all 3 years
    Sorry guys just got a phone call, Fulham have heard about me and want me to save their season.

I am grateful to Charlton, Bows and Jacko for the opportunity and the training they have given me this past 2 hours, but I couldnt turn down this opportunity
  • Options
    PWR

bad move for him imo. He had a good 4 months last season in League 2 & a good 6 months this season. £1.5m is a snip for a Premiership team but he wont keep them up & wont score much next season either in the Championship. He would have been better off staying with us & seeing what happens in the summer. Yes, he could have got injured falling over the cat in June & not been able to find a club, but he's 21 ffs !! hardly be on the scrapheap.

This is purely down to money & not footballing reasons. He may get the chance to play against Man U & Liverpool, but he could have signed for Millwall & played then in the Cup (seeing as they usually play Prem teams). 12 months time he'll be loaned out to a League 1 club anyway.

Yep - certainly getting a boo from me when we next come up against him. another Spotty Parker & Defoe.

ABBA song anyone ??