Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Peter Reeves

Comments

• Options

Oggy Red said:

Curtis - Went - Reeves - Warman

Those were the days!

And a couple of years before that, when Eddie Firmani was manager:

Curtis -Went -Reeves -Kinsey.

2-5-6-3

1-11 those were the days
    Is that the result of one of your surveys, Bert?

• Options
    bc_addick said:

One of my first heroes. Knew Reeves as "The Tank"

Graham Moore was The TANK as his nickname with my friends from Charlton.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

I remember Peter Reeves' Mum and Dad used to travel to away games on the Lewis's coach.
    I never met Peter himself - though I saw him play most weeks.

For those who never saw him play, there's plenty of footage on this Match of the Day video that Blucher posted yesterday:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=6&v=wAVjXM043aA

''Over there and do they smell....like fucking hell''....a bit before my time but enjoyed watching that.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Great player for us and is he really 70? He started and finished so young.

For the benefit of the youngsters: Chris Solly at his best is probably the closest recent player we've had to Peter.

That's great comparison, but Reevse was even harder!! One of my favourite players.

• Options

Oggy Red said:

Those were the days!

2-5-6-3

1-11 those were the days
    That's some formation
  • Options
    Probably the hardest man to put on the Charlton top. Wouldn't last 15 minutes in todays non contact game.
    Think he now lives in Spain ...
  • Options

bc_addick said:

I could have sworn Reeves was the TANK but Graham Moore would have fitted the description too so I could be wrong.
  • Options

bc_addick said:

But what a footballer. Never seem to remember him run anywhere, but for a big man he had a great first touch and his passing was outstanding.

• Options
    I used to watch the team train down at The Valley (often on a cinder pitch) during the school holidays. I was there once when they were getting on a coach for an away game and were all suited and booted and i was very impressed i seem to remember with Peter Reeve's holdall with was, like him very smart.

Fondly remember the back five of Wright- Curtis -Went -Reeves -Kinsey.

Cant believe that he is 70 where have the years gone.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Oggy Red said:

Those were the days!

2-5-6-3

1-11 those were the days
    That's some formation
    Haha...I was having to look bak at that,I thought formation till I then added it up...doh...!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bc_addick said:

bc_addick said:

I could have sworn Reeves was the TANK but Graham Moore would have fitted the description too so I could be wrong.
    Yeah, skipper Graham Moore was quite a unit.

Reeves was quite slightly built for a central defender ..... but wiry and deceptively strong, quick and determined in the tackle.
  • Options
    Great player for Charlton, unlike most here though, i wouldn't have said that he played at the back. My memories are of a tough tackling, man marking left half, in today's line up left midfield would say.
  • Options

Great player for Charlton, unlike most here though, i wouldn't have said that he played at the back. My memories are of a tough tackling, man marking left half, in today's line up left midfield would say.

Not really. He's best remembered playing alongside Paul Went, as the centre half pairing.
    They complimented each other really well ..... Went (the big unit) attacking the 1st ball in the air, and Reeves sweeping up and winning tackles on the floor.

His man marking was something special - stuck to his man like glue and timed his moment to win the tackle or quickly intercept. His tackling was sharp and sometimes ferocious. They'd also be times when he'd look up to play the tidy simple pass on the floor to a midfielder's feet.

But he was a central defender and defending was his main strength.
  • Options

married the morning of QPR home game 3RD feb 3-3 draw.

When football was football and you needed a hard hat just in case Peter Reeves cleared the ball into the top half of the east terrance.

Could still be found in and around Charlton area when he worked for the gas board.

Charlton thru and thru one club man,still remember his second goal for Charlton 6-0 win over Swansea.

I always remember this as the Reeves match as i am sure the linesman and referee were also callee Reeves!
  • Options
    Terrific committed player, who always gave his best. A bit small for a centre back but read the game well. Think he also played as a half back (I think that was what we called a defensive midfielder back in the day.) Shame a bad injury ruined his career. Would make it in out team today, that's for sure!
  • Options

I used to watch the team train down at The Valley (often on a cinder pitch) during the school holidays. I was there once when they were getting on a coach for an away game and were all suited and booted and i was very impressed i seem to remember with Peter Reeve's holdall with was, like him very smart.

Fondly remember the back five of Wright- Curtis -Went -Reeves -Kinsey.

Cant believe that he is 70 where have the years gone.

Been thinking that myself lately! As you say, a great defensive line-up.

• Options
    Peter in his ‘cap’ 
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    He absolutely "owned" Rodney Marsh every time we played QPR during that period....how he must have dreaded facing him. Was worth the entry fee just to watch those two go toe to toe. Marsh (QPR and media big time hero and poster boy), would do his pieces as Peter snuffed him out time after time using every trick in the book, many of which would have seen him red carded in this day and age.
  • Options
    This was before the tackle from behind was banned. Reeves would take Marsh's legs first, followed by the ball. Loved the man and so sad that injury curtailed his career.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chris Perry with attitude. 
  • Options
    Its a shame when a joke has to be explained but I thought it was very good but lets explain it to @Addick1956

February 2019 and July 2022 - I think there’s a pause in between. 
  • Options
    A bear called @addick1956 goes into a pub.
    Barman says “Why the big paws?”
    Perhaps you can explain that unfunny riddle Lor Paw Paw.
    How do you know it’s unfunny if you don’t understand it?
    Because it was written  by an idiot and it is nonsense.  Not to say an unjustified attack on me from a far. Coward. 
    😄

• Options
    A bear called @addick1956 goes into a pub.
    Barman says “Why the big paws?”
    Perhaps you can explain that unfunny riddle Lor Paw Paw.
    How do you know it’s unfunny if you don’t understand it?
    Because it was written  by an idiot and it is nonsense.  Not to say an unjustified attack on me from a far. Coward. 
    Blimey, mate. Get over yourself.

The poster was only cryptically commenting that the thread hadn't been used for 3 and a half years,
    Nothing personal against you.

• Options
    Well as you can see by my moniker he was one of my favourite players plus I used to play for Villacourt Rovers where Peter would train us sometimes. Never been that fit since!