Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Peter Reeves

Ex Charlton and England player Peter Reeves will be celebrating his 70th birthday in a few weeks.
I will be attending his party and would like to present him with comments, memories and best wishes from the fans that remember him.
Peter played during the 60s and 70s, he only retired due to injury. He has recently undergone one hip replacement and is awaiting the second. More than likely due to his commitment to the sport.
Any of his ex playing buddies please email me a video with your message.
If anyone at the club monitors this site any help in contacting former team mates would be greatly appreciated.
Mitch@tett.co.uk

Comments

• married the morning of QPR home game 3RD feb 3-3 draw.

When football was football and you needed a hard hat just in case Peter Reeves cleared the ball into the top half of the east terrance.

Could still be found in and around Charlton area when he worked for the gas board.

Charlton thru and thru one club man,still remember his second goal for Charlton 6-0 win over Swansea.
  • I remember him, but was quite young. A very good player, but what I remember most was his moustache :smile:
  • edited January 2019
    I remember Peter Reeves' Mum and Dad used to travel to away games on the Lewis's coach.
    I never met Peter himself - though I saw him play most weeks.

For those who never saw him play, there's plenty of footage on this Match of the Day video that Blucher posted yesterday:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=6&v=wAVjXM043aA

• Great player for us and is he really 70? He started and finished so young.

For the benefit of the youngsters: Chris Solly at his best is probably the closest recent player we've had to Peter.

• I remember season 1967-68, Peter Reeves was only 18 and Paul Went 17.

They played CB together the whole season .... must have been the youngest regular CB partnership in the entire League.

Both England U18 internationals.
  • edited January 2019
    LenGlover said:

Great player for us and is he really 70? He started and finished so young.

For the benefit of the youngsters: Chris Solly at his best is probably the closest recent player we've had to Peter.

I'd liken him to Chris Perry good central, tight marking defender alongside big Paul Went. Played for England Youth. Saw him score v Norwich on his debut I think.
  • Best centre halfs in my lifetime
    Costa
    Reeves
    Rufus.
  • Got his autograph on a programme...got it signed at a charity match at the rectory field c 1969
  • Sponsored links:

• I saw Peter's debut on 18 May 66 vs Norwich City. He scored after four minutes, remarkably enough Charlton's SECOND goal of the night. This tigerish player always gave everything and will forever be remembered for his ever-present part in the illustrious team of 1968/69.
  • Peter was one of my childhood hero’s. The thing about Peter when he played was that he was just unrelentingly consistent. Probably one of our greatest players ever.
  • Like Oggy 67/8 my 1st season and he was the sweeper-upper to Went the enforcer. Great player.
  • Used to see him down Metrogas when I was a youngster , he was playing bowls I think or boozing !
  • The Woolwich Barrier .. Reeves and Went ((:>)
  • Oggy Red said:

I remember season 1967-68, Peter Reeves was only 18 and Paul Went 17.

They played CB together the whole season .... must have been the youngest regular CB partnership in the entire League.

Both England U18 internationals.

Just to add to my post ..... mustn't forget that Bob Curtis was only 18, playing RB alongside Went and Reeves.
    That was 3 teenagers playing in the back 4, as first choice all season.

Manager Eddie Firmani was not afraid to give the kids their chance.
    If they were good enough, they were old enough.

• One of my first heroes. Knew Reeves as "The Tank"
  • Yeah he played well Saturday
  • Sponsored links:

• He scored a og in one of the first games I went to and as a 6 year old I couldn't understand why a Charlton player woulf score for the opposition. Me Dad thought he was a great player though and I think me Dad was right.
  • 67-68 also my first season. Great to see that video of the first Charlton team I watched. I remember Peter Reeves as the toughest tackler I've ever seen (or heard) I can still hear the thud echoing around the terraces of the Valley as Reeves slid in for yet another crunching tackle.
    Only Alan Dugdale, or the Rufus tackle at Spurs, comes close to the ferocity of many of Reeves tackles.
    But we're talking about the days when it was a game for men, not whimps!
  • I remember Peter well. A very good hard tackling, tight marking defender. For a while he also coached the boys football team I played for as an 11-12 year old, Sutcluffe Park.

I think he gave up in despair. And Peter, when you read this, bear in mind I’m still shit at football, and that’s down to you mate :smile:
  • Very, very good defender. Remember him well at the back playing alongside Curtis, Went and Kinsey / Warman.
  • Davo55 said:

I remember Peter well. A very good hard tackling, tight marking defender. For a while he also coached the boys football team I played for as an 11-12 year old, Sutcluffe Park.

I think he gave up in despair. And Peter, when you read this, bear in mind I’m still shit at football, and that’s down to you mate :smile:

Yeah, but you are 63. :smile:

• RedChaser said:

LenGlover said:

Great player for us and is he really 70? He started and finished so young.

I'd liken him to Chris Perry good central, tight marking defender alongside big Paul Went. Played for England Youth. Saw him score v Norwich on his debut I think.
    Chris Perry's a good shout too being an actual central defender of similar physique.

I chose Solly though because of his hard tackling, consistency and commitment, all of which Peter had in spades, as well as similarities in physical build.
  • Oggy Red said:

Davo55 said:

I remember Peter well. A very good hard tackling, tight marking defender. For a while he also coached the boys football team I played for as an 11-12 year old, Sutcluffe Park.

Yeah, but you are 63. :smile:

Haha. I have been consistently rubbish a long time Oggy.
  • I echo so many of the comments about Peter.He was a key part of one of favourite teams of all time at Charlton - 68/69 season.A very underrated player.It would be great to see him back at the Valley.Maybe Theo could arrange this.
  • Probably the best no nonsense player we've had.
  • Oggy Red said:

Curtis - Went - Reeves - Warman

Those were the days!

And a couple of years before that, when Eddie Firmani was manager:

Curtis -Went -Reeves -Kinsey.

2-5-6-3

1-11 those were the days