Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Season Over?

Comments

• Options
    Behave, he’s been really good this season but is by no means our best player. If our entire promotion chances rest on Karlan Grant then we probably aren’t good enough to go up anyway.
  • Options

Although Grant has done well this season, there are players I would rather keep and not lose in January. For example.

Taylor.
    Solly.
    Buer
    Sarr
    Pearce.
    Cullen
    Williams.
    Bielik
    Aribo.

The permanent loss of any of the above at this stage would be a loss as they gave all had great seasons to date.

With Aribo and Page to return in the not to distant future, and possibly the arrival of two new players this then adds to a team that is playing some of the best football we have seen for years IMO.

Up the addicks.

Well Rolys still in charge,transfer window still open...?????
  • Options
    Well if at the start of the season, some one had said we would be going all suicidal because Grant was leaving, who would have believed it. £2 Million it's a no brainer to sell. However, as that is almost certainly going straight into Roland's pocket, then we will struggle for a replacement. However, unlike some on here, I think a fit again Igor could surprise some.
  • Options
    If Grant goes, and if we struggle for goals, we will just have to win each game 1-0......easy :smiley:
  • Options
    I can't believe that people even consider Vetokele to be an option. I'd be happier with Bowyer up front.
  • Options

I can't believe that people even consider Vetokele to be an option. I'd be happier with Bowyer up front.

We believe !
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Let's not be hasty Jimmy. Bowyer was a midfielder and we've got an abundance of them. Now you was a striker, what's your fitness like? :wink:
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    I think we are a pretty good prospect for any young striker wanting to make a name for himself.

We’ve got a team that look very likely to make the play-offs, a great midfield that should create plenty of chances, and an excellent strike partner in Taylor.

We have a passionate fan base and with the prospect of a change in ownership, hopefully in the not too distant future, higher gates at a Premier League sized stadium.
    We also have probably the best up and coming English manager in the league, in Lee Bowyer.

I’d personally not be surprised if Gallen and Bowyer pull off another coup before the window closes, IF we’re allowed to splash some of the Karlan cash.
    Big IF though.

[Edit: sorry, this was meant for the transfer thread]
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Even with Grant I feel we are little up against it for top 2 based on the fact that most of the sides have games in hand. Deffo think we'll finish top 6. Hopefully expeience might help us a bit this time. But to be fair my remit this year more than any other is just one game at a time.
  • Options
    Not quite season over in terms of top two IMO - although nearly...

Looking at the table in terms of games in hands I think it would be a stupidly ridiculous achievement to make it, especially with Karlan going.

Still so much left to play for though - winning at Wembley is going to be amazing!
  • Options

A no brainer ? This sale may cost us a top two spot and £2 mill won't make up for that

RD doesn’t care what happens. £2m into his pocket, if we don’t go up, he’s selling up anyway. He doesn’t give a shit. People talking on here about Bowyer getting any of the money haven’t been paying attention the last 5 (yep, that’s FIVE) years.
    Is that the 5 years in which he has lost about 60 million quid? Obviously that 2 million will help he sleep at night. Just another 58 to go.

RDs ownership of our great club has been a nightmare from the day he walked in the door BUT I doubt if any other owner, in league one, has lost as much as he has over the last 3 seasons. Even after the Lookman money he is probably 20 million down since we were relegated.

He didn't have to sign Taylor, he could have said you have Grant, Igor, rhf and Ajose, that's enough. He didn't have to sign Pratley, after all he had Lapsie, Malone et al. He could have accepted Blackburn offer for BFG, he didn't.

RD, and his employees, have been shit at the sale of players, the managment of contracts, paying over the odds for fees and contacts and many other things, but do you honestly think he WANTS us to fail? I may be wrong but I would guess we have the 3rd biggest playing budget in league 1, for the second season running. In fact we probably pay our 3 center halves more than some 1st elevens in this league earn between them.

The bloke is clueless about football, especially English football, but to think he is doing it to "spite us" is delusional at best narcissistic at worst, he couldn't give a fuck what we think.
  • Options
    He may not wish to spite us but this is the second season in a row we have sold our top scorer In January.

Any normal owner would want success on the pitch and promotion for their team. Selling your leading scorer is not the way to achieve this. And it is clear this is RD’s decision not LB’s. And not to mention the potential damages this does to team spirit and giving everything. If the owner plainly doesn’t care, why should anyone else.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Cafc43v4r states

"The bloke is clueless about football, especially English football, but to think he is doing it to "spite us" is delusional at best narcissistic at worst, he couldn't give a fuck what we think."

Agreed he has been clueless about English football BUT you don't know the inside of Roland Duchatelet's mind, and if spite comes into it. Most of us if we aren't in the religious forgive and love your enemy clan Do want to see our detractors suffer a tad.

The wisdom I have acquired in life is that rich folk either want to flaunt what they have like David Gold when he has an open day at his big house in Catherham to see his Helicopter, Rolls plus the house and gardens Or it's a power trip where your money give you status and you can manipulate your staff and customers.

Duchatelet is in the latter group as I'm not aware he is ostentatious like David Gold who did come from a poor Jewish east end background.

Don't make the mistake of trying to understand Duchatelet's logic and his feelings and comments UGH.
  • Options
    Spend some of the money on Eaves. (No way we'd need to spend anywhere near £2m!) Problem solved.
  • Options

Scoham said:

As someone said on the first page, if we can make the play offs with Magennis as a lone striker, then we should still be good enough to make the play offs this year too.

People can slag off the owner, call us a selling club etc, all of which are true of course, but the fact is we're a league one club getting 2m for a striker who's had half a good season for us and is out of contract in 5 months time. It's a blow yes, but he's not exactly irreplaceable.

When did we last have a strike partnership where both strikers should have 20+ by the end of the season? He’s not irreplaceable but it’ll be very difficult, especially with our budget.
    If we'd had more of those 20+ goal a season strikers in recent years...........they also would've been sold too. We're Charlton, not Man City.
    Agree though my point was we have them so rarely I find it odd that some think Grant will be fairly easy to replace.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Scoham said:

As someone said on the first page, if we can make the play offs with Magennis as a lone striker, then we should still be good enough to make the play offs this year too.

People can slag off the owner, call us a selling club etc, all of which are true of course, but the fact is we're a league one club getting 2m for a striker who's had half a good season for us and is out of contract in 5 months time. It's a blow yes, but he's not exactly irreplaceable.

When did we last have a strike partnership where both strikers should have 20+ by the end of the season? He’s not irreplaceable but it’ll be very difficult, especially with our budget.
    If we'd had more of those 20+ goal a season strikers in recent years...........they also would've been sold too. We're Charlton, not Man City.
    Agree though my point was we have them so rarely I find it odd that some think Grant will be fairly easy to replace.
    We should play Toby Stevenson up front. His goal to game ratio is already better than Grant's and there'd be no transfer fee to worry about. Has anyone got Roland's email address so I can float the idea?
  • Options

Scoham said:

Scoham said:

We should play Toby Stevenson up front. His goal to game ratio is already better than Grant's and there'd be no transfer fee to worry about. Has anyone got Roland's email address so I can float the idea?
    Older folk will remember Malcolm MacDonald started as a defender before being converted to a free scoring Forward at Luton.

Will Stevenson be able to rocket the ball into the net if we are not playing Stevenage ?
    We would steam up the table if this came about.
  • Options
    Tonight there are several League One matches being played, which will impact upon Charlton:

Luton v Portsmouth
    Oxford v Barnsley
    Bristol Rovers v Peterborough

Pompey's game at Luton ...... they can't both win, and a draw may well suit us.
    That'll be Luton's game in hand over us used up .... although Pompey will still have a game in hand, as they played in the Cup last Saturday.

You'd think Barnsley will pick up the 3 points at Oxford, but of course the beauty of football - you never know.

Posh have their, erm .... 'legendary' manager returning for a 3rd stint.
    Perhaps he'll give them a kick up the backside and return them to winning ways?

Anyway, teams playing their games in hand over us.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oxford beat Portsmouth the other week so not sure about that one.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Oxford beat Portsmouth the other week so not sure about that one.

That's what I was suggesting with the Barnsley fixture tonight.

• Options
    They haven't lost in the league since 8 December so in good form and not lost a player or manager...yet.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

They haven't lost in the league since 8 December so in good form and not lost a player or manager...yet.

Barnsley sold their midfielder Bradley Potts to Preston on 3rd January.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Oggy Red said:

iaitch said:

Barnsley sold their midfielder Bradley Potts to Preston on 3rd January.

They may yet lose Kieffer Moore (Striker) and Ethan Pinnock (Centre-Back) as well

Brentford had a £3m bid for the latter turned down yesterday

Not to mention they've also sold George Moncur to Luton
  • Options
    Well what do I know, thanks for the info. I knew someone was looking at Moore.
  • Options
    would take a luton win - expect them to run out of steam, and we play them at home aswell as pompey
    barnsley i expect to take an autos spot, wouldn't want them in playoffs.
    bristol rovers win for me, pboro are nothing special and im still kicking myself we didnt beat them saturday - a result that will come back to haunt us
  • Options
    iaitch said:

They also lost George Moncur to Luton!
  • Options
    It’s amazing how a team can fall apart when a couple of key players depart so let’s hope Barnsley do. If they lose three of their best players I can see them actually being pretty beatable in the playoffs.
  • Options
    Depends if we get to the playoffs, how can we win games with no goalscorers in the team?