Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Season Over?

Comments

• Options
    How many goals has Karlan scored without Taylor in the side this season?

How many goals has Taylor scored without Karlan in the side this season?
  • Options

Behave yourself, focus on the team not one player, excellent back five, outstanding midfield with a variation of defence to as well as flair, with Cullen and Williams IMO the best two midfielders in the league, and one of the leading scorers in the league in Taylor. Grant is a loss at this stage of the season, but he is still the same player that was at Crawley last season and was 4th choice last season, we have lost better players, we move on and who knows what Bowyer and Gallen who will be bringing in, we are in a great position to go to a club or player, we are forth in the league we will give you first team football, hardly a season over.

Agree with this, but we need to bring in two good strikers. I am not so sure Roland will be that generous, but we will know more later in the week.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Dazzler21 said:

How many goals has Karlan scored without Taylor in the side this season? - 2 (Bristol Rovers | Accrington)

How many goals has Taylor scored without Karlan in the side this season? - 2 (Walsall | Wimbledon)

Thats the League stats anyway.

I've included Accrington and Walsall respectively as the goals came when the other wasnt on the pitch

The only other games they've not played together were against Gillingham (Grant was missing) and Peterborough (Taylor was missing)
  • Options
    edited January 2019

No. Taylor made him look good. Igor might not have the pace if grant but I have more condition Igor/hfc or anyone else coming in getting on the end of the chances grant has missed in recent weeks.

Grant had the pace and wherewithal to get into the goal scoring positions.
    The first decent partnership up front for a decade and it's taken away before it had a chance to bare fruit.
    The window shutting was always going to be the day we know who had left and who had come in.(what our chances are for rest of campaign)
    We all thought Joe Aribo was the one going but pacey forwards who are in double figures by Jan 1st and are only 21 and have been playing 1st team football since he was 17 (in and out the team) well it's a no brainer for championship teams ( Udders will be 19/20)
  • Options
    It won’t mean season over, but it could somewhat derail our push up the table.

It will of course depend who he’s replaced with amongst other things.

Personally I don’t see anyone incoming other than a loan, RD will bank the £2m against running costs. Unless there’s s half decent striker available for free.......
  • Options
    edited January 2019

No. Taylor made him look good. Igor might not have the pace if grant but I have more condition Igor/hfc or anyone else coming in getting on the end of the chances grant has missed in recent weeks.

Trouble is Igor looked like Hasselbaink when he played for us at the end of his career after his last long injury lay off.

Even if he's only been allowed 14 chips a time in the Sparrows Lane canteen he will still take an age to get fit if indeed he does and we don't have that amount of time without a productive striker.

Taylor will miss 2 more matches for sure and there is a high probability that he will miss at least 2 more on top of that when he picks up 2 yellow cards which he manages to do in the same way office secretaries pick up yellow stickies.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Trouble is Igor looked like Hasselbaink when he played for us at the end of his career after his last long injury lay off.

Even if he's only been allowed 14 chips a time in the Sparrows Lane canteen he will still take an age to get fit if indeed he does and we don't have that amount of time without a productive striker.

Taylor will miss 2 more matches for sure and there is a high probability that he will miss at least 2 more on top of that when he picks up 2 yellow cards which he manages to do in the same way office secretaries pick up yellow stickies.
    Chances are Reeco may even drop into the Karlan role should Karlan go.
  • Options
    Are people seriously saying we won’t make the playoffs without a striker who has had 25 good games in his career! Look at the table! Peterborough struggling! Of course we will make the playoffs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Igor staying fit is a big ask. Might as well forget him.
  • Options

Igor staying fit is a big ask. Might as well forget him.

Are people seriously saying we won’t make the playoffs without a striker who has had 25 good games in his career! Look at the table! Peterborough struggling! Of course we will make the playoffs.

I think the concern is promotion hopes.
  • Options
    Not over at all.

Grant will be a loss if he goes.

But we are not a one man team.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    I know we're in a pretty good position as things stand, but if we don't 2 strikers this week i fear we we'll struggle for goals, i don't think our midfield contribute enough (Aribo aside).

Every player has their price , but its a bit of a Krystian Bielik (kick in the nuts) to flog your leading goalscorer, half way through the season.

If LB is given the fee to reinvest , i trust him and Steve Gallen, to come up with the goods, if we're scrabbling around on deadline day and end up with some over the hill donkey, the nerves will kick in!
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Not over at all.

Grant will be a loss if he goes.

But we are not a one man team.

This, whoever existing or brought in, is very unlikely to match Karlan's current ratio. However, tighten up at the back, get in someone who can score 6 or 7 and get midfield chipping in and we may not need them to.

One thing of note, we must not ignore that we have 2-3 games fewer remaining than our rivals.
  • Options
    As someone said on the first page, if we can make the play offs with Magennis as a lone striker, then we should still be good enough to make the play offs this year too.

People can slag off the owner, call us a selling club etc, all of which are true of course, but the fact is we're a league one club getting 2m for a striker who's had half a good season for us and is out of contract in 5 months time. It's a blow yes, but he's not exactly irreplaceable.
  • Options

As someone said on the first page, if we can make the play offs with Magennis as a lone striker, then we should still be good enough to make the play offs this year too.

People can slag off the owner, call us a selling club etc, all of which are true of course, but the fact is we're a league one club getting 2m for a striker who's had half a good season for us and is out of contract in 5 months time. It's a blow yes, but he's not exactly irreplaceable.

When did we last have a strike partnership where both strikers should have 20+ by the end of the season? He’s not irreplaceable but it’ll be very difficult, especially with our budget.
  • Options

This.

I don’t get the he got us 18 points rubbish. Another striker might have scored on Saturday or taken the chance he hit wide against Sunderland. Grant might have stayed and the goals dried up or a replacement might score 10 up until the end of the season. We will never find out. It will be a blow but let’s see who replaces him first. It’s only time to panic if we have to stick maxwell up front. We aren’t going into matches with 10 men, it’s still 11 v 11 and our 11 with or without grant is a good team and we will be in the promotion mix come may.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

When did we last have a strike partnership where both strikers should have 20+ by the end of the season? He’s not irreplaceable but it’ll be very difficult, especially with our budget.
    If we'd had more of those 20+ goal a season strikers in recent years...........they also would've been sold too. We're Charlton, not Man City.
  • Options

Scoham said:

If we'd had more of those 20+ goal a season strikers in recent years...........they also would've been sold too. We're Charlton, not Man City.
    he's talking about pairings where they combined have 20+ by the end of a season.

Not one player that scores 20+ a season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't think we'll be affected as much as people think.

I'd be ecstatic to get £1.5m for him if it wasn't going to that c**t.
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:

We got to the playoffs last year (in a stronger league) with Josh Magennis playing as the solo striker in the 4231.

Auto’s are a stretch now but I’m very confident we can do well in the playoffs

stronger league. What are you on?! This season the division is far better than last year at the top
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Scoham said:

he's talking about pairings where they combined have 20+ by the end of a season.

Not one player that scores 20+ a season.
    Although, given Taylor has scored 15 goals this season (12 in the league) and Grant has 14, it's not inconceivable that both could have reached 20 goals for us by the end of the season.

As it is, Taylor will probably reach the 20 mark whilst Karlan will probably struggle to get to 15 for the year in Huddersfield's side.
  • Options
    Although Grant has done well this season, there are players I would rather keep and not lose in January. For example.

Taylor.
    Solly.
    Buer
    Sarr
    Pearce.
    Cullen
    Williams.
    Bielik
    Aribo.

The permanent loss of any of the above at this stage would be a loss as they gave all had great seasons to date.

With Aribo and Page to return in the not to distant future, and possibly the arrival of two new players this then adds to a team that is playing some of the best football we have seen for years IMO.

Up the addicks.
  • Options

I know we're in a pretty good position as things stand, but if we don't 2 strikers this week i fear we we'll struggle for goals, i don't think our midfield contribute enough (Aribo aside).

Every player has their price , but its a bit of a Krystian Bielik (kick in the nuts) to flog your leading goalscorer, half way through the season.

If LB is given the fee to reinvest , i trust him and Steve Gallen, to come up with the goods, if we're scrabbling around on deadline day and end up with some over the hill donkey, the nerves will kick in!

Correct and should have been the opening post.
  • Options
    Has Grant definitely gone yet????????, if yes then a decent loan signing just might be as effective, we are a bloody good league 1 side, players still to come back from injuries so still have an outside chance of an auto place. Would prefer it if Grant stayed but we move on if he does.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    would need 32-35 points min from the remaining 48 for autos imo, and would mean beating pompey and luton at home.

saturdays missed pen and general shit performance 1st half will cost us dear

really fancy barnsley to kick on, think we will finish 5th and face sunderland in playoff semis
  • Options

This. I like Grant, but I would be a lot more worried if we were losing Taylor.
  • Options
    with regards to last season we finished 25 points off of 2nd so quite a gap.