Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton player exits - your painful memories

Comments

• Options

We've always sold our best players, no wonder we don't get anywhere.

That’s not true, Paul Bacon was released.
  • Options
    Departures during the season always feel worse. One game they're playing the next day or so they've gone. Somehow sales in the summer don't feel so bad, as you haven't seen the player play for a while and you still have that optimism that you'll have new exciting players to watch instead. And it's less of a surprise too, I was sad to see Minto go, but it was entirely expected and planned for.

Robert Lee was gutting. Necessary to get us back to The Valley, but we had started the 92/93 season so well. Selling him for a pathetic fee, and to our main (at the time) promotion rivals made it feel even worse!
  • Options
    My second full season was 64/65 so it has to be Mike Bailey. I was also sorry to see Frank Haydock go.Maybe the season after?
  • Options
    Weird one this, but when Frazer Richardson left. Was a couple of weeks after the Swindon game, and I knew we were properly screwed as a club when we sold him, probably saved us from Administration that summer, but a proper reality check moment.
  • Options
    Parker going was the beginning of the end, I don't blame him for going, it was the manor he left, if he has stayed we could of had a crack at Europe. That in tern might have made Jensen and Di Canio stay.

I feel the Yann transfer has become a focal point of hatred of RD, that's not to say he wasn't a massive loss on the pitch.

As has been said, we have always sold our best players but the timing of the Parker departure and the pointlessness of Yann going are the 2 that still sting.

Although no player leaving has ever hit me as hard as when Sky announced Curbs was leaving. I was watching the game in a pub in Leeds crying like a baby.
  • Options
    For me no player loss hurt like losing Killer to Derby, you youngsters have no idea how good he was......
  • Options

Paul Went, muscular, rock solid defender, thought he could play at a much better club, but went to bloody Fulham, couldn't believe it!

I can't quite remember the exact circumstances of his departure, but here is the league table from 71/72. Went, went about this time, must've been the reason I guess.

Yeah, Ray Treacy and Paul Went were sold because we were relegated.
    They were highly rated young players and established at 2nd Division level. Treacy was in Eire international.

Having never played in the 3rd Division, you can't really blame them for wanting to leave.

• Options

Andy Hunt - not just leaving us but his entire career due to illness. Oh what could have been had he managed to play on for us.

second this, him and Mendonca having to retire. Broke my little heart back then when Clive hung up his boots. What a player and man he was.

Leaving for another club, Parker for me just unforgivable.
  • Options
    1) Parker
    2)Hales
    3)Yann
    4)Grant
    5)Walsh
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can I start a "Valley toilets bowel movement exits - your painful memories" thread?
  • Options

Andy Hunt - not just leaving us but his entire career due to illness. Oh what could have been had he managed to play on for us.

This is exactly how a lot of us older supporters felt when the late great Johnny Summers passed away.
  • Options

Completely agree... Hurt all over again when he wasnt given a Contract after coming back on trial
  • Options

I think you're telling porkies.
  • Options
    Len Glover to Leicester. As a kid I worshipped him.
  • Options

I think you're telling porkies.
    My brain is a bit frazzled
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Len Glover to Leicester. As a kid I worshipped him.

£80,000 ..... a record for a winger at the time.

It wasn't quite his 'Get out of Jail free' card though.

And the next game, home to promotion hunting Blackpool, we replaced him with LB Brian Kinsey, who very early in his career had once been a winger.

Poor old Brian, didn't quite have any pace to take on his man.
    We lost 2-0 and he never played left wing again.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Just off the top of my head!

John Humphrey - to that lot too!
    Paul Mortimer - thank god we got the chance to see him wear the shirt again
    Paul Williams - my first goal scoring hero
    Robert Lee - gutted, but needed to be done
    Scott Minto - I played full back a lot when younger, so loved watching him play
    David Whyte - hated curbs for a while for freezing him out in place of bradley allen. Bradley fucking allen!!!!
    Lee Bowyer - the best player ive seen in a charlton shirt, but destined for bigger things
    Scott Parker - t*sser
    Di Canio - just one more season would have been a joy
    Yann - heartbroken

There might be a couple I've forgotten, but Danny Murphy certainly aint one. Nasty piece of work.

Edit - how could i forget Andy Reid. Class player abd a class bloke. That really effed our season up
  • Options

Losing Hunt and Mendonca to career ending injury/illness in such a short period of time. How unlucky
  • Options
    Always sad to see good players leave,agree Hinton,Bailey,Leary etc.but with Parker we were going somewhere,and his leaving took a lot away from the club.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Hearing from fans on here young and not so young makes me realize that from Seth Plum to Karlan Grant(WIOTOS) it never gets any easier to see players leave before their time. Shocking memories of all the above players leaving (can't quite remember Seth Plum !)
    Other than Kinsella who was on his last legs, though we didn't realize at the time of transfer to Villa, and Bent who at least didn't leave until we were relegated ( we bought Darren after Ipswich were down so we can't complain) most of the others were caused by lack of ambition (Gliksten) or sheer incompetence by Douchebag. Murray TBF offered Parker a Million pound loyalty bonus to stay plus a big wage increase but his head had been turned and the tantrum sealed the deal on Parker day (31 Jan)

I guess this is why so many of us have a love hate relationship with Charlton athletic.
    For the older fan we have witnessed Bailey, Bonds, Kenning, Glover, Campbell etc from the late 60's and 70's to the young guns of Gomez, Lookman, Konsa etc of the recent academy.

There should be a get out clause when you become a cafc fan. Even when I'm not at the match I'm in a mental trance watching or checking the score.

Charlton till I die.(cause of death:broken heart)

But there's nothing unusual about us losing players. ALL clubs (unless you're a Real type giant) lose loved players. Spurs lost Bale and Modric to Real, Campbell to Arsenal and Sheringham to Man U. Millwall lost Sheringham to Forest, Palace lost Wright to Arsenal, West Ham lost the likes of Cole, Lampard and Carrick (and Defoe). Southampton have sold a team of players

Conversely, we've taken Bent from Ipswich, Taylor from Wimbledon, Mendonca from Grimsby, Jensen from Bolton, Holmes from Northampton, Kinsella from Colchester etc
  • Options

Hearing from fans on here young and not so young makes me realize that from Seth Plum to Karlan Grant(WIOTOS) it never gets any easier to see players leave before their time. Shocking memories of all the above players leaving (can't quite remember Seth Plum !)
    Other than Kinsella who was on his last legs, though we didn't realize at the time of transfer to Villa, and Bent who at least didn't leave until we were relegated ( we bought Darren after Ipswich were down so we can't complain) most of the others were caused by lack of ambition (Gliksten) or sheer incompetence by Douchebag. Murray TBF offered Parker a Million pound loyalty bonus to stay plus a big wage increase but his head had been turned and the tantrum sealed the deal on Parker day (31 Jan)

I guess this is why so many of us have a love hate relationship with Charlton athletic.
    For the older fan we have witnessed Bailey, Bonds, Kenning, Glover, Campbell etc from the late 60's and 70's to the young guns of Gomez, Lookman, Konsa etc of the recent academy.

There should be a get out clause when you become a cafc fan. Even when I'm not at the match I'm in a mental trance watching or checking the score.

But there's nothing unusual about us losing players. ALL clubs (unless you're a Real type giant) lose loved players. Spurs lost Bale and Modric to Real, Campbell to Arsenal and Sheringham to Man U. Millwall lost Sheringham to Forest, Palace lost Wright to Arsenal, West Ham lost the likes of Cole, Lampard and Carrick (and Defoe). Southampton have sold a team of players

Conversely, we've taken Bent from Ipswich, Taylor from Wimbledon, Mendonca from Grimsby, Jensen from Bolton, Holmes from Northampton, Kinsella from Colchester etc
    It's all in the timing though.

We lose ours in January when we have a bit of momentum and buy in the close season.
  • Options
    Di Canio leaving in a very low-key fashion was one that hit me. Thought he was a fantastic player and was going to have a great season but he was sneaked out of the back door after saying he was homesick IIRC
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

We lose ours in January when we have a bit of momentum and buy in the close season.
    Poor old Ipswich lost Hredersson, Holland and Darren Bent to some London club.
  • Options
    vff said:

When Scott Parker had left Charlton were in an excellent position & could have realistially finished 4th. Parker going ripped the heart out of the team. Chelsea bought him for the bench & undemine Charlton. Parker hardly played & after an injury was sold on. Never forgiven Parker or Chelsea.

To be fair played fairly regularly the rest of that season under Ranieri, including Champions League quarter-finals and semi-finals, but once Mourinho arrived in the summer he didn't get a look in. Agree that he was primarily signed to ensure we wouldn't finish above them in a CL spot though.
  • Options

LenGlover said:

Poor old Ipswich lost Hredersson, Holland and Darren Bent to some London club.
    They did indeed.

Not in January though.
  • Options

Di Canio leaving in a very low-key fashion was one that hit me. Thought he was a fantastic player and was going to have a great season but he was sneaked out of the back door after saying he was homesick IIRC

he was wanted by Lazio who were absolutely brasic at the time and he couldn't say no as he is a massive fan.

the club agreed to tear up his contract as they understood the club was so important to him

• Options
    LenGlover said:

We did buy Andy Gray in January...
  • Options
    Haven't read through all of this thread, but one that stuck with me was Soulymane Diawara when we sold him right at the end of the transfer window the first season after relegation from the premier league. I know he had a bad game vs Wycombe that many never forgave him for, but I thought he has decent player and would have been a top player in the Championship. Him a Majid Bougherra would've been a good pair I think and Diawara went on to have a good career in France, playing in the Champions League so I think that backs up the idea he could have been good for us given a bit more time and patience.

Selling Bent was inevitable as he was too hot a property for us to keep him, but having had that money come in, plus the parachute payments, it felt like we shouldn't be forced to sell anyone else. Letting Diawara go that late in the window kind of confirmed the lack of ambition to get back up, which was only heightened by letting Andy Reid leave in January. It was the tiotal opposite to what we did when we got relegated and then re=promoted. We sold Mills that year, but reinvested in players like Kiely and hanging onto the likes of Kinsella and Rufus paying dividends in the long run.
  • Options
    Killer to Derby
    Lee
    Parker
    Yann (within days of the belgian loony taking over, & he still hasn’t learnt from this mistake!)