Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton player exits - your painful memories

Comments

• John Humphrey

Bumped into him at Charing Cross and said there was a rumour on Clubcall that he was gonna join Palace. He said ‘ I wouldn’t join that lot’
  • Kinsella. But that said had his knees not been so packed in he would have had stayed and got a testimonial.
  • Yann was bad - still don't think I'm over it!
  • Has to be Parker for me as well. The manner of his leaving at a time when we were going really well in the Prem was an absolute sickener.
  • edited January 2019
    philcafc said:

Has to be Parker for me as well. The manner of his leaving at a time when we were going really well in the Prem was an absolute sickener.

In the heat of the moment nobody will thinks rationally. I certaianly was irrational at the time and was mad for a long time. Putting on my rational hat if someone offers you several thousand pound payrise you would want to go to the new job and your old boss says no then you and I would be angry no matter the crappy timing. But yeah the Parker move couldn't have been much worse times. That said our first game in Feb that year was at Chelsea and had he stayed he could have picked up a season ending injury in that game playing for us. We will never know. Course it still hurts though.
  • Coquelin.
    Alright, so it was just 5 games but I’d already thought he would turn that season around. Then when he galvanised the Gunners I knew we had missed out.
  • Great thread this, mine are:

Scott Parker
    Yann
    Andy Reid
    Darren Bent - purely because it hit home that we’d been relegated
  • Blucher said:

So many over the years but, as a young kid, I felt a little bit heartbroken when Alan Campbell went to Birmingham back in 1970. It was on the cards after Eddie Firmani severely criticised him publicly after a 4-1 home defeat to Hull but it still hurt.

As the years go by, you become a little bit hardened to the sale of players but Paul Elliot's departure in the early 80s really cheesed me off, given the paltry fee of £95,000, which we were forced to accept because of our desperate financial position.

Scott Parker was always going to move on at some point but the manner of his departure and Abramovich's financial muscle-flexing left a very sour taste.

Even now I can still visualise Alan Campbell.
    Although he never really went on to better things.
    I agree - for a player who was talked of as a potential Scottish international (at a time when they had some really outstanding players), Alan Campbell never really fulfilled his potential. He was perpetual motion for us and the fulcrum of that 68/69 side. Watching that 1968 edition of Match of the Day versus Hull City on YouTube reminded me of his dynamism and all round quality - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAVjXM043aA
  • Sponsored links:

• Campbell still had a decent career. Made his debut at 17 and played almost 200 games for us. Went on to play over 500 league games many of them in the top division.
  • stonemuse said:

Andy Reid going was a big disappointment

Yes, and late on deadline day too. Never replaced him & partly the reason why we are in this mess.
  • Parker is (not was, still can't get over it) the king of all kicks in the balls - A bleeding mess of a disaster that killed everything that came before (bar the stadium development), the perfect moment when we went from huge ascension, in one moment, seesawing into inevitable decline.

the 4-2 against Chelsea was our peak, the moment he signed for Chelsea we began falling away.

• A mention for the boy that left us without playing a single first team game but a player that we all knew had so much potential: Jermaine Defoe.
  • Peter Shirtliff and Simon Webster.
  • Paul Went, muscular, rock solid defender, thought he could play at a much better club, but went to bloody Fulham, couldn't believe it!

I can't quite remember the exact circumstances of his departure, but here is the league table from 71/72. Went, went about this time, must've been the reason I guess.

• Parker, Reid and Yann.
  • When Scott Parker had left Charlton were in an excellent position & could have realistially finished 4th. Parker going ripped the heart out of the team. Chelsea bought him for the bench & undemine Charlton. Parker hardly played & after an injury was sold on. Never forgiven Parker or Chelsea.
  • Lenny Glover going was the first that really upset me. Parker going was, IMO, just a waste of an opportunity.

I like Grant but if he goes, he goes, it’s an opportunity for somebody else because whoever has come into the team this season has staked a claim for the spot
  • Sponsored links:

• Parker
  • Robert Lee of course 😜 but it was a sacrifice we had to make at the time for the longer term goal of getting back to the valley.

Parker had a big effect but he needed to go.

Webster as well,

• When Tony Watt left it did me in ,still getting therapy for it.

Was that the first time, the second time or the third time?
  • Rob Lee. Remember Middlesbrough were in for him but it looked like he’d stay as they backed out. Then Newcastle swooped.

Also, Simon Webster. My favourite player at the time with that last minute wonder goal against Bristol City and those pile driver free kicks at Swindon and somewhere else. £500k to West Ham felt like we’d given him away.
  • There’s been so many but Killer to Derby tops my list.
    Following closely in second is Killer to Gillingham.

Hales to Gillingham was weird. He started the season with a hat-trick away to Cardiff and had 8 goals by the end of September and became all-time top scorer. Then he just disappeared. I remember reading a two-liner in The Evening Standard saying he'd gone to Gillingham, who were a division below us!!!
  • Simonsen said:

There’s been so many but Killer to Derby tops my list.
    Following closely in second is Killer to Gillingham.

Hales to Gillingham was weird. He started the season with a hat-trick away to Cardiff and had 8 goals by the end of September and became all-time top scorer. Then he just disappeared. I remember reading a two-liner in The Evening Standard saying he'd gone to Gillingham, who were a division below us!!!
    From memory, I think the suggestion at the time was that Lennie saw him as a challenge to his authority.
  • Blucher said:

Blucher said:

So many over the years but, as a young kid, I felt a little bit heartbroken when Alan Campbell went to Birmingham back in 1970. It was on the cards after Eddie Firmani severely criticised him publicly after a 4-1 home defeat to Hull but it still hurt.

As the years go by, you become a little bit hardened to the sale of players but Paul Elliot's departure in the early 80s really cheesed me off, given the paltry fee of £95,000, which we were forced to accept because of our desperate financial position.

Scott Parker was always going to move on at some point but the manner of his departure and Abramovich's financial muscle-flexing left a very sour taste.

Even now I can still visualise Alan Campbell.
    Although he never really went on to better things.
    I agree - for a player who was talked of as a potential Scottish international (at a time when they had some really outstanding players), Alan Campbell never really fulfilled his potential. He was perpetual motion for us and the fulcrum of that 68/69 side. Watching that 1968 edition of Match of the Day versus Hull City on YouTube reminded me of his dynamism and all round quality - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAVjXM043aA
    Thanks for posting the video. Brought back a lot of memories, not least Bob Curtis’s bright yellow, not blonde, dyed hair! That game was one of two home games I missed that season so I was delighted when it was MOTD that evening.

With regard to Alan Campbell, although he probably never quite fulfilled his potential he did move on to slightly better things. He moved on to Birmingham and was part of the team that won promotion to the top flight in 1972 ( the year we dropped to the third division ) and then he played in the top division for a few seasons.
  • We've always sold our best players, no wonder we don't get anywhere.
  • Paul Walsh, then Scott Parker for me, the Parker one was the one that got me and finally rid me of my naivety that players are not loyal (and why should they be it's a paid job) its us fans who suffer, I would like to meet Parker though face-face and have a quiet word in his ear. Still not sure his greedy move benefitted him with England caps, another season with us just might of though, no doubt he would say otherwise.
  • Andy Hunt - not just leaving us but his entire career due to illness. Oh what could have been had he managed to play on for us.