Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton player exits - your painful memories

Comments

• Options
    So many over the years but, as a young kid, I felt a little bit heartbroken when Alan Campbell went to Birmingham back in 1970. It was on the cards after Eddie Firmani severely criticised him publicly after a 4-1 home defeat to Hull but it still hurt.

As the years go by, you become a little bit hardened to the sale of players but Paul Elliot's departure in the early 80s really cheesed me off, given the paltry fee of £95,000, which we were forced to accept because of our desperate financial position.

Scott Parker was always going to move on at some point but the manner of his departure and Abramovich's financial muscle-flexing left a very sour taste.
  • Options
    Blucher said:

So many over the years but, as a young kid, I felt a little bit heartbroken when Alan Campbell went to Birmingham back in 1970. It was on the cards after Eddie Firmani severely criticised him publicly after a 4-1 home defeat to Hull but it still hurt.

As the years go by, you become a little bit hardened to the sale of players but Paul Elliot's departure in the early 80s really cheesed me off, given the paltry fee of £95,000, which we were forced to accept because of our desperate financial position.

Scott Parker was always going to move on at some point but the manner of his departure and Abramovich's financial muscle-flexing left a very sour taste.

Even now I can still visualise Alan Campbell.
    Although he never really went on to better things.
  • Options
    One that didn't happen (sorry).

John Humphrey and Paul Williams both about to be sold to QP ha ha ha.

Stood on the terrace at St James Park singing "don't go Johnny, don't go Johnny".

I'm sure it made all the difference and they stayed (for a while at least)
  • Options
    Chizz said:

In addition to Killer to Derby, there was one, other, cataclysmic departure which hit very, very hard at the time.

Sometimes when a player goes, however much a "Charlton" player he seemed at the time, you know he's going for the right reason. Derek Hales *was* Charlton. In the same way, years later, Scott Parker *was* Charlton. Same for Paul Walsh, Paul Elliott, Yann Kermorgant even Rob Eliot. Their departures were truly awful, not just because they were really good players, not just because they appeared to have more to offer Charlton, but because they seemed to transcend football and to be the personification of Charlton. Their departures were inevitable, but heart-breaking. And made worse by how much they were the very fabric and heart and soul of the club.

But there was one man whose loss seemed so difficult to understand, so demoralising, so genuinely and utterly awful, that it beggared belief at the time. He'd been with the club for a decade. Dragged the team forwards. Made the club his own and become a man on whom all hopes seemed to rest. And for that man to decide he no longer wanted to call Charlton home and to choose to go to another club was utterly unfathomable and cut very, very deep. His departure was the slack-jawed moment; the time Charlton fans looked at each other in disbelief; the man on whom Charlton had relied, but whose loss we had to accept and overcome.

And, to be honest, to this day, and despite the momentous and spectacular successes and failures since then, I still can't accept that Lennie chose to move on.

I'm afraid he had that nice Mr. Gibson in his ear at Boro.
  • Options
    Killer in 1976 was the most heartbreaking for me.

The Kermogant saga still rankles, whereas Killer, Parker and even Karlan Grant are the food chain in operation, that one was done just to show who was boss.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Stuart Leary 1962 to QPR......as a young kid of 14 I was heartbroken.
    Best player I have ever seen in an Addicks shirt.
  • Options
    Charlton selling players since 1921.
    Can only blame Duchatelet since Jan 2014.
    Elliott and Paul Walsh to Luton for peanuts takes some beating.
    Parker put Murray in a terrible position by his tantrums but loosing him on Jan 31st was a blow that we never recovered from.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    First name that comes to mind straight away is Yann.

That’s the last time I was genuinely, absolutely gutted when a player of ours was sold. That transfer sent me to have depressive states.

Other recent ones I’ve kind of expected but losing Grant now is a huge blow to us whatever way anyone wants to dress it.
  • Options
    Think it was Glover, Bonds and Campbell in my case.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Miguel LLera to Sheffield Wednesday ! Was gutted !
  • Options
    Alan Campbell to Brum and Derek Hales to Derby. I’m not entirely sure Karlan is doing the right thing at this moment in time. I hope he isn’t another young talent who disappears into obscurity but I fear this will be the case.
  • Options
    Our two best prospects for years, Walsh and Elliott, going at the beginning of successive seasons were real body blows.
  • Options
    When Tony Watt left it did me in ,still getting therapy for it.
  • Options
    Travelling up from Rye, at the time, I gave up for a while when Paul Walsh left.
  • Options
    I was 13 when Scott Parker left. It devastated me at the time and I still haven't really recovered. I will never forgive him for the timing and the manner of him leaving.

Yann hurt but everything hurt at the time so I think that numbed it a bit. I was both shocked and extremely confused when Jensen left as it seemed to be out of nowhere and he was a brilliant player. I was pretty miserable when Powell left the first time too; I got it, but he was my favourite player and it didn't seem right him leaving.

At this stage it's hard to muster any feeling about Grant leaving other than disappointment that it might keep us in this shit league. As long as Roland's here it's difficult to let the highs get too high or the lows too low because there's a fog of apathy over the whole thing. Not sure that's what Curbs had in mind when he said it..
  • Options
    Killer to Derby for me as well. I remember reading it on the back page of the Evening Standard and was gutted.
  • Options
    Scott Parker and Darren bent. Could at least understand bent going
  • Options
    Killer to Derby.

Grant to the Prem is just bonkers.
  • Options

stonemuse said:

Andy Reid going was a big disappointment

I remember when he left Pardew said we would be a better team...

The guy literally carried us for half that season
    Literally?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Paul Mortimer to Villa. I loved watching Mortimer. Gutted when he left.
  • Options
    Blucher said:

Alan Campbell was my first Charlton hero ... loved watching him play.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Many of the above including Killer, Walsh, Elliott, Lee, Leaburn, Parker, Yann.

But also gutted when we didn't keep Jorge Costa - apparently he was all set to sign but his wife had just had a baby and wanted to return to Portugal. To think he went on to lift the UEFA Cup then the European Cup. It could have been us!!
  • Options
    Billy Bonds
  • Options
    Mark Kinsella. Was absolutely broken to hear he'd been sold to Villa, and came completely out the blue. Other than Super Clive, Kinsella was most responsible for our rise to the Prem and his move away felt so low key within Charlton circles.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Blucher said:

I think Alan Campbell was sold after the episode where he was found guilty of being drunk and disorderly and gave his occupation as Labourer. Some nice person informed the club.
  • Options

stonemuse said:

Blucher said:

I think Alan Campbell was sold after the episode where he was found guilty of being drunk and disorderly and gave his occupation as Labourer. Some nice person informed the club.
    Wow, didn’t know that.
  • Options
    Robert Lee, I was too young to understand the significance and it was my first “favourite player” to leave us. Think I cried, supporting Charlton has always been character building.
  • Options
    Jim Melrose. My first football hero. I scrubbed his face off my team poster in fury. And cried.
  • Options
    Parker obviously. Claus. Robert Lee. Mark Stuart.