Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Peterborough v Charlton - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    Lord_Bob said:

Gutted that Charlton is responsible for the dismissal of so colourful and well-rounded a manager as Steve Evans. What a shame.

Definitely well rounded.
  • Options
    Darren Ferguson appointed
  • Options
    chappers said:

Darren Ferguson appointed

Darragh MacAnthony's been at the speed-dial again
  • Options

I don’t think Grant missed the pen because he is leaving. He would want to leave with a winning goal.
    He missed because he is not that good.

By that logic Taylor’s worse because he’s missed more penalties.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Definite pen, the challenge took him out of the box.

Grant worked hard and it’s a shame he tried to be smart rather than use power. The more worrying part of his game is that he isn’t getting on the end of dangerous balls anymore. He should have got on the end of Hackett-Fairchild’s cross.

I liked their number 9, his movement was good in the first half and caused sarr problems. Sarr was a beast second half

Phillips continuing to prove the haters wrong. Still don’t understand why he chested the ball clear in the first half
  • Options
    Threw away 2 points....disappointing performance and missed Taylor.....just got back home from Peterbrough only to be cheered by Evans firing...
    ..however they are a basket case club and Darren Ferguson may as well be made Manager for life now....he won't get a job anywhere else.
  • Options
    Anyone else notice the lack of pubs in the city centre
  • Options
    Just got back & posting post pizza......

Grant didn't look confident with the pen & having looked at it just now on Sky he needed a longer run up - 2 steps is feeble.

Saying that, I would have taken a draw before the game & it keeps us in the top 6 with Peterborough trailing behind us.

Game was ok but too many sloppy passes & not enough oomph from midfield.....now where have I read that before ?? Back 5 did their jobs well with Williams & Cullen also pulling their weight. Beliek assured as usual. Didn't think too much of Recco but J think RHAT penalty miss soured things from then on.

If Grant does go then we need at least one decent striker in before Thursday.......pref 2. If we don't then 6th spot will be a battle.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Happy with a point at halftime but disappointed not to get 3 at the end.
    Stewarding of the motorpoint stand was excellent. Friendly, helpful and up for some banter.
    Looked like Leuth was on for a threesome.
  • Options
    Home, dinner down, post match thoughts.

Draw probably a fair result, better point for us than them. Grant should never have taken a penno if all the gossip is true, I'm sure Ben Reeves or anyone else could have taken it. They may have missed it as well, hindsight and all that but I don't believe Grant had the right mindset. I can't question him for the rest of the game, looked lively was just missing his strike partner.

Everyone else pretty solid, Williams the best player on the pitch again no surprise there. Reeves looked good on the ball just a tad slow at times, Purrington had probably his best game for us so far, very solid. I would give Naby MotM, one bad pass I counted and other than that he looked very comfortable. Cullen very good second half, last shout to Reeco, good appearance, heard a few comments around me that he didn't have a clue etc but I thought he looked fairly decent and had he been on from the start who knows.

Peterborough were crap, hoofed it long for most of the game, only player who had anything about him was Maddison imo, shite Jonnny Williams but that ain't a bad thing.

Quality from us, in fine voice considering the football was pretty bang average.

And unlucky Evans pal, couldn't have happened to a nicer bloke.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Grant waved goodbye at the final whistle. Two distinct but short waves. Only posting as it seems no one else has so far picked up on this. He's on his way.
  • Options

Bielik lucky not to be sent off imo. A clear pull back that could easily have been a booking later in the second half, got away with that one

Almost word for word as my comments on the players marks thread :wink: .
  • Options

Bielik lucky not to be sent off imo. A clear pull back that could easily have been a booking later in the second half, got away with that one

Not to mention the almost comically cynical ‘tackle’ in the first half.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    chappers said:

Grant waved goodbye at the final whistle. Two distinct but short waves. Only posting as it seems no one else has so far picked up on this. He's on his way.

I saw it more of an apology for missing the pen.
    You what? Sorry but don't see how that correlates
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Bielik and Baur joint man of match for me.

Reeves another disappointing performance.

Grant did OK up front (told at the game by someone who should know that he is 100% gone next week) but his penalty miss was bloody awful, sponge foot would have done better than that.

Another clean sheet but 2 points chucked away.

Oh just remembered our free kicks were shit today.
  • Options
    Ok sooty for me readin

chappers said:

I saw it more of an apology for missing the pen.
    You what? Sorry but don't see how that correlates
    Blimey! Only commenting on what I thought I saw!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I always come to the post match thread to make sense of what too often looks from where I sit (ifollow mostly ) like 90 minutes of random panic.
    People here explain formations and tactics but I find linking what I read with what I see during our games require quite a lot of wishful imagination.
    Bowyer is a great motivator, and I feel like every game we give it all, and respond really well to the opposition.
    But when it comes to creating our own moves, i don't see much of a plan other than relying on individuals skill.
    Surely there should be a bit more to us than Taylor, Williams, Grant, etc'.
    Still, not a bad result against a top 6 side away from home...
    Great support !!!
  • Options
    Not sure why we took Williams off. Would have taken reeves for fosu myself
  • Options

Not sure why we took Williams off. Would have taken reeves for fosu myself

Hoped Bow would bring on Lapslie rather than Fosu.

Guts & determination required at the end of the game, not finesse IMO.
  • Options
    If Grant goes next week then that's it for automatic promotion - say goodbye to that once and for all.

Taylor still has four games of his ban left and, let's be honest, is going to miss more games before the end of the season with the yellows he picks up.

You can discount Igor completely, even if he does get fit he is nowhere near the player he was.

That means we need two more strikers in by the end of the deadline who can actually add something to the team and I think we all know that won't happen.

We'll probably end up signing a couple of Premier League kids on loan who will do bugger all and we'll either miss the Play Offs or stumble into them and lose as we did last year.

Last year we went into the second half of the season with only one goal-scoring striker, Maginnis (and he was hardly prolific!) and failed to go up and we are about to make exactly the same mistake again.

We've seen this story before, you can't rely on midfielders to score goals, if they can get them it's a nice bonus but you want your strikers scoring regularly and it's no coincidence that in our three most recent promotions we have had this.

97/98: Mendonca, Bright, Steve Jones.

99/00: Hunt, Mendonca

12/13: Wright-Philips, Kermorgant

Putting all the weight on Taylor is asking for trouble especially as our best goal-scoring midfielder, Aribo, is injured.

I know there is money involved but if he has any say in it then Bowyer has to keep Grant - even if it means losing him for free - because losing him means another season in League One.
  • Options

If Grant goes next week then that's it for automatic promotion - say goodbye to that once and for all.

Taylor still has four games of his ban left and, let's be honest, is going to miss more games before the end of the season with the yellows he picks up.

You can discount Igor completely, even if he does get fit he is nowhere near the player he was.

That means we need two more strikers in by the end of the deadline who can actually add something to the team and I think we all know that won't happen.

We'll probably end up signing a couple of Premier League kids on loan who will do bugger all and we'll either miss the Play Offs or stumble into them and lose as we did last year.

Last year we went into the second half of the season with only one goal-scoring striker, Maginnis (and he was hardly prolific!) and failed to go up and we are about to make exactly the same mistake again.

We've seen this story before, you can't rely on midfielders to score goals, if they can get them it's a nice bonus but you want your strikers scoring regularly and it's no coincidence that in our three most recent promotions we have had this.

Putting all the weight on Taylor is asking for trouble especially as our best goal-scoring midfielder, Aribo, is injured.

I know there is money involved but if he has any say in it then Bowyer has to keep Grant - even if it means losing him for free - because losing him means another season in League One.

Taylor has 2 games left mate - not 4
  • Options

I thought he got five games for violent conduct?
  • Options
    I'm not sure Grant is the reason we're doing well. His success is the consequence of the quality around him.
  • Options

I thought he got five games for violent conduct?
    Nope that was the Accrington player. Taylor got the usual 3 match ban for a red card