Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Peterborough v Charlton | Sat 26 Jan | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• edited January 2019
    Sorry FA, I cannot find anything wrong with your team this week :smiley: Even without Taylor and assuming Grant will still be with us, 1-2 win. I hope we get a result as we did a few years ago when I used to listen to Adrian Durham on Talksport. We won well that day in 2010 1-5 and Durham gave out the first few goals and then said he was not going to give out anymore when we kept scoring. (For those who do not know, Durham is a Posh supporter).
  • I think this game could go any way, so I'll say 1-1.
  • The first 20 minutes sees 2700 Charlton fans arguing over who's supposed to be sitting /standing where..

1-1
  • I will be there, don't want it, but I fear a defeat by two clear goals.
  • seth plum said:

I will be there, don't want it, but I fear a defeat by two clear goals.

What! You were the one who floated the idea of going up there in the first place and now you're being a Negative Nellie?!

Argh. Anyway, see you at Kings Cross Saturday morning.
  • PaddyP17 said:

seth plum said:

I will be there, don't want it, but I fear a defeat by two clear goals.

What! You were the one who floated the idea of going up there in the first place and now you're being a Negative Nellie?!

Argh. Anyway, see you at Kings Cross Saturday morning.
    I have the tickets. Which exact platform oh London Bridge Roland Placing Expert?😃
  • with the away fans being the 12th man, Charlton will have too much for Posh 0-6 away win
  • This is a game that suits us.

Peterborough will attack us and put crosses into the box but with Solly, Purrington, Bauer and the other bloke in front of Philips, who's good in the air, we can cope with that.

As they will come forward they will leave gaps and they are not so good defending. We can create chances, especially with their main defender out.

Taylor is a big miss and Reeeeeco maybe isn't ready yet but here's his chance in a nearly full strength and confident side. Morgan is a great example of a young player taking his chance and in this very together squad RHF might surprise a few people.

3 - 1 to the Addicks
  • Steve Evans traditionally plays with a packed middle and prefers to play with a Pizza - Pie - Burger formation, occasionally employing a hot dog behind the burger.

I'm not sure if Reeco is the answer up front (sorry Henry) but I certainly wouldn't want Fossy playing alongside Karlan; he's best suited on the flank, taking on the full-back, and getting in crosses.

I'd be inclined to play Grant as a sole striker and play Jonniesta and one of Fossy and Reeves as half-forwards (the other one to be an impact sub to run at a tiring Posh defence). Ideally, I'd like Clarke in that position but he's obviously not yet fit enough/out of the door soon (delete as applicable).

If Solly and The Cat are able to push forward, Bielik can drop back to provide defensive cover with the Becken Twins.

Phillips

Solly - BeckenBauer - BeckenSarr - Cat

Bielik

Cullen - Lapslie

Jonniesta - Fossy or Reeves

Karlan

Subs: Maxwell, Dijksteel, Pratley, Marshall, Fossy or Reeves, RHF, The Force

EDIT: A prediction wouldn't go amiss ...

Lord Bowyer's Red & White Army to continue its march towards Division Two football with a resounding 2-0 win, Bielik to score from a corner (and this time it counts as Lyle won't be there to dismember the oppo goalie and concede a free kick) and Williams to get his first for the club.
    Essy Tiger :wink: .
  • Sponsored links:

• Would be odd to see Reeco start when you look at the other talent available. Hell of a lot of pressure on the youngster to replace Taylor in a (relatively) big match like this one.

Fosu is showing glimpses, and Marshall has looked up for it in his recent performances.

But tbh, if Bowyer starts Reeco that'd be ok by me, as he's got most of his selections right this season and may have seen something in training. Really looking forward to the match whoever starts.

1-2

PS I loved @Briston_Addick 's 'BeckenBauer - BeckenSarr' combi.
  • The first 20 minutes sees 2700 Charlton fans arguing over who's supposed to be sitting /standing where..

1-1

So as this will be me and my son's first away game..as we boughts) season tickets this season (He is 5) is it a free for all seat wise or go to seat allocated on the ticket?
  • NM18 said:

The first 20 minutes sees 2700 Charlton fans arguing over who's supposed to be sitting /standing where..

1-1

So as this will be me and my son's first away game..as we boughts) season tickets this season (He is 5) is it a free for all seat wise or go to seat allocated on the ticket?
    I think you'll only find out when you get there.
  • NM18 said:

The first 20 minutes sees 2700 Charlton fans arguing over who's supposed to be sitting /standing where..

1-1

Get there early and get to the front.
    With this amount of support I think everyone will be standing.
  • NM18 said:

1-1

I would suggest getting in early and going to your seats.
  • NM18 said:

1-1

This. Anybody with a ticket that is near the front and who wants to stand is automatically going to look for a seat near the back. Anybody turning up late from the pub will do the same but just look for a spare space and claim it.
  • NM18 said:

1-1

Sad to hear. Standing is dangerous for those standing and those seated when sold out. It matters not a jot in a half empty stadium, but in a full stadium it would not hurt for everyone to take their own seat and then stay seated so all can enjoy the day.

I realise I am pissing in the wind!
  • Redrobo said:

NM18 said:

1-1

Sad to hear. Standing is dangerous for those standing and those seated when sold out. It matters not a jot in a half empty stadium, but in a full stadium it would not hurt for everyone to take their own seat and then stay seated so all can enjoy the day.

I totally agree with you but if you have a five year old with you then sit at the front or put him on your shoulders.
    Unfortunately that is how it will be
  • 3-1 Charlton.
  • Nice convincing win in front of a packed away end. Get in there!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Redrobo said:

NM18 said:

1-1

I totally agree with you but if you have a five year old with you then sit at the front or put him on your shoulders.
    Unfortunately that is how it will be
    ....or if you can’t stand? Even being near the front means you have to hope that there are not fans standing in the middle.

The rules about not standing are there for the safety and comfort of all supporters. Why do those wishing to support their team have to suffer because some wish to break the rules? Why would you want to do that to your fellow fans anyway? Is it too much to ask that for one match that standers hold back?

Oh, and can parents with 5 yr olds not make it all worse by putting kids on your shoulders? Thanks.
  • My unnerving Charlton spider senses, honed on years of experience... tells me we will fuck up this one.

2-1 to Posh

A post match trip to Pizza Hut for Evans...

Oi !!! Stop knicking my negativity ;)

Bad feeling about this one. Like me the team will be firing blanks. 2-0 to the Posh.
  • edited January 2019
    3:2 Charlton, Sarr with winning goal.

YALLA YOU REDS YALLA !!!
  • 2-1 win and another dust up between Bowyer and Evans. We owe them for that win at The Valley.

Phillips

Purrington Bauer Sarr Solly

Bielik
    Cullen Reeves
    Williams

Grant RHF

Maxwell, Dijksteel, Marshall, Pratley, Fosu, Ocean, Lapslie.

Not that concerned about starting RHF, he’s been in the squad for most of the season and Bowyer would have been pleased with his cameos so far this season.

• Had a dream that I missed the game and when I checked the score it was 5-1 us full time, 5 different scorers for us. Lump on it
  • Redrobo said:

NM18 said:

1-1

If you are pissing in the wind you should not have any problem finding a space
  • Sage said:

Peterborough’s home form isn’t too good having only won 5 from 14 whilst scoring 17 and conceding 19. They’ve also only won twice at home in their last 6 matches, Wimbledon and Rochdale. Although our away form isn’t the greatest in the division, we actually have a better away form than Peterborough do have home form, albeit only by goal difference being positive in our favour and negative in theirs.

Peterborough usually play a 4-4-2 or a variation of the system, sometimes having one of the strikers dropping off and making it more of a 4-4-1-1 or 4-2-3-1. They play with wingers, but wingers who love to try to carry the ball, dribbling rather than passing. They do of course have Toney up front who has been scoring their goals most recently, but I am confident our solid back four can contain them, especially with Bielik and Cullen both having the ability to sheild and protect them. How they often play is going long from the back, holding it up, getting it out wide and putting low crosses into the box once their wingers have tried to beat their man. Both Solly and Purrington will have to be on it defensively not to get beaten, and of course we must make sure we win the second balls when they go long, so this is a big job for Bielik to mop up effectively. Defensively Peterborough are not too good, having watched numerous bits and pieces of them, they don’t like to press and they often lose their man when the opposition have runners off the ball.

Regarding us, it goes without saying really that Taylor is going to be a huge loss for us, his ability to pin defenders back and around him causes so much space for Grant’s pace to exploit, this is why I feel the partnership works so well, not just that they’re continuously looking for one another. I would fully expect us to go with our usual diamond which has worked so well, Luton play the same system and they ought to have won by more than 4 against Peterbough last week. We must make sure we match them in the battle, but more importantly, when we have the ball we have to use it wisely, passing and moving. They don’t like to follow runs, they don’t like to press, with the midfield of Cullen, Williams and Reeves, that is strong enough to be clever with the ball, to create chances and to move it at a decent tempo.

Personnel you would assume picks itself, as Reeves has to come in for Pratley, even if it’s for his cameo off the bench last week, Reeves was excellent and will provide us with the good range of vision to find those runs. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Fosu start too, alongside Grant up front but with the freedom to drop wide and cause problems for their defence as they won’t know who is meant to pick him up, with Williams too, that gives us the ability to have players able to find pockets of space to hurt them. I would be tempted to go with that and leave Hackett-Fairchild on the bench as I don’t think he’s ready to start a game yet, especially of his magnitude. However, I can see the appeal due to his stature, he is more similar to Taylor than any other player we have.

Do the right things, do the things that Bowyer demands of them, the way we play, how we can move the ball, and we can hurt them. I’m going to put Hackett-Fairchild in the team but I really do think that it could be Fosu instead.

Phillips
    Solly Bauer Sarr Purrington
    Bielik
    Reeves Cullen
    Williams
    Hackett-Fairchild Grant

Maxwell, Dijksteel, Pratley, Lapslie, Marshall, Fosu, Ocran

Peterborough 0-2 Charlton Athletic
    Reeves
    Grant
    Perfect!
  • The Addicks boss will be without the suspended Lyle Taylor but hinted a change of formation is unlikely.

He said: “We’ve got Reeco (Hackett-Fairchild), he’s training today and we’ve got another young lad who was on the bench on Saturday, so we’ve got strikers. At the moment nothing is really going to change for us, obviously Lyle is big for us but we’ve got other personnel that can come in.”

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5c49f3d2acfaf/bowyer-on-2600-addicks-selling-out-peterborough-game-and-what-hell-do-without-lyle-taylor