Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Boiler cover

Recommendations please folks, need to deal with this before it's too late. Been looking at the British Gas ones but I reckon there's better deals out there .

Comments

• Much cheaper to wrap an old duvet or blanket round it.
  • British gas are fine but negotiate the price...
  • Like all these types of cover it’s worth reading the small print. See what’s actually covered. You can use comparison sites to do some research about what you get for what you pay but in the end I think it’s a false economy to skimp on this. Get the boiler and all controls, valves etc covered plus parts and labour. Pretty much one call out pays for your annual payments plus you will get your boiler serviced.
    I use British Gas and over the years have called them out five or six times. Well worth the money.
  • Another happy British gas customer.
  • Seem the BG homecare two package may well be the one for me then.
  • Aviva covers our boiler on home insurance...as long as it's serviced once a year....mind you i think Mrs H pays a little extra for this.
  • Also worth noting that some cover carries an excess.
  • Had various cover in the past but BG have been the only ones who were able to come within 24 hours and not cancel appointments. A little pricier but could not fault their service.
  • I have had British Gas for many years now, I would recommend them
  • edited January 2019
    where are you based? my aunt had british gas cover for whole system and they qouted her a powerflush and a new radiator when i took a look it was just the trv pin was stuck down, run a firm in west london although we do not do boiler cover we do go out to a lot of ex british gas customers, if in Kent swale heating are pretty good and do carry out boiler cover and heating system packages.

as others have said read small print as any way they can get out of honouring a contract they will - this is the same through most firms
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2019
    Happy with British Gas homecare. It’s expensive but I get a regular service from someone you know isn’t a cowboy and I’ve had them round to fix all sorts of things. Had my extractor fan in downstairs bog replaced yesterday. I remember about 20 years ago having to find a plumber in the middle of the night to fix a burst pipe in the attic about a month before we ripped the whole thing out to do an attic conversion. I have had BG cover ever since just for the peace of mind and it has been well worth it.
  • Homeserve has done us well over the past couple of years.

Last year they changed so many parts the guy said it's pretty much a new boiler now. Something like £11 a month.
  • WSS said:

Homeserve has done us well over the past couple of years.

Last year they changed so many parts the guy said it's pretty much a new boiler now. Something like £11 a month.

100% this. I have a Homeserve policy that covers our boiler, washing machine, tumble dryer, dishwasher, 2 x freezers and fridge. Plus it has added extras like burst/frozen pipes etc.

All for £250.00 per year.
  • edited January 2019
    Boiler cover?
    Also known as knee length dress.
  • I find that a simple cupboard does the trick.

• Had murder with British Gas homecare.

They ordered the wrong radiator 3 times over a period of 2 months and then admitted they couldn't get what we needed. Their attitude was that their insurance only covers the radiator not the rest of the property so they would fit what they can and we had to pay for our bedroom to be modified and accommodate. I argued that they performed an inspection prior to the cover starting and had agreed that they could cover my insurance needs.

I offered them three resolutions and they rejected each one.

In the end I took them to the Financial Ombudsman and got a full pay out for 5 days missed work, moving the radiator to the other side of the room, new floor boards and new carpet.

One of my resolution offers was to change the door around so it opened in to the landing rather than the bedroom. Still don't know why that was rejected.
  • I find that a simple cupboard does the trick.

Red & white tiles?
  • I have found British Gas Homecare to be a license to rip you off.

They covered my boiler at home and then when it started leaking they basically said we won’t sort it out permanently because it’s too old but we will make it work for a few weeks which is all we have to do.

They covered the fairly new boiler in the flat I used to live in and when it stopped working properly they replaced the bit it needed but said that they would refuse to cover it unless I bought, from them, power flush and a magnetic system thing.

I checked the prices and they were about 1.5 times standard.

I had them also for drains and electric on the flat and they cancelled a load of appointments for fairly simple stuff.

Unfortunately for a catch all insurance I haven’t yet found better, have just got to know trades better who are prepared to do emergency reasonably for a customer that keeps coming back over the years. Probably saved a small fortune.
  • Been with BG Homecare for years. Pricey but they are pretty good.
  • I have found BG to be pretty good so far...don't forget you get a free annual service from them with the homecare product. I recently changed the boiler in my house with them and including a years free homecare and a new stainless steel tank plus sludge trap and WIFI thermostat for about £2700. other local people were in excess of 3k, so they are not always the most expensive as others make you believe.

They do like to keep your scrap so that they can retrieve some money back, until some pikeys turned up and pinched the copper tank even after they were told to piss off.

One dodge BG did try to get on me when replacing the boiler, was to replace other items such as TRV's and the timer, I refused as these are covered on the homecare product.