Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Who's doing dry January?

How's it going for you?

I can't say I've noticed a massive difference in general health, but I do seem to sleep and wake up a bit easier.

I should also admit I gave myself a few days off this month as I had two weddings to attend. Who can not drink at a wedding?

Can't say I miss it during the week, but sitting at home on Saturday night watching the football, I certainly do.

I've also just moved into a new co-working space that has three beers on tap but have so far resisted any temptation.

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2019
    I'm only drinking on dates that are divisible by 2, by 3 or by 5 that aren't prime numbers
  • Options
    Nope
  • Options
    nope, Peterborough away and Snow Patrol Saturday.
  • Options
    It’s not been dry, but I have cut down quite a lot.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    I was going to but lapsed on the first Friday...I've cut down though.
  • Options
    Been doing it every year for 30 years. Been monitoring my weight and associated figures daily in the last few years, and I always get a payback by the end of the month.

This year I got the Dry January app, it's just a little supportive mechanism, but it has provided one important insight. I am passing up on 270 calories a day through not drinking to my usual level - that's why there is the payback.

I also sleep better and have much more energy in the morning. Weekends are for me too the toughest times.

Wouldn't want to do it any month other than January, it is the easiest month to hibernate. Going to a pub and not drinking is really hard, especially here, where the full glasses of beer with their foaming white tops just look soooooo beautiful...
  • Options
    No certainly not.
  • Options
    Tried it, made it to the 4th
  • Options
    No. Did Stoptober. That was enough...
  • Options
    I'm dryish this month, only drinking when out in the evening which effectively means I'm drinking once a week

Painful watching MOTD without a drink, especially when Palace are losing!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chunes said:

How's it going for you?

I can't say I've noticed a massive difference in general health, but I do seem to sleep and wake up a bit easier.

I should also admit I gave myself a few days off this month as I had two weddings to attend. Who can not drink at a wedding?

Can't say I miss it during the week, but sitting at home on Saturday night watching the football, I certainly do.

I've also just moved into a new co-working space that has three beers on tap but have so far resisted any temptation.

alcoholics
  • Options
    Did dry 2018, following it with 2019, also ditched a fairly unhealthy herbal habit.

Sleep much better and generally feel a lot better, especially with my alertness.

Not really lost any weight though, which has pissed me off, guess I love food too much.
  • Options
    No. Ideally I’d like to cut down a bit midweek throughout the year though and not follow others.
  • Options
    My biggest challenge is trying to stop drinking beer. It just makes me fat now. It’s been a great ride but the relationship has become toxic so I want to leave beer for G&T but I just keep coming back for more.
  • Options
    Brought a large stash of red wine (bottles and a couple of boxes) from France at the back end of last year.
    The plan was to consume the delicious red juice over Christmas and a new years eve party.
    Our Christmas consumption was much less than expected.
    Our new years eve revelers arrived with more bottles than we (16 party revelers) managed to drink.
    So, we've got enough wine to last for a long while.
    But, just a few days into the new year I developed a bad hacking cough (to much kissing on New Years eve according to my wife) and was unable to enjoy any alcoholic libation due to medication.
    The half full box of red wine (from New years eve) sits waiting for me to recover my craving.
    So having been dry for most of January and recovering from Man Flu, I think I may resist the temptation to return to my alcoholic ways and see if I can survive until February.
  • Options
    There's a Dry January App? Good heavens!
    I had a month off in November and it was the easiest I've ever done, was not tempted once and I am a serious drinker. Had a very heavy December and the plan was in January to just drink at weekends. Again have found it really easy doing the weekend drinking, it's just the non-drinking Mon-Thurs that I'm struggling with!
    It's been interesting in my pub seeing people give up, one fella came in on Saturday and said his missus had insisted he gave up Dry Jan as he was so bloody miserable and another broke yesterday lunchtime as he was "so bored!"
  • Options
    Not dry January but when I returned from Blighty last week I’ve stopped drinking & eating anything with sugar.
    I contracted Lymes when I moved here. And have stupidly been ignoring the symptoms. The worst for me is a constant back ache. Lyme bugs love sugar & alcohol slows the metabolism.
    It’s only been a week but I can feel my back easing already.
    I love beer, so going to the pub is a challenge.
    I’ve found Heineken 00 & Erdinger actually quite tasty! So I don’t feel I’m missing out.
    The real challenge will be when Killersbeard & his Missus come over in February! Eek!
  • Options
    I've accidently done it so far.

Never been a big 'at home' drinker, just used to go out a lot. Now having young kids I do neither!!
  • Options
    Yep, but I always abstain from New years day to my birthday in March. That said from Feb onwards I will have one or two days when I will have a drink, theres a couple of Birthdays etc. in our family.
    The reason I do this is because booze messed up my old man and caused him to have a a quadruple heart bypass when he was 64 and ultimately diabetes, further artery blockages and finally cardiac arrest, which done for him 3 years ago. However, when he was on his way he told me that he had never stopped laughing his whole life, and would do it all again.....!
    I gave up for a whole year couple of years ago, just because I wanted to, the thing is I dont miss beer that much , but I do miss a nice glass of red with a decent meal, also the first time you drink again following a prolonged absence from drinking you get pissed on two glasses of wine.....
    Not forgetting the money that you save by not drinking....!
  • Options

Never been a big 'at home' drinker, just used to go out a lot. Now having young kids I do neither!!

I’m the same, only really drink at home if we have company. Not been pub yet so total for Jan has been 2 glasses of wine, 1 Bottle of Bud and 2 cans of Guinness
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My other half and I have stopped drinking during week days. It's not much of a hardship but I've noticed that I'm drinking a little more than I used to over the weekend.
  • Options
    Couple of pints at the Shrewsbury game, and likely a couple more at Peterborough.

That's it in January - and I've lost 12lbs (not eating much either!!).
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Stopped drinking red wine and beer since 2nd January. Have one pre-mixed can of G&T an evening, the rest is low-calorie lemon flavoured tonic water (about 1 litre a day). Feel better all round, sleep better and hence may carry-on through Feb. Total units a week is 9.1.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Couple of pints at the Shrewsbury game, and likely a couple more at Peterborough.

You've lost 12lbs in 21 days? Bloody hell.
  • Options

Same here. I think my last alcoholic drink was NYE but the fact I've been dry since then is pure luck.
  • Options
    I'm doing dry Monday
  • Options
    Chunes said:

bobmunro said:

20 days actually - I bought the scales on the 2nd!
  • Options
    Chunes said:

bobmunro said:

Depends what your starting weight is, of course. I usually lose about half that but I'm starting from around 11 stone. Not to sound smug. I am sure Bob is also a lot taller than me, it isn't difficult.

• Options

Chunes said:

bobmunro said:

Depends what your starting weight is, of course. I usually lose about half that but I'm starting from around 11 stone. Not to sound smug. I am sure Bob is also a lot taller than me, it isn't difficult.

Starting at 16st - and I'm 7'6" tall!