Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Talksport/Curbishley

edited January 2019 in General Charlton
Was looking at the Talksport schedule and noticed at 8 tonight Alan Curbishley is on with John Motson taking about his career .

Thought it might interest you guys ..

Good luck for the season - hope you can catch Luton !

Comments

• Options
    Such a shame
  • Options
    I know it’s a pipe dream but at some point I’d love to see him back at Charlton.
  • Options

I know it’s a pipe dream but at some point I’d love to see him back at Charlton.

Me to in some position but not manager, he has been out tblhe game to long IMO, the game has changed so much since his day, also if he was manager it would mean we would have lost Lee Lee Lee Bowyer
  • Options

Me to in some position but not manager, he has been out tblhe game to long IMO, the game has changed so much since his day, also if he was manager it would mean we would have lost Lee Lee Lee Bowyer
    He’s been out of the game too long imo nd probably too long now for any big club to take a chance on him. I don’t agree about the game changing though, it’s still the same, only the faces change.
  • Options

He’s been out of the game too long imo nd probably too long now for any big club to take a chance on him. I don’t agree about the game changing though, it’s still the same, only the faces change.
    I think you’re both right. The game has moved on a bit in terms of the power players have and perhaps Curbishleys time at The Valley when he controlled things pretty much top to bottom a la Alex Ferguson is no longer a model that is practical but I’m 100% certain he still recognises what’s needed in a footballer in terms of skill and attitude and could definitely set a team up at least as well as anyone other than the top top managers.

• Options
    Cannot believe he does not have a job at a prem club. He could keep a team up. Would love to see him at CAFC as a DOF
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2019
    JiMMy 85 said:

What does “being out the game too long” actually mean?

The day to day involvement on the training ground plus all the contacts you have made by networking plus being up to date with wages and agent fees.
    Will the 25 and under players even remember Alan's record in football ?

Kevin Keegan was away from football for nearly four years after playing golf and relaxing after leaving Man city and getting the Newcastle job. Critics said that was too long.

Alan Curbishley has been away from management and all that entails for a decade, that what " being out the game too long means".
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

The day to day involvement on the training ground plus all the contacts you have made by networking plus being up to date with wages and agent fees.

Kevin Keegan was away from football for nearly four years after playing golf and relaxing after leaving Man city and getting the Newcastle job. Critics said that was too long.

Alan Curbishley has been away from management and all that entails for a decade, that what " being out the game too long means".
    He can always start again I am certain he'd be snapped up by a league 1 side.
  • Options
    U
    Dazzler21 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

He can always start again I am certain he'd be snapped up by a league 1 side.
    He could but I don’t think there’s any chance of him looking below the Championship and even then only with a biggish club.

• Options
    He could do a job somewhere - scouting?

Maybe he does and we just don't know about it..

Unlike other ex managers out of work Curbishley isn't on the radio/tv every day...
  • Options

He could do a job somewhere - scouting?

Maybe he does and we just don't know about it..

Unlike other ex managers out of work Curbishley isn't on the radio/tv every day...

Don’t he’s short of a few quid tbh.

• Options

Once he sued West Ham for damages he was never going to be offered a managerial role again.

I think he has though but knocked the offers back.

• Options

Once he sued West Ham for damages he was never going to be offered a managerial role again.

I thought that he was offered the Wolves job when they were in the championship under the previous owner. He accepted but changed his mind without signing the contract ?
  • Options
    RobRob
    edited January 2019

If you missed it, listen again here.

https://talksport.com/radio/listen-again/1548014400/

There's a Sirius radio station in California called SiriusXM FC. This morning I had been listening to some of the Fulham/Spurs game in my car. Later on I got back in the car and Curbs dulcet tones came through loud and clear. I never knew the station was affliated with Talk Sport. Made my day.

Only shame was I missed the Charlton bit so thanks for posting this link. Hopefully it'll work from here.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fantastic interview, although nothing really new as it has been spoken about previously
  • Options

I thought that he was offered the Wolves job when they were in the championship under the previous owner. He accepted but changed his mind without signing the contract ?
    Wasn't he offered it on a short term basis when McCarthy was sacked in the PL?

Curbs did have that brief spell at Fulham as well, when he had some sort of General manager type job, strange that it didn't work out for him
  • Options
    Doesn't he earn a small fortune watching the sky live games and highlighting the "issues" for half time and full time discussion?
  • Options
    Really good interview. He still has his own way of pronouncing Pardew
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Doesn't he earn a small fortune watching the sky live games and highlighting the "issues" for half time and full time discussion?

I know he did a bit of punditry work out in Singapore....but that was 10 years ago.
  • Options
    He was in the Keith Peacock lounge on saturday and has been to the last few home games.
    Apparently he is still doing pundit work in the Middle East which I would imagine pays very nicely.
  • Options
    Yes, he shows up on Bein sport semi-regularly as studio guest/pundit.
  • Options

If you missed it, listen again here.

https://talksport.com/radio/listen-again/1548014400/
    </blockquote
    Thanks for putting this up it was a great listen. Had a lump in the throat at times cheers