Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Whitstable restaurants

Comments

• Options

Samphire near Wheelers is good. Jojo’s for a few cocktails and the Meze. Decent wine list at The Sportsman, but felt it was too up itself and overpriced.

A restaurant voted the best in the country two years running that’s overpriced.....well there’s a surprise, what did you expect falconwood?
    Up itself......well I guess that goes with the territory too.

• Options

Samphire near Wheelers is good. Jojo’s for a few cocktails and the Meze. Decent wine list at The Sportsman, but felt it was too up itself and overpriced.

A restaurant voted the best in the country two years running that’s overpriced.....well there’s a surprise, what did you expect falconwood?

I’ve never been but intend to now. I checked out the menu online and for a restaurant voted best in country I think the prices are amazingly low.

• Options
    For lunch, you'd be hard pressed to beat Samphire, in the high St, real diverse menu, never been disappointed and I've eaten there many times. The Sportsman is fantastic but you'd need to book well in advance and is not really Whitstable, it's between Seasalter and Graveney.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
  • Options

Got to be honest I've been to the sportsman and wasn't impressed, outside its a bit of a dump and I found the food good but not exceptional.

Agree for what it was, was totally overpriced. The service was very good but the food as I've said good not exceptional.
  • Options

I think I will go for Wheelers ahead of the Sportsman cos they have more interesting fishy things, however it is closed until 24th Jan, but therefore I reckon that if I call then, we should be OK for 1st Feb lunch.

And will be back in good time to visit @Riviera's fine establishment.

After lunch you can pop across the road to The Ship Centurian.....a Freehouse pub that regularly wins awards.
    Real ales and German beers on tap.....previous owner was a larger than life German named Armin Birks who sadly died back in 2013.
    I assume the family still own it?
    Yes his son Roland is the landlord.
  • Options

Got to be honest I've been to the sportsman and wasn't impressed, outside its a bit of a dump and I found the food good but not exceptional.

Agree for what it was, was totally overpriced. The service was very good but the food as I've said good not exceptional.
    Same experience I had. Paul Hollywood was in there the night we went and it seemed the place was only interested in him. Prefer Jojo’s. The owner is very friendly and looks after us everytime we’ve been there.
  • Options
    Paul Hollywood is hilarious. He dresses like a teenager from 1988, anachronic grump. Good tip for the Sportsman Prague is you can bring your own bottle of wine for £10 corkage: Double check, but he was happy to do last year.

I think the food is way above general 1 Michelin star in this country. I wasn't blown away by it, just came away satisfied that their a la carte was priced right and the plates satisfying. Agree on Samphire too. Good food and nice people. Never been to Wheelers but they're all bring your own I believe.
  • Options
    Been to the sportsman a few times for the tasting menu. Loved it every time. Would go back in a second if I could bloody get in!
  • Options
    Samphire is brilliant too, we ate in there a couple of years ago last minute, place was empty and I was astonished how as it was incredible.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The bloke who owned Whitstable Brewery also owned the Chequers in Farningham. Used to get good beers there. I think he owned a restaurant in Whitstable too.
  • Options

Been to the sportsman a few times for the tasting menu. Loved it every time. Would go back in a second if I could bloody get in!

Bob Geldof is a regular......he lives not far away in Faversham.

• Options

The bloke who owned Whitstable Brewery also owned the Chequers in Farningham. Used to get good beers there. I think he owned a restaurant in Whitstable too.

That's the Green family, they own a hell of a lot of businesses in Whitstable and surrounding areas.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

That's the Green family, they own a hell of a lot of businesses in Whitstable and surrounding areas.
    Do they own the Oyster Co. restaurant, which bigs up the Whitstable beers, or am I over-thinking that?

• Options

Riviera said:

Do they own the Oyster Co. restaurant, which bigs up the Whitstable beers, or am I over-thinking that?

Yes they do.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Mrs Fiiish and I stumbled upon Salt Marsh, hidden inside the pub garden of the Duke of Cumberland, on a Saturday night.

For around 20 quid each, the chefs kept bringing plate after plate of food. I think the thing was called 'Feed us'. No menus but if you indicated the kind of thing you were after (fish, pork, roasted veg etc) they would cater to your taste.

Was absolutely excellent for the price paid and the staff were friendly and helpful.
  • Options
    mendonca said:

How many Oysters can one neck?

6 does it for me

My daughter ordered a box of 24 for New Years Eve and it turned out I was the only one who ate oysters. Did all 24.
  • Options

mendonca said:

6 does it for me

My daughter ordered a box of 24 for New Years Eve and it turned out I was the only one who ate oysters. Did all 24.
    That is a truly heroic effort.

• Options

mendonca said:

6 does it for me

That is a truly heroic effort.

Heroics wasn’t eating them it was shucking them.
  • Options

Same experience I had. Paul Hollywood was in there the night we went and it seemed the place was only interested in him. Prefer Jojo’s. The owner is very friendly and looks after us everytime we’ve been there.
    We've never been the The Sportsman but we've been to Jojo's a couple of times and have liked the food, the drink and the staff.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

We've never been the The Sportsman but we've been to Jojo's a couple of times and have liked the food, the drink and the staff.
    Is it still bring your own alcohol?
  • Options

Is it still bring your own alcohol?
    No, nice cocktail bar at front now.
  • Options
    If you enjoy decent Sunday lunch in a pub garden with great views, The Rose in Bloom at the top of Joy Lane is worth a visit. Easy parking and there us an alleyway between the houses a few down from the pub that takes you to the beach.
  • Options
    Sir Peter Cushing is good £8.99 for steak and a pint on Tuesdays.
  • Options

Whereabouts is that Chippy ?

• Options

Up the main street... The old cinema....
  • Options

Up the main street... The old cinema....
    Ah.Havnt been to Whitstable for about three years now. I presume that’s been done in that time ?

• Options
    It opened in 2011.